Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

harperdc posted:

I think tires are different too with Gr3 cars having more aggressive slicks, but I’d have to double check.
I don't think the game models the tire compounds differently between the group numbers but different cars definitely have different wheel sizes. I think any differences in handling would be due to more downforce and a large contact patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Does the wheel size or offset you select in the livery/car parts editor screen actually affect the car’s performance.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yes, if you look for tunes on like GTPlanet a lot of them rely on those settings

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Racing wheel recommendations? I can’t decide if I want a G923 or a T300RS. I had a G27 that I loved with Assetto Corsa and GT6. Is a belt driven wheel really that much of an improvement?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

emdash posted:

Yes, if you look for tunes on like GTPlanet a lot of them rely on those settings

Sometimes I wonder if the people making those tunes actually look up wheel weights to find a suitable one. Probably not, though. The last time I noted that (ages ago) in a tune I think it just said "any aftermarket wheel, whatever size, wide offset" or something similar. Wouldn't really surprise me if that was all fully modeled though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Racing wheel recommendations? I can’t decide if I want a G923 or a T300RS. I had a G27 that I loved with Assetto Corsa and GT6. Is a belt driven wheel really that much of an improvement?

Not really, as direct drive wheels get cheaper belt drives are kinda lost in no-man’s land. Logitech’s stock pedals are also way better than Thrustmaster’s imo which feel designed to upsell you to the T3PA pedals.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My personal experience with getting car tunes, and setting recommendations from people on GTplanet, is that the people there are completely insane, or trolls. It's not a good sim racing community, the people there tend to be pretty dumb.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Not trying to upsell but you get to a point where going DD is just a better buy given the pricing now. G923 is a great wheel too - bit loud tho, I have no experience with the TS belt wheels. But if you're thinking this is something you're going to do for a while and can swing it, DD is not that much more $ and will last a lot longer. Pedals are the harder and more important thing imo, brake specifically.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’d definitely pick the G923 over the T300.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

My personal experience with getting car tunes, and setting recommendations from people on GTplanet, is that the people there are completely insane, or trolls. It's not a good sim racing community, the people there tend to be pretty dumb.

Praiano's are usually at least a good base with a couple of tweaks to taste. The real gotcha with getting tunes online is that people tend to not update them with the various physics/PP changes, so you'll find tunes from almost a year ago with real hosed up ride heights to jam something too powerful under 600PP or whatever. Mind, even at the time when they were "valid," they sure as hell didn't feel or handle good, but there was at least a reason for that nonsense. Unfortunately, deciphering why an old tune is insane would require knowing what was changed in which patch, and when that was; and fixing them would require understanding how tuning works, at which point you may as well just make your own instead.

I think it's kinda funny that the patches interfere with being able to just look up how to solve a problem in-game like that, although I assume that isn't something that polyphony's actually angling towards.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

I said come in! posted:

Yeah it’s an extremely old site, so I imagine people left there are pretty odd. I used to visit it over a decade ago. I’ve found a couple useful threads now but mostly I’d agree with you. I don’t actually know if there is a good alternative these days though

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Thanks, yeah I don’t really want to drop $700 on a DD wheel so I’ll go the G923 route

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Thanks, yeah I don’t really want to drop $700 on a DD wheel so I’ll go the G923 route

It's a really good wheel you won't be disappointed. It's a slippery slope but the 923 is a really decent setup.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yup it's the perfect entry wheel. Get it, have a great time, and in a couple of years if you're still digging it then think about getting the full DD setup.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

crackhaed posted:

I don't think the game models the tire compounds differently between the group numbers but different cars definitely have different wheel sizes. I think any differences in handling would be due to more downforce and a large contact patch.

I don’t know if it would be captured but I’m guessing shocks and dampers for GT3s are also a bit better too.

I said come in! posted:

Christ, that place. It’s been weird since the 2000s.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Letting everyone know whos thinking of racing in the upcoming Championship, the MR2 is on sale finally!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mercedes posted:

Letting everyone know whos thinking of racing in the upcoming Championship, the MR2 is on sale finally!

