Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
That gacha animation is slightly more annoying once you notice that they didn't actually model more than one engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
So I managed to finally snag a PS5 at msrp and will be picking up a copy of this game shortly.

Enter my recently retired father who is a car/racing nut but never really played many games. He's dead set on wanting a wheel/pedals/shifter/stand for this and won't use a controller. To my surprise he told me to figure out what to buy and gave me a budget of $750 to do it. So Goons, what's the best setup I can swing for a budget of $750? I'm also willing to toss a few bucks in if for example an extra 50-100 gets us something much better, etc.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just get the fanatec DD pro - made for fhe game - although i have a playseat challenge and logitech g29 which i love and is way under your budget.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Re: AFK roulette ticket farming

It’s by far the fastest afk method. I’ve been running it for 17 hours and made 18 mil. Plus random cars, including some VGTs and a bunch of Gr.3/4 stuff. Could be even more had it not somehow gotten stuck before I went to bed

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Re: AFK roulette ticket farming

It’s by far the fastest afk method. I’ve been running it for 17 hours and made 18 mil. Plus random cars, including some VGTs and a bunch of Gr.3/4 stuff. Could be even more had it not somehow gotten stuck before I went to bed

I wish I had a PC for stuff like this 😪

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Explain me something like I'm five. I'm going through Gran Turismo 6 and, so far, all the Novice and early International races have been fairly easy, which is fine, except for one: the first Jr Kart event, the middle race. You start at pos 4/6, there's two laps, circuit is fairly short. I cannot beat this one. I always end up second place +0.400 / + 0.500s before the first place.

And the problem seems to be the start up sequence. For most races so far, your car's already running, but not this one, you have to start it from zero. And I clearly am doing something wrong, because no matter what I try, I don't seem to get enough speed at the start, the first three racers get a big advantage to the point I only get out pos 4 during the second lap (way too late by then) and, more obviously, the fifth pos overtakes me in the first few seconds of the race.

I have checked every tutorial before and I have even looked over Gamefaqs and Youtube to figure out what I'm missing out on. There's nothing about how to get enough speed at the start other than "use manual transmission", except the karts don't seem to have that as a setting.

How do I launch fast and get as much speed as the other racers when starting from 0?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Explain me something like I'm five. I'm going through Gran Turismo 6 and, so far, all the Novice and early International races have been fairly easy, which is fine, except for one: the first Jr Kart event, the middle race. You start at pos 4/6, there's two laps, circuit is fairly short. I cannot beat this one. I always end up second place +0.400 / + 0.500s before the first place.

And the problem seems to be the start up sequence. For most races so far, your car's already running, but not this one, you have to start it from zero. And I clearly am doing something wrong, because no matter what I try, I don't seem to get enough speed at the start, the first three racers get a big advantage to the point I only get out pos 4 during the second lap (way too late by then) and, more obviously, the fifth pos overtakes me in the first few seconds of the race.

I have checked every tutorial before and I have even looked over Gamefaqs and Youtube to figure out what I'm missing out on. There's nothing about how to get enough speed at the start other than "use manual transmission", except the karts don't seem to have that as a setting.

How do I launch fast and get as much speed as the other racers when starting from 0?

I don't remember what your customization options are for the non-shifter karts, but if you can get a custom transmission (or just change the final drive ratio by default), you want to set that to a bigger number for better acceleration or a smaller number for a higher top speed. That'll take some experimentation to figure out what the absolute minimum top speed you need is, but that's generally the key to better times, but especially so in something you can't just add power to.

But in general for karting if you're not able to keep up/beat people, you're braking too much. And if you have to brake that much to make turns then your line is wrong. The acceleration in those is what it is, so you basically have to rely on preserving momentum instead of relying on power. If you can slow down enough by just letting up on the throttle, that'll be better than actually braking.

I also did see some threads on gt planet advocating messing with ballast (generally to the rear) to stabilize the kart under braking, but generally if you're spinning those it's because you were too rough on the throttle/brake.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Karts are a whole different beast than cars. I may have cheesed some of them whenever possible

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Karts are a whole different beast than cars. I may have cheesed some of them whenever possible

I appreciate them as a 'fundamentals of racing technique'/little league sort of thing, but I am also incredibly grateful gt7 has not forced me into one [yet].

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
For my bit, I got my fill of that flavor from the Kei car recipe book

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
So I can't stand the new 360 chase cam; I want to be able to use R3 to get an instant reverse view, and instead it's a slow rolling move around the car that's nauseating as hell. Is there a way to disable it entirely? I don't see one, and increasing the sensitivity doesn't seem to do much to increase the speed of the camera. I've found it better in the interim to just shuffle through camera views and use the rearview mirror (which should be enabled on the chase cam, but whatever).

