Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Trollologist posted:

Does anyone remember that time that Ray Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero arguably the 2 greatest Latino wrestlers in WWE history, had to solve a custody dispute....

With a ladder match?

They literally hung custody papers from the rafters and fought over the parenting rights of a child.

I'm not sure if this is better or worse but WCW had a "Judy Bagwell on a pole (actually a forklift)" match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UDGGTHT1pk&t=1110s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
A few years ago my brother invited me to Los Angeles to celebrate my birthday at some new brewery he had discovered in downtown LA.

To get there, we had to wander through some of the worst poverty I've ever seen in my life. Hundreds, maybe thousands of people living in tents on the street. We were taking a winding, bizarre path through the neighborhood, almost as if we were avoiding something. It was raining. I was depressed.

We arrive at the brewery and I can't help but notice there's quite a few people wearing wrestling t-shirts. Huh. Maybe this neighborhood has a lot of wrestling fans. The beer was unremarkable. After we left, we approached a building that was unmistakable to me. The Temple. The set where they film my favorite show, Lucha Underground. I was just happy to see the exterior. I knew I'd never see the show in-person. Getting tickets was nigh impossible. They were free, but you had to get really lucky and snag them the instant they were available. After I remarked to my brother that that's the place where they film the thing, I kept walking down the sidewalk. I soon noticed I was alone. I looked back and saw my brother and my girlfriend walking into the entrance to The Temple. I said, "Hey, you can't go in, you need tick..." He turned around with three tickets in his hand. "Surprise. Happy birthday."

I would've cried tears of joy if I wasn't in shock. The security guard asked to take my photo. He said he'd rarely seen anyone so happy. I think he might have been worried, like maybe he thought I'd go nuts or something. We filed into the packed hall. They had us sign stuff promising we wouldn't spoil the show online, as it wasn't going to air for several more weeks. No cell phone use, of course. And I had to get some merch, price be damned. Chavo Guerrero was there, busy setting up some kind of angle with special guests going into the locker room. His biceps were the size of watermelons. Retired wrestlers are either in wheelchairs or jacked to the gills.

This was the fourth and final season of Lucha Underground, (only wrestling show done in a seasonal format that I'm aware of) so this actually took place in the New Temple, set in the old Union Central Cold Storage, a giant ice warehouse. The original Temple had to be vacated due to supernatural phenomena beyond the control of Lucha Underground's owner and promoter, Dario Cueto, played by the excellent actor Luis Fernandez-Gil. This season was presided over by Dario's father, Papa Cueto, played by the excellent actor Luis Fernandez-Gil in a wig.

As the taping started, ring announcer Melissa Santos warned us that by attending, we had agreed that we might come into contact with... bodily fluids! Most of the crowd were locals and regulars, they knew the routine. The chants of "BODILY FLUIDS" began on cue. You see, during a previous season of the show, Sexy Star and Mariposa concluded their feud in a "No Mas!" match, wherein the only way to win is to make your opponent say, "No mas!" Part way through the match, they had climbed up into the rafters directly above the audience. I can't remember if it was one or both of them bleeding profusely from the head, but blood did come down like rain upon The Believers, LU's term for their fans. Instead of ducking for cover like sane, normal people, The Believers felt blessed to be included in the crimson ritual. To say that LU's fandom had become cult-like would not be an exaggeration. It might even just be perfectly apt. In the very beginning, the producers had set up the hometown hero, Prince Puma, to be the running protagonist of the show. And they loved Puma, no doubt, but he didn't quite bring the violence the way they wanted it. By season four, Puma was Carl Winslow status. His Urkel? A man called Pentagon Junior.

You see, back in the day in Mexico, there was a good guy luchador named Octagon. He needed a geometric foil, so Pentagon was invented. Pentagon got old and fat and passed the mantle to his "son," Pentagon Jr. The young shape had, as I understand it, an unremarkable career in Mexico before coming to the US to film the first season of LU. It had been decided by the veteran wrestlers working on the writing side of things that they were going to "make" this kid. It is rumored that they asked Alberto El Patron, who was coming off a rollercoaster ride of a WWE run as Alberto Del Rio, to put Pentagon Jr. over, to lose to him in dramatic fashion, hoping to pass some of Alberto's fame (or infamy perhaps, these days) onto the younger performer. It is rumored that he refused, saying that he only wanted to work with people at least as famous as himself. He spent season one in a feud with another former WWE guy, Johnny Mundo, the renamed John Morrison. It was meh compared to Pentagon's character arc. Absolute meh.

