Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Play posted:

Now I'm gonna play some slightly more chill stuff, this game makes me tired.

I mentioned it in the beat em up thread, but this is pretty much why i returned it. I spent last summer trying to get good at SFV before i realized it was actually making my downtime more stressful. I understand the appeal of difficult games but drat how bout some difficulty settings??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i am going to die on the final boss when he has like two centimeters of stagger remaining and it's going to result in me trying to eat my controller like a haptic croissant

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How the everloving gently caress are you supposed to defend against someone wielding a staff ie the girl before Boss 2. Neither dodge or parry straight up loving work at all when you try to counter a staff with another staff. It's incredibly frustrating knowing that you are absolutely hitting the button and less than nothing is happening.

Is the staff just the worst weapon in the game period

e: Yeah I don't know I think it's just that whole run of mini bosses. I just lost 30 years to staff girl and the pair in the flaming room because dodging and parrying straight up stopped working. Time to stop for the night before I spike a controller

weekly font fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 9, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Play posted:

For my part thanks to the tips I picked up today from you guys I beat the first boss at 26. And I'm sure I can take that down by three deaths at least, I got cocky in one of the rooms that has a lot of guys and didn't take my time properly.

Congratulations, keep going and you'll be chumping them in no time.

I really, really love this game.

From watching other folks play and chatting a bit in a Sifu discord one thing I need to work on is using Focus attacks more - the heavy sweep in particular (unlockable, but in your top age bracket and only 500xp a shot from memory) is a great tool to either force engagement / take out high priority targets or just as a panic button to drop a dangerous opponent for a while to give you time to reposition / readjust. Someone made the point as well that the eye gouge focus attack works great as a combo extender, too, to help dish out more damage.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 9, 2022

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

weekly font posted:

How the everloving gently caress are you supposed to defend against someone wielding a staff ie the girl before Boss 2. Neither dodge or parry straight up loving work at all when you try to counter a staff with another staff. It's incredibly frustrating knowing that you are absolutely hitting the button and less than nothing is happening.

With staffs most of the time it's block + DOWN to dodge (unless it's a foot sweep, then it's a block + up). Also if you do a focus mode leg sweep that should make her drop her weapon.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

gently caress me what's the best way to best the big fat guys? They take decades away from me every time.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

symphoniccacophony posted:

With staffs most of the time it's block + DOWN to dodge (unless it's a foot sweep, then it's a block + up). Also if you do a focus mode leg sweep that should make her drop her weapon.

OK I keep going side to side so that would make sense why I’m just eating wood. When I try again tomorrow we’ll see if that works

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Guardbreaks - are they all undodgeable?

The staff lady and the guy before her on level two both throw out a bunch of guardbreaks and I tried dodging them over and over again without success. I got up to the second level boss and once I got his pattern down I was able to dodge all of his attacks like 80% of the time, so I'm pretty sure I understand the dodge timing and direction.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I asked in the beat-em-up thread but what is the way to speed up the fight against the Club boss? It takes so long by waiting to get in hits until after his combos and doing such paltry damage each time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

should i be interested in this as someone who loves sekiro to death but absolutely loathes fighting games of all stripes

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This game is really hard. I often feel like my avoids or blocks are simply inconsistent. Sekiro and all From games seem much finer tuned so everything works. Those games seem to intuitively know what the player means to do and makes it happen. This game doesn’t feel like it’s doing that and it’s a lot harder for it. Also, the time frame to see an attack and correctly react to it is often minuscule. I dunno. I’ve certainly improved a lot over the past two days, but it can be more frustrating than anything else I’ve ever played and I’m a huge lover of Owl boss fights here.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I also have no loving clue what the game wants from me or why various things dont work on certain enemies and am not enjoying level 2 very much.
I'll muddle through i suppose.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Lobok posted:

I asked in the beat-em-up thread but what is the way to speed up the fight against the Club boss? It takes so long by waiting to get in hits until after his combos and doing such paltry damage each time.

