Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Pratan posted:

This is an amazing thread and helped me relive the attitude era and all the backstage drama. I'd always read some website I don't remember for the guy's opinion on the upcoming Raw and Nitro, and he would briefly go into some of the backstage drama after each show.

Someone effortpost about Kurt Angle. Dude was amazing back in the day. Great on the mic-always came off as a full of himself dickhead, always got booed. Great wrestling skills (duh), always looked like he was trying hard in the ring, and could legit carry people (he broke Hardcore Holly's arm in a match, and they somehow finished the match).

Yeah, that’s not the funnest story in wrestling unless you stop around 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Kurt Angle had what I think was one of, if not the most perfectly crafted theme song in wrestling. If you've never seen or heard of Kurt Angle before you can listen to it with your eyes closed, and you probably end up picturing something close to Kurt Angle.

It starts off like a real champion's theme with the horns pompously sounding his arrival. But after the intro the main hook comes in it starts to sound kind of sinister, like...something's up with this guy. You suddenly don't trust the person this song belongs to anymore. Then the next part comes in and it's all celebratory, like he's playing his victory music before the match starts, so you know he's cocky. But then the sinister part comes in again even louder, reminding you this guy is somebody you have to take seriously.

Was also the perfect hook for the You Suck chants

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
kurt angle is one of the greatest professional wrestlers and best heel of all time

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Pratan posted:

Someone effortpost about Kurt Angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcv9kp0jwWY

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Every so often I remember that JR tried to get the nickname "Booger Red" over for the Undertaker and I laugh

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mr. Meagles posted:

Kurt Angle had what I think was one of, if not the most perfectly crafted theme song in wrestling. If you've never seen or heard of Kurt Angle before you can listen to it with your eyes closed, and you probably end up picturing something close to Kurt Angle.

It starts off like a real champion's theme with the horns pompously sounding his arrival. But after the intro the main hook comes in it starts to sound kind of sinister, like...something's up with this guy. You suddenly don't trust the person this song belongs to anymore. Then the next part comes in and it's all celebratory, like he's playing his victory music before the match starts, so you know he's cocky. But then the sinister part comes in again even louder, reminding you this guy is somebody you have to take seriously.

Was also the perfect hook for the You Suck chants

It was leftovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOefnp_HeXY

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The Patriot was a hero who wasn't gonna stand for The Hitman calling Americans a bunch of "no-good, bootless chickens" and " big time losers" among other scathing Bret Hart insults

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
kurt was getting boos in his debut match, and he grabbed a microphone and started scolding the audience "you do not boo an olympic gold medalist! :mad:"

legend

Cubone fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 19, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I loved Kirk Angel

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
All I'm saying here is I want a Nick Patrick biopic starring Danny McBride

It's honestly uncanny

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I may have said this the last time Kurt was brought up itt, but I think if he had managed to clean himself up and stay with WWE instead of going to TNA he would probably be the GOAT.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Regrettable posted:

I may have said this the last time Kurt was brought up itt, but I think if he had managed to clean himself up and stay with WWE instead of going to TNA he would probably be the GOAT.

Even with the TNA and health problems I think he has a strong GOAT claim

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TheSwizzler posted:

All I'm saying here is I want a Nick Patrick biopic starring Danny McBride

It's honestly uncanny

Holy crap. A Danny McBride wrestling movie or Netflix show would loving kick rear end.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Thank you to whoever posted this. More people need to be aware of it.
https://twitch.tv/creative_control

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Is that hipster themed wrestler still around, I'm assuming he was a heel? If so has he stuck with the gmick?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
drat I miss Eddie 😕

Dude took all the racist dumb poo poo Vince shoveled his way (lie, cheat, steal...) and through charisma and raw talent made them awesome.

He's the Jim Croce of wrestling.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 22, 2022

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

drat I miss Eddie 😕

Dude took all the racist dumb poo poo Vince shoveled his way (lie, cheat, steal...) and through charisma and raw talent made them awesome.

He's the Jim Croce of wrestling.

Eddie Guerrero was a GOAT for sure, even dying way too young, when he could have had another 25 amazing years ahead.

The guys who made me a wrestling fan were Eddie, Jericho, Rey Mysterio, and Billy Kidman.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
my friends showed me a video of a dude named Bubba Ray Dudley putting an 80 year old woman through a table and I could not stop laughing.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

unknown butthole posted:

my friends showed me a video of a dude named Bubba Ray Dudley putting an 80 year old woman through a table and I could not stop laughing.