After each of his matches, Pentagon would break his opponent's arm. These were sacrifices... to his dark master. He vowed to keep making them until the master appeared. Why? "Because I am Pentagon Junior... the fearless one!" It sounds a lot cooler in Spanish. "El Cero..... MIEDO!" Eventually, the roster was running out of arms to break. Vampiro, retired wrestler and color commentator, confronted Penta about his bad behavior. Penta didn't give a gently caress. He threatened to pour gasoline on Vampiro and light him on fire unless Vampiro agreed to come out of retirement, have a match, and risk being the next sacrifice.

Stone Cold Steve Austin said this was his favorite match of the year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDR6tOXzt6Q

I won't spoil it. The dark master finally made his appearance. Pentagon spent season two learning the ways of darkness. The crowd loving loved it. The more violent he got, the stronger his cult grew. I don't think the producers had a choice, they had to put the championship on Pentagon. He was the protagonist now. So anyway, back to the taping I attended:

The entire show was loving lit. The crowd was hot for everything. Just when I thought we couldn't possibly scream our lungs out any harder, the man makes his entrance. I think Pentagon could have literally killed somebody in the ring and we would have cheered. When he arrived, the whole thing went from 10 to incalculable. It was insane.

Lucha Underground got cancelled after that season. poo poo, the network it was on ceased to exist. But in many ways, I think that show is what started the current wrestling renaissance. New faces, new ideas. Those "cinematic" matches people started doing a couple years ago? Ripped off from LU's style. The primary conceit in a wrestling show is that it's a live broadcast of a sporting event, with the performers acknowledging the existence of the camera, staring straight into it, addressing the audience. LU decided all their backstage segments would be shot like grindhouse films. As a result, the television audience is aware of story progression outside of the ring that the live audience is not. Business meetings in El Jefe's office. Nunchucks battles in the locker room. That... thing... that Dario keeps locked in the basement.

Lucha Underground is dead, but it passed on its DNA to the rest of the industry. Pentagon is kicking rear end in AEW. Prince Puma, well, I hope he's getting paid decently in WWE. It's rumored that Dario Cueto is still out there, providing unique opportunities to fighters willing to make deals with that devil.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lucha is blood, lucha is life

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I've heard nothing but great things about LU. I really should check it out sometime soon.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I haven’t watched televised wrestling since the mid nineties (used to watch a lot of amateur poo poo at flea markets around town though) and that Vampiro match actually gave me chills. I can see why people still give a poo poo, that’s awesome!!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Didnt Vince McMahon finally publicly admit in the 80s (as part of some legal hearing) that it was fixed and therefore not a sport so that he could pay less taxes or something?

Yes. But remember, Vince thinks that his audience are idiots.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm not sure if this is better or worse but WCW had a "Judy Bagwell on a pole (actually a forklift)" match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UDGGTHT1pk&t=1110s

God, imagine a forklift match!
Instead of wrestling each other, you drive around the ring on two forklifts, trying to lift the other and "slam" (tilt the forks forward so your opponent falls off) and then you put your forks over the other one and push down for the 3 count.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Rock was pinned by a forklift once.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Animal-Mother posted:

God drat joy

Thank you for sharing this story. Honestly, I got a little choked up at the reveal of the tickets. That sounds amazing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

wesleywillis posted:

God, imagine a forklift match!
Instead of wrestling each other, you drive around the ring on two forklifts, trying to lift the other and "slam" (tilt the forks forward so your opponent falls off) and then you put your forks over the other one and push down for the 3 count.

