Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'm surprised you're not giving Laura the nod for voicing Kid Trunks in DBZ. I guess she's done bigger by now but that was the big credit she was known for when CR started annnd its the credit that got her and Travis together. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

My anime knowledge is functionally nil so that meant nothing to me but it's in the OP now!

When the show first went live on Twitch and their notable credits were being used as selling points it was Kid Trunks and Lust from Full Metal Alchemist that were her big two. Which also meant her and Travis got to have another great/charming anecdote because his character got to kill her character in a pretty gruesome way.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You know, the more I think about it the more i feel that the show should keep the major plot beats and work in whatever jokes and other stuff they want, but otherwise should break away some from the stream.

There is just too much stuff that happens in 4 hour episodes to condense down into one half hour spot and still have it be good coherent storytelling for people who haven't seen the stream. They are always back referencing/building on running gags which is great when you are watching the streams but makes it so hard to actually adapt.

I was already telling some people who bounced off the stream because of its runtime to watch the show and basically treat it as the anime to the source manga. Think they should just lean into that the further in we get.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Season 1 seems to just be the entire Briarwood's arc which means it's going to be massively condensed. As the episodes are 30 minutes and there like 10 episodes or so in a season.

Yeah, I feel like, right now at least, the smart thing to have done would have been to map out the absolute must have moments from the arc that will get potted to the show. Then, while still trying to keep faithful to the source material make up whatever you have to so that all those scenes connect properly for the format.

I guess technically they are already doing this wholesale with Pike for this arc. So I guess I'm saying just do that for everyone.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I've tried to get into the podcast and never could, and I watched these episodes and I quite liked them! They feel very self-aware and tropey and, sure, stereotypical in many ways, but, I do like that there are hints of more meaningful character stuff to come, which will hopefully all be worthwhile. In the meantime, kinda just like seeing D&D stuff on a show where, I dunno, Tiamat might come onscreen and you can be like "ooh! It's Tiamat!"

The thing that really made C1 unique compared to C2 and C3 was just how and when we started following the band of heroes.

Before the stream started they were pretty much like any other friends group table that's ever had a campaign. Vox Machina were really called the Super High Intensity Team Squad (or, The S.H.I.T.S. (may have slightly goofed the words but the acronym is right)). Vox Machina was what they came up with basically on the spot when Felicia Day convinced them to bring the game on stream.

While everyone in the game are professional actors and directors, the game was their way to have a scheduled reason to get together one Saturday a month and spend all day catching up with each other and tell dick and fart jokes. All of these characters had as much planning and forethought as needed to survive a single birthday party oneshot by a group of people who most of had never played any table top game ever.

By the events of episode 3, all of this started to change. At this point we are in the high 20s (27? 28? doesn't matter) number of streams for Critical Role and everyone involved is starting to get a sense of the lightning in a bottle they have and this story arc from the campaign that will make up season 01 of the show was when they really transitioned from actually just being a group of nerdy rear end voice actor friends sitting around a table and playing Dungeons and Dragons and instead became a group of nerdy rear end voice actor friends who were using structured improv to deliver A Story™ to an Audience™.

So this is really when everyone started putting the narrative focus on fleshing out who and what these characters are and tightening everything up. This also applies to the cast as well since before the stream they were playing Pathfinder, not D&D 5e and Matt the call to convert them to 5e for the stream in accommodations to the stream audience. Percy's class doesn't exist in D&D so Matt had to homebrew it for the switch and everything was very much a Work In Progress that didn't all start clicking together into what CR would become until around here in the campaign. For this and other important but not relevant to this post reasons, most people suggest starting C1 at basically where episode 3 does.

This is in contrast to C2 and C3 where from the start everything about the characters/game/world building/the game was already done with the knowledge of them being Dramatis Personae for a long haul narrative and thus built from their foundations with the audience/the show in mind.

As someone who has been watching the stream weekly since almost the first episode and has had waaay to much time to idly think about these things, I am really curious to see how anyone in the thread who picks up the show with little to 0 CR knowledge reacts to all of this so I want to echo the sentiment from the OP to please and especially :justpost: if you're one of those people.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah Talisen was brought into the original birthday game via Matt as his ringer for the group to help the first time players (he actually didn't play Percy then, but a paladin. Marisha was also also Matt's ringer but with no character, just purely out of game coaching/assisting with rules explanations and such).

