Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This thread is for posting about the games you’ve played that made a really strong impression on you, but which nobody else played. Games that are a 9/10 or 10/10 in your heart, which you’d love to gush and gush about--but when you do post about them, nobody replies. This thread is the last refuge to share your joy for games whose joy would otherwise go unshared.

Thread rules/suggestions:
  • Try to stick to relatively obscure games. This is a bit fuzzy, but if you can go into a thread and post about it and get a dozen people going “yeah! that owns!” then this isn’t the right thread for it. I don’t want to hear about how good Undertale or Final Fantasy XIV or The Last of Us is.
  • Try to effortpost--at least a paragraph or two when introducing a new game. By the nature of the game you’re posting about, almost nobody reading your post will have played it. Post enough words to communicate the happiness it brings you, even to people who haven’t heard of it before. Feel free to take on a normal, conversational tone in the discussion following up from the effortposts, though.
  • Posting some screenshots or gifs will go a long way to making people stop and take notice of your post, and are fun to look at. Why not include a few?
  • If someone convinces you to play a game in this thread, please follow up and post your thoughts about it! I cannot imagine a better outcome for this thread than it receiving liveposts about the games people posted here because nobody else was playing them.
  • Absolutely do not, under any circumstance, answer an effortpost with “actually that game sucks.” I’m begging you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I’ll go ahead and get started with

Ar Tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica
(Specifically, the Project Metafalica fan re-translation)

Ar Tonelico 1 was a bit of an odd game. It lived in three worlds at once. It was trying to be an emotional story about trauma and healing, a kick-rear end sci-fi world with a bunch of really cool plot beats and settings ideas, and also a horny game for perverts.

Ar Tonelico 2 decided that it was going to be, first and foremost, an emotional game. Its central thesis is “when two people really, truly make an honest effort to understand each other, they can come together, no matter how impossible that seems at first.” The sci-fi setting is the same, and just as cool, but is less of a focus. It’s still a little horny, but not all that much. Unfortunately, the localization was rushed and low quality. I’m sure the translators could have produced something good, given the time, but so little time was spent in QA that the game infamously crashes on turn 3 of a specific late-game boss 100% of the time, and the only solution is to beat the boss before them. It also made the unfortunate decision that, since the first game was primarily marketed toward the pervert audience, the second game had to be as well--and so the translated text emphasized, heightened, and added horny dialogue all over the place. The fan re-translation I linked above fixes all of that. I know that the phrase “fan re-translation” usually brings to mind people tediously “correcting” translations that are completely fine to begin with, but in this case it really isn’t. The people behind this one identified a work in real need of a second pass, and gave it a good one.

Ar Tonelico 2 is a JRPG for the PS2. The combat system is engaging, alternating between flashy attack combos and timed defensive parries, while you build up to a massive attack with your spellcasters. It’s pretty fun. Definitely inoffensive enough to not get in the way of your enjoyment of the story, unless you hate JRPGs.

https://i.imgur.com/w0lR3vY.mp4

The setting is quite unique. All of this is presented as big twists in the first game, but is assumed setting knowledge in the second, dumped on the player without fanfare. Hundreds of years ago, the earth became unlivable, and humanity built giant towers, reaching all the way up to space, clinging to the narrow band of habitability between the poisoned planet and outer space. The technology used to create these towers has been long-forgotten, and the admin commands to their computers are passed down as magic spells, usable by the descendants of the people originally given admin access, in the form of songs sung to the tower.

(This paragraph is moderate spoilers. Skip it if I’ve already convinced you to play the game). Ar Tonelico 2 is not set on one of those towers, precisely, but on a flying drone used in their construction. The cramped living space, and land never designed for permanent habitation, are constant points of friction, driving all the conflict and human ugliness depicted onscreen. There is a solution: re-activating the drone for its barely-remembered and poorly-understood original purpose to create more land. The process for this involves a mind link between a thousand mages providing the energy for it, one to combine and channel their powers, and one last one to use their combined efforts to override the long-sleeping administrator of the drone and turn it back on.

Every step of this process harkens back to the same human question. Can the two linchpins of the operation--a princess and a (metaphorical) prostitute--really come to understand and trust each other enough to work in such perfect harmony? Can everyone linked with them accept their hearts laid bare, even with all the flaws and ugliness inherent in all people? Can the world stop fighting and squabbling long enough to let it happen--even if it ultimately requires large sacrifices along the way? It explores and answers all of these questions powerfully, culminating in one of the most moving sequences I’ve ever seen in a video game, which you can see (devoid of the emotional context) in the video clip above.