Wait till you hear about sumo trucks, brother.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
one of my favorite parts of Rusev Day was John Cena randomly putting it over

I can’t remember the context but he said “You’re really gonna do this to me? On Rusev Day? :mad:

which popped the crowd and I’m betting was unscripted and Vince probably didn’t like it, but at this point Cena is worth more to the WWE than they are to him

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

Is rusev still regarded as a national shame back in Bulgaria? Did the pink kitten sweater thing help or is he now an object of open scorn rather than the mere unease and embarrassment as was during his wwe run?

National shame? Last I heard they loved him there. The amount of babies named after him spiked.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Cubone posted:

which popped the crowd and I’m betting was unscripted and Vince probably didn’t like it, but at this point Cena is worth more to the WWE than they are to him

For the longest thought Cena was low tier but the fact that he's made WWE his bitch is pretty impressive, not gonna lie

He doesn't need them and Vince knows it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think the only reason Cena hasn't retired from wrestling yet is because they're going to have him break Ric Flair's championship record.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cena should rap again

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Trollologist posted:

While all these stores about how old people can't tell a good story are funny, there's something you need to know about wrestling that isn't really touched on.

Wrestling used to be an actual scam. It was fake fighting portrayed as legitimate competition. These are the days of the super old legends, guys that are so far back in history they're really only important to wrestling dorks. Guys like Lou Thesz and George Hackenschmidt. You may have heard of Bruno Sammartino, and that's getting young. So, why is this important?

A lot of wrestling tradition was for a long time (and still is in some circles) mired in this idea that the fanbase is mostly "marks" (people they are fooling) and only a minority of fans are "smarks" or, people that know it's a show... And also Yes, old school management still thinks that YOU believe this is real.

And this is where the disconnect lays. Old school management (Vince and his ilk), absolutely DESPISES people that are "in" on the product. And hate anyone that would "expose the business" by, like, acting like it's a promotion. If you know wrestling is a staged event, they hate you, and have convinced themselves that if they blur the line about what is or isn't wrestling, you'll get tricked and just be a mark.

The thing is, they're not exactly WRONG.

The generic insult is 'wrestling is fake', which is basically a whole kitchen of pots making color accusations for a kettle. Virtually ALL entertainment is 'fake'. The proper goal of it is to make you forget that, to lose yourself in it, to suspend your disbelief. We all know that men and women aren't actually duelling with laser swords in a galaxy far far away, or people are being brutally murdered in a dark ages style land called Westeros, or that we're not actually a super spy named Naked Snake becoming so disillusioned over his first great mission that he will become the villain in chronologically later games over just how badly his mentor was hosed over. The whole point is to get people to just forget that, not think about it, be in the story. Yeah sometimes it goes wrong: see Jack Gleeson basically retiring from acting because he was SO GOOD at playing a villain that too many people basically associated the villain with him. But it goes right enough so that if you want to find some words that inspire or fit a situation, you're just as likely to turn to fiction as to real life works. In the end, the core of phrases like "There is nothing to fear but fear itself." and "Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot..." is the same.

The days when wrestling was solely a way to scam people out of their money had more or less died by the time that the likes of Thesz and Hackenschmidt were young. It had become like any other entertainment exchange: you give money, you get entertainment. Hell, in many ways it's an unfair exchange: the absolute worst thing fans will get 99 percent of the time is a bad show, while wrestlers run the risk of injuring or killing themselves, or being so good at poking fans' amygdala's that the fans will outright try and kill them, or just the fact that even if it is all prearranged, these men and women are tossing their bodies down onto the ground and landing jumps and so on over and over and over, the whole process acting like erosion. In many ways, pro wrestling is far more 'real' than, well, just about any other form of entertainment.

But, as the old saying goes, things change. A bit from Other People's Money comes to mind, where Danny Devito's character talks about how once, many companies made buggy whips for horse drawn carriages, but automobiles came along and eventually supplanted such methods of transport, and while the very last general buggy whip company probably made the very best buggy whip money could buy, it just was not needed, and by that logic, being an investor in such a company would be a waste of time and money. Wrestling's no different, hell, it's gone through plenty of change. Vince and co might get enraged over the idea of people knowing what's behind the curtain and try and spite us for it, but it doesn't matter. Barn door's open, horses are long gone, and they smashed a bunch of genie bottles and stepped on a bunch of toothpaste tubes on their way out. The final irony is, any wrestling fan, deep down, WANTS to be a mark. We want to lose ourselves in a good match, or some silly psychodrama. Vince is, for the most part, not only tilting at windmills, but tearing them down and throwing the bricks at us. It's not needed. Forget this stupid mark/smart/smark distinction, just do your job and the rest will fall into place.

