Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

rickiep00h posted:

Without knowing how far you have unlocked things or your level of experience with GT... yes? Like, there's a ton of challenging solo content in the game, and the races can get pretty difficult the further you get. And from what I've heard, the advanced AI races (I can't remember what Sony calls it) is pretty dang difficult to race against.

I mean most of the challenge of the game is, in fact, self-imposed. You choose your level of GIT GUD when it comes to Missions, Licensing, and Course Mastery, and you choose whether or not to build an ubercar that destroys most things in its "class", and in PP unlimited races you have the option to build to the recommended level instead of just blasting past it like an overleveled JRPG party. Later menu books have more stringent class restrictions, and later races have tire and gas strategy built in (which, of course, you CAN destroy with enough credits thrown at it.)

Daily races/sport mode is just something you have to play to get better at, as those usually *are* tightly controlled in regard to Balance of Power. The key to those is usually qualifying well and managing to avoid lovely drivers.

But yeah, without knowing how far you are in the progress of the game or what you're expecting, it's hard to answer more precisely.

Almost all of the single player races are start at the back and work your way up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dog nougat posted:

I recommend turning tire sounds up in audio settings. The game does a decent job of transmitting tire feel/grip to a controller, but the sound helps a ton. It's def a lot easier on a wheel to figure out what they're doing. It's also one of those things where you learn more over time what's happening, but yeah it's a bit more difficult for the rear. Having a headset and 3d audio enabled is super helpful for figuring our what the rear is doing.

I called my brother for his birthday the other day, and since I'm a bad brother, I decided to play GT7 while on the phone. It is wild how much the sound informs what you are doing, not just the tire squeal but even like when to shift.

Also I bought a 918, and it is insanely fast. It accelerates like a super formula car expect with nowhere near the amount of grip. I am probably not very good, but it feels borderline undriveable. I can't figure out when to brake. Even when I try to dial it back to like 7/10 I am still struggling :negative:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I feel like I’m better than I should be for a 40’s dad on a controller. I really, really want a direct drive wheel (that fanatec PS5 ready package) but spending $700 when a) the console is $500 and b) whenever I start binging this game I don’t binge it for THAT long before some other game comes out and grabs me. But man it sure would be nice. I do enjoy this game more, and improving at it more than any other game.

Speaking of tire wear I did the 3 laps Nurburgring 24hr course for the weekly in a down-tuned GR1 Nissan to get it under the PP limit. It was amazing amazing race. The car just flew through the corners but I didn’t realize until lap 2 that the front tires (racing hard) were wearing A LOT faster than the rear tires. So halfway through lap 2 I change the brake balance to nearly all the way to Rear and changed the fuel mapping a bit so I wouldn’t have to pit. By near end of lap 3 I had zero tread left on the front tires. Things were getting very difficult. Hell of a fight on the straight away:

https://i.imgur.com/G7oBcQ5.mp4

but I landed third place and was very happy. Heck of a race. Unbelievable I got through the ring 3 times without loving up.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just finished all gold in international B. I’m playing without any assists on controller and I feel like finishing international A might be my limit. The super license on controller does not seem possible.

I've got the trophy that says it totally is. All gold, perhaps not.

Green Wing posted:

I'm giving this a go, and have been mostly enjoying it, but do the races against the AI ever get challenging or start to need pit stops or have PP limits? I'm getting a little bored of the constant "you start in last and are faster than everybody" grind, but when I try to do the daily races I at best come a couple places from last.

It's been answered, but unless you're on a ps5 and have the sophy stuff, the ai doesn't really get smarter. Mostly the races are puzzles, where you need to sort out the right car to catch up, or the correct pit strategy. Some of these are more forgiving than others. For example, the 700pp lemans can be done with just about anything that isn't a road car with no trouble, but there's a clubman+ mini race and a couple of silvia races that basically require a turbo to catch up with the one ai car that has one. Or some of the historic supercar races which have enough of a straightaway for the markedly newer lamborghinis to just walk away from drat near everything that's eligible for the race (in stock form, at least).

Also yes, the sound is excellent, it's shockingly easy to tell when I'm going to entirely lose grip and stuff, so long as I'm actually listening.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I feel like I’m better than I should be for a 40’s dad on a controller. I really, really want a direct drive wheel (that fanatec PS5 ready package) but spending $700 when a) the console is $500 and b) whenever I start binging this game I don’t binge it for THAT long before some other game comes out and grabs me. But man it sure would be nice. I do enjoy this game more, and improving at it more than any other game.