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
You can just rebind look back to R3 and move nitrous/overtake to L1

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Yeah, that works. I'd much rather have R3 down as the look behind, but you can't set it that way in the options :sigh:

Nobody needs this dumb 360 camera. Just use replays and scapes if you want cool camera angles and stop loving with my muscle memory.

e: Also, what is the consensus on the best strategy for the Gr.1 menu race at Suzuka? Running the SF19 and it feels like the best idea is to run so lean on fuel that you don't have to pit (if that's even possible).

Abner Assington fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 27, 2022

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Can someone make a livery to match forums poster LobsterboyX's car?

This should be the link

Lot of neat neat places in scapes.

Also, that car is huge lol. Trunk's as high as a mini, and the roof's almost up to a bus.

I omitted the plate because that a) seemed a bit much without asking; b) came out sorta crap because I'm bad at photoshopinkscape; and c) is the wrong year anyway. But the thing should be editable, so you can slap on whatever plates you want, provided you buy one of the customs and pop a decal on there (it won't let you put decals on the old AZ plates, unfortunately. That means you're sorta stuck to the current US/EU size plates.).

The sticker alignment's probably ok, assuming the door hinges are in the same spot (kinda had to eyeball the horizontals, though). The wheels are also unquestionably the wrong red, brand-wise, but I think they're pretty close. Also it's baffling that you can change tires to something with more tread, but there's no whitewalls option. C'mon Kaz.

Abner Assington posted:

Yeah, that works. I'd much rather have R3 down as the look behind, but you can't set it that way in the options :sigh:

Nobody needs this dumb 360 camera. Just use replays and scapes if you want cool camera angles and stop loving with my muscle memory.

e: Also, what is the consensus on the best strategy for the Gr.1 menu race at Suzuka? Running the SF19 and it feels like the best idea is to run so lean on fuel that you don't have to pit (if that's even possible).

You would not believe how many people whinged they can't 360 their car in chasecam. I was actually quite baffled when it was doing that while I was loving around with this car. Personally, I prefer having x as my look back button. I turned it off because it worked during those text dialogs for license demos and stuff, so every time I tried to advance the text the drat camera would flash backwards. It is weird that just pressing down doesn't just properly flick backwards in chasecam, in cockpit view you can look down like 2 degrees before it triggers to look backwards.

I think I tried a 0 stop in the SF and it was way too slow to manage, realistically you're looking at 1 stop, probably just for fuel. I did that (or something along those lines) and got 3rd; to get first I gave in and used the Peugeot 750Hybrid (notes here, including a link to an ok tune)

Also if you aren't reading all the idiotic things they put in the pre-race tips, you're missing the hell out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Wow! Fantastic job! Can you go post that in his project thread? I don't want to steal your valor.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867802&pagenumber=25&perpage=40

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Abner Assington posted:

I did exactly that for St Croix.

Suzuka I believe it rained. Opted for high downforce so I could just murder them all in the wet and it worked well.

For Daytona I did a one stop and also had my downforce at the absolute lowest. The Gr1 are such monsters on the oval section that you'll want some high end speed.

It's probably possible to do a zero stop on Daytona but it sure felt better to not give up so much time on the straights.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

crackhaed posted:

I did exactly that for St Croix.

Suzuka I believe it rained. Opted for high downforce so I could just murder them all in the wet and it worked well.

For Daytona I did a one stop and also had my downforce at the absolute lowest. The Gr1 are such monsters on the oval section that you'll want some high end speed.

It's probably possible to do a zero stop on Daytona but it sure felt better to not give up so much time on the straights.
I got 1st in Daytona and St. Croix, and only did one stop for fuel on Suzuka running RH tires around lap 8 running a 4 on the fuel map; I don't think the rain ever got severe enough that I'd need to switch to intermediates (and the tread lasts <2 laps on those or something completely abysmal).

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Hey so you goons should join our discord and race with us tonight. They fixed (for the most part) player made lobbies and we'd love to have more than 10 racers

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jesus christ, done days of driving marathons trying to beat the Autodrome Lago Maggiore Kei-cup race. Constantly tweaking and experimenting with tunes. Plateaued at 4th.

I finally turned on the driving line for the first time playing this game, and first place.

Edit: having the VGT cup directly after Kei is hilarious

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 28, 2022

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Mercedes posted:

Hey so you goons should join our discord and race with us tonight. They fixed (for the most part) player made lobbies and we'd love to have more than 10 racers
I joined but have legit never done an online race of any kind, so…

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Jesus christ, done days of driving marathons trying to beat the Autodrome Lago Maggiore Kei-cup race. Constantly tweaking and experimenting with tunes. Plateaued at 4th.