I mean, in a few ways, real stuff in wrestling sucks.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 18, 2022

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Time_pants posted:

Yes. But remember, Vince thinks that his audience are idiots.

In Oregon, if you put on a Professional Wrestling Event, it falls under like sport fighting and gaming laws. Essentially treated like an MMA or Boxing fight. Along with all these rules are a nice fat 20% tax (at the time) of your gate to the gaming commission for your "Sporting Event".

However, when I tried suggesting to promoters that if they just admitted it was a stage play, instead of paying taxes they might actually start getting grants, I wasn't met with like a cautious disbelief. No, The response, OVERWHELMINGLY was a variant of "But if we say it's fake then our audience will know it's fake"....:psyduck: this was all circa 2012-2013, so hopefully things have changed since then, but all the promotions that I was aware of then are still around now being run by mostly the same people, So I dunno.

Now, at least to my knowledge, there's a TON of forward thinking promotions that lean into the "Wrestling is a Show, let's all have some fun here" idea. Places like Lucha Underground, Heroes of Lucha Libre (Lucha's really big on this), Chikara, and AEW, among a ton of others.

But, if you look at WWE, there (at least was) a TON of this "ha we got you" kind of creative energy swirling around. Dropping all the coke-fueled gimmicks, making guys wrestle under their real name or some variant of "Firstname Lastname" Blending the in ring story with like, social media and other reality TV Drama, it kind of goes on. It's important to remember that at one point Vince Mcmahon once created a character called "The Million Dollar Man" and then paid for him to have luxury accommodations, limo rides, and first class flights. Just so the marks(fans) would believe he was really rich for real you guys if they saw him outside of the ring.

That man is still in charge of WWE today.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Now, in relation to the whole 'reality bites' thing I was talking about, and to explain some of the extra beyond crazy stupidity of this story about Big Bossman, Ultimate Villain, a side story of ripple effect.

This is the late Owen Hart.

Owen is one of the tragic stories of wrestling; he was immensely talented in the ring, a pretty drat good talker, especially when playing the heel role, and backstage, one of the most liked/loved members of the roster and a legendary ‘ribber’, ie a prankster. Unlike some ribbers, whose ‘ribs’ tended to be far more hazing-oriented or just outright mean bullying (another very talented wrestler but utter failure of a human being, Tom Billington, nee the Dynamite Kid, comes to mind), Owen’s tended to be harmless, like prank phone calls, or goofing around in the ring. However, within the brightest life, a little rain must fall, and Owen has one very odd black mark on his life as a wrestler.

As said, in WWE, piledrivers and head drops in general have been banned for years, with a few exceptions, like the Undertaker being allowed to still do his Tombstone piledriver. It’s likely what happened with Owen is one of the reasons why. The Tombstone piledriver, which just happened to be named that before Mark Calloway took it as his finisher (the irony), is basically a piledriver ‘in reverse’: a normal one will have a wrestler’s chest pressed up against his foe’s back as he drops him, whereas a tombstone is done ‘chest to chest’. A visual aide.

As you can see, Undertaker’s holding him firmly and there’s plenty of space to ensure that the move is ‘safe’, along with the illusion that it is a head drop, like any good magic trick. Head drops in general are risky because while you’re supposed to use your shoulders to take the impact if you don't have cover like the Tombstone provides, people have kept trying to come up with more and more dangerous looking ones over the decades, especially in Japan. Like the Ganso Bomb. Or the Tiger Driver 91’. Or the Vertebreaker.

