Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

quote:

From Sloclap, creators of acclaimed PS4 fighting game Absolver, Sifu follows a young kung fu student on a path of revenge, hunting for the murderers of his family. One against all, he has no allies and countless enemies. He will have to rely on his unique mastery of kung fu to prevail and preserve his family's legacy.

French studio Sloclap, the only studio to my knowledge to really try and bring somewhat legit, complex kung fu to video games, has released their new game Sifu. It's unique, fun, and no-joke difficult. That difficulty I think may inspire some discussion, I'm definitely interested to learn from better players about how to best play this game. Because to be honest, I am NOT GREAT and after two runs I struggle to finish the first level under 50 years old. Probably I just need more practice, like any neophyte kung fu master.

Also, the music is absolutely banging. They nailed it on that score, pun intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Sorry OP, I gave Absolver an enormous effort to try and like it but I have to say, it was a huge piece of poo poo. Not optimistic for this one. Is it coop? Multiplayer?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
This is on Epic Game Store for now, right? I don't have a strong preference for Steam games, so whatever.

From streamers on Twitch that I've seen play the game, Sifu seems to be pretty good and well liked. I might get this some day. I know I suck at these kind of fighting games though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just got this and did the first level at age 35, I think. Seems pretty cool. I tend to do great when I have a weapon and the enemies don't, but get my rear end kicked repeatedly in the opposite situation. Imagine that! Moves that knock enemies over seem really good.

I had no idea a female player character was an option, I watched a decent amount of prerelease footage and it exclusively showed the male PC.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I tried their previous game and it didn't work for me. I think a big reason for that was MP part, which always felt like you needed to metagame or be god-level from the start to not get rolled. This being SP suits it much better I think.

I just need to avoid those forward kicks that keep hoofing me into walls :argh:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ichabod Tane posted:

Sorry OP, I gave Absolver an enormous effort to try and like it but I have to say, it was a huge piece of poo poo. Not optimistic for this one. Is it coop? Multiplayer?

nope and nope. I've never played Absolver but I could tell it wasn't for me. A similar but better-looking, more grounded, single player experience, however, is way more up my alley.

Tirranek posted:

I tried their previous game and it didn't work for me. I think a big reason for that was MP part, which always felt like you needed to metagame or be god-level from the start to not get rolled. This being SP suits it much better I think.

I just need to avoid those forward kicks that keep hoofing me into walls :argh:

Agreed, I wouldn't play this if it were MP. No freaking way.

And for me my nemesis is the goddamned weapons. Always owning my poo poo. And timing the dodge is just really hard usually.

The Moon Monster posted:

I just got this and did the first level at age 35, I think. Seems pretty cool. I tend to do great when I have a weapon and the enemies don't, but get my rear end kicked repeatedly in the opposite situation. Imagine that! Moves that knock enemies over seem really good.

I had no idea a female player character was an option, I watched a decent amount of prerelease footage and it exclusively showed the male PC.

Yeah same with the weapons. They suck. I wish there was an easier way to get enemies to drop them.

And I went man because it just fits a little better for me especially with the whole Hong Kong action film vibe. But playing the lady might be fun too.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The game integrates some key elements of Sekiro as well, which is one of my favourite games. I actually really like the concept of a shorter game you can end up becoming amazing at.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I finished the first zone at age 64 or something. Not very good at this ... But it's fun and hella stylish.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

anatomi posted:

I finished the first zone at age 64 or something. Not very good at this ... But it's fun and hella stylish.

That was my first run too, like 62 I think it was.

Did a run through level one last night and did even worse I was above 60 when I reached the final boss. Then a fatal error closed the game which was disappoining. Not sure why but I must've gotten cute, I'm still trying to perfect parrying and dodging which is so so key but so difficult too.

By the way, do you need to choose an upgrade five times in the same run to permanently unlock it or can you spread it out through many runs? I assume many?

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

They kept all the best parts from Absolver and kinda went back to the basics with this one I think. Building a custom fighting style in Absolver was such an opaque process. They still a few of the same bad habits with a (maybe overly) stylish UI/UX that refuses to hold your hand in any way, but the fighting rules feel way more streamlined in Sifu. The soundtrack does, in fact, whip.

Really would be surprised if Sloclap didn't add a multiplayer through DLC or something in the near future. Something along the lines of a Souls game, I'm imagining.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I dont know what its like on other controllers but I like that they have flies buzzing and fans blowing through the dualsense speaker and haptics

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Managed to get to level two at 25 mostly by blind luck, but man when you get the hang of a certain enemy type you can just style on them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tirranek posted:

Managed to get to level two at 25 mostly by blind luck, but man when you get the hang of a certain enemy type you can just style on them.

you bastard. tell me your secret and/or surrender your life force to me

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Good gawd the second boss is nasty. I got my age down to 24 on my second run of the first zone, was at 27 immediately before the second boss, 67 afterwards.

