Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So I finished watching all of the available episodes and 3 seems to be a bit stronger so I'm probably going to keep watching. I'm wondering how many people are going to be turned off by the first two episodes.

Yeah, the first two being rough and the third evening out definitely feels like a Thing. I almost tapped out in the first episode with not one but two projectile vomit jokes in as many minutes. Everybody but Pike and Keyleth were kinda unlikeable. It just goes on, but I did keep watching so I guess I didn't care that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dameius posted:

I guess technically they are already doing this wholesale with Pike for this arc. So I guess I'm saying just do that for everyone.

That does make me as a spoilerish question: did Pike have a problem channeling divine energy in the campaign?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

eke out posted:

Yeah Taliesen was the one person with enough experience to be like "my character has Actual Conflict in his backstory that the DM can bring up when ready," something basically everyone did in campaigns 2 and 3 but was relatively unique in 1

I believe they've said they weren't even really role-playing things very much until Laura just started talking in character while haggling with a merchant.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There was also the time Orion tried to leverage his background into being grand high poobah of like an entire fleet that he thought his dad would send, thus negating the big battle everybody'd spent a long time prepping themselves for. Laura absolutely dogged him for it, too. Just the most petty spotlight stealing stuff. It was then I realized Matt was very good at keeping his irritation in check, possibly hinting at retail experience.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dameius posted:

When Matt realizes Orion had been loving with the ruled on what his ring of spell holding (or whatever it was called) to give himself 3 level 3 spells instead of up to 3 spell levels of spells is the closest I've seen him just lose it on a person.

That was during a battle royal, wasn't it? I remember Orion doing that thing where he was trying so hard to pretend he didn't understand what Matt meant, just putting his eyebrows 'in confusion' so high up they were almost on the back of his head.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I was pretty confused of why Stonefell looked like an ugly bald frogman but I just learned he is voiced by Darin De Paul, who is exceptionally good at voicing weird monster humanoids. They probably changed him for the sake of having Darin voice a nasty little creature.

As Darin himself has said, "I look like an accountant and sound like a monster."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There was also a soupcon of "she's getting preferential treatment 'cause she's the DM's girlfriend" which is... yeah.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robobot posted:

I was going to post something about how weird it is to get upset about a D&D game you’re not involved with at all, but then I remembered a solid two minute rant I went on in a bar about a first round draft pick of a team I don’t follow so I’ll just say:

Man, fans get weird about poo poo.

Man, that got super intense when the game first launch. I'm sure it still goes on but when CR just dropped, oh, lord, you'd think Laura forgetting to use her Hunter's Mark was a crime worthy of the gallows.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm not normally one to say this but I kinda wish they'd lay off the profanity a little. It feels a little jarring for some reason. Can't explain it. I don't actually expect this to happen, so I'll live with this.

That said I'm impressed with how the show has come. The first two episodes honestly felt like below mediocre Adult Swim and now it's a really good fantasy adventure thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Can't blame anybody wanting nothing to do with the Underdark these days, especially if it's drow-related.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Megazver posted:

Here's a dumb hypothetical for you to pass time:

If you were to pick a cast of a new CR animated show from the PCs from all three campaigns, who would you pick? Since this is presumably an animation, you can pick multiple characters from the same player.

Honestly you could boil it down to Jester and Nott the Brave* and just rotate anybody else in and out for me.

One of the funniest things Sam ever said was "Oh, there's no comma."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

YggdrasilTM posted:

Uh, maybe I'm stupid, but what would be the problem?

CR's already come under fire for some things related to race, whether one agrees with the argument or not, and that's not a fire you want to dump more fuel on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One thing I think hurts Scanlan is not being able to see Sam's expressions while he does Scanlan things. Honestly there could just be a camera devoted to Sam's facials on CR's streams and that could be all you need to watch. I was watching a bit from season 2 of the stream when two characters finally decided to go on a date and the lightbulb that went off over Sam's head when he thought of a way to mess with it (in a fun way) was great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuwiKhons posted:

Edit - if you didnt watch that episode, it'd be easy to think we're exaggerating when we say 'a thousand mirrors' and Orion just said he wanted a lot of them. We're not exaggerating. Orion had looked up the suggested price of a small mirror in the player's handbook, did the math, and asked for one thousand of them. Matt was understandably incredulous.

