Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaimioGor
Feb 1, 2022
Hello everyone, I am curious to see what your guys` favorite games are. It can be for nostalgia reasons or any reason you want. My favorite game is Bioshock, I think I like Bioshock so much because of the art style and story. I remember the first time I played it back in 2007 I was in shock, I couldn't believe how good of a game it was. Another one of my favorite games is Half-Life and I thinks that's because it has been in my life since I was a very small child. Anyways, I am excited to see what you guys have to say. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Its hard to pick a favorite game tbh. If you asked me what game I remember with the most fondness it would be Xenogears.

But my favorite game to play is probably Titanfall 2 now.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The game I keep coming back to again and again is Fallout: New Vegas
faffing about installing and adjusting mods is half of the experience!

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and only partly because it's a game I played when I was 9. It doesn't quite hold up as much as it used to now I'm an adult, but I still enjoy playing it a lot and like many loud obnoxious people on the internet I will be forever mad they never made another Paper Mario like it. Even without all the visual charm and goofy humour, "small numbers RPG" is a really good concept, I never liked big numbers for the sake of big numbers in videogames.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Without a doubt, Bryan Reynolds Alpha Centauri .

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

midnight lasagna posted:

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and only partly because it's a game I played when I was 9. It doesn't quite hold up as much as it used to now I'm an adult, but I still enjoy playing it a lot and like many loud obnoxious people on the internet I will be forever mad they never made another Paper Mario like it. Even without all the visual charm and goofy humour, "small numbers RPG" is a really good concept, I never liked big numbers for the sake of big numbers in videogames.

It is a testament to the quality of that game that I would also count it as one of my favourites, perhaps even my absolute favourite, despite Chapter 4

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Probably Kerbal Space Program, followed closely by Master of Orion 2 although I haven't played in years and years. I have thousands of hours into War Thunder, but it absolutely is NOT my favorite game of all time.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Master of Orion 2...just played it today.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
dark souls

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's really hard to choose. Of my life, it's probably Earthbound. With my friends as kids it was Melee. Right now it's Bloodborne. Soon it will be Elden Ring probably

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Umihara kawase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

boring answer:

SotN is my GOAT. Amidst all of its flaws, it remains a perfect video game. It's just fun to explore, chill, fight and collect items. We all know the meme, but all the dialogue is so-bad-it's-good, campy fun in that vein. And that's great fun! There are a trove of mechanics from their everything but the kitchen sink approach; like a Mel Brooks comedic approach, they kept throwing poo poo in and some stuck. Some didn't. While not balanced - they lend to fun combinations and playstyles available from the dozens of interesting, unique and sometimes rare drops from enemies. The movement has an optional technicality between the shield dashing, dive kicks, gravity boots and wing smashes that make zooming through the castle a treat.

Also, that loving soundtrack!

And while they pulled from old assets, there is an impressive variety of enemies rendered in lovingly stylistic pixel art, and sometimes primitive ps1 3d that still works. Every room and area feels unique and a labor of love. There are so many little details that didn't need to exist, like the cathedral confession booth and the bird nesting at the bottom of the tower. And crazy poo poo, like Alucard's starting stats dependent on how well you do in the intro Dracula fight. Familiars and secrets, transformations and spells, cool exploits and glitches - SotN has it all. I love this game.

My goats by genre, in less words:

FPS: Doom
JRPG: Persona 4 Golden
MMO: Everquest (up to Scars of Velious)
VN: The House in Fata Morgana
Fighting Game: KOF98
Dead Genre: Grim Fandango
Monster Hunter: Rise