Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I like the direction things are going, but I think moderators should either stay out of discussions or make it extremely clear when they're acting as a moderator and when they aren't. For example, commiegir recently posted this in response to petercat:

CommieGIR posted:

....are you really going down this road?

How is a post like this supposed to be interpreted? Is this a warning that continuing down this road will lead to mod action, and if it is, then why is it so vague about what, exactly, the problem with the post in question is?

If this is a "normal post" disconnected from commiegir being a mod, then how is it an acceptable post? It's equivalent to saying "this is cringe" which is hardly adding anything to the discussion.

edit: I'd like to add that I think CommieGIR is generally a fair mod although I suspect we disagree on a lot of things.

Jizz Festival fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

A big flaming stink posted:

alright i was told to come here so let me state my beef

this is an INSANELY lovely weaponization and minimization of the terms abuse and abuser. there is ABSOLUTELY NOT a power disparity in online forums remotely analogous to the one present between abuser and victim, and to see it invoked this way is not just loving rude as hell, its also deeply offensive to victims of abuse!

like maybe its my own history with abuse, but this poo poo makes me see red.

I dislike DV as much as anyone but his use of the word is completey in-line with the stuffy dictionary definition provided and fits his general posting style as well.

If I would like to see less of anything from normal posters, it's these sorts of attempts to turn pretty harmless offenses into huge deals that are causing real harm and action must be taken, blah blah blah. It's all so boring and people never let this poo poo go.