Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I need to take a trip to Canada this year, probably sometime in the next few weeks (thinking the last few days of March). Looks like Air Canada will be the airline. As I go thru the booking process, they of course offer travel insurance. I'm thinking it might be good to purchase in case border crossing laws tighten up with the pandemic situation. Should I just go with one of the offered packages, or seek out something different? Here's what they offer:

"Air" plan

"Air Plus" plan

"Air Luxe" plan

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Don't.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

I bought Travel Insurance a few times and tried to cash in on it twice. Once when the airline had a critically broken plane and I had to stay the night, and once when a super bad blizzard grounded flights for 2 days. I have realized zero benefits from it. It is 100% a scam.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I would check your credit card benefits first. Some offer travel insurance which would be better than what the airline offers

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I bought Travel Insurance a few times and tried to cash in on it twice. Once when the airline had a critically broken plane and I had to stay the night, and once when a super bad blizzard grounded flights for 2 days. I have realized zero benefits from it. It is 100% a scam.

That reminds me of the time I tried to claim a benefit for the on-time guarantee of the Spanish railway. I said "hey, look, we're over 90 minutes late. The rules say I get a discount if we're over 90 minutes late."

"No, sir, that's only if the problem is our fault. This was the fault of the people maintaining the tracks."

At least I didn't pay for the privilege of being told to gently caress off.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I used to work in travel insurance a while ago and there's only a few situations I found it valuable for ppl.

Putting together a big trip with non refundable purchases and you wanna cover everything if your dumbass kid breaks a leg and you can't do Disney World anymore or meemaw kicks the bucket

Medical evacuation coverage if you're going on a remote trip. That said, you better have a high dollar limit credit card, cuz this coverage is almost always paying you back after the fact.

The airline losing your luggage for days and you want some clothes and poo poo reimbursed (your credit card usually has some sort of coverage for this already).

It's a requirement from whatever tour company you're booking a safari or like, Andes expedition through.

That's about it. It's pretty much just peace of mind coverage for old ppl that will never actually use it.

Edit: the coverage offered through an airline or whatever is almost always trash. If you want travel insurance, it's almost always better to shop elsewhere. You probably don't need it if you have to wonder if you need it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I guess (semi) dangerous sports is a case for insurance too. Don't know about skiing but as a scuba diver you really don't want to pay to be airlifted to a decompression chamber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Strategic Tea posted:

I guess (semi) dangerous sports is a case for insurance too. Don't know about skiing but as a scuba diver you really don't want to pay to be airlifted to a decompression chamber

I view "travel insurance" (insurance that covers poo poo going wrong on your vacation, like being stuck overnight due to a cancelled flight or so) as separate from "medical insurance for when you're travelling." The latter is probably a more reasonable choice.