As you might imagine in a work where the spells are songs, the soundtrack is absolutely incredible. Here’s a small selection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftzdJhz9DlYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UwIP-gsHHYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGHBh_lbAuE

There’s more that I could say, but I think I’m pushing the limits of what anybody would read, already, and I’ve hit everything important.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

actually that game sucks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ok i read it now good post

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i remember you liveposting about that game and it sounded really cool!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ur post on AT2 was cool cheetah!! idk much about it except that sometimes people bring it up, and sometimes they say its horny also

im surprised tho, did the og tl really add horny dialogues??

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah, I think so. Like, the game in Japanese isn't devoid of horn, but it isn't really about it either. But the translation hyped it all up because they were trying to sell to perverts, which were the primary audience for the first game. Browsing through some of the re-translation examples on the project page:

quote:

Cloche:
JP: で、でも、サイズが合わなくて着れなかったのよ。
EN: But, it was too small at the chest. I had to give up...
NEW: B-but the size was all wrong and I couldn't wear it...

Deciding that the wrong fit on the outfit was because of her boobs

quote:

JP::そなたは、そなたの持つ心の全てをクロアに預け、嘘偽りない己を、彼に捧げてきた事を誓いますか?
EN: Do you pledge here today that you have given your all to Croix and showed him everything with no lies?
NEW: Do you vow that you have offered your heart, truly and sincerely, to Croix?

Adding a double-entendre to a line that's more about intimacy.

I'm not going to pretend that there's nothing sexual in the game--it is a game about intimacy, after all, and sex is part of that, though it's all kept PG-13. Characters discuss what appeals to them (in terms of like, outfits and such). There's a gameplay construct that allows you to dive into a person's mind, which is used in the story-telling to achieve emotional intimacy, but there's some jokes treating it like a sex metaphor. But none of that is really the point. At least in the re-translation.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ECHO is the story of En, the prodigal daughter of a bizarre and shadowy space cult whose disciples spend their whole lives training for the mythical Palace: an immense labyrinth that guards the way to the promised land. Somehow she has found the actual location of the Palace and escaped the cult with the aid of a man called Foster, an adventurer with a starship the size of Manhattan Island. Foster died in the act, the horrid machinery of the cult "translating" his mind and body onto a loving glass cube...but the Palace promises eternal life. So En has spent a century in stasis aboard Foster's ship, journeying to the Palace in hopes of resurrecting Foster and repaying the debt she feels she owes him.

En and London, the ship's universe-weary AI, arrive at the planet-sized structure of the Palace and find a way inside to discover a maze of extravagantly opulent halls and sweeping galleries, in total darkness. En finds the altar where the translated cubes go, just like the cult taught her. She sets Foster in place and reactivates the Palace.

This goes swimmingly for all concerned.

The reawakened Palace begins to flood its halls with "echoes," murderous duplicates who mimic En's behavior and track her relentlessly. Some people might see this as the right time to gently caress off but En didn't spend a hundred years traveling across the entirety of space because she gives up easily...and the Palace, or perhaps Foster's cube, is feeding directions to the HUD in her suit.

So now she must travel miles into the very heart of this abandoned superstructure, braving all of its deathtraps, with no aid but a bitter computer's voice in her ear and the weight of a cube her only companion...waaaaaait a minute

In any case, En's only hope is that the cult wasn't full of poo poo after all and she really is walking the path to salvation.

ECHO probably looks and sounds just like a stealth game but it's...not, exactly. The Palace will quickly respawn any echoes you kill, so you can't just crouch-walk everywhere and snap all the necks and call it a day like usual; if you try to play it that way you will get frustrated and give up. Avoiding detection is important but the real key is the echoes' ability to "echo" En's actions.