Also it won't be there forever so buy it. It's cheap. Go do it now.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Buy 3.
Triples makes it safe. Triples is best.
Keep 1 stock
Do the R8 engine swap on 1
Tune tf outta the other one.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Whoever at PD picks the weekly events hates me personally, Barcelona Rallycross again [not hard but the absolute worst rally course by a mile and why are we repeating events in the fist couple months of these?] and a Super Formula race which I'm going to make an honest effort at but will probably just be Real Mad about. I did the Euro 400 in the gullwing SL which I'd never driven before and was kind of fun. Did cockpit view for sweet art deco gauges.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I hate Barcelona in general, but the RX layout is so annoying. First time I saw it I thought I'd enjoy it, but then I remembered how much I fuckin loathe rally driving about 12 seconds in.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don't mind the rallycross because the dirt tires have such low grip on asphalt, and I feel like a hero dumping out huge amounts of tire smoke through the asphalt section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXooT5aEyiE

I hosed up that second to last corner pretty good, but for a moment I felt like Ken Block.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
New Barbie Car!

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Finally, we can test whether consumer reports was right about the suzuki samurai being a deathtrap.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

xarph posted:

Finally, we can test whether consumer reports was right about the suzuki samurai being a deathtrap.

Sadly, I did not manage to make it roll, even when a bit sideways and bouncing across the grass at goodwood.

Does go pretty well when you double its horsepower, though. Shame kaz won't let you entirely ruin cars by lowering them a ton, just enough to [silently] ruin your ability to turn, it'd be pretty funny with the ride height of a fit or something.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Jimny is big fun, those might have been my favorite off road races to date. Plus the big square sides and roof make me want to do something in the decal editor besides putting stripes on all my cars.

If you're doing the Tokyo 800 race in the weekly challenge make sure you pack some intermediate tires...

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

qirex posted:

The Jimny is big fun, those might have been my favorite off road races to date. Plus the big square sides and roof make me want to do something in the decal editor besides putting stripes on all my cars.

If you're doing the Tokyo 800 race in the weekly challenge make sure you pack some intermediate tires...

I was lucky enough to avoid real rainfall. RMs all day.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Well I bought a G923 and I absolutely love it. Except I hate it because it made me enjoy Tokyo Expressway since now I don’t suck on it

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

You should show us. On Tuesday.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Jimny got an engine swap, but it's nothing too exciting. At a guess, it's just the engine from a swift. An extra cylinder definitely makes it faster, but it's not as hosed up as any of the kei car swaps. It's probably about as fast just with that as adding all the junk onto the regular engine, honestly.

There are some fun customization options for it, though. So if you'd prefer to play dress-up rather than race, A+ car. Super wish the game didn't do that weird dithering thing for smoke/dust

I couldn't bring myself to care about another evo or the new TT, but the R4's kinda fun.

Much like the DS, it's kinda useless in say, the classic car road races; there's no way in hell it's going to catch up to an '80's lambo or anything. But it's kinda fun in the dirt, at least. Also, just like the DS, it has a neat strange french gearshift. Unlike the DS (at least as far as I can recall), it has a sensible animation for shifting, even when you add a 5th gear.

Makes me wonder if Kaz knew, considering the new R4 suddenly showing up this week.

Also shoutout to the quick race for not having any idea what other car it could possibly throw in to compete fairly with a stock R8. Didn't even vary the driver outfits, shameful.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ordered an open-box PSVR2. :dumb:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Ordered an open-box PSVR2. :dumb:

Bad idea imo, but if you're playing a lot of GT7 everyday, then it will ultimately be worth it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have enough on PlayStation to keep me busy though it's annoying and a drat shame Wipeout Omega Edition never got a PSVR2 update. Played it on a friend's original PSVR and it blew me away.

Seems like a lot of progress has been made on getting it to work on PC too, and supposedly official support coming too

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah the newest firmware update adds support, but now everyone is just waiting on the necessary adapter, either 3rd party, or ideally Sony has something in the works.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So PSVR2 is a nice fun toy for things like Tetris ... but GT7 is literally by far the best VR experience I've ever had. Geezus christ the dashes + lighting. The mirrors are so functional.

It's also pretty drat low barrier to entry. Not much to "set up" and you could just leave it plugged in if you didn't have to worry about kids/pets. But even then it's just one cable, and adjusts to your head quickly and well.