One way is to grab a staff from the racks at the sides of the room. You’ll still need to dodge his combos but I find the staff deals out more damage than regular punches.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I was struggling with this game as well but somehow caught someone live streaming a walkthrough / tips-based playthrough and watching him play through the first two levels suddenly made everything click.
Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lx0D-lx1ko , would suggest not watching past where you've gotten to for obvious reasons - some of the later levels are super cool visually.

General stuff I've learned:
- As folks have mentioned, using avoid (holding block and tapping / flicking up or down) is generally preferable to trying to parry attacks. Most attacks are high, so avoiding low can be a default; if you get hit with a sweep attack just try to remember the enemy / combo that did it.
- The Environmental Mastery unlockable skill is great because many fights tend to have tons of options to throw at people (chairs etc) beyond what you can pick up. Especially in group fights, there's no shame in using this to cheese enemies- instead of getting caught up in parrying and attacking all the time, if you have an opening, run around the stage a little bit and you'll probably find a few free options to hit enemies with
- You can vault over objects to put distance between yourself and the mob. A lot of times enemies will follow you over, and you can often get a free hit on them as they exit their vault
- Remember to use focus attacks, and try to unlock the sweep focus attack. Sweeps are really useful to control the pace of the fight and to disarm enemies with weapons. Doing the ground pound will also make you invincible for the duration, so it's a good way to get some time and assess the situation. Even the normal back+forward+heavy sweep will work on a lot of enemies.
- Avoiding the last hit in an enemy's combo will slow down time a little bit, after which you generally want to hit the enemy you avoided. From there you can follow up with a combo for damage, but you can also throw the enemy from that state (after an avoid + single hit); throws are useful in group fights to create space and stagger a bunch of enemies.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Lobok posted:

Try to weave in some parries. Not only do those structure damage by themselves but parrying/avoiding the bosses attacks and countering often enough occasionally staggers him and allows you to wail on him for a few seconds.

More importantly, get the skill that increases focus gain on parry/avoid and use your focus gauge whenever you can. The sweep focus skill is godlike as it not only deals decent damage, you can also regain some of your own structure while the boss is down. I used it whenever I had the meter.

For those struggling with the 2nd boss by the way, I'm up to the 5th level and the 2nd one was the hardest by far.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Another 2nd level tip: you don't have to fight the guys in the boxing gym, they just let you through if you tell them "I'm ready". Very useful if you try to optimize your performance against the 2nd boss.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Play posted:

Tell me how that works, how do you unlock it.

I totally agree. I just feel like they didn't explain that well enough and I'm still confused at how they work a little. Like, you have to time your dodges while blocking and you can dodge low or high attacks. I get that. You can't hold dodges, right?

Is it better to try and parry the first attack of a combo then block the rest? Dodge the rest? Parry them all? I guess I just haven't gotten the timing quite right. I'm usually too late because I'm trying to do it right when the strike hits me so the timing must be different than that.

Perhaps a bit late, but basically: Play the level as normal until you beat the two tattooed guys that give you the keys. Once you have those unlocked, you can use this shortcut in any following runs: At the start, climb over the fence and beat the two guys as normal. Go into the building, but instead of climbing up the wall, turn left through the doorway, keep left, and unlock the glass double doors. Go through those, follow the alley, and after one more fight against three people you should reach the drug lab.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Perestroika posted:

Perhaps a bit late, but basically: Play the level as normal until you beat the two tattooed guys that give you the keys. Once you have those unlocked, you can use this shortcut in any following runs: At the start, climb over the fence and beat the two guys as normal. Go into the building, but instead of climbing up the wall, turn left through the doorway, keep left, and unlock the glass double doors. Go through those, follow the alley, and after one more fight against three people you should reach the drug lab.

Is it just me or do you get 1 fewer shrine using this shortcut?

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
also this game loving owns, god drat

I just beat the 2nd level boss on what I think was my 6th try, after going back to l1 to change my shrine build, it was cool as hell

would be good to get some rough info on the OP for prospective players on the continue/respawn mechanic, metaprogression, and that the moment to moment gameplay fucks hard

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
any else playing around with the photo mode?

show me what you got

here's a shot of mine minor lv3 environment art spoiler

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

Is it just me or do you get 1 fewer shrine using this shortcut?