By default echoes aren't capable of much beyond "run" and "choke," but the Palace records just about every action En can take--opening doors, using elevators, vaulting over railings, crouching behind cover--and will impart these behaviors to all the echoes as part of its artificial, accelerated day-night cycle. For this reason, firing your handgun or sprinting more than a few paces while the lights are on is incredibly dangerous, not just because it gets you noticed but because all the echoes will be gunning for you during the next cycle. This mimicry is a double-edged sword, though, and you can use it to manipulate the echoes. If you need to cross a guarded hallway lined with elevators, for example, using an elevator yourself will alter the echoes' patrol patterns and give you better windows to sneak past. You can also escape pursuit by taking a path the echoes don't know how to take--although the same trick won't work twice. The lights will shut off after a little while as well, along with the recording system, and if you feel the need to go loud then the nighttime is the right time.

I loved ECHO. There's just something about En and London's acerbic frenemyship, the only-hinted-at details of their predicament, and the setting's impossible technological grandeur that I found incredibly compelling.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 2, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hwurmp posted:

By default echoes aren't capable of much beyond "run" and "choke," but the Palace records just about every action En can take--opening doors, using elevators, vaulting over railings, crouching behind cover--and will impart these behaviors to all the echoes as part of its artificial, accelerated day-night cycle. For this reason, firing your handgun or sprinting more than a few paces while the lights are on is incredibly dangerous, not just because it gets you noticed but because all the echoes will be gunning for you during the next cycle. This mimicry is also your best weapon, though. If you need to cross a guarded hallway lined with elevators, for example, using an elevator yourself will alter the echoes' patrol patterns and give you better windows to sneak past. The lights, along with the recording system, also shut off after a little while, and if you feel the need to go loud then the nighttime is the right time.

dang that sounds insanely cool!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is cool as gently caress

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

echo has been on my wishlist for a while glad to hear its worthy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm trying to think of good games I haven't previously posted a bunch about, or seen other goons post about, and it's haaaard

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Yggdra Union is a strategy game initially for the GBA, with an enhanced port for PSP, which also got ported to the Switch (JP only). It seems very well received for those who know the game, but I think it's very much a cult classic.

It drops you into a top-down grid of the map. Normal stuff - blue dudes, red dudes, maybe even green or yellow dudes. Sometimes your goal is to defeat a specific target, but other times it's to reach a specific town or even just explore the map. You've got various foot-troops, some mounted knights, maybe an Undine (mermaid). They all have different weapons, and have different traversal options. You've seen it.

But then it has a plethora of different mechanics that all interact - first, what you can do on a turn is decided by the card you pick. This changes your movement availability, as well what ability you can use in combat. You got something like Steal,

which is incredibly high movement, and lets one specific character steal while in battle.

Shield Barrier on the other hand, has half the steps as Steal, but can grant any single character limited invulnerability in battle - it's incredibly flexible.

Once the card is picked, you can use as much available movement to get into position, and positioning, or Unions, are a titular and important mechanic.

While you only get one attack per turn, just as your opponent, the formations you and your enemy are in will bring in extra units for the attack. Pretty simply, anyone 1-2 squares away horizontally/vertically to a female unit will join the battle, or equidistant diagonally to a male character will join. This works as an attacker or defender, so having a good defensive position is as important as forming a strong offensive union.

Once battle is joined, the combat will proceed through different phases - charge, counter, and sortie.

Different effects can come into play here, but the majority of your time will be spent in the sortie phase, and you'll watch both sides trading blows, and routing the enemy soldiers until only the two heads, or leaders remain. Basic effectiveness is based on a fire-emblem like weapon triangle, but class compatibilities, special items, cards, and more can rapidly shift or overpower any of these effects. During this time you can also choose passive or aggressive tactics, as well as unleash your card skills depending on if your leader and union requirements are met. These range from the aforementioned steal and shield barrier, to various elemental attack effects, summoning temporary units, defeating specific units in combat, affecting battle stats or effectiveness, or straight up winning the battle.

And that's where more fun comes in. Units don't have a traditional heal meter, and instead rely on morale.

If you win the fight, you don't lose any morale, plain and simple. It doesn't matter how knife's edge that victory was. However, the amount of morale the defeated side loses is based on what happened in that combat - overall strength variations, surviving units, card effects, terrain effects, etc. Certain levels are based on doing swift, specific defeats on certain units, and they're prepared with high defensive stats and well defended terrain. If your characters run out, in general they'll retreat with an exp penalty. Your main characters retreating means game over. Managing the morale is also important, because it doesn't naturally regenerate (except on the new easy mode). This leads into another big part of the game.

