Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

some plague rats posted:

This is a good start, but it doesn't prevent other mods from coming in and handing out probes to anyone being rude to their buddies. When mods involved in an argument say something like "I'll get some other mods to look over this" it comes across as "I want to probe you but that would violate the rules so I'll have someone else take a look because there's a good chance they'll think like me"

Koos are you the official mod spokeman? Because it's odd to have a feedback thread where half of the mods don't even post anything, even when their specific decisions are being called into question. Commie came by, god bless him, and Fritz and I think GJB but goutpatrol specifically hasn't said anything despite being one of the more active mods in terms of handing out probes?

Yes, I'm the Big Man and the other mods are following my lead currently. That's why I've been the main one responding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If moderation is only done by people outside of the discussion then that means only those who are completely unfamiliar with the thread will be moderating them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If moderation is only done by people outside of the discussion then that means only those who are completely unfamiliar with the thread will be moderating them.

It's pretty easy to read back a few pages and get a good sense of the context for the report. Also, some mods, like myself, do a lot more lurking then posting. So even if I don't spend a lot of time posting outside Covid thread, I still keep up with a number of DnD threads and am familiar with their discussions.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

some plague rats posted:

This is a good start, but it doesn't prevent other mods from coming in and handing out probes to anyone being rude to their buddies.

yeah dealing with this tag team stuff from a while back was intensely annoying and i would very much like to see less of it

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

some plague rats posted:

This is a good start, but it doesn't prevent other mods from coming in and handing out probes to anyone being rude to their buddies. When mods involved in an argument say something like "I'll get some other mods to look over this" it comes across as "I want to probe you but that would violate the rules so I'll have someone else take a look because there's a good chance they'll think like me"

Is there a concrete example of this happening? I cannot remember any such incidents.

edit: Also why do I have a dog avatar now? If it is an meme, I would like to understand what it is.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

It's pretty easy to read back a few pages and get a good sense of the context for the report. Also, some mods, like myself, do a lot more lurking then posting. So even if I don't spend a lot of time posting outside Covid thread, I still keep up with a number of DnD threads and am familiar with their discussions.

That's good to hear.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

MikeC posted:

Is there a concrete example of this happening? I cannot remember any such incidents.

edit: Also why do I have a dog avatar now? If it is an meme, I would like to understand what it is.
Scruff McGruff, Chicago Illinois, 60652

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

As you can see, all the mods are reading this thread but not necessarily posting. I never posted that much in the first place.

If it appears that I am doing more probed than any other mod (I'm not counting) it could be because I'm the only mod not in a North American time zone, so I'm looking at the queue at different time periods than others.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah for example I rarely engage in discussion in CE or China thread but I do have them bookmarked and read or at least skim almost every post, I've done so well before I came on as a mod.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If it does end up getting in the way of moderation i can just reverse it. I do admit it could be viewed as a hard rule attempting to compensate for lack of community trust or mod judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Thank you for the feedback, all. Even though I'm closing the thread my PMs are still open for any concerns you have.