The trick is to learn his combo strings and chain dodge them, but the execution is pretty tough. Getting the level score bonus that boosts your focus so you can get lots of focus moves after chain dodging is helpful.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'd appreciate the gimmick if levels weren't as long.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The first zone becomes very short when you've unlocked the shortcuts.

Dunno about the second zone because I haven't gotten past the initial club room lol.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, the first zone has a shortcut where you can basically go from spawn directly to the drug lab in like 20 seconds flat, completely circumventing the upper floors.

I'm liking this quite a bit so far, though it does feel hard as balls. I don't think I've quite gotten my head around the various defenses yet, the game uses Parry/Deflect/Avoid seemingly interchangeably but without really explaining what those are.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think deflect is block, parry is perfect block, and avoid is hold down block and tilt the stick at the right time to dodge the attack.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Going up into the Club's second story branch just to beat on the DJ and his hypebeasts will never not be satisfying.

Saving that last dragon shrine before Sean to reset my death counter seems to be the smart move, but I still can't quite get the block timing on P2 Sean

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the first zone has a shortcut where you can basically go from spawn directly to the drug lab in like 20 seconds flat, completely circumventing the upper floors.

Tell me how that works, how do you unlock it.

quote:

I'm liking this quite a bit so far, though it does feel hard as balls. I don't think I've quite gotten my head around the various defenses yet, the game uses Parry/Deflect/Avoid seemingly interchangeably but without really explaining what those are.

I totally agree. I just feel like they didn't explain that well enough and I'm still confused at how they work a little. Like, you have to time your dodges while blocking and you can dodge low or high attacks. I get that. You can't hold dodges, right?

Is it better to try and parry the first attack of a combo then block the rest? Dodge the rest? Parry them all? I guess I just haven't gotten the timing quite right. I'm usually too late because I'm trying to do it right when the strike hits me so the timing must be different than that.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

In general, I try to go towards parries. However, if my structure (why didn't they just call it posture?) is getting high, I try to use avoids since those will decrease it again. I also try to avoid attacks that are telegraphed by glowing limbs since those will deal massive structure damage, even on parry.

e: for those wondering about mechanics, check the lower left half of your collectible board. there's a tutorial hidden on some post-its there that explains parries, avoids and the aging system etc.

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 9, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

KonvexKonkav posted:

In general, I try to go towards parries. However, if my structure (why didn't they just call it posture?) is getting high, I try to use avoids since those will decrease it again. I also try to avoid attacks that are telegraphed by glowing limbs since those will deal massive structure damage, even on parry.

Avoid like hold the block button and hit the stick up or down, not like use the dodge right trigger correct?

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

i haven't beaten the game yet so y'know grains of salt but the high dodge seems suuuper important, especially when people with machetes show up. also everything that isn't extremely obviously a low can be high dodged, which was a little unexpected but certainly makes using it easier. it feels easier to do than parrying, but then again i guess parrying lets you gently caress up their structure or throw nerds over railings to instgib them, so who knows how it'll all shake out. i definitely started doing a lot better when i started doing a lot more dodging and less parrying though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There has never been a game more desperately in need of a Souls-esque R3 to lock on button.

It seems like the core sentence structure of the game is "grind out levels to unlock poo poo" -> "use shortcuts to skip the whole level once you've had enough" -> "play the next level at a younger age than you started last time."

It's not great but it is pretty rogue-lite and I guess that's what they were going for. OH and major ups to the music. This is exactly the kind of game I would normally mute music to put on something of my own and yeah the score is fantastic through and through.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 9, 2022

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Play posted:

Avoid like hold the block button and hit the stick up or down, not like use the dodge right trigger correct?

exactly! the right trigger dodge seems to be mostly for repositioning. avoids decrease your structure and give you the opportunity for a counter. BTW, the game doesn't tell you this directly, but you can avoid almost every attack by blocking and hitting the stick down or left or right, it seems to count like a down avoid either way. the only attacks that must be avoided by pressing up are sweeps.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah you can avoid to the left and right too, discovering this was a huge game changer for me. Still struggling on level 2 tho, I should probably just accept getting it through it at a high age for the first time. Only hit 32 on my first run through the first level, but with a death counter of like 5. Now I've got it down to 27 and 0 I think it's time to keep moving forward for now.

fnox
May 19, 2013

weekly font posted:

There has never been a game more desperately in need of a Souls-esque R3 to lock on button.