Items in game can be given to people for morale recovery. Some, like the medallion, are a basic restorative. Others, like a fancy sword, are well sought after by swordsmen, and maybe thieves who could pawn it off, but aren't too exciting for the wizards and the like. But using it for morale restoration means you can't use it in battle, and many equipable items are extremely powerful in battle.

Some will let you instantly win any one on one encounter. Some will make you immune to, or vulnerable to certain attacks or unit types. There's an incredible amount of utility they can bring, and nearly all of them have positive and negative effects on your base stats as well. They're also restricted as to who can use them, which brings a lot of subtle, or not so subtle, development to characters. Item management is also one of the key aspects of the gameloop too, as you mostly need to find them while on the battle map - using up precious movement to explore.

And the game's presentation is loving phenomenal. Everything, from unleashing card skills, events happening on the battle map, everything about combat, and so forth, is presented with bombast and flare.

It's got great style, an awesome soundtrack, and everything is animated and vibrant. There is a sequel to the game, Blaze Union, and a spinoff with the same engine, Gloria Union, but they never made their way stateside to my dismay. Either way, this game rules, and if you like strategy games you owe it to yourself to play through.

My secret shame is my tattoo from this dumb game.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 2, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Murder by Numbers is a picross murder mystery visual novel by the developers of Fall Guys and the publishers of PC Building Simulator.

Hollywood actress Honor Mizrahi wraps up a grueling re-shoot for her successful detective show, only to be fired for no apparent reason. Then out in the parking lot she meets an amnesiac AI named SCOUT who says he needs her help.

Then the director who'd just fired her turns up dead, and the LAPD locks her in the studio breakroom as a suspect.

Not a great day, all in all. But Honor is brave, resourceful, determined to make things right, and most importantly she has an analytic robot buddy to do all the real work. She may not be a detective...but she plays one on TV.

The gameplay is picross. You loving know what picross is. Solve the picross to get a Clue, which you then rub against everyone's faces until they break down and confess where they stashed the next picross. I do have one tiny little beef here: puzzles in progress are black & white, but the completed images are full color so some of them look absolutely nothing alike. :spergin: Whatever, it's still picross and picross is good.

The main story has four chapters with about one or two dozen puzzles apiece, along with some "minigame" sequences of timed 5x5 puzzles. Then there are the SCOUT's Memories backstory sections with another five dozen puzzles in all.

You'll see a whole lot of Ace Attorney influence in the VN segments--the art, the humor, the colorful cast, the way Honor carefully breaks down her suspects' alibis. You might also sense some in the soundtrack by Masakazu Sugimori, who happens to be composer of the Phoenix Wright soundtrack as well as Viewtiful Joe, Vanquish, and Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Murder by Numbers is absolutely packed with bops. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvWGBBLYYfg

It's a great story. The twists will probably not floor you but the entire cast's chemistry is strong throughout, SCOUT is precious, there's an absolutely glorious if brief heel-to-face turn in the second case, and if Horizon Zero Dawn didn't exist everyone who says "gently caress Ted Faro" would be saying "gently caress Ryan Blackstock" instead.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hwurmp posted:

Murder by Numbers is a picross murder mystery visual novel by the developers of Fall Guys and the publishers of PC Building Simulator.

lol

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Hwurmp posted:

ECHO is the story of En, the prodigal daughter of a bizarre and shadowy space cult whose disciples spend their whole lives training for the mythical Palace: an immense labyrinth that guards the way to the promised land.

I totally forgot that this game existed, but remember thinking the concept was cool when it first came out. Will have to give it a shot, it still sounds like such a crazily ambitious set of mechanics.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

no really

tildes posted:

I totally forgot that this game existed, but remember thinking the concept was cool when it first came out. Will have to give it a shot, it still sounds like such a crazily ambitious set of mechanics.

I do feel like ECHO's presentation is a bit more ambitious than its mechanics at the end of the day but I still enjoyed it a lot.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Yggdra Union is always one of those games i've really meant to get off my rear end and play

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hwurmp posted:

Hollywood actress Honor Mizrahi wraps up a grueling re-shoot for her successful detective show, only to be fired for no apparent reason. Then out in the parking lot she meets an amnesiac AI named SCOUT who says he needs her help.

I was surprised at how...not childlike the story was. That's not the right description, but anyway. It's goofy and dumb, but also has some stuff in it you never see in similar contexts - one of the first thing that happens in the robot discovering a tampon in the main character's purse, and it's played for laughs because robot dumb but also it made me wonder if I've ever seen mention of a tampon in a video game, like, ever.

