Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hi guys, I’ll play this here game BUT NO OTHERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I am going to cook and make one case per day. Deal with it or vote me out.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I went out to eat tonight. Had bourbon, Prosecco, crab, white truffle risotto, and a pleasant evening. No cooking to be shared.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I will be cooking real life tomorrow.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Insandenza posted:

I made my own recipe last night so now I can move on to others.

Behold a seasonal hand pie (can I double down like that?)

Nothing says Valentine's Day like a nice juicy red cherry so I headed down to the local farmers market to get the freshest cherries I could find

Had to scramble to find some stuff to make dough but I was able to scrape together enough for a decent ball

Stamped out some circles and made cute little cherry hearts in the center

Stamped out some more circles, forked those pies, and sprinkled some turbinado sugar on it

Then tossed them in the oven for a while and out came some semi-yummy "seasonal hand pies"

They were... ok... maybe the dough was a bit thick. Also I don't really like cherries...

Ooh I do a recipe like this with a few twists. I’ll make it tonight.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Fergalicious definition make the scum go crazy

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I ended up grilling in zero degree weather for reasons that do not make much sense.

I did make a season cup of coffee this morning and took pictures. Will post soon.

Let me see what scum I can find.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If you need funds to purchase an updated certificate on votefinder.org, please contact me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Shellception posted:

Hurried cookposting. Will read thread later. Sorry.

For the second most active poster in the thread, apologizing for not actively reading the thread at this point feels pretty fake.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Let me just make one post instead of train of thought. Ignore that.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Shellception posted:

At this point I'm really not feeling too strongly about anyone, tbh. Multiple grays but nothing else. Could go Chic but I'm really on the fence about that Tobbs slapfight, not sure if it's really two people that are just getting at each other or if Chic is scum trying to push/justify a vote. I feel better about Tobbs for the reasons I specified before.

I dislike zero-info lurker votes, it'd be good as a last resource but nothing else. Akay is a great player and I hope she pops back. Meen is bad with D1s but I agree with Voodoo - give us something, please.

I am very interested in hearing from Bif now that the game is in mafia mode. But that's not happening before I leave because it's night over there, and late afternoon here. If we don't cross paths, she's not gonna be my vote today.

Also Merk is in this game, he did promise a case too, but I fear it's gonna be the same thing as Bif time-wise.

I promised myself I'd take maf playing less seriously and I am not doing so. Will step off now. Will be back before bedtime and cast a vote based on state of the game at that time.

Shellception posted:

Hurried cookposting. Will read thread later. Sorry.

Shellception posted:

Meh. Game hasn't moved that much, tbh. Still ambivalent about a good number of folks but I do agree with those saying that they won't vote people cooking/participating today.

So this is a very conscious lurker vote - I'm giving Merk a pass because I actually am happy to see him back again, and I don't want him out of Cookfia D1. Akay is a great maf asset but she's just... not here, and I cannot really justify to myself voting Chic over her because, hell, he is at least playing.

##vote Akay

Got some comments but nothing important, and I really need a mental break. Taking off for the day, talk to you all tomorrow.

Read: I am arguably the most active player in the game, but I don't really want to do anything scumhunting-wise unless you start focusing on one of my scum buddies. Here's some cooking to make sure I get the points I need to help my scum team too.

##vote Shell

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Active town here pushes the game towards the case that active town believes is the strongest one to exist. I have seen Shell do this as town in other games.

Here, however, Shell doesn't want to move the needle. In a kind of lurky game, why would active scum do anything other than let town walk into elimination of town, which it what this Akay elimination feels like to me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This is a piss poor cooking showing for me in a Cookfia, but it's all I got here on this day 1. I bought ingredients to do the filo thing (if alive, I will do it tomorrow) but ended up not having time to do it tonight.

Here is my season creation. It is simple, but it is what we all should be doing in the winter months when you do not want to get out of the house. Hot coffee done right.

https://i.imgur.com/Fdi6yeD.mp4

Strange Brew is a local coffee house here in Greenwood, IN. Their "Holiday Grogg" was available in late December and has been my go to home brew. I encourage you to visit their website and order some beans!

Steps:
1. Heat your water. I use a basic $11 electric skillet that I got on Amazon. It has worked for 3+ years without issue. Don't be dumb and be that person who thinks you need to boil distilled water or something. Those people suck.
2. Measure your beans. I like between 17-18g for my strength.
3. Grind your beans. This is a big deal. I am not a coffee snob, but there is definitely a taste difference between freshly ground beans and ground beans in a bag. This Capresso grinder thing was relatively cheap and has worked, again, for 3+ years without issue.
4. Throw the ground coffee into your Aeropress over your coffee cup.
5. Bloom the ground coffee with scalding hot water. What this means is that you put a small amount of scalding water over the ground coffee for 20 seconds or so. You will see biggish bubbles come off the grounds which is CO2 (I think? I don't know) bubbling off that gives kind of bitter taste if you don't get rid of it.
6. After blooming, slowly pour more scalding hot water over the coffee until it fills up. Let it sink in a bit after filling and then put more water in to get a bigger cup. The Aeropress is great, but it doesn't make enough coffee for me without doing this step.
7. Top the Aeropress to seep the poo poo for exactly one minute.
8. Push down on the Aeropress plunger into your cup slowly.
9. Drink and be merry.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My next real life week is theoretically less busy...