Talisen's take on the game was basically a series of, "oh honey..." as he kept bailing them out of Baby's First D&D Puzzle or encounter or etc... after they flailed around for awhile.

e:

Gaz-L posted:

I mean everyone else does have stuff that comes up, but I'm honestly not sure how much of that was in the home game and how much got fleshed out once they realised the stream was a success and their theater kid sides came out.

Everyone was supposed to show up to the game with a character/class/name in mind. Travis did none of these and was late. So Goliath because they are the biggest. Barbarian because the flavor text sounded cool and was a melee/not-spell caster class. Grog because when he realized he forgot to pick one beforehand it was the first word to come out after "uhhhhh".

Sam told Liam he wanted to play the least favorite class as the least favorite race and as mentioned above made it an explicit Eminem parody.

And so on. Because Talisen had grown up playing table tops like and with Matt, he did the thing every experienced player does and just kind of naturally built Percy with backstory plot hooks already included, as opposed to everyone else having to figure it out on the fly both pre-stream and especially once the stream took off.

Pre-Stream they had already had a story arc involving the twin's dad. Marisha made Keylith also with natural hooks built in and one of the most memorable for them big bad arcs pre-stream was Keylith accidentally merking killing some kids the big bad was using as literal human shields in the final fight and having to wrestle with that fact as goody-goody violence averse person who is supposed to be figuring out how to become a powerful tribal leader on what amounts to a long rear end spirit journey.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 30, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I hope he does a song for (Major Campaign Final Arc Spoilers) Counterspelling Vecna, right down to Vecna being absolutely confused and angry at the song.

I really hope this gets the ratings enough to take it to the end because I can't wait to see Arkhan deliver the best campaign capstone moment. Really gotta hand it to him (:grin:).

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A scene that could end up in this season is Grog and the sword having a chat in the out house while Scanlan takes lookout. Was one of the early campaign pivotal moments where you get a sense for how genius Travis played Grog. Grog and any time the deck will come up is another. Same really for when Travis and Sam can really riff off each other.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Speaking of Keylith, I can't wait for the we're basically gods moment in... probably season 2? 3? moment.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

I ran into the same issue and then real life intervened. Enterprising souls can keep trying or try next week if they'd like though. I'll probably multidevice/rifftrax it once it goes VOD and I have a minute

Don't feel bad about missing it and having to pick it up on VOD. Been watching them since 2015 and I can count on a single hand the number of things they've done that I've caught live.

e:

Rougey posted:

Remember at that point, everyone else had died at least once in combat. Kiki just needed an important lesson in humility..

Really showcases her strengths of sound a calm decision making while under panic.

Also the bathtub moment will be golden.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 2, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A super short summary that leaves out a lot of the supporting details:

Orion Acaba played Tiberius Stormwind the dragonborn sorcerer and was a member of the original pre-stream cast. He said he grew up in the adversarial DM era of ttrpgs and so he was a heavy min/max meta gamer to the point of outright cheating dice rolls and selectively misinterpreting rules in his favor.He also suffered from main character syndrome and once things went to stream all of this came to focus. Right during the events that make up episodes 3 through maybe 4 or 5 of the show he wad kicked off the stream and his character has since been retconned out of everything because part of the leave agreement was him arguing he gets full rights and control of Tiberius which he used to create a radio drama since cancelled. He was a mess in his personal life and did a string of supremely lovely things post ejection.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Its a real shame because the character Tiberius in the hands of a different person would have been pretty fun to see. It wasn't really until the big bad of the first narrative arc that without hindsight the cracks started showing, at least as I remember them watching week to week. Travis (Grog) hates shopping episodes and Orion would spotlight steal by going on exceptionally long solo shopping adventures and towards the end it looked like Travis was struggling to keep composure on camera during them. Owell, what a shame.

e: completely unrelated, this whole thing started when Felicia Day asked them to bring their game on her Twitch channel and she guest starred in an episode that takes places before the show. I think it would be nice if they worked her character into the plot somewhere down the line.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 3, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
When Matt realizes Orion had been loving with the ruled on what his ring of spell holding (or whatever it was called) to give himself 3 level 3 spells instead of up to 3 spell levels of spells is the closest I've seen him just lose it on a person.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I would have absolutely given the benefit of the doubt to Orion for the ring thing but it was one of many things that Matt had noticed.