My game is Zanki Zero. It's a game where people wake up on an island and realize that they are the only ones there, they age at a frightening pace (like, from baby to old person in 5 days before death), and also they are clones and can be repeatedly re-cloned. Except for one girl, who is a clone, but doesn't age. They need to figure out what's going on.

It's a first-person dungeon exploration game where you characters get stronger whenever they die in new ways - getting killed by different enemies, different traps, different types of damage, different attacks from the same boss, etc this all makes them stronger so you want to find new ways to die and then bring people back. It's a weird game with a weird story, but there was something about its mechanics that I really enjoyed, and it had an ending that stuck with me, likely will mean I won't forget the game anytime soon.

(obvious spoilers, but years after defeating the big bad, the cloning machine breaks. And the girl who doesn't age rapidly is forced to count down slowly as everyone she's cared about for so long dies rapidly around her. The last conversations of the game are her saying goodbye to all the characters, one by one, as she counts down what may be the last people left on earth, before she's left all alone and forced to move on and leave her home. I dunno, it just got to me.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

One of my favorite games that nobody knows about is Live-a-Live on Super Nintendo, but since I can't really talk about why I love it without spoiling the entire point of playing it, I'm instead going to make this post about,

SAGA 3 - JIKKU NO HASHA: SHADOW OR LIGHT

This is the 2011 remake of SaGa 3 - Jikku no Hasha, otherwise known as Final Fantasy Legend 3, an RPG released on the original Game Boy in 1991. How much could have possibly changed in twenty years? As it turns out, quite a bit.

One of the reasons that even among fans of the already divisive SaGa series that the third game was looked down upon was its dabbling in traditional RPG mechanics. The SaGa series can be seen as a branch off the Final Fantasy series, especially Final Fantasy II where your actions determined the stats you gained after battle, rather than traditionally leveling up. However, SaGa 3’s original release did not have this system - this was apparently due to it being developed by the same team behind Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. The two games share some blood, many monster designs were shared and the overworld map including jumping puzzles is definitely proof.

However, we’re talking about the remake on DS. One of the most major changes is that, well, it’s actually a SaGa game this time. Characters level up by performing actions in battle. Swinging a sword could increase your HP, it could increase your Strength, or it could increase your Sword Mastery. Or it could unlock a new technique to use with the weapon if your mastery is high enough. It’s a similar system as used in the Romancing SaGa trilogy. In addition, the barebones plot of the original Game Boy game is fleshed out immensely. In the original game, half of your party members didn’t even have any lines of dialogue! For better or worse there’s a lot more personal involvement with the story, though in my experience it’s mostly an improvement.

There are a lot of little changes that come with the territory of a complete gameplay overhaul, but some other things that are different include an on-rails world map with distinct locations to explore, rather than it being fully explorable. There are a multitude of sidequests built into the story, some involving random NPCs and some furthering the backstories of important characters. These sidequests tend to have alternate endings and solutions with different rewards based on the decisions you make (or are even able to make) during them. There’s also a brand new secret final boss, if you meet the correct conditions.

One thing this game does not have, however, is an official release in English. There was a fan translation made by Cain’s Domain, which has incidentally disappeared from the face of the internet. Not to toot my own horn, but I assisted in the playtesting and development of this translation, due to my own perhaps unhealthy obsession with this game. It’s mostly because I owned Final Fantasy Legend 3 growing up and I couldn’t believe that this underlooked RPG was getting the love I felt like it deserved.

RPG battles function using weapons and spells with durability as you fight enemies. As you learn abilities of higher tiers, they use more durability from the item, which can be repaired at towns and cities for a portion of what it would cost to buy the item outright. Characters learn abilities by mastering weapons and types of magic, which they do by using them repeatedly. However, certain classes of character are more suited to using particular types of abilities. Two of the characters are "humans" by default, which means they're good with weapons, especially swords and katanas, while the other two are "espers" (also known as humans with less clothing) which are good at using magic, as well as daggers and bows.