Watch that get blown up before Monday morning even starts.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I don't understand the Chic case.
I strongly believe the Akay case is eliminating town. That is a strong gut read.

Shell is the scum here watching us implode.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I can just see the scum chat line: "None of us are in danger today."

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
YOU ARE NOW, SHELL

YOU ARE IN DANGER

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I won’t vote Akay.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Insandenza posted:

I’m just not seeing what people are seeing in shell I guess

That’s why I’m the goat and you’re just Hal.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
That’s a joke. For sure someone isn’t going to see that and think I’m the worst.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Voodoofly posted:

The normal aeropress method is like no work. Literally steep ten seconds then plunge.

Merks is a slightly fancier method that takes a minute

this one takes two and a half minutes but slays

If you count that it takes five seconds to clean an aeropress it’s way faster than just about any other coffee method I’ve used

Ten seconds?!?!?!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
At least we generated some content at the end of the day. I haven’t read any of it yet though.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Insandenza posted:

Yeah, ok, “GOAT”

:11tea:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Meen, if you think scum took advantage of a bad case, then tell us who is scum.

I’m going to continue to only make one case per day. Twilight I might drive some content though.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I stand by my case. It was wrong, but we were limping into a lurker vs lurker elimination on no real reads. I kickstarted the game (late) with a case I felt good about.

That type of stuff usually leads to my wrong elimination, but I’ll never change.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

hambeet posted:

what has piqued my interest on a re-read is how you had a 'strong' feeling akay was town, when they'd not posted much game content by that stage.

My Akay read was based on low effort d1 lurker eliminations almost always hitting town. If I said something else, I misstated.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandicap posted:

Hey everyone, look, a new recipe just arrived.

Sub Rosa's Na3C6H5O7 Queso Blanco

12 oz Cheese (I go with Monterey Jack, but you do you)
1 Cup Liquid (Evaporated Milk or Beer or your choice)
1 1/2 Teaspoon Sodium Citrate (Na3C6H5O7)

Optional:
Green Chilies
2 Tablespoons Butter
Chorizo

Instructions:

Shred the cheese. Don't get the preshredded, it has all those anti-caking agents, we don't want that. Or don't shred it and just rip it into pieces, just smaller is easier to melt.

Warm your liquid on low/medium heat. Dissolve the Na3C6H5O7 in the liquid.

Then melt the cheese (and optional butter) in the liquid a handful at a time with constant stirring. If it is too thin, add more cheese. If it is too thick, add more of your liquid. When good, add a can of green chilies and/or some already cooked chorizo.

I don't have Na3C6H5O7:

Okay, so two options. Easier is substitute 1/4 to 100% of the cheese with a processed cheese because it already has emulsifying salts in it. So white American cheese or Velveeta.

Or you can science your own emulsifying salts!

Juice three limes, stir in 2-3 grams of baking soda into the juice. Let it react for at least five minutes. Then add your liquid of choice and you are good to go.

Sub Rosa's Na3C6H5O7 Queso Blanco is worth 25 points.

To help those that need it:

Reddit posted:

You can make it. Sodium citrate is the salt of citric acid and sodium. Citric acid can often be found at health food stores or in Latin or Asian food aisles as sour salt. The sodium can be derived from baking soda.

Roughly, you'll want three parts baking soda to one part citric acid. Sodium citrate has three sodium ions for each citric acid ion, and each baking soda molecule has one atom of sodium. For example, if you want 10 grams of sodium citrate, you'll combine 30 grams of baking soda with 10 grams of citric acid in a small amount of water. You'll see bubbling as carbon dioxide escapes, and you'll end up with a bit more water that is also generated by the reaction. The resultant liquid should taste salty but not sour.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Voodoofly posted:

Most good liquor stores sell it too as it’s common in a lot of sours

Oh, thank you. I will stop by a liquor store.

