Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yes

Also probably need to figure out spoilers rules and make sure people specify spoilers.for the show or stuff that's based on the Livestream game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
God Talesin put his foot in episode 3

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

You just kinda get used to Scanlan, I was never a huge fan of him until, like a very specific story plot beat that kinda brings everything together later.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah, Arcane is just something that Riot spent an insane amount of money and time on.

It's so rare for anything to get that type of budget outside of like big budget movies.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dameius posted:

You know, the more I think about it the more i feel that the show should keep the major plot beats and work in whatever jokes and other stuff they want, but otherwise should break away some from the stream.

There is just too much stuff that happens in 4 hour episodes to condense down into one half hour spot and still have it be good coherent storytelling for people who haven't seen the stream. They are always back referencing/building on running gags which is great when you are watching the streams but makes it so hard to actually adapt.

I was already telling some people who bounced off the stream because of its runtime to watch the show and basically treat it as the anime to the source manga. Think they should just lean into that the further in we get.

Season 1 seems to just be the entire Briarwood's arc which means it's going to be massively condensed. As the episodes are 30 minutes and there like 10 episodes or so in a season.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sorta, So their official WotC licensed book Explorers guide to wildmount has the real names.

But the Taldorei books do not.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Philthy posted:

They weren't fully licensed when the Tal'Dorei book came out, so they ceased publication and now it's worth a pile. They have been since, as far as I have heard, fully licensed for their products going forward, including the newest book and anything in the future. The show itself included. Otherwise, we'd hear Grog wanting to "get angry" instead of rage. Or Scanlan casting "purple hand" instead of "Bigby's Hand" etc.

Scanlan is using "Scanlan's" hand in the show he yells it out when he's casting it

Raging isn't owned by WotC

Their new book Taldorei Reborn is not via Wizards, which is why it uses alternative names like the scaled tyrant for Tiamat

They are making an adventure call of the netherdeep which is officially Wizards licensed though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also there are tiers to dragons.

that dude was no ancient dragon.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sam when he wants to be is probably the best like mechanical and tactical player of D&D at that table.

He is also the one most likely to lets say, never use an ability he has to reroll 1s, except to gently caress over the party.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He has been trying and failing at using his lightning magic the entire series. It just worked this time.

Also it's scripted.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Robobot posted:

I was kinda disappointed that they managed to save her, to be honest. Outside of Percy’s buddy, who was telegraphed to die more than any red shirt on Star Trek, there haven’t been any character deaths that I’ve cared about.

Maybe it’s just not that kind of a show, but that cliff hanger of Percy’s sister bleeding out on the floor made me think that maybe it was.

No real complaints about any of this, mind you. It just kinda felt like a cop out that they managed to save her. Also it makes me not worry about any of the main characters getting mortally wounded since it’s now confirmed that dying is just kind of a suggestion unless you’re split in half or something.

But it’s D&D so that’s par for the course!

Yeah, they are pretty much gods, definitely nothing bad can happen to the main characters that will have lasting implications.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Do you mean during the podcast? 'Cuz this definitely wasn't shown in the show.

Like, the whole thing is that I do know how this is all supposed to work mechanically, which is why I was confused here at why they were acting like he didn't have powerful options at his disposal when he did. Bards are the most OP class!

No in the show, Scanlan has been trying to use that lightning ability multiple times for various things, it's just never worked out for him.

Also this is not D&D, the characters have specific signature abilities and things they can do, but not everything. It's scripted and not designed with perfect knowledge.

If you can't suspend any disbelief that someone might not always make the most perfect optimal decision about some thing whoo boy is this not going to work for you.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That's not how hasbro/WotC rolls lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

They don't even have like any more freedom than you or I do.

Their stream can use WotC stuff because they own the books and it's fair use to play and stream the game with the stuff you bought.

Their official books such as Wildemount and the Call of the Netherdeep, can use WotC stuff because they are working with WotC on them specifically. It's pretty much the same rules that apply to anyone who releases anything in DM's guild only obviously working directly with Crawford and Perkins.

Their unofficial book like Taldorei Reborn does not use any official WotC licensed creatures or names.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Why does Pike refer to Grog as buddies? Is it a dick joke?

It's just Buddy, and no, they are just really good friends.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm different, I think C2 grabbed me far more from the start, and felt more like organic.

These people who got brought together in C2 like didn't have near the like instant friends vibe that C3, it felt like their coalescing as a group of friends was more natural and earned. C2 also felt like far more player driven early on to me than C3 has. C2 also turns it up big after a major plot event.

C3 has probably more fun characters, which is nice, but yeah the Nein are probably my favorite character work from them of the 3 seasons so far.

C3 might grab me more when it finally opens up. It feels like we've been stuck in a tutorial area forever.

I think C2 would probably make for the best animated TV show, as it feels way more like structured with it's plot beats that come up like one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah Brennan is a beast.

He's DMing a short run game for Critical Role right now EXU: Calamity.

First episode should be up on YT Monday.

Or yeah D20's stuff is good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Aquasnake posted:

I've seen this a couple places, as someone who is only a few episodes into C2, does Marisha lose or change her voice or something later? Or do people just think she can't maintain it long term?

Beau is a brown skinned character.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The general problem here is that animation Voice Acting has a real serious Diversity problem.

They probably skate on Beau and others because their cast(in the cartoon) is otherwise generally diverse as poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lol right, forgot about Garmelie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

They aren't flirting lol