In any case, Steve Austin’s rise to being one of the biggest wrestling names in history had three steps. The first was winning a wrestling tournament where afterwards he cut his ‘Austin 3:16’ promo. The second was calling out the then considering leaving the company Bret Hart, and being his first opponent when Bret did return. At the time, Austin was himself a very talented WRESTLER, capable of having an excellent wrestling match, and he and Bret synced well and did just that, several times. His feud with Bret would end with them switching alignments; Bret to heel, Austin to face, and after Bret formed up his own heel group in turn, Austin would be one of their primary opponents. Things shook out that Austin would end up facing Bret’s brother Owen at the August PPV, Summerslam. And so, as the story goes, while Austin and Owen were planning out their match, Owen suggested that he perform a tombstone piledriver on Austin. Austin asked how he did it: Owen said, allegedly, “I fall on my rear end.”

The story generally goes that Austin didn’t like this, but as all such stories, who knows how much is true. Whatever the case and however he felt, in the match, Austin did let Owen do the tombstone spot. Owen did, as he may have said, do it by falling on his rear end.

And unfortunately, he botched it.

As you can probably see via his head sticking out from beneath Owen's legs, Austin does NOT have some nice safe space. In fact, he has the opposite. The impact legit broke his neck and actually induced brief paralysis, which Owen managed to cover just long enough for Austin to do a weak roll up and end the match. It is this piledriver that is the oddity in Owen’s career: if he was so nice, and Austin didn’t like the idea of taking the move if Owen ‘fell on his rear end’, then why did Owen do it? Austin did have to allow him to do so, so Owen, at least, failed in his duty to protect his opponent. It’s very strange, and I don’t believe a solid answer has ever been given for his actions and reasonings.

The neck injury, unfortunately, wholly changed the course of Austin’s career. The doctors basically told him “Retire”. Austin didn’t want to; he could sense that he was on a rocket, and drat, he was. The next suggestion was “Get neck surgery and take a year off to recover”. Same issue: Austin was on a giant hot streak and it would only get hotter, he didn’t want to. So the doctors grudgingly gave him a third option: have a smaller surgery NOW, and it would hold until he had the PROPER surgery later, which he was basically told he HAD to do. Austin had the minor surgery, returned to initiate the third and final step by ‘stunning’ Vince McMahon on TV when he didn’t like his answers, and the rest is history. But that piledriver would define the rest of Austin’s career, shortening it by years and forcing him to completely rework his style as a brawler because he now was at more risk doing and receiving certain moves. Now what the hell does all this have to do with the Big Bossman’s super cartoon evil?

Well, this happened in mid to late 1997. By late 1999, after becoming maybe the biggest star in wrestling’s history and riding that wave for 18 months, Austin could no longer put off his need for greater neck surgery. The minor issue was that the WWE hadn’t exactly planned for this all that well, and didn’t have anyone who could replace him on short notice. Wait, you say, wasn’t the Rock around at the time? Yes, but he had just turned face some scant months ago, and he’d been sidelined with some lackluster feuds. Meanwhile, Triple H was being pushed into being a main eventer and headliner, but most fans didn’t buy it yet. So when it became clear that Austin, the WWE Champion, needed to get his surgery, he was written off TV on the night of his November PPV title match. Yes, so if you paid for it to see Austin wrestle, you got ripped off. And how did they write him off?

They had someone hit him with a car. That left the WWF championship vacant, and instead of just having Rock and Triple H, the other two men in the match, compete for it by themselves, the WWE decided that since they had to write Austin out, they would throw in another surprise entrant.

Who turned out to be “The Big Show” Paul Wight. Who won as a second surprise. And why did he get into the match to begin with? Why, in "honor of his late father."

And it was THAT storyline reason that the Bossman’s ultimate evils would revolve around.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 10, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Remember that time on a foreign TV show where Bam Bam Bigelow grabbed a dude by the neck of his shirt because he asked if wrestling was fake? That was awkward.

