Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Someone good at time zones tell me is it after midnight PST now? Did you mean it drops on 29th? I'm confused because I expected this to be up by now.

Leaving this here because I'm dumb as gently caress and just realised it's the 27th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I think it's going to be hard for people coming in blind because most of the characters are douchey/edgelordy and it takes time to warm to them. Vex, Vax, Percy and Scanlon are all kinda shitheads at the start.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Re: Pike, Dont think this is really a spoiler but I think her running out of magic was less to do with a spotty connection to her deity and more to do with them coming up with a way to explain the mechanical limits D&D puts on magic use.

This show was Number 1 in Ireland according to Amazon's thingy. Wasn't expecting that.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Test Pattern posted:

That brings up one of the groups of changes they're going to have to have made for the show. Because the show isn't D&D-licensed, there's a bunch of signature monsters and elements (referred to by Wizards as "Product Identity") that are very much Wizards-owned IP, Illithids and Beholders both being on that list (we've already seen changes for this reason, referring to Vecna as only the "Whispered One" and with both eyes covered; "Scanlan's Hand"). Relatedly, (and I do mean relatedly, as Hasbro owns WotC) they changed "Jenga" to "chenga," a made up word we will be hearing quite a lot of over time.

I think the Rescue Lady Kima arc is the last time any of those monsters are quite so vital to the story (this being 2022, you can just call demons and devils demons and devils), and Mercer largely changed the cosmology anyway, despite some old plane names being in the stream.

(Fun bit of trivia, 3/11 of the creatures on that list were created by Charles Stross, Hugo-award winning author, when he was a teen.)

Pike not calling her goddess Seranrae is another example. I think that comes from pathfinder though rather than D&D. They started out in pathfinder if I'm not mistaken.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

In non intracast drama news.... new episodes tonight, right??

Is it Friday yet...

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

Well played :golfclap: I'm hoping that it drops at midnight GMT like the first week did..maybe? Something to get me through this hell day and knee deep into the briarwood arc??

it likely will, they seem to do it as the norm on prime. i just couldn't resist after making an eejit of myself last week.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Watched this batch of episodes and they were…..fine? Nothing offensively bad but nothing I really loved.

My main issue is that I feel like there’s very little if anything in here that feels like it really came from the characters improvising or loving around. Like it doesn’t feel like a podcast adaptation at all, it just feels like something that was scripted normally, with all the jokes feeling like…..regular scripted jokes. The joy of something like this, for me, is seeing the improvised banter/goofing between the characters, and that’s what I was most looking forward to seeing in this show, but it feels like they’ve taken that vibe out of it completely. I mean maybe a lot of the dialogue is from improvisations in the podcast, but it sure doesn’t feel like it.

It was never going to be what you wanted. Unless they animate the actual play with table and all that's never going to happen. Some people might like that but I can't see it going down with a mainstream audience and if you do like that you can always just watch the actual play already. They could maybe try adding animations to the actual plays after the fact but that sounds like a very time intensive thing to do and you'd have a fraction of a fraction of the people who even bother with lets plays interested in rewatching it just to see a few seconds of something animated interspersed with the normal show.

Maybe I'm wrong but I have to say that this animated show isn't just for existing critters, they're trying to expand their audience.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Phylodox posted:

If anyone really wants to get into the gameplay sessions in Critical Role but find themselves bouncing off of the early episodes, I suggest starting with campaign two. It’s miles less janky than the start of campaign one and much more geared towards having a story and an audience.

I'd actually suggest people just start with 3 instead of 2 because it only just started. It's way less daunting when it's 10 episodes to catch up than 100+ for a full campaign. The new characters are at the very least as good as two's and Robbie is a great addition.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

his mom

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It should be suggested those new to the Vox Machina story wait until the season ends before jumping into campaign 3 because (C3 spoilers) Laudna’s Patron . So give it two more weeks.

I don't think it matters that much unless you're really weird about spoilers and if you are, you're probably a critter already.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I don't get people saying that you need to be a critter or into ttrpgs to enjoy this. My wife has no interest in the actual play or D&D and she likes the show. It seems to be doing okay without that requirement given the reviews I've seen too.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The Last Call posted:

I like it. I had a good laugh at the zombie jaw drop myself.

Pike sure really made an impression.

Soooo about the ending of the last episode:

Was that Delilah in the cell? It kinda looked like her and she was missing an appendage, the same one she first carved the symbols into. So who's the Delilah with Silas? The demon? It is a demon right. Or evil god or old one.

There was another female name on Percy's list that wasn't Delilah but I can't remember what it was.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

The other name on the list was Anna Ripley. Percy has not yet made it clear who she is to him beyond an enemy, nor what she was doing for the Briarwoods.

I just figured it was them given what he did after seeing her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I was actually meaning the gender aspect, more. It's not any more appropriate for Sam to play Veth than for Matt to play Allura in that sense. But yes, the racial identity side also complicates it more.

Beau also needs to be recast.