Characters can change class by eating the meat or installing the parts of organic and inorganic enemies, respectively. A piece of meat will make a character into a Beastman, which are good at using their bare fists and spears, while a further one will turn them into a monster, AKA the literal monsters you fight in the game, upsides and downsides and all. Going in the other direction, parts will make a character into a Cyborg, which are good at using heavy weapons like Greatswords and Axes, and who also gain a certain amount of stats based on what they have equipped (for example, wearing daggers might increase their agility). Another set of parts will make the characters completely mechanized, which not only looks adorable but also further pushes them into being what they wear - they can equip any piece of equipment into any slot of their armor, which gives them insane stat boosts, but at the cost of always using twice the durability on weapons. They prefer firearms and heavy artillery.

But that's not the only way you can customize your characters. You see, each character has an associated element from the four classical types (Fire Water Earth Wind), and so do enemies. If a character eats meat or installs parts of the same element as them, they won't change form, but will instead gain one of the monster's passive abilities to add to their own list of six. In this way you can hunt down skills that make your characters stronger than they have any right to be, but you can also sometimes inherit a monster's elemental weakness or a passive that makes them less accurate, so it's a weighted risk with some consequences.

Battles are round-based with all your selections made before a round of combat begins, but also you can see the turn-order of your allies and the enemies on the field at the top. Certain actions influence order, and if your characters are able to act sequentially you'll get combo bonuses that boost your damage, especially if using more powerful skills. Enemies can take advantage of combos as well, so it can sometimes be advantageous to try and put your order in the middle of the enemy's turns. The main gimmick of the game is the Gears of Time, the artifact the main character is dutifully holding in the key art above. It builds up charges over time that can be expended in battle to do various things, like duplicate a party member's actions, launch an attack equal in power to what's already happened, or call forward a future version of an ally to act in a random way. It can also be used outside of battle to freeze time so enemies won't chase you.

The plot of this game is ultimately simple. It's a time-travel based game. You and your friends are sent from a ruined future where a magic faucet is dumping water into the world and flooding it over time, and you need to figure out how to stop it. Your time travel device, besides the Gears of Time which has limited short burst capabilities, is the dimentional ship Stethelos, which can go set amounts into the Past and Future, if only it had the right parts! So the main goal is to find its parts in order to enable its functionality and use it to save the world. It gets more complicated than that, obviously, but the main thing about this remake is, again, the fleshing out of character motivations, deeper plotlines, and the sidequests that deepen relationships that already existed.

It's hard for me to really effectively talk about this game since it is so obscure, but I would highly recommend checking it out. It's not too difficult, it's really fun, it's got plenty of heart and love put into it... probably my favorite game on DS, somehow.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yggdra Union is a strategy game initially for the GBA, with an enhanced port for PSP, which also got ported to the Switch.

It's really a shame that the Switch version is Japanese only. It seems like it'd be easy to just reuse the existing English script, though I guess Atlus USA isn't supporting developers like Sting much anymore.

It was a pretty cool game. Lining up and doing a big union attack never got old especially with the stylish presentation. Although I felt like the morale never recovering between missions combined with the rarity of the items that restore it was a bit too strict.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

i just found out about this game and am definitely going to play it, thanks!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Snare for the Commodore64

The C64 was my first games machine that I owned that I did not share with anyone. It came with 8 games spread across two packs, the Mindbenders and the Night Moves pack. Snare was from the Mindbenders pack and I can still, to this day, vividly remember reading the manual. Loading games on the C64 was tough for me at the time as I was still used to the NES. Typing stuff and tapes not working happened so much but Snare was one of the few games I had that did not seem to have an issue.

The game itself was hard. Extremely. This was the C64 so no smooth motion on what is essentially a top down (think GTA1) driving game. The story goes thusly:

There was a supermely rich dude who knew he was dying. Before he did, he built a huge and complex labyrinth and hid inside it with his entire fortune inside. He set up a challenge that whoever gets through the whole maze full of traps and reaches the end gets his entire fortune. The labyrinth is called The Snare and you are one such fortune hunter after that fortune!

(Basically I think Ernest Cline might have played this game)

Being 12 years old at the time, this story was such a tremendous grab for me. I still think of it as one of the best backstories to a game ever. The levels to the labyrinth started off tough and just got tougher. Rotating the screen was tricky to deal with because it was instant and if you were travelling fast you had to remember the layout. There were drops, robots, walls and all sorts of things impeding progress and even though I loved it I was never good enough to beat it. It was just enough for me to imagine what those riches were at the end.

The music kicks and the game is by Thalamus, one of the C64's best developers.