Best part is the story behind it. He didn't want to do it so she told him to stop being a pussy and powerbomb her.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bubba Ray couldn't C.U.M without giving a woman the D (drop).

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Regrettable posted:

Best part is the story behind it. He didn't want to do it so she told him to stop being a pussy and powerbomb her.

Mae Young was a national treasure

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

im saint germain posted:

I still remember that match where she was topless. My (then) father-in-law invited me to stay and watch as he had bought the PPV for that night. He never said a word the entire broadcast until that moment and let out a very subdued "God..drat" and tuned his head. It was very awkward to say the least.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bonzo posted:

I still remember that match where she was topless. My (then) father-in-law invited me to stay and watch as he had bought the PPV for that night. He never said a word the entire broadcast until that moment and let out a very subdued "God..drat" and tuned his head. It was very awkward to say the least.

lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

im saint germain posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

War and Pieces posted:

Is that hipster themed wrestler still around, I'm assuming he was a heel? If so has he stuck with the gmick?

you're gonna have to be more specific

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hollywood hogan

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think we can all agree how wwe disbands. It will if nobody watches. That is not happening anytime soon.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

Maybe Austin's final years should be the next effort post.

The mid-to-late-90’s was a great time for Stone Cold Steve Austin. Well, outside of what Owen Hart did to his neck. Even though Austin was able to come back from that injury and become a multi-time WWF Champion, it certainly cut his career short. For his last several years, his various injuries started to culminate and weigh him down. At the end of 1999, he was written off during a PPV via being run over, just so he could have surgery to fuse his neck.

He returned down the line and had a series of big matches with Triple H, but this was the beginning of the end of Austin’s in-ring career. Through changing times and questionable creative, Austin had interesting and frustrating times ahead.

A good start to this would be the 2001 Royal Rumble. In my opinion, it’s the BEST Royal Rumble. Completely solid from start to finish with a fantastic roster and Kane putting the work in. The match ended with Austin winning an unprecedented THIRD Royal Rumble, which hasn’t been matched to this day. He was on the way to WrestleMania once again. The Rock was also in the Rumble, but while he lost, he would end up winning the WWF Championship a month later, meaning we were getting Austin vs. Rock at WrestleMania 17.

WrestleMania 17 is lionized by wrestling fans and for good reason. Not only is it one of the most solid wrestling PPVs of all time, filled with bangers from start to finish, but it’s the culmination of wrestling’s boom period. WCW just died. ECW just died. WWF was doing their biggest annual show featuring the two biggest icons of the era in the main event. It felt like an epic event, acting as both the climax to the Attitude Era and a victory lap to the Monday Night Wars.

Austin vs. Rock was a face vs. face situation and, as shown via an iconic video package mixed with Limp Bizkit’s “My Way,” they attempted to build conflict by forcing Austin’s then-wife Debra to be the Rock’s manager. Under it all, there was this determined desperation from Austin as he told Rock that he HAD to win by any means necessary. Austin was afraid of losing and the indication that his best days were behind him.

Right before the match, it was suspiciously announced as being No-DQ. This made sense in the end, when Vince McMahon came out and helped Austin. The two teamed up to beat the Rock to a pulp with chairs and it would have been a bigger deal if the show didn’t take place in Texas. No matter how much Austin tried to heel it up, the crowd was behind him.

Rock was off TV after this and they doubled-down on Austin’s heel turn by having him team up with former rival Triple H. The two became the Two-Man Power Trip and started hoarding all the various WWF titles. This ended abruptly when Triple H’s quad tore during a tag match. Austin continued his run as heel champ, which led to WCW Champion Booker T appearing and attacking him at one point.

The whole WCW Invasion storyline has been talked about to death and I won’t go into too many details. Booker T attacking Austin was initially seen as a face move, but since WCW/ECW was soon depicted as a heel faction, that put Austin in a curious position. They were going into the InVasion PPV based around WWF vs. WCW/ECW matches and since Vince was suddenly the face, he was begging Austin to going back to being “the old Stone Cold.” In a rather kickass episode of Raw, Austin agonized over this ask, choosing to wallow in a bar until the words of an elderly Freddie Blassie inspired him to march back to the arena and beat the poo poo out of anyone in his way with a broken pool cue.