I figured this one is worth showing, because it's an extremely Gamer moment. https://youtu.be/2mB-aM2bIBk?t=8687 Travis' headshake when Orion asks is pretty great.

(As a warning this is Orion's last episode and things get really awkward down the line. It's got the bit where he tries to leverage his background by calling in troops he would not have access to.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dameius posted:

Gold totals have always been kind of meaningless past 1e when it was used as XP. Whitestone arc they basically had the gold to get one or two big ticket items and most of the consumables they'd want. By the end of the next arc they basically had no more real financial constraints on them and at most they just need to shuffle things around in the moment to make whatever purchase they wanted. They even had recurring payroll for their keep eventually.

It was always funny that Vex was never really straight when they asked how much money they had as a group, although Matt didn't bother with copper counting anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

how many of these intricate detailed battle maps does matt mercer make and then just never use because the party doesn't go into that particular swamp or whatever

If he's like any other GM, the answer is "a lot."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuwiKhons posted:

This thread's not long enough to warrant making a new one, I think.

Also main takeaway - hhhhnnnnn there's a brief few frames of Vex wearing Percy's coat and I suspect that's after the tomb and my dumb shipper heart is so excited. I love their relationship.

Would absolutely mark out if we get the bit where Vax talks to Vex in the tub and after he leaves Percy sticks his head up from the water, takes in a deep breath and says "I thought he'd never leave."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

After episode three I rewatched The Sunken Tomb and they all make Reflex saves and it's all fun when Laura rolled a 1! Sam jokes about instant death!
Then it was less fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw, they got Sam's daughter to play Little Keyleth.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This is a good summation. I was re-watching the bit where Orion had his little tantrum when Tiberius saw Allura and Kiva together. And not 'together' together, at least not then. He reminded me a lot of bad players I'd seen over the years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuwiKhons posted:

This abundance of healing in Campaign 1 was what lead to the hilarious circumstances of early Campaign 2 where Laura had decided to play a cleric because Pike always seemed to be lots of fun and swiftly discovered that she was the only person in the group capable of casting a healing spell which meant she wasn't allowed to do anything fun because it was critical that she save her spell slots for healing. Luckily, this problem ultimately corrected itself.

There was also the Incident where somebody had a class that was powered by damage to their HP when they only had a d8 hit die. This has sense been largely corrected in updates as far as I know.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ninjahedgehog posted:

I won't be satisfied until WotC makes Warlord a base class again. gently caress healing with the power of the gods, or nature, or arcane music, I want to bring my comrades back from the brink of death by yelling at him to stop being such a baby and rub some dirt on it :black101:

They don't like to grab from 4E so overtly. They try to be subtle.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doesn't Orion have some rights to that stuff?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love how Sam slips from shitposting at the table to playing an actual character and then back again. And as a stark contrast to Orion's metagame habits is honestly the most likely out of the cast to shoot himself in the foot if it made sense in character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuwiKhons posted:

If some people don't like Keyleth, that's fine. It really is - there's main characters I don't like in all three campaigns. Vax is my least favorite of the VM bunch (although he's actually been better in the cartoon and Scanlan has overtaken him for least favorite) but I'm maybe a little oversensitive to Keyleth bashing because oh my god were people godawful about her in Campaign 1. It's just one of those things I don't trust at a glance.

Yeah, the 'oh, she's just the GM's girlfriend' stuff was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senjuro posted:

There's also the matter of the audience he's playing to. At the table he's joking with his close friends which are all in on the joke so even at his crudest, creepiest and most vulgar everyone can laugh out of character even if in character they just look at him in disgust. In the show only the in character reaction is left. Even for the audience it's no longer as easy to separate Sam making a joke with Scanlan being awful as the character is all you see.

There's a very interesting bit I noticed re-watching the first campaign at one point when Orion was going full Orion and was trying to be funny you could see Sam shake his head a little and say just audibly something like "don't do it" so Sam knows what lines not to cross.