Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
Cheren from Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 isn't prohibitively difficult or anything, but he's the one gym leader in the whole series that you can't really cheese by hitting him with a supereffective move. Normal's only weakness is Fighting, and the only 2 Fighting type attacks you could have at that point in the game would require either grinding your starting Tepig to level 17, or catching a Riolu and grinding it to level 15. Considering the gym leader's ace is level 13 (14 in hard mode) and the game's new EXP formula is extremely unkind to Pokemon that are a siginificantly higher level than the ones they're fighting (and all the wild pokemon you could fight at that point in the game are very low level), doing this would take forever (at least an hour I'd assume) and absolutely be considered overgrinding. A very odd choice for a first gym leader.

The generic bandits in front of the forest in Dragon's Dogma suck. I don't think they were meant to be a boss but getting owned by them multiple times and assuming the (much easier) dungeon behind them is something you're meant to put off for later is a very common experience for new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

There's one fighting type you can get before Whitney - there's an NPC in the department store who will trade you a Machop for a Drowzee (Abra in Crystal). What's even nicer is that it's a female Machop, so Miltank can't use Attract on it. It's how I always used to beat Whitney back when I was a kid.

Whitney is also partly why I think Chikorita is a criminally underrated starter - it's bulky, it's not weak to Rollout, and it hits Miltank on its weaker defensive stat. Sure it does terribly against a few other gyms, but all of those gyms you can beat really easily with a Geodude.