That was a ruse, though. As the WCW/ECW guys didn’t have much in terms of top names, they turned Austin to their side for the sake of having a major heel leading the faction. Austin continued to be a champion and win a lot, but he was also depicted as a paranoid, self-pitying bully. He’d constantly claim that he didn’t deserve what was happening to him. He’d constantly push around his subordinates while repeatedly asking, “WHAT?” Something that would haunt the company for years down the road, unfortunately.

Austin did a great job as a heel, but with the Invasion story being hot garbage, the whole thing wasn’t really working out. Fans just wanted to cheer for Austin again. The whole storyline culminated at Survivor Series 2001, where they did a five-on-five elimination tag match where the losing side’s faction would be eliminated forever. By the end, we had Rock and Jericho representing WWF against Austin and Kurt Angle representing WCW/ECW. Jericho and Angle both lost, followed by Jericho turning heel on Rock and Angle turning face on Austin as a mole. Rock won the match and WWF was saved.

The very next night, they did a major reset. With little explanation, Vince and Angle were heels again and Austin was once again face. He didn’t explain himself or anything like that. He just showed up, beat up Vince and was cheered.

That Raw also introduced Ric Flair as the new co-owner of the company and the face foil for Vince. This continued to drive Vince to madness and reached the point where he decided he was going to inject poison into his company. He had hired Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall, and Kevin Nash: the New World Order.

On paper, this sounded huge. Austin, Rock, and presumably anyone else vs. the nWo. We could have had Austin vs. Hogan, the biggest match in wrestling history! I mean, we could have if it wasn’t for the fact that Austin wanted absolutely nothing to do with Hogan, still bitter about his treatment back in WCW. So instead, the closest thing we ever got was Austin and Rock in a handicap match against the nWo, where Austin and Hogan were in the ring against each other for about a minute.

For WrestleMania, Hogan would take on the Rock, which was an overall better fit. Nash is a lazy rear end who always happens to be “injured” when it comes time to put someone over, so Austin’s WrestleMania 18 opponent was Scott Hall with Nash in his corner. Yep, Austin got the weakest link of the team in a relatively short match. Austin was not pleased with that and was both gone during the post-party and the following Raw.

With his body continuing to break down, Austin was really becoming frustrated with his role in the company. He did have some better stuff on the horizon, going into a feud with Raw GM Ric Flair and setting up a feud with Eddie Guerrero (even doing house show matches for that). But there was another big opponent on the way who ended up being the last straw.

The night after WrestleMania 18, during a big brawl between midcarders over the Hardcore Championship, Brock Lesnar made his debut for no reason other than to beat the utter gently caress out of them all while Paul Heyman cheered him on. It was very apparent that Brock was “The Next Big Thing” and he would be champion by that year’s SummerSlam, mere months later.

Part of the plan was for Brock to win the King of the Ring tournament. They decided that he would get to said tournament by cleanly defeating Steve Austin in a King of the Ring qualifying match, which would occur on a random Raw with no hype. Austin thought that this was the stupidest poo poo he had ever heard. He wasn’t against losing to Brock. He understood the logic in that part. But Austin vs. Brock was a BIG match that should be on PPV and they were just throwing it out there for free like it meant nothing.

Finally just done, Austin walked out and went home. The same episode of Raw kept building up towards Austin showing up, being somewhat upfront about the situation, albeit with Jim Ross (Austin’s good friend) repeatedly burying him on commentary. During the main event, someone told Vince, “He’s here!” and it turned out to be the Rock. The Rock came out to basically cut a promo about how Austin took his ball and went home like a bitch and told him to, “Get the F out!” because that was their big, “We had to change our name from WWF to WWE,” catchphrase.

WWE had a show that was about behind-the-scenes stuff called Confidential and between that show and Raw Magazine, they went all out on burying Austin for being an ungrateful piece of poo poo.

Meanwhile, Brock qualified for the King of the Ring by beating Bubba Ray Dudley. He won the tournament by going through Booker T, Test, and Rob Van Dam. This earned him a shot at the Rock’s Undisputed Championship, a title shot that he put on the line against Hulk Hogan on a random SmackDown. The match ended up being badass as gently caress, including Brock winning by bearhug and then painting his chest with Hogan’s blood. Brock beat Rock at SummerSlam for the title and Rock went off to Hollywood.