I finally turned on the driving line for the first time playing this game, and first place.

The driving line is useful not just for knowing where the track goes, but for knowing where the AI won't be. Pretty useful if you need people to not be in your way and sap your precious, precious momentum.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
For y'all not aware, there's currently an exploit to farm unlimited tickets from the Cafe menu. You can get unlimited engine swaps and 4-star tickets.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I got the hellcat safety car and the stage v reduction and a 3000 lb hellcat is not any more drivable.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
The LS7 BRZ swapped Silvia with an ultra high rpm turbo would like a word with you

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Double postin:

The 13B miata swap is super fun with an utra high rpm turbo and maxed out front and rear downforce. It turns out that the different chin and rear spoilers have different levels of max downforce, no idea if mounting the rear diffuser has any effect on downforce though. Thing can pull a sub 1:29 (optimal was 1:27.xxx for me, I'm willing to bet you can prob get it into the sub 1:25s) at brand's hatch and is super fun to drive.

Zoom zoom

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Abner Assington posted:

I joined but have legit never done an online race of any kind, so…

No judgement here. We have all sorts of all levels!

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Mercedes posted:

No judgement here. We have all sorts of all levels!
Echoing this. I just joined recently for GT7 and It's a great group. Just the other week someone was bummed that they couldn't figure out why they were so many seconds off the pace and another player drove in front of them to show them the braking points and correct line :3:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ya for sure I would appreciate more people who aren't good so I can maintain middle of the pack level.

Or mid bottom level.

At least not last.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

Hey, so 4th of July falls on this Monday. I personally don't do anything cause I'm a crotchety old man, but a few of our regulars will be off doing whatever instead of racing, like God intended. So, I'll be hosting a second date, Sunday the 3rd!

We'll be racing two tracks, and so far it looks like it'll be High Speed Ring and Fuji (you can help us determine which track by voting here https://discord.gg/YuB6NbPu) which are pretty fun circuits for this monster.

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 1, 2022

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dog nougat posted:

The LS7 BRZ swapped Silvia with an ultra high rpm turbo would like a word with you

Worse than the R26B-787B swap into the rx-7 with the stage 5 lightening? I’m not convinced it can be made drivable.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

in a well actually posted:

Worse than the R26B-787B swap into the rx-7 with the stage 5 lightening? I’m not convinced it can be made drivable.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/praianos-tunes-settings-for-gt7.404868/page-123#post-13769667

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I didnt mean to kill Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEG_wBAN5k4

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Thanks, this almost works; got about two laps in sardinia (higher top speed but about 7s slower than the 787, brake zones are really wrong) but started getting really squirrely and oversteer-y like the tires were cooked (RH, less than 10% worn)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

in a well actually posted:

Thanks, this almost works; got about two laps in sardinia (higher top speed but about 7s slower than the 787, brake zones are really wrong) but started getting really squirrely and oversteer-y like the tires were cooked (RH, less than 10% worn)

Figured it out, this is where wide tires actually matter, I guess. Finished a minute and a half longer than my best 787 time.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

You took a father away from his now window and 3 kids! The travesty!

Racing is next Monday y'all, voting is currently occuring in our discord!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Mercedes posted:

You took a father away from his now window and 3 kids! The travesty!

Racing is next Monday y'all, voting is currently occuring in our discord!

I'm sorry it was an inside job. Your kids wanted sole custody of the Fanatec, I work for fruit loops.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

teethgrinder posted:

I came to this thread looking for advice on how to beat this exact race. I have built three different Kei cars trying to win but I too can only get to 4th place. I'll try this approach and see how it goes. All of the online guides I found have wildly inaccurate builds for the current PP values of the recommended upgrades.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ardemia posted:

I came to this thread looking for advice on how to beat this exact race. I have built three different Kei cars trying to win but I too can only get to 4th place. I'll try this approach and see how it goes. All of the online guides I found have wildly inaccurate builds for the current PP values of the recommended upgrades.
For what it's worth there were two turns that kept 'fooling me' and I was taking poorly without the driving line.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

teethgrinder posted:

For what it's worth there were two turns that kept 'fooling me' and I was taking poorly without the driving line.

This plus 12kg ballast, engine balancing, and some tuning got me first place on my second try.

Search the internet for an answer on a challenge on a new game and you still find better advice on this old dead forum than the first pages of google results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

In what order should you add ballast, use the power restrictor, or lower the output with the ECU? Just in general; does one give better results when lowering PP than the others? I've been trying to keep them even as I lower them.