I have often thought about trying it again, but I have such fond memories that I do not want to blot them. I think it would be perfect for a modern version. The backstory is, like I say, such an incredible starting point and making a top down labyrinth game with modern controls would suit it wonderfully. Maybe you could even make it roguelike and have The Snare change upon every entrant who goes in.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I played three quarters of Yggdra Union last year and enjoyed it. Maybe I should finish it. I don't think I got terribly into the story but the gameplay was fun.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Good thread Cheetah, and cool picks everyone. I'll have to think long and hard to decide if there's such a game for me, but if there is I haven't played it in the past few years

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

despite not looking like the ship in the showo this ship makes me think of classic program "aquila"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i liked that show, though before this moment i never thought of it as a classic (cause i forgot im old)

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Hmmm... I can think of a few games, but some of them will be kind of challenging to get running again. Of the old AD&D computer games, Shattered Lands and Genie's Curse definitely had a big impact on me. Armies of Exigo was the first RTS I didn't use cheats to get through the campaign, and of course I can probably sing the praises of a number of RPG Maker titles. It's kinda tricky, because there's a lot of games that show up in discussion regularly or already got an LP on Something Awful. Neverwinter Nights had some fantastic modules, and those do tend to be pretty obscure outside of a few youtube channels.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I left the definition of obscure fuzzy intentionally. Post what's in your heart

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

beer gas canister posted:

i just found out about this game and am definitely going to play it, thanks!

I hope you enjoy it when you get to it. It's got a unique feel as far as how all the intermeshed mechanics interact, but nothing feels better than meticulously setting up positioning, cards, and battle order just to have a clean sweep and wiping a huge chunk of the board.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

nice thread op

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

thanks op

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I bought Echo when it first came out and really liked where it was going with the mechanic but I just couldn't get through gradual progression of it all to see the endgame. Eventually I think it just got lost among other new releases. Really cool concept and art though, extremely surreal. Anyone who enjoys niche AA sci-fi games should give it a whirl.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Bomberman 64? Did anyone play that. They probably did

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Play posted:

I did, so I'd love even more to hear about why/how it had an impact on you.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Play posted:

I only rented it and didn't own a copy, but it's really cool how there's basically a whole puzzle platformer hidden behind the basic mechanics. I remember watching the credits and being absolutely blown away as it showed off some of the advanced tricks you can do with bouncing off bombs (that are bouncing off other bombs, that are bouncing off other bombs). An entirely different way to approach every level, hidden in plain sight.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mode 7 posted:

I did, so I'd love even more to hear about why/how it had an impact on you.

Ooof, pressure's on now! Well really I guess it was just one of the few games I had in the world, I played it a lot with my brother and my friends and it gets really exciting with all the bombs and people start squealing, it was a really good time. For some reason we named all the guys and we called the red guy Red Herring even though I don't think we even knew what that meant since we ended up calling the blue guy Blue Herring.

Snake Maze posted:

I only rented it and didn't own a copy, but it's really cool how there's basically a whole puzzle platformer hidden behind the basic mechanics. I remember watching the credits and being absolutely blown away as it showed off some of the advanced tricks you can do with bouncing off bombs (that are bouncing off other bombs, that are bouncing off other bombs). An entirely different way to approach every level, hidden in plain sight.

Yeah suffice to say we did not know of any of that we just kicked a bunch of bombs around semi-blindly trying to kill the AI and each other.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snake Maze posted:

They were also more or less mandatory to get all the gold cards

That game's multiplayer is the best Bomberman's ever been

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bomberman 64 had a pretty drat nice soundtrack made by a dude who I don't think did much else before or afterwards. Been a while since I looked it up, admittedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

There was a very rare sequel to Bomberman 64 called The Second Attack that hardly anyone has played or even knows about despite its predecessor's relative fame. It improves upon the first in basically every way with branching story paths, an extremely rad elemental stone system that let you use all sorts different elemental bombs, and a surprisingly heady plot full of like, biblical allegories and poo poo.
The real standout part is the soundtrack though which is somehow even better than the original's and is legitimately one of the best soundtracks to any game I've ever played. There's a scene late in the game where the incarnation of God suddenly heel-turns on you for your elemental stones and the music is timed in such a way that the song fully kicks in just exactly when they make their declaration; I was actually amazed that Bomberman of all things was actually wow-ing me with its story and composition :stare: