Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DerekSmartymans posted:

I've never played a soulsborne, and never actually owned a console since 1991 (did have GB/GB Color), so I feel like I've missed out on a whole niche of gaming. My (grown) son raves about Elden Ring on his Xbox. How would a PC-only old fart go about getting an introduction to the type? According to him, some games I've beaten are souls-likes (Jedi Fallen Order comes to mind by the action combat and difficulty), but I really like story as well. Would I just need to break down and buy a console for Demon's Souls or Bloodborne or whatever? I have the three DS games themselves on my Steam wishlist already, if that matters.

Yeah, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are PlayStation only. Demon's Souls was PS3 but they remade it for the PS5 and the remake is fantastic. Bloodborne is PS4 only, but the whole world is hoping for a PC remaster.

All the other games (Dark Souls 1-3, Sekiro and Elden Ring) are also on the PC and that's probably the best place to play them. Jedi Fallen Order definitely takes a lot of inspiration from soulsborne games, but the story is a lot more in your face. For the actual FROM games, the game's main designer wanted them to feel like the fantasy novels he used to read with his patchy English skills as a kid, where he could only piece together parts of the story with what he understood so to get the FULL story you have to read item descriptions and try to figure out how everything fits together.

Honestly, Elden Ring is probably the best place to start because it's fantastic and the culmination of this kind of game design, plus because it's open world you can wander around if you run into something that's too difficult for you at a given time. It also has the most traditional storytelling out of all their games. But really you can't go wrong with any of them, they're all fantastic experiences, if you want to start with something cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

I've never played a soulsborne, and never actually owned a console since 1991 (did have GB/GB Color), so I feel like I've missed out on a whole niche of gaming. My (grown) son raves about Elden Ring on his Xbox. How would a PC-only old fart go about getting an introduction to the type? According to him, some games I've beaten are souls-likes (Jedi Fallen Order comes to mind by the action combat and difficulty), but I really like story as well. Would I just need to break down and buy a console for Demon's Souls or Bloodborne or whatever? I have the three DS games themselves on my Steam wishlist already, if that matters.

Fake edit: Poisoning a boss with piles of poo poo as something "acceptable" to progress sounds fantastic!

Real edit: Not particularly a "boss fight," but the first few hours of Elex would have made me stop completely if I hadn't seen a "Before You Buy" explaining how it opens up to a much more playable (and fun!) progression once you gain those first few items/combat mechanics/etc. I probably would have quit at my candy-rear end-can't-beat-two-enemies stage. Nothing else in the game is that frustrating, and I'm getting Elex II next unless Dark Souls goes on sale first!

Demon Souls and Bloodborne are PlayStation only, so far, but you can jump into Dark Souls 1 pretty easily on PC and that'll let you know if you enjoy the ethos of Souls games. A GamePad is recommended as the controls feel really good on one, but you can play keyboard and mouse if you want to.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Bug Squash posted:

Demon Souls and Bloodborne are PlayStation only, so far, but you can jump into Dark Souls 1 pretty easily on PC and that'll let you know if you enjoy the ethos of Souls games. A GamePad is recommended as the controls feel really good on one, but you can play keyboard and mouse if you want to.

Thanks for the explanations, guys. I always figured I’d get to them eventually, but I’m glad I saw a rumor (confirmed?) of Bloodborne coming to PC soon without being a bare-bones port. I think it was in Kotaku or pcgamern just a few days ago. Visually, Bb really stands out to me from watching LPs/YT videos.

This will sound really stupid, but one of my earliest “early boss” troubles were Dodongo. I got LoZ the day it came out, and it took me forever to learn how to feed bombs to him. I hated that guy, but once you learned the (only) trick, it was trivial. This was, of course, way before the internet and only three kids in my town had a Nintendo, and one of the three was my older brother who was as lost as I was.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

DerekSmartymans posted:

but I’m glad I saw a rumor (confirmed?) of Bloodborne coming to PC soon without being a bare-bones port.
yeah, about that...

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I can see Demon's Souls coming to PC. It was on the Nvidia leak which was accurate so far. I can't see Bloodborne happening unless it was similarly remade though.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

DerekSmartymans posted:

This will sound really stupid, but one of my earliest “early boss” troubles were Dodongo. I got LoZ the day it came out, and it took me forever to learn how to feed bombs to him. I hated that guy, but once you learned the (only) trick, it was trivial. This was, of course, way before the internet and only three kids in my town had a Nintendo, and one of the three was my older brother who was as lost as I was.

There's a better way than feeding them. Blow up a bomb on them, which stuns them. You can then stab them, which guarantees they drop more bombs. In fact, you can feed them one and while they're eating it, place another for the stun, netting you +2 bombs every time. This is what "Dodongo dislikes smoke" means.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Novasol posted:

There's a better way than feeding them. Blow up a bomb on them, which stuns them. You can then stab them, which guarantees they drop more bombs. In fact, you can feed them one and while they're eating it, place another for the stun, netting you +2 bombs every time. This is what "Dodongo dislikes smoke" means.

Shuddup, Goofball! I was 11! :argh: I know that now, but if you can somehow email my Nintendo in 1986 my brother and I would appreciate it!

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006
The ambush at the beginning of RE: Village was about 10x harder than anything else in the game on the harder difficulty. I was not expecting to get wrecked so hard, so early in a RE game. And then everything after it is pretty piss easy in comparison, barring a few surprise moments that might need an attempt or two.

I think they were trying to recreate the feeling of the RE4 ambush but that (from my memory at least) felt a lot more fun and frantic and less "please god let the ending trigger"

It looks like everyone now just watches speedrunner clips of it to figure it out or whatever, but it was pretty annoying playing at release and not knowing if I was missing an interactable, or not killing the right enemy, or etc etc since it lasts a few minutes longer than is sensible for the first real combat encounter in the game.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
That one Krogan when you go to save Liara in Mass Effect

Mantis Lords in Hollow Knight

the Lamp Tunnel in Getting Over It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the Husk Guard at the northeast Forgotten Crossroads in Hollow Knight has more kills on me than all the bosses put together