Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
This'll probably be an unpopular opinion, but I was pretty underwhelmed by episodes 2 and 3.

The end of ep 3 didn't hit me - like, at all. Maybe I'm just a cynical old man these days, but the whole "don't go far from me" and Vax's incredibly unhealthy dependency on Vex was very heavy handed and a bit aggravating. This may be a product of them having to stuff in dozens of hours of character development into 3 thirty minute episodes, and I recognize the difficulty there. And this also may be partly my issue since I was watching the stream live when this stuff went down, and having Vax just crumble and end the episode crying rubbed me the wrong way. I won't spoil anything after that, but I think the people who watched the livestream will know what I'm talking about. I'm sure it'll be at the beginning of episode 4, but... eh.

Good voice acting, good animation, episode 1 was loving bonkers in a good way, I was just left with a very 'meh' feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
All I want is to see at one point them animate Bunions and Flagons for a single episode.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
This set of episodes loving slapped and it's really showed off the growth of the CR crew when it comes to telling narrative stories. Pass through Fire in particular was fantastic.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Pattonesque posted:

big ooof

and even then like, apparently his character was p. popular back in the day so it'd be like if the Beatles power rankings were Lennon/McCartney, Best, Harrison/Starr

That’s the hell of it, Tiberius was definitely a fan favorite. He was goofy and arrogant but it seemed like he was down with having the piss taken out of him. There were a few moments early on that were laugh out loud funny - a dwarf wizard casting silence on him only for Orion to start miming talking without missing a beat was great. He just fell head first into being That Guy. All the poo poo that came out afterwards was just puke frosting on a poop cake.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Overall, I thought season 2 was fantastic and was a big step up from season 1.

I also though the battle against Umby was a little anti-climactic. I dislike when the heroes are having big drat hero moments but the villain doesn't seem to be affected much, if at all. Like, Umbrasyl never seemed to be in any real danger, he always had an air of not being bothered by the crew, even with their vestiges. I would have liked the fight to have more of Umbrasyl being on the ropes, damaged and angry, than his whole "you can never defeat me" attitude. Maybe that's what they were trying for with him being a dragon and all, it just made the vestiges seem less powerful than they were built up to be. I may think differently on a re-watch.

A little of the same with Kevdak. Grog had his big power up moments (which were *loving awesome*), but even when Kevdak had to rip his own arm off, he didn't seem bothered at all by it. And the sudden switch of "power metal VM destroying everything" to "we're in serious trouble!" was a little jarring. I could rationalize it afterwards by reminding myself there were hundreds of the Herd they were fighting and they would be overwhelmed, but that wasn't very well conveyed.

All the other stuff though - Grog's glow up, the dragon fight as a whole, Vax officially accepting his duties as the Matron's champion, and Scanlan's whole ~thing~, it was all aces.

I do agree with what someone else pointed out - Ripley was very tangential and kind of pointless to the whole season other than reminding the viewer, "hey, there's this villain still out there". If we had more of an idea of exactly what she was scheming, maybe it would have been different, but as it is, she contributed nothing to the story. I would have liked it if there was a moment where we discovered the reason she was allying with Umby was to steal the vestiges from him or something like that. Not a big deal though.

Best screenshot moment in the Killbox: Percy's badass hellsing/batman moment with his gleaming glasses in front of an explosion.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Hollismason posted:

I thought this season was way better than the 1st season. I thought the animation was a lot better as well. Although curious if it'll get a season 3.

I'm pretty sure it's already been renewed for two more seasons, along with a season of their second campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Pussy Quipped posted:

It’s a bit, albeit not a very funny one.

Yeah. I've known way too many people who were genuinely high on their own farts and incredibly off putting as a result, and that's really soured me on that kind of attitude be it an affectation or not.