Could be? I only found one before the drug lab in the default route, and you also get one through the shortcut. But it's quite possible I missed one on the former.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

should i be interested in this as someone who loves sekiro to death but absolutely loathes fighting games of all stripes

Can only speak for myself but this game reminds me of Sekiro a lot. It treats posture in a similar way, kicks your rear end but is consistent enough that when you learn an enemy's patterns properly you'll put them down super quick. The main difference is you need to pick the correct defensive move for the situation.

Seen some disagree with the comparison but for me it feels apt.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 9, 2022

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Perestroika posted:

Could be? I only found one before the drug lab in the default route, and you also get one through the shortcut. But it's quite possible I missed one on the former.

without the shortcut there's one after the fight on the roof after which our hero says "the warehouse, I'm close" or similar and another in the room with the two shirtless guys where you get to say "I'm just here for the workout" before clowning on them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

trigger9631 posted:

One way is to grab a staff from the racks at the sides of the room. You’ll still need to dodge his combos but I find the staff deals out more damage than regular punches.

I used up all of them on his first stage!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This is going to be my favourite game for the next two weeks. Made some inroads into the museum but my best run at da club is age 54 lol so I was really just poking my head in for some xp and forward knowledge before I go back and break this firey rear end in a top hat's face as a younger man.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Man it's a great feeling when the staff lady and kickboxing duo crumple. Seems like you only need to dodge two of their combos to get enough damage in.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I made it to the third boss, then decided I needed a better starting age so I went back and 0 deathed the first level, that was neat. The first boss is kind of a joke once you have the hang of the game. I feel like you don't really want to use the shortcuts that make you miss shrines, since the shrine powerups are so powerful.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The annoying thing about redoing a stage is that you can't change your shrine choices without beating that stage at a lower age, so if you no-death the level(s) you're forever locked into what you did at the shrines unless you start a brand new game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

any else playing around with the photo mode?

show me what you got

Didn't even realise it had one until you mentioned this so thank you! I also took some shots of Stage 3 which gets very creative visually - am spoilering them in case anyone wants to preserve that first time feeling:

Also this guy is dead af

Managed to beat Stage 3 first try, even with all the photos, racking up those sweet sweet EXP points...at 71 years of age, so I can't buy any upgrades fml

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
This game rules. The first time I fought those skull guys they took ten years.

Catharsis
https://i.imgur.com/ldlr0kn.mp4

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Btw I managed to beat Stage 2 boss with no death, so my tips for those struggling is:

Phase 1 - afaik, all his attacks are high, so stand still, dodge low up to 4 times, then hit with a short, quick combo.

Phase 2 - he starts mixing in a low attack, but only during the first two hits of a combo. So to make it easy, block the first two hits of any combo, and repeatedly dodge the following high attacks (you'll regain your stance bar by dodging), and do quick combos when you can. He likes to dash back without completing his combo, if you have the dash forward kick you can try to chase him but the safe, steady, guaranteed victory play is to just wait some more until he commits to a combo finisher before trying to do your attacks.

The trickiest move is that his wild upwards swing seems to be ever so slightly slower and it seems like it only comes as attack 4 onwards, so I recommend just holding off on the dodge until the last possible second.

This method can be slow, but I've done it a few times in a row now, because I wanted to go into stage 3 with no more than 5 lives lost. Yes, I can kill the boss consistently, but also gently caress the two assholes before him.

EDIT: Just quick correction to say that I beat the Stage 2 boss with no death, not the entirety of stage 2. Missed that word "boss" in the opening sentence at the top originally

Artelier fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 9, 2022

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are

Lobok posted:

The annoying thing about redoing a stage is that you can't change your shrine choices without beating that stage at a lower age, so if you no-death the level(s) you're forever locked into what you did at the shrines unless you start a brand new game.

Is this confirmed? I thought I saw somewhere that the following stage will always keep your lowest life count, but that your shrine choices will carry over from your most recent clear regardless of age. I can’t say for certain and can’t test this out until later. The overlapping systems are pretty obtuse regardless.

