Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss

I have way too many art and music assets that I have spent the last year making explicitly for a game like this to even post them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

I have large character portraits for visual novel style dialog scenes:

deep dish peat moss

I have a bunch of one-off RPGmaker style sprites but they're mostly static/only one angle

deep dish peat moss

heres a bunch of half finished scrapped maps

deep dish peat moss

Here's if you wanted to do like a tron-mixed-with-vice-city zone or something

deep dish peat moss

BALLS DILDO posted:

low fantasy pizza delivery game

you are a wizard who has to learn low-fantasy spells like 'warm palm' to keep the pizza hot and ready

deep dish peat moss

Here's a bunch of scenery of various sizes that I just cut and paste from mostly

deep dish peat moss

Here's a bunch of planets: https://imgur.com/a/kkfj30H
like this:

here's over 250 monsters/creatures/weird ppl:
https://imgur.com/a/tNKiXdF

heres various objects like trees, furniture, mountains, eyes:
https://imgur.com/a/LGDhMKI

Heres a bunch of buildings:
https://imgur.com/a/feqZM9p

Heres some vehicles like spaceships and boats:
https://imgur.com/a/avjMkPT

The one you can't see is this:

deep dish peat moss

Here are some free chiptunes:
https://illosophy.itch.io/chiptune-bundle-1

There are some more here, if you want any from here that aren't downloadable on my itch page just let me know:
https://soundcloud.com/moonrisefandango

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 27, 2022

deep dish peat moss

blaise rascal posted:

:pusheen: whoa that is a ton of excellent art! Thanks for sharing it! I have noticed you posting about your game, and I keep forgetting to tell you that it seems like an awesome project, and I wish you the best of luck!

My gut feeling is that it will be tough for this project to include drawings that have a horizon & sky, simply because I envision more of a top-down game. But maybe something like this could work?

I'll check later if the buildings & stuff are roughly the correct size as I put forth in the style guide

Yeah, the style + perspective is all over the place because I have improved so much so quickly as an artist from working on this project that I can't keep a consistent style :kiddo:

The game as I am currently working on it is 640x480 so I have been reworking and resizing a lot of old stuff, like this old thing:

has become this:

And working at that size is very quick and easy, so if there's something specific you need for this game I can do it

I also have versions of everything with no text, some of them had text added in ways that wasn't quick to disable when doing my mass ipad export the other day. If you want anything to be resized to use in this game, or altered or whatever just let me know and I can

A lot of the scenery like this one for example:

Is designed for a roughly 3/4 view top-down RPG style game, I have a diagram I made of a smaller one showing the walkable tiles (in the terrible rpgmaker 48x48 tile size):

The horizon still existing was a stylistic choice because I like to draw attention to cool starscapes, but also because the images are far taller than the screen size would be. So there's still a lot of walkable space (again, with really terrible 48x48 tile sizes in mind) for a 3/4 view game - but yeah this is definitely one lesson I learned; if there's a horizon it should be much higher up on the image.

Heads up though - another lesson I've learned myself is that heavily stylized art like this is very hard to keep consistent with other art, like very little of it would mix well with pixel art. I've had a hard time selling any of this as pre-made assets because it's A) not a complete asset package on its own, B) doesn't mix well with other styles of art.

Here's a 'side-view' map with a super low horizon being used with 3/4 sprites:

And some other in-context screens (From before a major redesign and leaving RPGMaker behind)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 27, 2022

deep dish peat moss

The aesthetic is sort of meant to be evocative of a diorama featuring little paper cutouts of things. So if it helps think of it in terms of a 3/4 view game, the buildings are largely side-view or lower-to-horizon views because they were the backdrop separating the scene from the horizon. Sort of like the perspective in Animal Crossing:

(Not a stylistic choice I'm trying to convince you to make here, just an explanation for the perspective in the landscapes)

deep dish peat moss

Nosfereefer posted:

its insanity op, pure insanity. no mere mortal can make a game in ten days!

even God gave up after 7 and now we're left with all this unfinished content in the late-game.

deep dish peat moss

blaise rascal posted:

I want this to be a collaborative game. So if you all hate my ideas, I won't be offended. We can do something else instead :) Don't shy away from sharing your honest opinion...

