Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Randarkman posted:

It's specifically the Slaanesh marauders, normal marauders are probably fine.
Yeah, the basic blessing for Nurgle is like...5 melee def and some hp in exchange for lower attack and speed, compared to the Slaanesh blessing's suite of great abilities with 0 downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Right now I'm torn between the following for my first IE game:
- Ghorst: Never played him! New starting area! Zombies! And VC were the first faction I tried in TWW2 before I knew what I was doing so it would be fun to do the same thing with 3
- Rakarth: Never played him! New starting area! And he's right next to the jungle to get a shitload of carnosaurs now
- Something Nurgle: Never played it! Nurgle!
- Mazdamundi: My last ME save was a unified Lustria game, so it'd be a neat thing to try again now that the frog god also has +50% range on spells, and some access to barrier in the faction's troops

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

A Ghorst thing to probably also keep in mind is that the auto-resolve still considers zombies to be lower than dirt based on what I've seen on people's streams, so odds are good that an AI Ghorst has been obliterated long before you'll get anywhere near him.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Do you think Dread Indy Babylon named himself and went looking for the mask or found the mask and said "this is me now"

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I don't watch any live-livestreams but lionheartx10 chops his up into 45m-1h chunks on youtube and is pretty good. Chill dude, standard VH/VH starts, has 3 or 4 different series/campaigns running at any given time (right now he's finishing up a Kislev game from base tww3, and just started a Be'Lakor IE game and a Valkia one based on popular vote soon after).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Rakarth's new start loving blows so far lmao, doomstack of anti-large just off shore to fight of the "knock them over to move on" lizardmen.

Also extremely buggy, half his abilities require unit-targeting on the field (not from the pane) which makes un-rampaging your dinos kinda lovely!

Also:

Trying desperately to enjoy it, may concede and Ghorst it up.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm playing Festus right now and I think part of why he takes over so much of his local regions so quickly is because he's surrounded by mud farmers with sticks who love to crowd up on the guy who can toggle from "constant massive ally regen" to "constant enemy damage over time" and break the second he goes from happy potion to frowny potion.

Related: Christ I love winning a Decisive Defeat autoresolve by sticking big green in the middle of a field while a bunch of marauders sit on a hillside dreaming of becoming real boys someday.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Randarkman posted:

I think the consensus is probably on Festus. Lore of Nurgle is pretty good, Nurgle warriors and chosen are top notch, AI Empire just doesn't comprehend armor and how to defeat and you have the tankiest of boys, also there's Festus himself who's a no-contact required mortis engine (and a stronger one at that) that can be toggled over to an AOE healing aura at will. His only downside on the campaign side of things is that he doesnt have starting access to a Norscan vassal, though if one wanted one could subjugate Hochland or the nearby Greenskins I'm pretty sure by taking their last settlement.

In multiplayer he's by far the strongest.

e: Technically Belakor is a new Warriors of Chaos guy also, and he's just pure filth. So just in terms of pure power you could say him, he's basically a one man doomstack.
Conversely I had a hell of a time on a Festus start; he's nowhere near vassals so your economy is in the shitter, your mark is "just be a slow piece of poo poo who doesn't die," it felt like dark fortresses were few and far between, and you're in the middle of the usual northern empire slapfight anyone who played Drycha or VC in ME knows all too well. His actual fighting stats were good (switching from healing aura to damage aura is a 'watch everyone in melee with you break' button early on) but once I got to the tactical map it was just death.

But I tried a Vilitch start tonight and it feels like the easy mode I've always wanted, as an idiot who is bad at this game: You start in a corner of the map with impassable terrain to the south (but you have teleport stance so "impassable to Whom" is the question), you get a vassal by turn 2, you start near 4 dark fortresses, 3 of which I got by around a dozen turns, and all the pissed off Cathayans to my south can offer is archers who are weak against all my armoured-and-barriered marked marauders and knights. Also you start with a unit of flying cavalry and a Metal Lore chaos sorc (for their amazingly good weapon buff lore passive + an early vortex spell). Also-also Vilitch himself via Tzeentch lore has a nice aoe leadership/melee attack debuff as early as level 4 which synergizes well with his strategy of "just stand in the middle of guys and laugh and yell at Thomin." ESPECIALLY once you get barrier regen.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

God drat, after a brutal slog I successfully defended Turtle Gate from 2 stacks of Miao's armies including the big dragon herself, and now I have a frankly absurd amount for Vilitch to feed to Tzeench. That really good feeling of auto-resolve's pyrrhic victory being "you lose everything but your named dudes" and your actual pyrrhic victory being "you lost a couple pink horrors and some marauders, all of whom you replaced the following turn instantly."

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I've seen Jiang Shi / hopping vampires name-dropped as a minor rebel faction in Cathay in my Vilitch game, so that could be an interesting addition for the Cathay vs VC. I could really go for another monstrous faction-but-not-the-faction (like how Drycha is for wood elves), maybe for Ogre Kingdoms since they have such limited options and pretty similar base unit flavor? Looking at a wiki I see the, dear god, "Yhetee" are "a race of large, bipedal ice-beast that inhabits the sub-zero peaks of the Eastern Lands, a distant cousin to the Ogres of today. " and are associated with the Dark Lands, which might be a great opportunity to flesh that out alongside the Chaos Dwarves.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm happy to be wrong, but in all seriousness, has there been anything to suggest that this is even on the table?
The giant impassable and unused terrain chunks in Immortal Empires where Ind and Khuresh are, are the biggest indicators to me. Couple that with TWW1 adding 4 factions entirely with DLC, TWW2 adding...2? 3? and enough dlc lords to essentially make a faction or two out of all the additions, and there's more than enough room on the map and in TWW3's white space of design for it.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I just want snakemen (legally distinct from lizardmen) :/

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Doomykins posted:

The Vermintide building and associated tech tree really needs a rework. It's a fun idea but wildly, wildly impractical and unlikely to happen. And Ikit can just do it better and nuke the city anyway.

Never seen it in the wild either.
In my limited Skaven experience the Vermintide building chain dares to ask: What if you put in a ton of resources and planning to get immediately wiped out by any defenders at all unless it's late enough in the game you have all the techs?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Archaon got mad at me as Vilitch so I took all his vassals. He got madder. Now he's my vassal too. GOTY.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

terrorist ambulance posted:

What's the solution to duellists as Tzeentch in campaign? Army losses? They don't really have any combat lords or heroes, or any armor piercing ranged which is kind of the go to solution. Spam blue fire?
With Vilitch, my solution before Big V & T was strong enough to hold people in place was: Just throw some marauders at it. They'll die, but gently caress it. In the meantime throw a Lore of Tzeench debuff or two: overcasting Treason debuffs their Melee Attack, Glean Magic helps shut down their casting. Someone with Lore of Metal can contribute Glittering Robe to help make your "hold them in place" stack last longer, overcast Plague of Rust is -60(!!!) Armour, Transmutation of Lead is -atk and -melee damage.

Anyway you just kill everything else around them until you can blob up and murder them with debuffing-into-irrelevance, has been my strategy so far.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Give me a skin wolf Norscan LL with a wild hunt and/or waaagh-like mechanic and I'll break my monitor trying to feed it money.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Just had a dorftide pop. The next turn, the eye came around, and I got -50% spell costs, -50% spell cooldowns, for 5 turns.