Like the others (and you) have said, this wasn't some isolated thing but rather the Nth "misunderstanding" of rules after so many cheated dice rolls that the people next to him at the table watched every single roll he did and signaled to Matt if he was telling the truth and would help him add anything up if he paused for even a second.

Anyways the biggest train wreck of them all is episode 27 so go watch it or don't.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

...I just got the joke where Grog said Scanlan's into the freaky poo poo when the house is on fire: He thinks they're still talking about the brothel because Vex mentioned it a minute ago.

Grog has an int of 6 so there are non-sentient creatures that can challenge him in intelligence. In the stream Travis plays this to absolute loving comedy perfection constantly. With out hyperbole one of the smartest portrayals of the dumb guy trope in any media.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The Underdark set up a few tropes that repeated throughout the series like their love affair with taking lava damage or the already discussed Pike muderhobo/deity arc. It also established some of Scanlan's reoccurring gimmicks like poop scrying. The arc also helped cement their relationship with members of the Tal'Dorei Council that came into play during the arc following the Briarwoods.

Its not impossible that you couldn't wedge it in somewhere post Briarwood's but it'd need a bit of plot revision to work and will always be a little awkward.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Was floating cows part of the post Underdark cleanup? Would that get included? If yes then they should work it in ASAP.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah, while CR has been way more than happy to cash a long string of DND Beyond sponsorship checks and officially integrate this and partner with that, in all the ways that matter CR has carefully built everything so they can pivot on a dime and stop being DND at any point. Which is both really smart of them and makes sense since they didn't even start their game/campaign setting in DND in the first place.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They'll probably have her arrive there for the first time after the Chroma work them over and the gang are on their way to the elemental plane.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The character Tiberius in the hands of any other person would have been good. But he wasn't and isn't and here we are.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Spice? It'll have some spice?

Spice? Spice? You got some spice?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Finally getting to the last episodes and just two things that kind of bothered me. One, the SFX around Percy's gun were distractingly bad to me. Sounded like infinite cocking even when he was just moving it around. Two, I wish the animation budget allowed for more frames.

Also I think the point about Scanlan hitting different in the show because it was condensed compared to the stream where he was much more spaced out is pretty apt.

e: I think the point applies to Grog as well in the sense that he shines best when he has the space to not be so flatly one dimensional.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 22, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Honestly for me the worst part of Keylith's arc was not even her fault per se. It was the run there where Vax had frequent 1-on-1 scenes with her where he let loose his inner emo. No one scene was bad but the frequency in a short run got to be a bit of a slog.

e: lol what a snipe.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You wouldn't think pyramids could get around so easy.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Matt and Ashley did all of the scratch tracks for all dialogue in all episodes. They mentioned it somewhere at some point. Probably one of the promotionals or backer updates I saw.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Eventually he gets a pokeball necklace to live in.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Gold totals have always been kind of meaningless past 1e when it was used as XP. Whitestone arc they basically had the gold to get one or two big ticket items and most of the consumables they'd want. By the end of the next arc they basically had no more real financial constraints on them and at most they just need to shuffle things around in the moment to make whatever purchase they wanted. They even had recurring payroll for their keep eventually.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Laura suffering psychic damage watching Travis have Grog "negotiate" with a merchant truly was a fun time had by all.

e: Also I absolutely cannot wait for this scene next season, maybe season 3 if there is one depending on pacing? Link to video, putting it behind spoilers in case anyone has some kind of auto preview for YouTube URLs. Click link for spoilers.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 23, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The Whispered One is a search and replace to avoid copyright. In DND it is Vecna.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Brennan is very knowledgeable about birds.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The first time they went to Ank'Harel in campaign 1 it was towards the end of the episode and Matt called the game a little early because he basically had nothing prepared at all and wasn't expecting them to randomly decide to gently caress off to a different continent for the first time ever when he had laid out all these plot breadcrumbs right in front of them.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Seeing the trailer reminded me of the episode where Keyleth was tripping balls and Travis had a table talk joke about how Keyleth couldn't stop clenching her jaw and that's when I realized him and Laura were also in the cool kids club, not just the burning man crew.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lucas Archer posted:

This'll probably be an unpopular opinion, but I was pretty underwhelmed by episodes 2 and 3.

