Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did the party knew who the Briarwoods were serving in the live cast or was The Whispered One a pseudonym created because he's DnD property?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

They knew the Briarwoods were servants of some greater power but I don't think they had a name for who it was? I'm not even sure they had "The Whispered One" for a long while. Obviously anybody familiar with D&D can tell it's Vecna and Matt did use that name in the live cast, but the reveal took a very long time.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The Whispered One is a search and replace to avoid copyright. In DND it is Vecna.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They learned the name Vecna within a few episodes of the climactic fight (or within the same episode, I forget), but didn’t know what it meant.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

getting deeper into watching campaign 2

how many of these intricate detailed battle maps does matt mercer make and then just never use because the party doesn't go into that particular swamp or whatever

also was that echo knight guy supposed to be a major long term NPC he invented a whole class for and then the dude just dies in like one episode?

He can and I think does save them for another battle. The super fancy ones with smoke and lights he only seems to use when he knows for sure it's combat there. But a lava set, or a mountain set, or a forest, that kind of thing is easy to reuse.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'm watching campaign 2 too (currently at episode 24) and I really like how that group came together and how much unconventional and flawed all the characters are.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CuwiKhons posted:

I distinctly remember a point in Campaign 1 where the party had just mopped up a plot thread and had four different plot threads in wildly different directions they could go in and they couldn't agree on where they wanted to go before the session ended but they were firm that one in particular was one they wanted to put off until later. Matt, unsure of where they were going next since they hadn't decided, had to do triple the prep he normally did for the next session because he had no way of predicting which of the other three options they were going to take.

For the record, they ended up going to the exact location they had decided they weren't going to go. Matt's despair was palpable. D&D baby.

cRiTiCaL RoLe Is sCrIpTeD

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

getting deeper into watching campaign 2

how many of these intricate detailed battle maps does matt mercer make and then just never use because the party doesn't go into that particular swamp or whatever

He reuses some of his assets and sometimes when I squint really hard I can see the DM strings he pulls to ensure that yes, whatever the characters will choose to do they WILL meet this plot relevant NPC, learn this plot point and find this dungeon.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Just got done watching this and is it strange the series I most want to compare it to is Spartacus: Blood on the Sand?

The reason is the first few episodes are abysmally bad and then randomly without warning it picks up. The second half of the season is when the show just takes off and the quality jump is ridiculous.

In the animation shows it can't hold a candle to Arcane , especially as everyone but Taliesan Jaffe really needs to step up their game as he was carrying this show, but there's strong potential for improvement.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lid posted:

In the animation shows it can't hold a candle to Arcane

In their defense, what show can?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Didn't Arcane cost like $100 million to make?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Arcane was about as big budget as it was possible to be.

And as for the first two episodes - yeah you're absolutely right that they comparatively sucked. The original plan from the Kickstarter was to make those two episodes (well, it would have been one 40 minute special) and use that to shop around to various companies to try and find someone that wanted to put down the money to make more. Then of course the Kickstarter blew the initial goal out of the water. The Briarwood arc is a fan favorite (for good reason) and probably the easiest and most self-contained story so it was the perfect choice to adapt once they had the money for it. And thank god because I love the show but I don't know what studio would have watched those first two episodes and been like "yeah I want to fund a bunch of this," compared to the Briarwood arc.

Hopefully Amazon is game to commit to this though because the next major arc is going to need like 3 seasons to do competently and that's including trimming the fat.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Megazver posted:

In their defense, what show can?

I should've specified I meant not the animation/artstyle but the writing, voices, story. If it was just animation it's a slaughter, it should've been more Castlevania. Alot of the animation is closer to "a saturday morning cartoon became evil".

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Watching critical role is way too slow. I have poo poo to do.

Vox machina is great tho

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

HardKase posted:

Vox machina is great tho

Yeah, I watched a couple of “best moments” videos to see if maybe I could get into it, but it really isn’t my thing. Gonna keep watching the show though! It’s was pretty fun all the way through.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

He reuses some of his assets and sometimes when I squint really hard I can see the DM strings he pulls to ensure that yes, whatever the characters will choose to do they WILL meet this plot relevant NPC, learn this plot point and find this dungeon.

In a mid-late campaign 2 episode I watched recently one of the players expressed surprise at some map he pulled out and he explained that he put it together during the break.

He's definitely mentioned a couple times not using some elaborate map due to the gang just going off in a completely unexpected direction (spoilers for a major event in Xhorhas: like when Caleb just decided to hand the Beacon over to the Bright Queen)

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

HardKase posted:

Vox machina is great tho
It's excellent background noise. I'm powering through Campaign 1 and it's nice to have on in the background while playing Magic or browsing the forums.

