Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

hahaha i can run an SEM+arty army with Cathay now, it's fantastic

Celestial general + gare guardian or w/e the new hero is can make for some incredibly strong jade warrior armies between red lines, yellow lines, and research now. Cheap as hell as well. Like punching up into WoC territory for a fraction of the cost good by mid game. It's honestly completely busted for Zhao's faction, but still great for any other ones. Best part is you can mix and match the various types of jade warriors and then sprinkle in other units for spice. Insanely effective core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I wonder if that mod plays nice with OvN's Citadel of Dusk.

it doesn't break anything but you can't confederate minors. My dreams of teclis VCO are dashed.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
pity about the construct thing but 80% of cathay's roster would S-tier if that stuff wasn't nerfed. If cathay gets easy life magic same deal.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

TaintedBalance posted:

Celestial general + gare guardian or w/e the new hero is can make for some incredibly strong jade warrior armies between red lines, yellow lines, and research now. Cheap as hell as well. Like punching up into WoC territory for a fraction of the cost good by mid game. It's honestly completely busted for Zhao's faction, but still great for any other ones. Best part is you can mix and match the various types of jade warriors and then sprinkle in other units for spice. Insanely effective core.

Hire 10 Gate Guardians and your jade troops can be free, apparently. Man I've really missed all the tricks on my Yuan Bo campaign...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Crossposting from CoH3 thread:

News: https://x.com/relicgames/status/1773244490171458017?s=20

Considering how badly CoH3 fared and the whole CA thing with Hyenas and it bleeding into WH3, I was somewhat expecting bad news from Relic first. But that expectation was that they would be shuttered, so if anything I guess everyone got out of this as best as they could?

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

toasterwarrior posted:

Considering how badly CoH3 fared and the whole CA thing with Hyenas and it bleeding into WH3, I was somewhat expecting bad news from Relic first. But that expectation was that they would be shuttered, so if anything I guess everyone got out of this as best as they could?

How bad it fared? I haven't been keeping up with drama, what was its issue?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
from my experience as a dude who primarily cared about the single player campaign: the moment to moment gameplay was fun and good ole COH, but the campaign itself was wildly buggy and very half-baked. even then, i waited for them to get their big campaign revamp out before going for a real run, and while it was greatly improved, i was shocked at just how quickly it can wrap up and how comparatively less it had to offer in terms of spectacle and challenge.

the multiplayer, i cant comment, and it's hard to filter out the perennial whiners because of the uh, questionable aspects of the fanbase. the goon crew here did not seem to take to it long enough though

it's a shame, i think the core gameplay is very solid but the one thing i was hoping to draw me in does not have nearly enough substance to keep me going nor bring me back

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

toasterwarrior posted:

Sega is claiming that they sold Relic, Relic had no say in the matter.

https://twitter.com/genki_jpn/status/1773258213963547078

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
hey, it beats being shuttered outright, which is what i was expecting considering their performance over the years

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Jeez, the person I know in QA at CA almost got fired during the last round of layoffs, as far as he knew he was fired but then a few hours later they said "oh no, you aren't actually" and he got put on a different project (I assume from Hyena to a Total War project) but now he has actually been let go for real. Depressing seeing someone's linkedin "hey if anyone knows any roles going let me know please" message twice in 4 months from being laid off from the same job.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, Relic hasn't been Relic for a decade or more. None of the people who worked on their classic hits are still there. It's just a name at this point, no practical connection to the good titles of the past beyond owning the IP.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's going to poetic if wh3 gets canceled after tamurkhan.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
According to legend of total war (grain of salt, obviously), they still have half a dozen DLCs planned, and Sega is supposedly breathing down their neck to focus exclusively on total war after the Hyenas debacle

If CA survives long enough, all hopes are probably pinned on Total War: 40k doing well

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah I'd assume there's one DLC planned for each monogod + DoW at the very least. Remember that WH2 only got uhhhh 3? years of support or so

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It's going to poetic if wh3 gets canceled after tamurkhan.

lol that'd be legit amazing. Tamurkhan, twice-ender of Warhammer Fantasy :allears:

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Bohemian Nights posted:

According to legend of total war (grain of salt, obviously), they still have half a dozen DLCs planned, and Sega is supposedly breathing down their neck to focus exclusively on total war after the Hyenas debacle

If CA survives long enough, all hopes are probably pinned on Total War: 40k doing well

I can see Sega wanting CA to make what they are good at, but lmao at Legendoftotalwar saying the new historical Total War set in 19th century and spanning the globe was supposed to come out this year but got delayed to 2026, also that Total War 40k was brought forwards to launch next year. He is talking out of his rear end.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

How many times has he quit wh3 in disgust now?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

wait are we getting a 40k tw???