I only ever dabbled with a Meta2 before and found it so much fussier, but firmware could have been improved by now. I appreciate on PSVR2 I can just select "temporary play area", sit on the couch and drive. Don't even need to turn on the TV.

Tiny nitpick, but pop-in on some tracks is a lot more apparent in VR.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

teethgrinder posted:

So PSVR2 is a nice fun toy for things like Tetris ... but GT7 is literally by far the best VR experience I've ever had. Geezus christ the dashes + lighting. The mirrors are so functional.

It's also pretty drat low barrier to entry. Not much to "set up" and you could just leave it plugged in if you didn't have to worry about kids/pets. But even then it's just one cable, and adjusts to your head quickly and well.

I only ever dabbled with a Meta2 before and found it so much fussier, but firmware could have been improved by now. I appreciate on PSVR2 I can just select "temporary play area", sit on the couch and drive. Don't even need to turn on the TV.

Tiny nitpick, but pop-in on some tracks is a lot more apparent in VR.

The pop-in on cars and tracks annoys me as well. Sometimes following a ghost on a time trial I know how poorly I'm doing because I see the detail drop at a certain distance. That and the doubling of track markers and other things as they whiz by to my sides. I really thought that would be fixed at some point but it's here to stay.

Other than that, I don't race any other way and I still race a few hours per week.

I said come in! posted:

Bad idea imo, but if you're playing a lot of GT7 everyday, then it will ultimately be worth it.

If you were having a face to face conversation with someone, telling someone something they just bought would be rude. It's the same online.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just picked up my PSVR2 second hand on Market place for a good price.

I've had a lot of experience with developing for PC VR and games on various headsets, and at a point where I'm allergic to anything that requires multiple cables, constantly rearranging my room and especially, loving about with drivers and lovely software.

The plug and play nature of this thing is brilliant. It's not quite as one fits all solution as a Quest, but I mostly play Assetto Corsa on the PC with a wheel, and it's awful UI, and intense time to setup everything drives me quite crazy to the point i never use it, because I only get to play at night, and by the time its all up and running I'm too tired.

This is a really lovely headset. GT7 looks and feels phenomenal in it. I've recreated my real car as close as I can get away with, so walking around it / sitting inside is a real trip.

Unfortunately I just think it's too drat expensive, with too little content to support it. Hoping the PCVR drivers will give it a bit of a second life.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

Isometric Bacon posted:

Just picked up my PSVR2 second hand on Market place for a good price.

I've had a lot of experience with developing for PC VR and games on various headsets, and at a point where I'm allergic to anything that requires multiple cables, constantly rearranging my room and especially, loving about with drivers and lovely software.

The plug and play nature of this thing is brilliant. It's not quite as one fits all solution as a Quest, but I mostly play Assetto Corsa on the PC with a wheel, and it's awful UI, and intense time to setup everything drives me quite crazy to the point i never use it, because I only get to play at night, and by the time its all up and running I'm too tired.

This is a really lovely headset. GT7 looks and feels phenomenal in it. I've recreated my real car as close as I can get away with, so walking around it / sitting inside is a real trip.

Unfortunately I just think it's too drat expensive, with too little content to support it. Hoping the PCVR drivers will give it a bit of a second life.

You should play with us goons!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Does anyone use a VR headset with a controller? Also, if you play with a headset, are you forced into only the cockpit view? I assume yes. I personally find it too distracting. I don't know, a disconnect between the wheel on screen versus what I am doing with the controller. I have tried many times but I always end up switching back to the "nose" view where you don't see any of the car.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Toe Rag posted:

Does anyone use a VR headset with a controller? Also, if you play with a headset, are you forced into only the cockpit view? I assume yes. I personally find it too distracting. I don't know, a disconnect between the wheel on screen versus what I am doing with the controller. I have tried many times but I always end up switching back to the "nose" view where you don't see any of the car.
I've tried it, it feels weird and is obviously a lot more natural with a wheel. Yes it does force you into cockpit view.

If you're at all invested in the game a wheel is really worth it, especially if you already have PSVR2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have both and don't mind using the controller with VR at all. It feels a bit less unsettling really when the arms aren't in sync or controls are in opposite place.

Lol I've haven't been getting motion sick when playing except oh man I did not enjoy spinning out once.