If you've never seen the tape of David Schultz vs John Stossel pour a nice drink and treat yourself

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

If you've never seen the tape of David Schultz vs John Stossel pour a nice drink and treat yourself

About this moment, Jim Cornette (Former creative head of like, a TON of different promotions including WWE & WCW) Said:

Jim Cornette posted:

To me, it was so hilarious because Vince McMahon didn’t even realize what a perfect storm he had created. He took — he said something, asked one of his wrestlers who was a big, intimidating looking, tough, badass guy to go at least intimidate a reporter. But even Vince didn’t realize the sweet irony of the whole thing. A smart-rear end Yankee reporter from New York was going to tell this badass from west Tennessee that wrestling was fake when this badass from west Tennessee was personally trained by Herb Welch, a shooter from the ’30s. [laughs] Schultz at that point was literally one of the last links to the pioneer days of the ’30s and the old carnival shooters, and the Welch family, and the training guys to f**king work by stretching them in a barn before you smarten them up.

So of anybody that would have taken the business seriously on that roster at that time, David Schultz was the one guy that was far on the extreme. And then you paired him off with his complete mirror image, this little weaselly reporter from New York who gets in his face and tells him he’s a fake. Vince didn’t even have that, didn’t even grip that irony. He was just using Schultz because he was a big badass-looking guy. He didn’t realize that Herb Welch had beat this motherf**ker until he could not walk, until he had to crawl into his house, every night when he’d come home to his wife while he was training him, before he ever even smartened him up. And the whole f**king — the overriding policy. The one directive that David Schultz was given since the first day he was smartened up, after he’d had the s**t kicked out of him and been stretched from a**hole to appetite was, ‘Never expose the business. Never give the secrets away.’ It was perfect.

Schultz was a hero to me when it happened, he was a hero to a lot of the guys. Everybody popped, because that was the pre-internet days. You didn’t know what had actually happened and what it looked like until you saw it on TV. And he slapped the bejesus out of Stossel. Stossel needed Omax after that.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
In that moment, despite losing his wrestling career over it, Dr. D became the patron saint of wrestlers.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mokotow posted:

Not a wrestling watcher, so need some clarification.

When Tough Enough 4 rolls around after Tough Enough 3, Tough Enough 2 and Tough Enough, do you expect it to be incrementally better than Tough Enough 3 (as, I assume, Tough Enough 3 was from Tough Enough 2, etc.), or is it more about all Tough Enoughs holding the established entertainment and artism levels of Tough Enough the first?

Personally, I felt like the novelty wore off after the first competition, which is how I tend to feel about most reality competitions. The later seasons didn't really do anything to change up the formula with the exception of Tough Enough 4, but that was simply because MTV wasn't making it its own show anymore, so WWE had to incorporate it into its normal programming. And I would say those changes were stupid and dangerous for everyone involved.

My memories of the show are pretty fuzzy now, as are my memories of who would get signed and what would become of them. Maybe some other folks have some highlights to mention. In the meantime, please enjoy the theme song for Maven, the male winner of Tough Enough 1, who had a BEAUTIFUL dropkick and had a feud with The Undertaker after kicking him out of the Royal Rumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z43_wtXsrU

And then listen to the theme song for Nidia, the female winner of Tough Enough 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSyvwLxfdOQ

GolfHole posted:

anxiously waiting to hear about these ghosts

Soon. I was hoping to find some good clips of them to share first.

I'll leave you with this though.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Personally, I felt like the novelty wore off after the first competition, which is how I tend to feel about most reality competitions. The later seasons didn't really do anything to change up the formula with the exception of Tough Enough 4, but that was simply because MTV wasn't making it its own show anymore, so WWE had to incorporate it into its normal programming. And I would say those changes were stupid and dangerous for everyone involved.

My memories of the show are pretty fuzzy now, as are my memories of who would get signed and what would become of them. Maybe some other folks have some highlights to mention. In the meantime, please enjoy the theme song for Maven, the male winner of Tough Enough 1, who had a BEAUTIFUL dropkick and had a feud with The Undertaker after kicking him out of the Royal Rumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z43_wtXsrU

And then listen to the theme song for Nidia, the female winner of Tough Enough 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSyvwLxfdOQ

Soon. I was hoping to find some good clips of them to share first.

I'll leave you with this though.