I am loving this game though. Finally cleared the 2nd stage boss after probably 15 attempts. Picking up ground parry, focus regen and strong sweep were huge game changers against him for anyone struggling.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Okay, I have an interesting question for you all. A lot of fighting just involves moving smoothly from defense to offense.

Say you parry an attack, or dodge the final attack in a combo and the enemy is ripe for attacking.

What is the combo that will do the MOST damage the FASTEST? As it is I just kind mash poo poo randomly, usually starting with a quick attack but ending with one or two strong attacks. But I'm wondering if there isn't a better strategy there, some combo that is most effective.

symphoniccacophony posted:

Yeah I THINK I permanently unlocked the leg sweep focus mode.

It's kind of annoying because I"m hamstringing myself since I usually just go straight for one thing over and over to try and unlock it. You have to do it in the same run, if you go back to the same level you started without getting all 5 it'll go back to needing 5 to unlock.

That's one of the weirder systems in the game, tbh.

Grem posted:

gently caress me what's the best way to best the big fat guys? They take decades away from me every time.

There's different types of fat guys, best way is weapons obviously, leg sweep is good, apart from that get in some hits then get further away and prepare to avoid/dodge. Their grabs and most of their hits ignore block so avoiding/dodging is important.

(To be clear, in my nomenclature AVOID is when you are blocking and move the left stick, DODGE is using the right trigger to actually create distance).

Ciaphas posted:

It's a LOT like Sekiro and not very much like a fighting game. It's like a 3D beat em up Sekiro-like

Artelier posted:

Btw I managed to beat Stage 2 with no death, so my tips for those struggling is:

Phase 1 - afaik, all his attacks are high, so stand still, dodge low up to 4 times, then hit with a short, quick combo.

Phase 2 - he starts mixing in a low attack, but only during the first two hits of a combo. So to make it easy, block the first two hits of any combo, and repeatedly dodge the following high attacks (you'll regain your stance bar by dodging), and do quick combos when you can. He likes to dash back without completing his combo, if you have the dash forward kick you can try to chase him but the safe, steady, guaranteed victory play is to just wait some more until he commits to a combo finisher before trying to do your attacks.

The trickiest move is that his wild upwards swing seems to be ever so slightly slower and it seems like it only comes as attack 4 onwards, so I recommend just holding off on the dodge until the last possible second.

This method can be slow, but I've done it a few times in a row now, because I wanted to go into stage 3 with no more than 5 lives lost. Yes, I can kill the boss consistently, but also gently caress the two assholes before him.

Someone mentioned it but also THERE ARE STAFFS on the walls of the arena. Multiple. Get them to make it a much quicker job.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Play posted:

Yeah I THINK I permanently unlocked the leg sweep focus mode.

It's kind of annoying because I"m hamstringing myself since I usually just go straight for one thing over and over to try and unlock it. You have to do it in the same run, if you go back to the same level you started without getting all 5 it'll go back to needing 5 to unlock.

This isn't true, if you buy say 3/5 of a permanent unlock, next game you have to buy the temporary unlock and then the other 2/5

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

This isn't true, if you buy say 3/5 of a permanent unlock, next game you have to buy the temporary unlock and then the other 2/5

Are you sure that isn't just if you're moving from one level to the next, which is basically counted as the same 'run'? Pretty sure I noticed that I got one down to 3x purchase unlock then when I started first level again it was at 5x purchaser unlock.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DuffMayhem posted:

Is this confirmed? I thought I saw somewhere that the following stage will always keep your lowest life count, but that your shrine choices will carry over from your most recent clear regardless of age. I can’t say for certain and can’t test this out until later. The overlapping systems are pretty obtuse regardless.

I've seen people specifically checking and keeping track, I'm taking them at their word. I don't pay enough attention or remember my shrine choices to have confirmed it personally.

Play posted:

Okay, I have an interesting question for you all. A lot of fighting just involves moving smoothly from defense to offense.

Say you parry an attack, or dodge the final attack in a combo and the enemy is ripe for attacking.