The end of ep 3 didn't hit me - like, at all. Maybe I'm just a cynical old man these days, but the whole "don't go far from me" and Vax's incredibly unhealthy dependency on Vex was very heavy handed and a bit aggravating. This may be a product of them having to stuff in dozens of hours of character development into 3 thirty minute episodes, and I recognize the difficulty there. And this also may be partly my issue since I was watching the stream live when this stuff went down, and having Vax just crumble and end the episode crying rubbed me the wrong way. I won't spoil anything after that, but I think the people who watched the livestream will know what I'm talking about. I'm sure it'll be at the beginning of episode 4, but... eh.

Good voice acting, good animation, episode 1 was loving bonkers in a good way, I was just left with a very 'meh' feeling.

Campaign 1 happened at a time in my life where I had a ton of time at work to fill with background noise and putting the VODs on worked wonders for that. As a result, I've watched the majority of C1 multiple times and I'm really trying to just take this show as is and not try and imprint any feelings from C1, especially beats they had to cut out. It worked well for me for season 1 but also the Briarwood arc didn't have a lot of the campaign high points in it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They should do the Critmas one shot as a standalone before they bring in C3 content.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

victorious posted:

What is Campaign 3 like? I watched the first few episodes but I just don't have time to keep up with it anymore.

It's a lot closer to the magic of C1. I'd say it's basically what C1 would have been if they started from session 0 knowing they'd be a major live stream event that has the option to get turned into an animated series.

That said, I'm also behind because having kids really sucks up all the time you would have had to watch a 4 hour stream.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

They got friends who work as amusement park engineers on ride immersion technology stuff to design their set for C3.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I mean, if they open up those College Humor floodgates, I would lose my goddamned mind. Lou Wilson, Zac Oyama, Emily Axford. You know the Critical Role folks would take any excuse at all to get everyone involved.

Erika Iishi has already had a major plot time in C3.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

CuwiKhons posted:

There's definitely stuff I would have loved to see animated that has sadly been skipped (like the standoff in the workshop between Grog and Percy over the Gith skull which they just straight up don't have in this version) but we gotta be realistic here. Critical Role Campaign 1 was over 400 hours of content. poo poo was always going to get pared down and no matter what you remove, it's always going to be somebody's favorite scene (unless it's a Tiberius scene. Nobody wants to see that poo poo).

And just because Amazon likes them now doesn't mean they're safe forever. I would rather they told a story to completion than tried to fit in every memorable scene and then got canceled after season 4 with only half the dragons dead and entire story arcs untapped.

Tiberius going around up the chain of command buffooning his way to the top to get the teleport sigil ("Hello, I'm Tiberius Stormwind of Draconia" x25) would have been funny to animate. :colbert:

But also, gently caress him and all the baggage that would have added.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

only having read about it way after the fact when CR was already super popular it feels like that dude executed one of the biggest bag-fumblings ever

I remember that was the consensus back when the briarwood arc was still originally airing and he had only been gone for a few episodes officially. The stream from pretty early on, I'd say maybe around mid Briarwood to possibly where S2 kicked off felt like they had captured lightning in a bottle and it was just wild growth week to week in either raw numbers, awareness, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

can you actually explain this one to me

If you're referring to the spoiler text then the link above to summarize the drama will be good enough. If you're referring to the scene then the pre-context you need about his character was that he was supposed to be a pompous arrogant know-it-all noble, but secretly was putting on that act and had a heart of gold kind of deal.

In the plot, which all happened before S1 kicks off so I won't spoiler it, they take a spell circle to a new location, like a large organization's library I think? (I honestly forget the context to them landing there) and he basically just walks up to the first person and does his introduction and word vomits at the guy trying to get what he wants. Gets redirected to be Someone Else's Problem™ up the food chain and he repeats the same act. This cycle repeats like 6-8 times in game before VM gets what they want.