I had a discussion with someone on discord about this idea, and we decided that we don't really want this to be a game that highlights the violence inherent in pokemon. Violence is sad, and low-hanging fruit, and idk, i don't want to be preachy about pokemon, you know? So the goal is to move beyond "Pokemon is cockfighting LOL" and get into more surreal territory. I think that will make more sense as the game is getting developed

e: That's partly why I didn't share the pokemon idea until now... I didn't want it to be so much a "game about pokemon," as a "game about having surreal conversations with surreal characters"

a game where you capture and collect different NPCs and call on them like pokemon to do dialog with other NPCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

blaise rascal posted:

e: That's partly why I didn't share the pokemon idea until now... I didn't want it to be so much a "game about pokemon," as a "game about having surreal conversations with surreal characters"

This is something I've put a lot of thought into over the last 3 months, how to make a game like that fun. I am no expert game dev but here are my thoughts in case they help anyone here. I've talked to people who loved games I didn't like about what they liked about them and I've studied all the popular games and anyway, I think the key to success with "a game about strange conversations with colorful characters" is actually pretty simple conceptually, but a bit harder to pull off:

In a game with no 'gameplay' beyond talking to people, you'll need to go the extra mile to make players feel like they have some agency in the world, and surprisingly the best way to do this doesn't seem to be giving them tons of decisions that make actual changes to the world state - it's just having the NPCs react to things the player does.

It could be things as simple as like, if you loot every trash-can you see, then NPCs start calling you a trashdigger, or whatever. Tiny things like that. Maybe you're nice to one character and so that character's friends then respect you more and comment on it.

The hardest part for me design-wise has been coming up with actions that the player can take that NPCs can react to. This is something that ironically is probably way easier with a more traditional game, like using Hades as an example when you die and go to the hub the first NPC always comments on how you died, or what killed you.

Two of the things I've been thinking about to approach this are:
1) A 'battle' system except the whole thing is that your character is powerful and has a gun and has no problem slaughtering mere mortals, but maybe has a limited number of bullets in their gun for the entire run, or whatever. So the player can decide to solve problems violently and easily by just shooting whatever's in their way, but that tracks a hidden kill count and NPCs start reacting to you differently at different kill count tiers. Or you can be a good person and not kill anyone unless they really deserve it.

or 2) Having a whole bunch of pointless macguffins that players can steal/interact with/break/destroy/repair/whatever - things that don't necessarily have any bearing on the plot, but that creates a trigger for NPC comments. The more advanced version of this would be like, having several 'quests' where you can solve a problem in one of 3+ different ways, and NPCs comment on the choices you make.

An alternate to #2 is basically having newscasts going on throughout the game world (like a wizard's projection of a news anchor, or sci-fi TVs everywhere, or town criers, or whatever) and have those NPCs continually commenting on both the game's world/universe and on the ways the player is interacting with it.

Ultimately every time I get to this point in the brainstorming session I get really overwhelmed feeling like I need to add a ton of mechanics, interactions, complex flowcharts, etc. to make the game fun. But that's largely because I'm very jaded w/r/t videogames and don't find many of them 'fun' and I keep trapping myself into thinking I need to gamify everything and come up with powerful synergistic mechanics or whatever instead of just creating a cool world.

If I could do everything differently (like if my brain worked differently) what I would want to do with my game is build an entire world full of mundane conversations with NPCs and then try to work in the interesting/plot-relevant stuff because I think that stuff would be waaaaay easier to design with an established world space/characters/etc. But I have super-extreme ADHD and basically I just have to work on whatever part strikes my fancy at any particular minute

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 30, 2022