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Aside from demonstrating that Legend would be a poor hire because he doesn't believe in NDAs(if he actually has an insider then they're probably getting their rear end lit on fire for this) I'd say it's a very fair assumption that if a TW40K isn't already on the way then it is being heavily brainstormed and prototyped. No matter how many people will dash in with "actually, the squad based gameplay can't support..." it's really the only profitable path forward with GW IPs and if they deliver a full product nobody will care about that nerd argument. It's not even an enormous ask on the current TWWH engine!

Well, there is another path with GW but 40K is definitely the path of least resistance. TW:Age of Sigmar could work but competing with your own audience and with a steeper hole to climb out of is gonna be harder any way it's done and only succeed by pure force of quality considering how AoS games have been received so far.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

StrixNebulosa posted:

wait are we getting a 40k tw???

No, people just keep saying it because they think it'll make it happen.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's going to happen, but the idea that it's going to happen next year is completely absurd.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

It's going to happen, but the idea that it's going to happen next year is completely absurd.

People have been saying it's going to happen since WH1 came out.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

not a bot posted:

I can see Sega wanting CA to make what they are good at, but lmao at Legendoftotalwar saying the new historical Total War set in 19th century and spanning the globe was supposed to come out this year but got delayed to 2026, also that Total War 40k was brought forwards to launch next year. He is talking out of his rear end.

He is not talking out of his rear end, he's just discussing what has been leaked to him by who knows whom in the company, and the updated information he is getting and gleaning from it. He probably chats with a combination of CS/CM people, QA people, and whatever production people decided they liked him more than their bosses. Plus the various people let go in the multiple waves of layoffs that have an ax to grind and someone more than willing to burn bridges discussing the matter. This is all extremely common and pretty loving annoying to deal with, having had to deal with these insider leaks on projects I've worked on in the past. Community tester programs are always double-edged swords, and this is one aspect of that coming back at you.

Anyone who takes what he says on these issues as the gospel truth is an idiot, in no small part because LoTW himself puts a ton of disclaimers on what he discusses here, but also because he very clearly doesn't have direct access to the knowledge. If he did, heads would absolutely roll, but a lot of this is likely coming from heads that were already rolling. But he is openly taking a bunch of different information from different sources and synthesizing what he can out of that. It has pieces of the truth in it from different points in time and different perspectives.

And most importantly of all, its fun gossip.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

TaintedBalance posted:

He is not talking out of his rear end, he's just discussing what has been leaked to him by who knows whom in the company, and the updated information he is getting and gleaning from it. He probably chats with a combination of CS/CM people, QA people, and whatever production people decided they liked him more than their bosses. Plus the various people let go in the multiple waves of layoffs that have an ax to grind and someone more than willing to burn bridges discussing the matter. This is all extremely common and pretty loving annoying to deal with, having had to deal with these insider leaks on projects I've worked on in the past. Community tester programs are always double-edged swords, and this is one aspect of that coming back at you.

Anyone who takes what he says on these issues as the gospel truth is an idiot, in no small part because LoTW himself puts a ton of disclaimers on what he discusses here, but also because he very clearly doesn't have direct access to the knowledge. If he did, heads would absolutely roll, but a lot of this is likely coming from heads that were already rolling. But he is openly taking a bunch of different information from different sources and synthesizing what he can out of that. It has pieces of the truth in it from different points in time and different perspectives.

I mean he also very openly admitted that the last leaks he got and talked about (WRT the patched SOC additions) were completely wrong so even if he has sources clearly they are not all reliable

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

orangelex44 posted:

People have been saying it's going to happen since WH1 came out.

