Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I asked this question some time ago for the 2D FF games and I got this:

I: PSP
II: PSP
III: NES (technically Family Computer but still)
IV: PSP
V: GBA
VI: GBA

I'm not sure how the pixel remasters compare though it should make III more tolerable to those who didn't want the 3D version. Slotting in the western FFV GBA script into the Super Famicom version should make that the definitive version. Not sure on VI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ohh yeah it was the GBA script that got ported to SNES, not PR to GBA.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I bought the pixel remasters solely for extensive modding. Moogle Mod Manager supports all of them

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Island Nation posted:

I asked this question some time ago for the 2D FF games and I got this:

I: PSP
II: PSP
III: NES (technically Family Computer but still)
IV: PSP
V: GBA
VI: GBA

I'm not sure how the pixel remasters compare though it should make III more tolerable to those who didn't want the 3D version. Slotting in the western FFV GBA script into the Super Famicom version should make that the definitive version. Not sure on VI

Pixel remaster of III is good. But the Famicom art is still very good for the time period if you're after that.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
MSX port of 1 is also a treat.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
III PR jobs have significant changes from the NES version, mostly to bring them in line with their appearances in later games. Monks get Kick, Rangers get Rapidfire, Vikings get Draw Attacks, Bards have a selection of songs (including a party wide heal that obsoletes White Magic and trivializes the game), etc. Not sure if it's the definitive version but it's definitely the easiest one.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

IIRC in the original FC FF3, the two endgame jobs are incredibly overpowered, so there's no point to be any of the others. Unless you're trying to master all jobs or something.

Did the DS/PSP remake of 3 add a bunch of bonus content like the GBA/PSP versions of the other games? If so, I'd put my vote towards DS/PSP. Although if someone someday mods all the bonus content into the pixel remasters (and fixes the wacky framerates), that'd be pretty appealing to me.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Thematically I thought that final areas of FF3 were neat.
A few hours into the game you’re given an Airship and you fly off the opening floating continent onto an endless ocean and the only thing sticking out of the water is this crystal tower. When you clear the water, the area around the tower is guarded. When you finally enter the tower you find out that the basement goes as far down as it goes up, and you appear to be in a kind of Land of the Dead and face a boss gauntlet and get the sealed ultimate power weapons at the very bottom.

But, you turn around make your way up to the surface (saving is recommended) and make your way back up the tower, find your way into an inescapable doomed dimension in space, and face yet another boss gauntlet, where the difficulty just spikes until you get to the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
FF3PR BRD is good, but it's not really a gamebreaker; it's true that FF3 is a puzzle/comp RPG whose answer is usually "AoE heals", and it's true that Paeon supplies those, but it's also a level-scaler that doesn't really catch up until the game is already broken. Plus, whatever happened with the job system in dev meant that RDM was the only mage line that actually got an endgame tier, not even necessarily its planned endgame tier, so you're expected to weave heals and damage, FF14-style, which it can't do.

3D bonus content is restricted to a single arena where you fight a superboss.

Either NES or PR is fine for it, the spellweaving and the particular job restrictions of the endgame weapons mean that you're still going to want to go heavily into the two tier-3s that actually exist so the job rebalance is basically just "characters gain HP at level up even if they're a pre-endgame caster". That does make things easier, since the failstate in most encounters is your support getting pasted by a stray shot.
3D is probably something to avoid, "jobs are no longer strictly tiered" was implemented by a scaling buff based on how long you've been in a job and a single exclusive endgame weapon if you max that out, but everyone has passive dualwield so the only jobs this really saves are Warrior and Thief, and them only because they also got access to single examples of the existing gear--and in the meantime, you don't have the scaling buff and kind of stall out both if you actually want to upgrade and when doing one of the "we expect you to try out this new job" segments (forced DRK for its unique damage type, forced BLM for forced Mini, forced DRG for a particular boss whose AoE is deliberately scaled higher than the heals you have yet + has piercing weakness, forced SCH for the physical-resistant barrier-shifter.) Also, DS tech limitations mean that most random encounters are now minibosses; it could only render three monsters at a time so they're buffed to be worth 1-3 of the original in a way that's mostly fair with HP, but not as fair with damage-per-hit and can be absolutely unfair with focus fire (again, "support gets pasted" is what you want to avoid but because it's a single attack action there's a 1/16 that two Steroids Imps decide to do 4-6 original hits worth of damage to your WHM rather than the 1/256~1/4096 four to six normal imps all decide to go for them.)

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 3, 2023