My situation is that I have a Fanatec wheel, but it doesn't work for PlayStation, just PC/Xbox. :( Yeah there are those devices that will emulate inputs and let you use your wheel on your console, but it isn't at all the same thing. I have one, and it just doesn't feel right at all and turns your Fanatec into a glorified gamepad.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

in a well actually posted:

Almost all of the single player races are start at the back and work your way up, though.

Well, yeah. That's sort of how racing works. Start at position X and try to get to the front. How hard that is depends on your car and ability and strategy.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

rickiep00h posted:

Well, yeah. That's sort of how racing works. Start at position X and try to get to the front. How hard that is depends on your car and ability and strategy.

In racing, qualifying exists for a reason. Starting the fastest car at the back because all the other drivers are slot car racers that will ram you if you’re on their preset lines is not exactly like how racing works.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

in a well actually posted:

In racing, qualifying exists for a reason. Starting the fastest car at the back because all the other drivers are slot car racers that will ram you if you’re on their preset lines is not exactly like how racing works.

Then race vs Sophy, use a different car or tune, or play sport mode (which OP seemed to not exactly be plussed by and are all options I gave.)

Yes, you're technically correct. Options exist to mitigate or ignore that problem, if one wants to.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

rickiep00h posted:

Then race vs Sophy, use a different car or tune, or play sport mode (which OP seemed to not exactly be plussed by and are all options I gave.)

Yes, you're technically correct. Options exist to mitigate or ignore that problem, if one wants to.

Using a different car or tuning won’t change the fact that 95% of races have a rolling start in 20th and you’re expected to get to at least the podium. It’ll just change the relative difficulty of reaching that position.

There are a couple of clubman cups and things that start you in the middle of the pack with standing starts but it’s not really enough. I really wish that at least the cups had qualifying sessions and standing starts.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Would that substantially change the experience of the race, though? I don't think so, but maybe I'm weird in how I process "car does roundy rounds".

Also, what purpose would qualifying serve against the computer? How would you implement it in a way that didn't seem as rote as no qualifying? What it would change in the equation of "get overpowered car -> dominate"?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I feel like it was only a few months ago when starting at last place and having to move up to 1st was actually fraught with danger because the AI would PIT maneuver me every single chance they got the moment I tried to pass them. It rarely happens nowadays. Still sometimes but I feel like when it does it’s because I passed them too close in a turn. Maybe I also just got used to giving any AI car I passed a really wide berth too lol.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Most of the races aren't long enough for qualifying to serve any purpose besides pointlessly adding a couple laps to the race total.

Plus, if you're just starting in first that means the whole race is basically just a time trial, as opposed to most of the race being a time trial.

Also, the only thing worse than the standing starts are the drag races.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Zenostein posted:

:wrong:

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Zenostein posted:

Most of the races aren't long enough for qualifying to serve any purpose besides pointlessly adding a couple laps to the race total.

Plus, if you're just starting in first that means the whole race is basically just a time trial, as opposed to most of the race being a time trial.

You gotta check out the chili pepper races. Proper races. This ain't your daddy's time trials.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zenostein posted:

as a point of comparison, Forza Motorsport (2023) over on the Xbox/PC is asking you to do 3 laps of practice before then going into 3-5 lap races, so :v:

the one thing that GT should steal is choosing where on the grid you start, and having that slide how much you earn from the race. Want to start at the back and make some crazy money? Go nuts. Want to start 10th and make it easier? Sure, why not.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just like to imagine that my GT character is an ok driver but is just the worst qualifier in the history of motorsports for some reason, maybe a qualifying lap framed their dad for murder?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

qirex posted:

I just like to imagine that my GT character is an ok driver but is just the worst qualifier in the history of motorsports for some reason, maybe a qualifying lap framed their dad for murder?

Shame penalty for the terrible engine swaps. Even if you haven’t done any yet, you definitely will.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

qirex posted:

I think that's the plot of a Codemasters game

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's surreal seeing our goon Gran Turismo group growing nearly two years into the game's lifespan.

Also screw jerks who gaslight everyone in the lobby about how much faster they are while rocking 200 more HP than everyone else.

You know who you are.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kirios posted:

It's surreal seeing our goon Gran Turismo group growing nearly two years into the game's lifespan.