Austin and Vince finally started talking again at the end of the year. It was agreed that Austin would return to the fold, though he would be fined $250,000 for his insubordination. Austin had a couple matches with new Raw GM Eric Bischoff, but only had one real match left in him for his return.

The Rock had returned for a couple months, now called “Hollywood Rock” due to his sell-out nature and egotistical attitude. Rock vs. Austin had happened at WrestleMania twice already with Austin winning both times. They built towards a third match and while Rock was a heel, there was an air of poignancy to him as beating Austin at WrestleMania was literally all that was left for him as a wrestler. He had one last chance to pull it off and even if he won, it was practically it for him.

Austin was banged up, but the two had a solid match. Rock ended up winning after three Rock Bottoms. After pinning him, Rock and Austin shared some heartfelt words that were not picked up by the audio (Austin explained it in a documentary about that show). Austin was a physical wreck afterwards and stopped wrestling completely. The Rock stuck around for another month to put over Goldberg before moving on.

Austin spent a while as an authority figure on Raw, giving him an outlet on TV and even letting him drop Stunners, but always keeping him out of matches. Hence the lack of Austin vs. Goldberg when they had the chance. One time they even intended to have him do a nothing match against someone like Jonathan Coachman, but Austin’s neck was so far gone at the time that they couldn’t even go through with that.

But hey, years later and they were able to get one last match out of him. So that’s cool.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

kurt angle is one of the greatest professional wrestlers and best heel of all time

Kurt Angle is a loving legend, and I love him so much. He entered pro wrestling at just the perfect time because he was the ultimate foil for the Attitude Era type of antihero. I will always chant "You Suck" whenever I hear Angle's theme, but in my heart I know he is the greatest.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

unknown butthole posted:

Why not relive the moment?

Edit: Got it cued up now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ApeFlIPxmw&t=200s

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 23, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

edit nevermind wrong person lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

Kurt Angle is a loving legend, and I love him so much. He entered pro wrestling at just the perfect time because he was the ultimate foil for the Attitude Era type of antihero. I will always chant "You Suck" whenever I hear Angle's theme, but in my heart I know he is the greatest.

Him riding that loving milk truck down to the ring with fire hose cannons on it still stands out to me as one of the most eye-rollingly 'lol you're making GBS threads me, come ON' stupidly funny moments I've had watching wrestling.
I wasn't even an Angle fan, nor did I think the bit was that great at the time, but that memory still stands out to me all these years later more than so many others just BECAUSE.

https://www.wwe.com/videos/kurt-angle-uses-milk-truck-to-soak-the-alliance Skip to about :45.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 23, 2022

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My high-point of watching wrestling regularly was during Kurt Angle's first title run. And that run is what kept me glued, because he sold being completely over his head so well that I was watching every episode of Raw and Smackdown, just waiting for the shoe to finally drop.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
People say that stuff like Sting V Taker or Goldberg V Austin would be dream matches, but we overlook the most obvious

Goldberg v Gilberg

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

People say that stuff like Sting V Taker or Goldberg V Austin would be dream matches, but we overlook the most obvious

Goldberg v Gilberg

Well I can't seem to find it this morning but I recently read an article where it said Duane Gillberg pitched it to Goldberg that they should do a match where Goldberg could beat the everloving poo poo out of him, thus ending that gimmick properly. Goldberg shot it down very hard.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

[nick khan adds another stone to his infinity gauntlet)

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I think Goldberg did kill gillberg couple years back

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

That DICK! posted:

I think Goldberg did kill gillberg couple years back
The time is ripe for the return of the man with the cybernetic losing streak: Gillborg the Killborg

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Goldberg ended Bret Hart's career, ya know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Cubone posted:

[nick khan adds another stone to his infinity gauntlet)

Tony Khan holds up his own Infinity Gauntlet, filled with all six gems. "And I... am All Elite!" And he snaps-

Brock Lesnar tumbles out of the sky and rolls to a halt in a mass of wreckage. Roman Reigns collapses into dust, while John Cena grapples with CM Punk, saying "I don't want to go, I don't want to go..." ...yet it is inevitable, the end.

Vince McMahon looks around at the chaos in confusion - until he stumbles, and sits. A look of peace finally crosses his war-torn face, as the wind sweeps the ashes away.

(Tony Khan is insensate, dying. Kenny Omega tenderly runs his hands through Tony's hair, smiling through the tears. "It's okay, Tony. You can rest." )