Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I use the hyphen a lot - I use it perhaps too much, in ways that aren't grammatically correct, but - I don't care.

It really helps to moderate the intended tone, I find. Something that's increasingly important in today's world where more and more business and even communication is done on line. I considered using a hyphen there after 'find', by the way.

Where you would use a period or a comma, or even nothing at all, you can instead use a hyphen - giving your written word the exact same kind of half pauses if you were using trying to be an effective communicator IRL.

People are stupid, too, let's be honest - so hyphens help to kind of guide them through complex ideas or sentences. Run on sentences are bad but hyphens make them not run on, but not get broken up as much as with periods. A complex idea can be taken in as a whole while still maintaining its individual parts.

I just sent a business email that had 12 hyphens in it. Honestly that might have been too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BigHead posted:

I give this thread an A-

are you like a 4th grade teacher? 5th?

gently caress yeah still got it

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh god, hyphens ARE the millennial ellipsis

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Devils Affricate posted:

Hyphens join words together, OP. What you're talking about is the double dash, or the em dash. It's properly used without spaces on either side.

No and no it isnt.

Also agreed you canot use semicolons at all ever. Or say whom, even if you perfectly know how to use both.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
how do you use a ~ in a sentence? teach me your ways