Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
every d&d rule update is intended to make the american politics threads less awful, but the most recent set is the first i can remember being applied so mindlessly that it fucks up other regional threads. a probation for this incredibly mild post

bike tory posted:

Mate you're the one who aligns with Simeon Brown on this issue so I'm not sure you're in any position to criticise.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
during an argument about transport policy has derailed the nz thread into talking about the probation for like half a day so far. this doesn't benefit anyone, and inventing some bizarre category of "demilitarised" threads is a bad alternative to just moderating with regard to context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Koos Group posted:

Demilitarized isn't a category I intend to invent, it's just a cheeky way of referring to something that already exists, which is lighter moderation for regional threads. This is because the members tend to know each other quite well, and there's socialization involved in addition to debating and discussing. This is also a good example of why its' good to have regional IKs, because there is some context that mods from other countries are likely to miss even if they're careful (as I seem to have in this case, as it was apparently meant less seriously than I thought). I actually had a cordial chat with bike tory after that probe, and they were in favor of just using a lighter touch on the thread.

thanks for clarifying. i think lighter-touch enforcement is appropriate for like 95% of the threads here, they can mostly resolve issues by themselves.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the term 'whataboutism' is worthless, since it generally just means 'pointing out hypocrisy' – if anything, it would be good if the people who use it reflected on why their criticism is determined by who the actor is, rather than the act itself!

Lib and let die posted:

'Abuse' is an extremely loaded term, and applying it to posts you disagree with on the internet is tantamount to calling speeding an 'abuse' of transit infrastructure - just because a usage of it technically conforms to the broad dictionary definition doesn't mean it's an appropriate term to deploy in every situation.

agreed. it would be like calling dv a 'pervert' (one who has turned to a twisted sense of values or morals) because you find his views perverse or whatever.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Mods should need to peer review probations with people they are debating with. I'm sure it happens and I just don't realize it, but more than just asking another mod to probate someone without question, sometimes we all need a "dude your in the wrong here" to better self regulate our emotional responses. The fact that people are afraid of getting probed when a mod is arguing is not great. Y'all do good work, but knowing a probe is being looked at by a neutral person may coax those fears.

a mod shouldn't press the button on people they're debating with at all. it always comes across as incredibly petty, regardless of how clear a rule breach the post may have been.