They were right, and it will, just not until this series is over.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'd pay 30 bucks for a norsca dlc update with a few new units/campaign mechanics.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Azran posted:

lol that'd be legit amazing. Tamurkhan, twice-ender of Warhammer Fantasy :allears:
I don't believe it will happen, but who knows. All I know is it would be hilarious that this keeps happening.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

TaintedBalance posted:

Yes, he knows someone from CA and hears some things and makes the rest up to provide some sort of coherent story. I think my favourite thing recently was him saying that CA will not return to giving out FLC legendary lords with DLCs. A few days after that CA puts up the "what you can expect from Thrones of Decay" post which says it will come with a FLC lord. Legendoftotalwar immediately says that he knew that and his sources say it's a Nurgle lord.

Leaking is one thing, hearing some stuff and making up the rest is another. I don't think it even counts as gossip.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
An extra free Nurgle legendary lord on top of a paid legendary lord and new legendary hero just seems unfeasible to me. How many variations of "fat diseased bloke" can there be, I guess we'll get Tammy and the Toad dragon, maybe Epidemius, but what else could there even be?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Marmaduke! posted:

An extra free Nurgle legendary lord on top of a paid legendary lord and new legendary hero just seems unfeasible to me. How many variations of "fat diseased bloke" can there be, I guess we'll get Tammy and the Toad dragon, maybe Epidemius, but what else could there even be?

It's finally time for the Great Clean One to arrive.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's finally time for the Great Clean One to arrive.

Watching Baron Harkonnen trundle around the field is strangely satisfying

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
we have to respect his time because he was in the makeup chair for like 8 hours before taking the field. Really, really fine demon.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
"Total war 40k is probably happening" and "total war, as it's currently designed, can't do the kind of warfare depicted in 40k" are BOTH true statements.

A 40k total war is almost certainly being worked on AND will likely be a large departure from what Total War currently looks like.

You may even see a more modern historical title show up that is going to use the same tech, most likely WW2, though who is to say whether it will be before or after 40k.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'd pay 30 bucks for a norsca dlc update with a few new units/campaign mechanics.

glad to see you still have a job at sega! hang in there buddy!!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am excited for total war iraq

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Doomykins posted:

Aside from demonstrating that Legend would be a poor hire because he doesn't believe in NDAs(if he actually has an insider then they're probably getting their rear end lit on fire for this) I'd say it's a very fair assumption that if a TW40K isn't already on the way then it is being heavily brainstormed and prototyped. No matter how many people will dash in with "actually, the squad based gameplay can't support..." it's really the only profitable path forward with GW IPs and if they deliver a full product nobody will care about that nerd argument. It's not even an enormous ask on the current TWWH engine!

Well, there is another path with GW but 40K is definitely the path of least resistance. TW:Age of Sigmar could work but competing with your own audience and with a steeper hole to climb out of is gonna be harder any way it's done and only succeed by pure force of quality considering how AoS games have been received so far.

Why would TW:AoS be "competing with your own audience?"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I would not trust CA to fix all their engine quirks for a 40k or modern warfare style game, just think of all the reasons you are discouraged for bringing gunners that fire straight shots either because of game mechanics or annoying pathfinding as they walk back and forth and into melee range without firing, then multiply that by a thousand.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 31, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
On the flip side, age of sigmar has zero cultural penetration and they'd have to work a lot harder to get people through the door, even if the game would probably be easier to make

I don't know if CA is actually up to the task of making a good 40k: total war, but enough people would probably still pick it up on brand recognition alone

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Eschatos posted:

Why would TW:AoS be "competing with your own audience?"

There's a significant amount of overlap between Warhammer Fantasy and AoS since they're both fantasy games with dragons, magic, swords, bows, etc. And also a lot of the characters are the same, so if you like Nagash or Skaven you're likely to enjoy both franchises. 40k has significantly less overlap since it's sci-fi, there's vehicles, it's much darker in tone, everyone has guns, etc.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I think the original point was that Total Warhammer : AOS would, at least in the minds of GW execs, be cannibalizing AOS miniature sales. Little Joe could go out and buy Nagash for $80* and maybe have something in a week of painting/assembling that looks cool but isn't even enough to play a whole tabletop game. Or they could pay 70$** for a video game that includes Death, Destruction, Chaos, and Order armies.

*source: my bum/desire to quote a price that is ridiculous, but still not high enough

**not counting the price of a computer, peripherals, internet connection etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They'll just cycle back around again and make Total War: The Old World.