God, dude. The Spirit Squad, the B-Team, and Zach Ryder and Curtis Axel are such treasures, dude. God bless jobber stables and tag teams. We need more of them. I know that AEW has The Wingmen, but it's not really the same because they get next to no TV time. I don't think I even recall seeing them after their pretty flat feud with Orange Cassidy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Elephant Ambush posted:

I've heard nothing but great things about LU. I really should check it out sometime soon.

Lucha Underground is extremely good poo poo, but be wary of the fourth season. It's okay, but it's a shadow of what came before it.

They taped the show months in advance and in bulk. After the first season ended on a cliffhanger, it was announced that it was being picked up for another couple seasons. They taped season 3 shortly after they wrapped on season 2. Then when they did get to season 3, they split it into two parts and took a very long break in-between.

This pissed off the talent because they were under contract for seven seasons of the show and they couldn't sign with any televised wrestling promotion until then. Even those signed until season 3 couldn't do anything until AFTER that season had aired.

The people behind the show decided to make a deal. If anyone wanted out of their contract, they were welcome to walk. They just had to show up for season 4 to appear for the sake of being written out. That meant season 4 was lots of storylines ending abruptly and nearly every episode had a wrestler getting literally murdered to explain their absence. Then the show ended with the biggest wet fart with their final champion and a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Time_pants posted:

God bless jobber stables and tag teams.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Okay, so we come to the climax of this crap.

This is Paul Wight, ie the Big Show (also known as the Giant). He is, as Jameson mentioned, very big. How big?

That's Shaquille O'Neal he's standing next to, to give you a size comparison. In any case, Wight was born with the same condition that made Andre the Giant so...well, giant, but unlike Andre, they caught it early, and Wight received medical care to fix the issue before it became irreversible and terminal as it did for Andre. End result, a very very large man, and amazingly, WCW got to him before Vince.

The fact that "The Giant" debuted as part of the infamous Dungeon of Doom, where he was presented as being the ACTUAL son of Andre the Giant, seeking revenge, was more or less a harbinger for the many, many dumb storylines Wight would find himself in in his two decade plus career. Seriously, I could end up on another post wide tangent about the sumo truck wrestling match, Giant no selling a multi story fall, THE YET-TAY, him smoking while the announcers screamed about how it would stunt your growth, IT'S NOT HOT...but I really should stop. Anyway, after a few years with WCW and the war between them by then swinging firmly back to the WWE, Wight saw that the grass was greener and left WCW, and WWE promptly picked up Wight and renamed him 'The Big Show'.

Vince was said that WCW had no idea how to book a giant. He would proceed to book Wight 100x times worse than WCW ever did for decades. But as of this 'now', Wight had only been in the WWE for eight months. He'd debuted as a heel ally of McHahon with his war against Stone Cold, teamed up with the Undertaker where Taker cut one of the most infamously strange promos of all time, won the tag belts twice, and turned face when Undertaker left to take time off to get surgery and rehab. See, Big Show's father was terminally ill.

In storyline. In reality, Wight's father had passed on years before. No, I don't mean Andre, that was also storyline. In any case, Big Boss Man heard about this and decided that it was a great idea to target a very large man going through a grieving process, because he was evil.

So Wight's father supposedly died, the WWE cheapened the 10 bell salute for this fake death, and then out came Boss Man. To read a poem, as many wrestlers like their poetry.

It was about as subtle as a brick to the face. Fired out of a cannon. I mean, wrestling feuds have started over getting coffee spilled on a person, over shampoo commercials, and over the right to have a wrestler's mother as their valet, so you don't need much, but Bossman had decided that there was no rock bottom. Because he then showed up the next week at the staged funeral of the Big Show's father.

And attacked it.

And stole the casket. Which Wight tried to stop by jumping on top of it. It did not work.

https://i.imgur.com/Wx2NYOZ.mp4

Thanks X JAKK.

So oh boy, was Show EVER mad. So mad that he challenged Big Bossman to a 4 on 1 traditional Survivor Series PPV matchup in November, where Bossman would have three allies and Show would be alone. When the WWE said Show 'couldn't do that' and gave him some undercarders for partners, Show beat them up on the night of Survivor Series and then headed out, utterly smashing Bossman's three allies and spurring Bossman to flee. But then, as a surprise, Show got inserted into the world title match in the main event of the same show, and won.