It's literally the reason I got a PS5 and then I didn't get the dang game until it was gifted to me. Catching up like I started in the back.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I literally got GT7 before I got my PS5.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah and we're sticking around too - we're comfortably getting 8+ drivers each week now, if not more. Two weeks ago we had...12? 13?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gran Turismo 7 is still a really good racing sim. Still playing it, but looking forward to Gran Turismo 8. We know that one is in development, but its still really early.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I can’t wait for Gran Turismo 34. That one is going to be a banger.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zenostein posted:

Since the spec II update where u can realistically track the race events I've been grinding through them. The top half are cake and the later races are son's of bitches for various reasons. I've had some that really do require you to pick and upgrade the right car, a couple that had added update cars that are much faster than the rest of the field, and a few where weather surprised me and I was unprepared. I think I'm around 57%, I'm trying to balance the longer and shorter ones tho so I don't get stuck with only long ones to finish.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Since the spec II update where u can realistically track the race events I've been grinding through them. The top half are cake and the later races are son's of bitches for various reasons. I've had some that really do require you to pick and upgrade the right car, a couple that had added update cars that are much faster than the rest of the field, and a few where weather surprised me and I was unprepared. I think I'm around 57%, I'm trying to balance the longer and shorter ones tho so I don't get stuck with only long ones to finish.

Yeah, doing events a patch or two after they've come out tends to be a bit easier — for example the porsche cup is a cakewalk with a cayman instead of some flavor of 911. Also usually the car they've added for an event type is a bit of a trap and there's a far better option, which'll only become quite clear when you see who ended up in first with a disgusting split time.

I really need to get better about actually looking at the weather forecast, now that they've added it to the prep screen. I always end up glancing at the button, ignoring it, and then halfway through the race start praying that the rain doesn't hold up and make my racing tires (because I'm a cheating bastard) useless.

I think most of what I've got left is stuff that's rather unpleasant with a controller, like gr1/vgt stuff. Not necessarily longer, just far less pleasant than say, doing the ferrari cup races with some other upgraded dinosaur.

Mercedes posted:

You gotta check out the chili pepper races. Proper races. This ain't your daddy's time trials.

Yeah, the missions get pretty tough. Most of the pepper races that are just on the track menus still kinda end up as "get as much engine as you can and hope your comfort softs can handle it," though (because that's what at least one car on the grid will have done).

harperdc posted:

as a point of comparison, Forza Motorsport (2023) over on the Xbox/PC is asking you to do 3 laps of practice before then going into 3-5 lap races, so :v:

the one thing that GT should steal is choosing where on the grid you start, and having that slide how much you earn from the race. Want to start at the back and make some crazy money? Go nuts. Want to start 10th and make it easier? Sure, why not.

That's pretty rough, although having the option of a few practice laps (instead of just restarting) for an unfamiliar track would probably be kinda nice.

Glad you like the launch control experience, something about standing on the brakes until the game lets me go just annoys me.

Probably an aftereffect of those various races where you have to sit around for a minute watching a countdown so you can chase after 40-year-old gtrs in your shiny new one (and also need to make sure you don't touch them, or you'll have to watch that countdown again. And again. And again……).

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Zenostein posted:

Yeah, the missions get pretty tough. Most of the pepper races that are just on the track menus still kinda end up as "get as much engine as you can and hope your comfort softs can handle it," though (because that's what at least one car on the grid will have done).

My sweet Goon, not the mission chili pepper races, https://imgur.com/a/8z66D5T
These races. They got them sprinkled around the event list. Most of them are standing start, and the races make you wonder wtf polyphony was thinking not having all the events be like this.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Reading back over the previous pages and seeing insane advice for starting racing career like “start kart racing at an early age.”

The real answer is to mindlessly do whatever your local coffee shop barista tells you to do. It’s like you all learned nothing from this game.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bugblatter posted:

Reading back over the previous pages and seeing insane advice for starting racing career like “start kart racing at an early age.”

The real answer is to mindlessly do whatever your local coffee shop barista tells you to do. It’s like you all learned nothing from this game.

That's for car COLLECTING. Car DRIVING is taught by various professional video game players.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

rickiep00h posted:

That's for car COLLECTING. Car DRIVING is taught by various professional video game players.