My first action was my LL's stack immediately taking out 3 full dwarf spawned stacks in one battle without losses. I felt like Legendoftotalwar without the grumbling. What a good game. What a good lord (Vilitch).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

AtomikKrab posted:

Vilitch has a mount in Thomin, don't go bugging Tzeentch for more, everyone knows how that goes.
Now I'm picturing a Hell Pit Abomination but with Thomin's head on the front and Vilitch swinging off the back. It's glorious.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

This grudge tide is turning into such a slog it's making me want to abandon this amazing Vilitch run. It wouldn't be so bad if I felt like they were literally ever attacking anyone but me but they'll beeline past other people they're "at war" with to attack me first. Then you'll never guess what the other guys do! also attack me on their own turn

e yeah gently caress these hairy freaks, it's time to play Ghorst and just punch down on the campaign to wash the taste of this out of my mouth

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 4, 2022

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Beastmen feel loving rough after playing WoC and Ghorst, christ. It's turn 20, I've cast one ritual of ruin, Skarbrand agreeing not to instamurder me is the only positive thing that's happened so far. My units all suck and the caps are super low? This feels like Tomb Kings with extra mechanics to do less.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ravenfood posted:

What? Are you Malagor?

I mean sure Ghorst is both bugged and overpowered, but Beastmen are great. You can show up, ambush things almost all of the time which means you crush armies much stronger than you, give huge penalties to defense while ambushing (and attacking in general, iirc), and have some serious shitkicking lords that even if they have been slightly power-crept are still really, really good. If you're down near Skarbrand I assume you've got Malagor who gets a great mortis effect, flies, is tiny, gets stupid stupid cheap spells, and can cast them really fast. Your gors and ungors kind of suck but are almost entirely free and units like minotaurs are good too.

The big thing is that you can generally pick and chose where you want to attack and have the mobility to do so, both on the campaign and tactical layers. Your poo poo all hits hard and is fast but not too durable, so think of them as a proto-Slaanesh (with Khorne's momentum stuff tacked on if youre Taurox). They're pretty great.

Admittedly haven't played them in WH3, but I thought they felt awesome in WH2.
Yeah, Malagor. I haven't had a single ambush trigger successfully for me yet (but I've definitely been intercepted in the underways by orks!). Is it just that he takes a little while to get going (getting the perma-flock, for example)? Maybe I took too long getting my first ritual cast---I waited until I had gotten like 30some of the ruination points, so I was dragging myself along with the starting army, essentially. Also because of how their weird tech tree works I'm going to run out of stuff to research soon because I, for example, am at 0/5 ambush battles.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ravenfood posted:

Actually come to think of it they may have been made a bit worse by settlement battles being everywhere now, since not-garrisoned or walled settlements are rarer. That said, fast, hard-hitting, and stalk is a good combination for the settlement fights anyway, even if they are harder than before.

He does take a bit, but not too long. Level 15 or so? Which should be faster in wh3 with the changes to xp gain. Remember with free units it isn't bad to lose them in a fight so you don't need to be as careful with them as long as you can replace them, unlike with factions where a dead unit represents a money cost. But also, unless they changed the skill tree the blue line should have a +ambush chance skill which is really handy for battles in the field, and the encampment stance is by default hidden so you should be able to catch a lot of enemies out of position (not in a settlement) anyway.
This is super helpful, thank you!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Okay, a day later and I think I get beastmen now. Orion came down from the mountains to gently caress up one of my ritual stones so 10 turns later I'm turning the entire elven magic forest grove into a giant pit of ruin. Feels good man.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Does every aura show you its range when you mouse-over or click it during a battle? Is this a setting? Is there a mod? Flocking Malagors want to know.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

RoyalScion posted:

skrolk's plagues are bugged iirc and don't work properly.

Eshin is pretty fun but can get rough if you cant' get dark elf pirate man on your side. Really wish triads/deathrunners weren't smaller size units
Eshin should just do like the AI rat ninja did in my Vilitch game and beg and plead until your big brothers go kill everything east of the mountains for you

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Well, that's a shame. I got the Beastmen final battle, and despite them having 0 troops left (after gutting their lords and both reinforcement waves) it's just...not ending.

e:

??????

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 9, 2022

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

What's the secret to Vampire Coast? I tried a little Noctilus after a long Beastmen playthrough and they just feel like weaker horde and worse vampires, with all the speed of a zombie army and none of the durability. First dozen turns alone just about put me off the faction.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Oh nice, this is all excellent, thanks for the VCoast tips everyone!