Holy poo poo this. I don't like how much kung fu I'm wasting on thin air because the game can't figure out which of the downed opponents I want to hold :(

KonvexKonkav posted:

exactly! the right trigger dodge seems to be mostly for repositioning. avoids decrease your structure and give you the opportunity for a counter. BTW, the game doesn't tell you this directly, but you can avoid almost every attack by blocking and hitting the stick down or left or right, it seems to count like a down avoid either way. the only attacks that must be avoided by pressing up are sweeps.

Yeah after figuring this out I got the first level down to 1 death. What you're really supposed to do is hold down L1 and avoid most attacks by pressing down, up if you see them coming, and tap if you're sure you have the timing down.

You can avoid attacks coming from behind you too, and since the game apparently doesn't have the concept of a mid you're going to be able to dodge just about everything that comes at you except for the specific low attacks like grabs and sweeps.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

thewizardofshoe posted:

Yeah you can avoid to the left and right too, discovering this was a huge game changer for me. Still struggling on level 2 tho, I should probably just accept getting it through it at a high age for the first time. Only hit 32 on my first run through the first level, but with a death counter of like 5. Now I've got it down to 27 and 0 I think it's time to keep moving forward for now.

So dodging to the left and right.... does it look different but do the exact same thing as dodging down? Or is it literally the same move?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Faffed around on first level, then hit age 21 on my first attempt using the shortcut. That felt nice.

Now stuck (and really stuck) on level 2 endboss, in that way where I think I know what I'm supposed to do, but am a long way from pulling it off.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Also someone please tell me how that shortcut in level 1 works, how do you activate that thing.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Play posted:

Also someone please tell me how that shortcut in level 1 works, how do you activate that thing.

Play through level 1 normally. Look around and you'll find the key to the locked gate that you see right at the start when you enter the apartments (before you go up the stairs).
Once you've got the key, any time you go into the level you can go through that gate instead which skips a large chunk of the level.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Alright, so I just discovered today that there are two endings. Beating the game gets you one ending.

To get the second ending you need to spare the bosses. You do this by breaking their structure in their second phase, backing off so they recover, then breaking it again. :allears:

Good to see that if the game isn't hard enough for you, you can shoot for the second ending instead :v:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

Play through level 1 normally. Look around and you'll find the key to the locked gate that you see right at the start when you enter the apartments (before you go up the stairs).
Once you've got the key, any time you go into the level you can go through that gate instead which skips a large chunk of the level.

ooooOOOoo no loving way. I could've done that last run just didn't know lol. that should help a lot, no matter how good you are in the rooms with a lot of enemies you are usually going to take damage

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How do you beat the poo poo out of downed people? Is there a certain location to trigger it? I remember during the tutorial you could sweep the leg and then punch face but now, during fights, I mash every button at every body part and just stand there like an rear end in a top hat waiting for them to get up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

weekly font posted:

How do you beat the poo poo out of downed people? Is there a certain location to trigger it? I remember during the tutorial you could sweep the leg and then punch face but now, during fights, I mash every button at every body part and just stand there like an rear end in a top hat waiting for them to get up.

Circle on PS5

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Glowing palm slap has been my nemesis today. Because the window for dodging is so short I've been thinking it didn't work. Once you get comfortable dodging the palm slap you have such a quicker time with minibosses.

Play posted:

you bastard. tell me your secret and/or surrender your life force to me

Honestly I think it's just Sekiro muscle memory. Sifu handles parries and stamina in a pretty similar way and parries seem to really punish anything that's not a special enemy.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 9, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Circle on PS5

you have to hold it too. I think?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Play posted:

you have to hold it too. I think?

That helps thanks.

In regards to comparing parry timing to Sekiro, I couldn't disagree more. It's a way funkier timing and I think you're intended to flow smoothly between L1 parry and dodging but it being on the same button and attacks being borderline impossible to read for me right now make that a very unlikely scenario.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I managed to get the second boss down at 40. Once you get the hang of dodging his stuff he's actually a lot easier than the turds right outside of his room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

For my part thanks to the tips I picked up today from you guys I beat the first boss at 26. And I'm sure I can take that down by three deaths at least, I got cocky in one of the rooms that has a lot of guys and didn't take my time properly.

The avoid is huge though. Sometimes I trigger the parry instead, and sometimes I gently caress them both up and just get a normal block, but either way that's a win.

Then I got through the club really easily up to the point past two easy big dudes where some ladies said betting is closed for the day. They looked like pushovers so I went straight to them expecting to knock them out quick but they... were not. They landed this move twice that is huge damage where they flip over a partition and come down heel first on your head. Whoops

Still, beating the first level so young and getting another permanent unlock is good progress for the day. You might not realize it but the game saves quite frequently, you can pretty much quit and take it up wherever you want even mid level.

Now I'm gonna play some slightly more chill stuff, this game makes me tired.