Also they're doing a four-part prequel miniseries as a tie-in to Campaign 3 right now and it's very, very good.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

HardKase posted:

Vox machina is great tho

I got the cliff notes for campaign 1 because the audio quality was so bad to the point where I couldn't tell what was happening when peoples' voices raised even a little. I listened to all of campaign 2 and while it dragged in spots, I enjoyed it a lot. I fell off of 3 because the characters weren't jiving for me and the pacing was all over the place. I do listen to one offs whenever I get the chance because they're usually really good. I'd love for them to maybe release abridged episodes of the main campaigns.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pennsylvanian posted:

I got the cliff notes for campaign 1 because the audio quality was so bad to the point where I couldn't tell what was happening when peoples' voices raised even a little. I listened to all of campaign 2 and while it dragged in spots, I enjoyed it a lot. I fell off of 3 because the characters weren't jiving for me and the pacing was all over the place. I do listen to one offs whenever I get the chance because they're usually really good. I'd love for them to maybe release abridged episodes of the main campaigns.
They've found their footing in Campaign 3, finally. It took like 15 episodes but it's starting to feel cohesive.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Froghammer posted:

They've found their footing in Campaign 3, finally. It took like 15 episodes but it's starting to feel cohesive.

15 episodes is, what, 45 hours of content? I find it’s just too much to wade through for like 15 minutes of entertaining moments. I know they can’t really do 1 hour episodes, but an abbreviated edit like the other poster suggested would make getting into it a bit easier, I think.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Robobot posted:

15 episodes is, what, 45 hours of content? I find it’s just too much to wade through for like 15 minutes of entertaining moments. I know they can’t really do 1 hour episodes, but an abbreviated edit like the other poster suggested would make getting into it a bit easier, I think.

You might enjoy Dimension 20's campaigns instead. They're much, much tighter and the GM might be the one person in that whole scene who might be better at GMing than Mercer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah Brennan is a beast.

He's DMing a short run game for Critical Role right now EXU: Calamity.

First episode should be up on YT Monday.

Or yeah D20's stuff is good.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Having a background in improv, Brennan is the absolute king of "Yes, and..." Unparalleled.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Robobot posted:

Agreed, honestly. I like longer-format content because I'm a monster, but "this gets really, really good after 45 hours" is a big ask.

It's one of the reasons they're doing more miniseries and one-shots

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I put critical role on in the background when doing other things. It's good white noise content.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

I put critical role on in the background when doing other things. It's good white noise content.

Same but Friends. I don’t even like the show but every once in awhile there’ll be a decent 90s song I forgot about or I can play “Guess Matthew Perry’s Addiction Based On His Weight This Episode”, which is always fun.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Brennan is very knowledgeable about birds.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Having a background in improv, Brennan is the absolute king of "Yes, and..." Unparalleled.

I bang this drum a lot on the forums, but Dungeons and Daddies is the most buck wild Actual Play I've seen when it comes to improv.

Also, like Dimension 20, it doesn't have the problem of the first <x amount of> episodes having bad audio or editing or group dynamics. It starts really solid from episode 1.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 29, 2022

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Measure once, cut twice

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Measure once, cut twice

Gonna be wild if after VGHS, Rocket Jump, and skits with Jimmy Kimmel and K&P, that that is what people will remember Freddie for most.

EDIT: I forgot to even post about the show, yikes. Echoing this opinion for the millionth time, but those first few episodes are really rough. It seems like they were written as pitch material first- something to show to TV people so they could say "This ain't your daddy's fantasy cartoon!" The show does pick up afterwards. Taliesin probably turns in the best performance. Hopefully the success of the first season can get them a better animation budget because the static characters with a handful of lip flaps each doesn't do justice for the energetic performances.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 29, 2022

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The voice acting across the board is, unsurprisingly, possibly the best I've ever heard in an animated series. That's clearly the department that got the most polish.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
hosed up that this show was all about how lady briarwood was on her period

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is dimension 20 a rough start or is it good from the get go

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Dimension 20 is great out of the gate, but it kicks into overdrive at the end of the second episode. It’s a recurring theme with Brennan’s games, to the point that it’s become known as being “Episode 2’d”.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It takes the players a little time to warm up to the concept of roleplaying in general, maybe three or four episodes before they're bought into the concept.

Start with Unsleeping City if you want a full campaign with players bought in from the jump.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Froghammer posted:

It takes the players a little time to warm up to the concept of roleplaying in general, maybe three or four episodes before they're bought into the concept.

Start with Unsleeping City if you want a full campaign with players bought in from the jump.

Yeah, Fantasy High does have several players who have never played before, but they edit out a lot of the rules discussions.

I'd say start with Bloodkeep, as they have some other DM's at the table, including Matt Mercer, to help explain stuff to the newbies. It's also a bit shorter, and honestly my favorite to this day.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Nah, start with the school one, its real good

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Quinton posted:

In a mid-late campaign 2 episode I watched recently one of the players expressed surprise at some map he pulled out and he explained that he put it together during the break.

He's definitely mentioned a couple times not using some elaborate map due to the gang just going off in a completely unexpected direction (spoilers for a major event in Xhorhas: like when Caleb just decided to hand the Beacon over to the Bright Queen)

The "feel free to choose what you want, it will not matter" is something that happens only sometimes. It doesn't happens very often.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

YggdrasilTM posted:

The "feel free to choose what you want, it will not matter" is something that happens only sometimes. It doesn't happens very often.

Yeah Matt's one of the best DM's at rolling with his players' random ideas. It's why almost every guest DM gets accused of railroading by comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
One time he set up an adventure in a city that they'd been planning on going to, even making plans with a guest who was going to be a major part of it. He later had to text the guest, "I'm so sorry, they hosed off to an entirely different country"