Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Euphoria is a teen drama created by Sam Levinson (adapted from an Israeli show) that airs on HBO. It stars Zendaya (who won an emmy for her performance in 2020) as Rue, an addict trying to get through high school, who forms a connection with new-in-town Jules, a trans girl played by Hunter Schafer. There are also many other characters and it has a killer cast including Sydney Sweeney, Storm Reid, and Maude Apatow. It is both wildly dark - think the British Skins, but even more intense and depressing - and wildly funny, with hilarious stylistic shifts and some great dialogue. But definitely way way more dark. It also looks extremely pretty with great cinematography, especially post-s1 where they've been shooting on film. Content-wise, it is unbelievably NWS and deals with a lot of triggering stuff like trauma/assault and addiction.

The show is currently three episodes into an eight-episode second season. Previously, there was an eight-episode first season in 2019, and two specials in late 2020 and early 2021.

I considered using e/n or SEX for the tag but I went with DRUGS instead and I still don't know if it was the right decision, if only there was a tag that's a mix of all three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This opening scene is WILD

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Lots of good flameouts this week. I was in stitches at the horrifically bad fake orgasm and then the impersonation of the horrifically bad fake orgasm

ahahahaha that was incredible. Zendaya is great at fake bad acting too it turns out

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahahah everyone is a way bigger hot mess than usual this week god drat. Unbelievably crazy episode

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

Also.

I had no idea there were 2 episodes between season 1 and 2 until this thread. Thanks OP

No problem! I thought it was worth noting just in case this exact thing happened. They’re fantastic episodes and I would hate for anyone to miss them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t really remember. I thought “is she trans?” and googled Schafer after her first scene or two

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Zendaya finna win another Emmy for this one

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think this ep made it fairly clear she was gonna pimp Rue out to pay off the rest of the debt.

Anyway here’s an excessively stupid take that made me unreasonably angry
https://twitter.com/kvanaren/status/1490768712009408526?s=21

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s the thing I shared yesterday

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently he was a consultant in season 1 and is a co-producer on this one.

These are the two really lovely ones he followed the original tweet up with

https://twitter.com/jeremyoharris/status/1490831199669198848?s=21

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I’ll check out the half-time show later I got Euphoria to watch!!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was a good episode. I really enjoyed the focus on the parents. I think anything would have felt like a mild letdown compared to last week, and this didn’t avoid that, but it was still neat even if I did frequently want to get back to Rue and Ali.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I totally buy the “Nate killed him accidentally in a rage” theory at this point

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode is hilarious I’m gonna poo poo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lexi is a lunatic and that was amazing and I’m so worried about Fez :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1495779920030621698?s=21

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

I truly cannot tell if this is a bad soap opera mess of a show that's occasionally accidentally really good (episode 5 of season 2, the Rue special), and really stylish (rotating hallway shot, dickpick presentation, detective Rue) or if it's a good show with a point and a purpose that's just overly self-indulgent on pacing and musical numbers and Riverdale-level drama and is actually going to pay things off.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really good ending to a season that contained very strong moments very often but that was messy and unfocused and never came together in a way that felt satisfying for me, especially with how many threads were dropped. I liked it a lot, but it fell JUST short of being A-grade for me.