What is the combo that will do the MOST damage the FASTEST? As it is I just kind mash poo poo randomly, usually starting with a quick attack but ending with one or two strong attacks. But I'm wondering if there isn't a better strategy there, some combo that is most effective.

It kinda depends on the enemy and how quickly they will recover to start blocking you mid-combo but if I have the opportunity to go ham on one person at a time I'll do that combo that goes Heavy Heavy Light Heavy (it ends up doubling them over and you elbow them in the back of the head to put them down) and then I will beat them on the ground until they get up and if I have Focus I'll do one of those attacks to do damage and open them back up again. I haven't unlocked any of the Chase moves yet though so those would also be great for easily extending a combo.

EDIT: Assuming there's nothing around you. Because the best thing to do is knock them into a wall or off a ledge. Almost all your moves and combo strings have either knockback or knockdown so if you have an opening and you can send them into something that's the best bang for your buck. The Light Light Heavy combo is bread and butter for that.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 9, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is there a way to throw people off of/out of things. There are so many juicy ledges and windows that dont have breakable glass that look great for human consumption. Plus there’s the throw a guy into the fountain achievement which I assume is for the museum and I have no idea how to make that happen.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lobok posted:

It kinda depends on the enemy and how quickly they will recover to start blocking you mid-combo but if I have the opportunity to go ham on one person at a time I'll do that combo that goes Heavy Heavy Light Heavy (it ends up doubling them over and you elbow them in the back of the head to put them down) and then I will beat them on the ground until they get up and if I have Focus I'll do one of those attacks to do damage and open them back up again. I haven't unlocked any of the Chase moves yet though so those would also be great for easily extending a combo.

EDIT: Assuming there's nothing around you. Because the best thing to do is knock them into a wall or off a ledge. Almost all your moves and combo strings have either knockback or knockdown so if you have an opening and you can send them into something that's the best bang for your buck. The Light Light Heavy combo is bread and butter for that.

Awesome! That's a good submission, gonna give that combo a try, it does sound pretty high-damage just based on your description. A lot of the attacks, both player and enemy, scale to kind of exactly what you'd expect. So if it looks painful it probably is, if it looks weak it probably is. Which is cool.

weekly font posted:

Is there a way to throw people off of/out of things. There are so many juicy ledges and windows that dont have breakable glass that look great for human consumption. Plus there’s the throw a guy into the fountain achievement which I assume is for the museum and I have no idea how to make that happen.

Light Light Heavy can push enemies back, there's also an unlockable thing where a parried enemy can be grabbed and moved somewhat, as well as I think one where an attacking enemy can be sent behind you. Haven't tried the second two though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lobok posted:

Yeah, that's my go-to big damage combo as well. If I'm more pressed and have less time, I usually go for light-light-heavy. It's quick enough to let you finish it fairly often, and the final push kick usually pushes them so far that they're nearly guaranteed to slam into a wall or another enemy. I also like the unlockable heavy-heavy-pause-heavy roundhouse kick as a midpoint between the two, it's got solid damage, prones the enemy, and can hit additional targets as well.

Also gotta echo the earlier tip that avoiding (i.e. block + high/low) is basically kind defensively, much better than trying to parry most of the time. The timing is more generous, it doesn't cost any structure, mistiming it usually means you still block, and works against armed enemies much better. Leaning on that rather than parrying let me manage the first level at just 22 years, much better than my first attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Play posted:

Are you sure that isn't just if you're moving from one level to the next, which is basically counted as the same 'run'? Pretty sure I noticed that I got one down to 3x purchase unlock then when I started first level again it was at 5x purchaser unlock.

Yeah, it's cheaper to do it all in one run though since the initial unlock doesn't count towards the permanent unlock. So if you do it all in one run you need to pay the exp price 6 times, 7 times over two runs, 8 times over three etc.

weekly font posted:

Throw is one of your basic moves but it's conditional (enemy has to be "stunned") so I never remember to use it in the heat of the moment. It's x+a on an XBox controller. I'd imagine launching them with a palm strike would also count.