Next: Is it a sucker's game to start chomping on the donut like the game seems to want me to? Should I just gently caress off to the high seas and not fight archers before I have units faster than this game's patch process?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Well, add Drycha to the pile (with Beastmen in general) of "fun until their quest battles, which don't work in TWW3"

Got the Coeddil fight. The stones are indestructible. But I rout everything anyway and get a close victory. Post-battle, Coeddil earns a trait! And is not in my army, or anywhere! Not in the recruit pool, not in any of my parties, just, nope bye, chill

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Give me Flesh Eater Courts, even if it makes the timeline a little hinky. VC rosters, some bastardization of Bretonnian mechanics mixed with Raise Dead. Make it happen please.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Some of the skill trees, I'm looking at them and being shocked the level cap was even 40. Like Wood Elf waystalkers (at least for Drycha). There's nothing here! And the gunnery wight for Vamp Coast, it's like, two short lines. That is something I hope gets a retouch sooner than later.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gonkish posted:

:ssh: The cap was 30 in WH1 when those were introduced. ( https://totalwarwarhammer.fandom.com/wiki/Experience_and_rank )

It's a relic of that. There's a LOT of skill trees in the game.
Oh good lord. I knew with my Beastmen run that it was to be expected that my bray-shamen all capped out at/around L43, but some of these other poor guys, oof.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Yeah I ran into the same thing with Beastmen, all the Skaven love me and are trying to throw ratling gunner squads at me, and unfortunately my base net revenue gain for the turn (because of some herdstones on ports) is enough for...1-2, tops.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kestral posted:

What are some starts that tend to get to field their higher-end units in good quantity before the game is essentially over / in full map-painting mode? My recent games have been monogod stuff, and their economies don't really support moving past "weirdly efficient T1 units cheering on an insanely jacked LL," so I'm looking for a change of pace.
I'm enjoying Vampire Counts for situations where a fight turns into an absolute splatterfest (like 2-3 armies on each side, massive casualties) and you end up with a Terrorgheist you can barely afford in the pool.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Either way, magic in this game is incredibly fun.
My VC game has taught me the light and the way that is Winds of Death, or "do you want to see a front line break in a few seconds?" The answer is always yes.

Another point in favor of VC: Vlad, at least, has two fully functional quest battles, which puts him in first place for IE playthroughs for me so far on that metric.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Muscle Tracer posted:

One of the worst tropes for fantasy RP is the idea that races exist as a cultural concept in the game world. Dark and high elves are literally the same race, but are different faction sets. On the other end of the spectrum, Lizardmen and Greenskins are collections of a bunch of races working together. Humans don't give a single poo poo about perpetuating the human race in the real world, only the subset that shares their traditions / ideology / whatever markers, and there's no reason it would be different for Elves or Dawii or whatever.

In short, shared ideals are more important than shared genetic makeup, IRL and in-game.
, and that's why Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts should be able to confederate. We take the blood, you get the bones. We all call ourselves kings and poo poo.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

My Strigoi Ghoul King has conquered all of Bretonnia with a retinue of his finest ghouls and horrors. I will be the Flesh Eater Court I wish to see in the world.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

God drat do I love it when, as Vlad, Drycha tries an opportunistic wardec while I'm in the middle of fighting the dwarves, fecundites, and remnants of the empire all around her stupid tree

And then all my armies turn around for one turn and burn her entire poo poo to the ground.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Legendoftotalwar ran into another bug with WoC vassalizing Norscans the other day: if the tribe had confederated already, when you vassalize them they won't spawn any units, because their leader already "exists" in the world. The solution is to attack and kill them, and then they spawn. No one cares, diplomacy-wise, if you do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Three words:
Quick Deal Diplomacy
It's so loving good. Like the obvious ones are quick deal non-aggression and trade, obviously, but after way too many hours I realized: Quick deal confederation and quick deal peace treaty are both invaluable in the mid-game once you really start feeling yourself and end up being able to sort most factions into 2 buckets:
- They are wardeccing haters and I got too powerful
- They will soon join me but are being coy for some reason