Help me Dark Syde Phil

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Man I was real struggling on the fisherman’s ranch 1 lap 600 pp race until I turned TCS off, drat that slows you so much on the dirt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BoonyPC posted:

Man I was real struggling on the fisherman’s ranch 1 lap 600 pp race until I turned TCS off, drat that slows you so much on the dirt

Yeah I do not know why it’s on for dirt and snow.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rally races are the only thing I turn automatic transmission on for. I just cannot process all that together.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pretty bold of them to put the 1hr Spa race in the weekly challenge. If anyone needs an easy button for it the Gr. 2 GT-R GT500 ‘08 is a monster, just won by 2 laps but some of that was because I got lucky and there were 2 bits of mild rain. It gets crazy mileage in stock form, only had to refuel once.

Rain driving tips: put your fuel mix all the way to level 5 or 6 lean, you can’t go that fast anyway. Also try to only go 70-80% on the brakes to avoid locking up. And do Eau Rouge (the fast uphill chicane at the beginning) gently, you get a huge penalty for cutting the corner.

qirex fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 29, 2023

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is the weather in a race like that actually random, or does everyone get the same? I got two storms but the first felt almost undrivable even with full wet tires. Will have to try it again unfortunately

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

emdash posted:

Is the weather in a race like that actually random, or does everyone get the same? I got two storms but the first felt almost undrivable even with full wet tires. Will have to try it again unfortunately

It's random, but I feel like it's random within a range. So there'll be say an 80% chance that it'll rain in that spa race, and the real randomness is when/how long/how much. The real fun bit is that the weather sticks unless you fully exit the race, so if you did a couple laps and it started to rain, but then you decided to quit to fix your gearbox, when you start the race again the track'll still be wet and it'll still be raining.

It's been ages, but I assume I used some bullshit like a lemans car for it. They're slightly less likely to be completely useless above 50mph on slicks in the rain, at least.

The tesla race was pretty terrible. Just a couple minutes of expansion joint noises and guessing if you've slowed down enough for a curve while you try to find room to get around. (Also in cockpit view the ui map is overlaid over the useless gps display, which is unpleasant to look at.)

qirex posted:

Yeah I do not know why it’s on for dirt and snow.

I do wish the game was properly consistent about actually turning that off for dirt races. It's just sloppy that it only does so for some dirt races.

Mercedes posted:

My sweet Goon, not the mission chili pepper races, https://imgur.com/a/8z66D5T
These races. They got them sprinkled around the event list. Most of them are standing start, and the races make you wonder wtf polyphony was thinking not having all the events be like this.

I flipped through a few tracks, and the only ones I have any recollection of all involve too many cars and no space to pass. I'll agree that having more cars would be nice, but not on tsukuba or whatever. And the mini one where one guy's jammed a turbo in and the only answer is "jam a turbo in."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve never used the full wet tires, just inters. When it’s super duper bad that usually only lasts a lap or so and the ai drivers aren’t very fast in the rain even with W tires. The first light blue level of rain is totally doable with slicks, it’s not until above the 1/3 mark on the water gauge that things get squirrelly.

I hope they add more 30 and 60 minute races with the day/night cycle.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Just got this for PS5 for Christmas. I'm having a blast building up my car collection and remembering how to drive for semi-realzies after a couple years of playing no racing games but Forza Horizon and Burnout.

Is there like a handy list of cars you get for free in events so I'm not wasting my hard earned credits buying duplicates?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You will have to buy a bunch of cars for the menu books, and you will also receive a bunch as rewards.

https://samurai-gamers.com/gran-turismo-7/gt-cafe-menu-books-and-rewards-list/

That said I would just buy whatever you want and not worry about it. You can sell cars now, so you don't have to have 5 BRZs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

qirex posted:

I’ve never used the full wet tires, just inters. When it’s super duper bad that usually only lasts a lap or so and the ai drivers aren’t very fast in the rain even with W tires. The first light blue level of rain is totally doable with slicks, it’s not until above the 1/3 mark on the water gauge that things get squirrelly.

I hope they add more 30 and 60 minute races with the day/night cycle.

That's more or less how it goes. Bottom third is slicks, middle is inters, top is wets. Mostly what you get out of the wets is slightly higher cornering speeds and traction. Either way you're not going to get more than 120–140mph or so without hydroplaning, and obviously the wets'll wear down way faster once things start to dry out. You do get a bit more leeway with 4wd (and maybe MR?) before traction really starts to suffer, too.

The AI is generally bad about swapping tires, so if you're lucky with the timing (or on a short course) you can make up a lot of time if you've properly guessed how bad/long the rain'll be.