You'd think he'd try to get some credibility by facing some top stars. Instead, Bossman grabbed his newest shovel and kept digging: Show's lone feud as the champion would be with Bossman. It's said that in wrestling, a good heel plays 'mind games'. So what would ultimate cartoon evil Big Bossman do?

Why, break into Big Show's (supposed) mother's house. And tape himself confronting her to 'have a conversation'. About a secret about Wight. And what was that secret?

Why, see for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfvPUJQXbrI

So yeah. Bossman got 'Big Show's mom' to admit that he was illegitimate. While filming it. And he put it on live TV.

Alas, even the most extreme of things has its limits, and "Big Show, you're a bastard! Literally!" was the pinnacle of it. There was no more 'nonsense gold craziness'; Show destroyed Bossman in a quick squash on the December PPV, lost the title to Triple H at the start of 2000, and would go on to be part of even more very dumb and embarrassing skits over the course of the next 15+ years. And that was the story of the greatest evil heel in all of cartoon villainy wrestling heeldom.

(And on one final note, a few years later Big Show would get a shirt that declared he was "A Big Nasty Bastard", so good on him for turning his weakness into a strength, or something).

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 10, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This is some goodass content, cheers to you

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

Giant no selling a multi story fall

Video?

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Thank you for that. The Giant was what got me into wrestling in the first place, and his terrible storylines have always been especially amusing to me. Unlike his godawful Netflix show, which I pray never returns.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

My man.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

im saint germain posted:

Thank you for that. The Giant was what got me into wrestling in the first place, and his terrible storylines have always been especially amusing to me. Unlike his godawful Netflix show, which I pray never returns.

Apparently The Big Show has gone back and forth between being a face and heel 34 times in his almost 25-year career. That doesn't so much show his range as a performer as it does suggest that his character has undiagnosed bipolar disorder and someone desperately needs to get him some help.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Fs0pk3bjk

Relevant parts: 6:15 to 7:05, and then 8:55 to 9:25, namely for the announcers attempting to cover that this man seemingly fell of a five story roof no less than two hours ago.

There's also a bunch of other lunacy, but that's the relevant part.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Cornwind Evil posted:

and would go on to be part of even more very dumb and embarrassing skits over the course of the next 15+ years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znOr_ciC8xk

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Speaking of jobber tag teams/stables, does anyone have any clips of badly dubbed Kaientai? Those are so loving hard to find but Taka Michinoku and Funaki were amazing. I especially loved when Taka forgot to hold the mic up to his mouth when it was his turn to "speak," so his dubbed voice reminded him to hold up the microphone.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Time_pants posted:

Speaking of jobber tag teams/stables, does anyone have any clips of badly dubbed Kaientai? Those are so loving hard to find but Taka Michinoku and Funaki were amazing. I especially loved when Taka forgot to hold the mic up to his mouth when it was his turn to "speak," so his dubbed voice reminded him to hold up the microphone.

Let's get funky on the dance floor.

Always Pounding rear end Saying Indeed. Three times.

Neither part of a great alliance or evil.

He-roes? No. Evil.

Must have been on a coffee break.

One of my regrets as a wrestling fan is I never was able to get my hands on one of these shirts.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What was the story with the guy who fell out of their harness from the rafters? Didn't he die?

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Outpost22 posted:

What was the story with the guy who fell out of their harness from the rafters? Didn't he die?

Twas Owen, us edgy teens believed Vince personally snipped his rope with Brutus Beefcake's barber shears as revenge for injuring Austin.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

X JAKK posted:

Twas Owen, us edgy teens believed Vince personally snipped his rope with Brutus Beefcake's barber shears as revenge for injuring Austin.

I mean that's like 10% beyond believability

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
one of my fave aging wrestlers is ric flair

i wanna see him as an old man in a wheelchair taking a giant hit of his oxygen tank to let out one final "WOOOOOOOO" before dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

heyyyyyyy its the biggg showwww