I got a merk pure min/max gamesmanship recipe I'm whipping up here.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm probably voting Bif. Outside of night action bingo, Bif isn't driving the game in any direction which is anti Bif town meta. Also,

Bifauxnen on Akay posted:

Lol ok I'm totally down with this now, no one should actually be able to tell I'm town yet

When Bif, as town, finds a scum tell that she believes in, she relentlessly badgers that person and everyone in the game to vote with her and any discourse outside of that thought line is ridiculed and rejected. She didn't do anything with this scum tell she 'found' besides point it out and then move on. That's not the town Bif I know (the one who was so convinced I was scum and couldn't get the game to agree after badgering us all for page after page that she day vigged me improperly in the last Cookfia).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Bif scum meta is to see a case like the one I just made and then start doing the badgering thing, so get ready ya'll.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Maerlyn posted:

Oh if it's your spice blend I'm not too concerned, I know what Parsley does so it's not really that much of a secret

Parsley makes you waste space on a plate for looks no one wants each night it is used

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

May your remaining game days be not as brief, but just as chill, neighbour

Are you murdering me?!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Voodoofly posted:

Do restaurants still put random sprigs of parsley on plates?

Because that is stupid and an affront to the amazingness of parsley in general.

Yes, especially steakhouses.

I have not used parsley in cooking ever. I always assumed it is a worthless green for people who don’t eat vegetables to think they are healthy because it is on the plate. Is parsley good? What is it even used for?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Voodoofly posted:

it's a green herb that is used in a lot of things.

Have you never had chimichurri?

Oh wow. I didn't realize chimichurri is parsley hahaha

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Now that I'm done with the coffee, everything that I will be cooking will be kid tested.

Sandicap posted:

Hey everyone, look, a new recipe just arrived.

Sub Rosa's Na3C6H5O7 Queso Blanco

12 oz Cheese (I go with Monterey Jack, but you do you)
1 Cup Liquid (Evaporated Milk or Beer or your choice)
1 1/2 Teaspoon Sodium Citrate (Na3C6H5O7)

Optional:
Green Chilies
2 Tablespoons Butter
Chorizo

Instructions:

Shred the cheese. Don't get the preshredded, it has all those anti-caking agents, we don't want that. Or don't shred it and just rip it into pieces, just smaller is easier to melt.

Warm your liquid on low/medium heat. Dissolve the Na3C6H5O7 in the liquid.

Then melt the cheese (and optional butter) in the liquid a handful at a time with constant stirring. If it is too thin, add more cheese. If it is too thick, add more of your liquid. When good, add a can of green chilies and/or some already cooked chorizo.

I don't have Na3C6H5O7:

Okay, so two options. Easier is substitute 1/4 to 100% of the cheese with a processed cheese because it already has emulsifying salts in it. So white American cheese or Velveeta.

Or you can science your own emulsifying salts!

Juice three limes, stir in 2-3 grams of baking soda into the juice. Let it react for at least five minutes. Then add your liquid of choice and you are good to go.

Sub Rosa's Na3C6H5O7 Queso Blanco is worth 25 points.

https://i.imgur.com/GEf4xok.mp4

Twists: Used evaporated milk instead of beer. Used block of 'queso' from the grocery store. Did not measure baking soda or lime juice to make sodium nitrate or whatever it is I don't even know I'm not a scientist.
Score: A+

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

Now that I'm done with the coffee, everything that I will be cooking will be kid tested.

https://i.imgur.com/GEf4xok.mp4

Twists: Used evaporated milk instead of beer. Used block of 'queso' from the grocery store. Did not measure baking soda or lime juice to make sodium nitrate or whatever it is I don't even know I'm not a scientist.
Score: A+

A couple pics didn't load (new twist, I forgot I added random butter):

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Going for the 2fer....

Sandicap posted:

Grandicap's Hand Pie is worth 30 points.

Use your stuff from the last recipe as a dip....

to make... merk's Mexican phyllo pies cups:

Ingredients
1lb ground beef
1 8oz pack of cream cheese (just do it; you ran on the treadmill this week, merk; you've earned it)
Rando amount of mexican blend cheese
1 pack of phyllo cups, the only kind available in United States grocery stores in the corn fed midwest
Rando amount of taco seasoning
1 onion, diced

Directions:
1. dice onion if you didn't read the ingredients list correctly
2. Throw onion in pan on medium heat
3. Throw meat in pan
4. Heat until meat is browned
5. You can throw your cream cheese in whenever. I did at the beginning.
6. Mix it up. It'll look disgusting.
7. Add the taco seasoning.
8. Add the cheese.
9. Keep going.
10. Oh crap, you should've preheat the oven to 350. Go do that back at step 1.
11. Scoop the blob meat thing into the phyllo cups. Top with more cheese.
12. Bake for 6 minutes.
13. Top with more cheese. Bake for 2-3 minutes.
14. Top with freshly cut jalapeno and cilantro (not in ingredient list. I'm not going back to fix it).
15. Give to your daughter without the jalapeno.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Pro tip: Make sure your opened garbage can is in every picture with your child. It adds ambiance.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Bif

I’ve cooked. Vote down. Sorry you rolled scum and got bingod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Commonly used in cocktails!