Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Bah that all sounds exactly like civ 6. You can incite rebellions in your enemies but if they spot a single one of your units they will walk through thousands of miles of territory with dozens of targets just to kill you and you alone

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah you guys are really underestimating the ask of "own two whole rear end games to play this big fuckoff mode." For the record, if it wasn't for the sale going on right now, Total Warhammer 1 is still a full 60USD game.

I'm sort of in this position now, I got 1 for free with epic games, but there doesn't seem to be any cheap way of getting the sequels or DLC and will probably have to rebuy it on Steam...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah I'm not really fussed by the DLC anyway, I only realised I could get Bretonnia for free a couple of weeks ago because this poo poo is all over the place, there's no simple "download and install everything" button. TWH2 wasn't even available on Epic a few weeks ago but now it is, there's no cheap way of getting it there, whereas there's Steam resellers that are pretty cheap.

Just give the old games away Sega, I'll even give you real cash money and buy 3!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I finally bit the bullet and purchased TW2 plus re-bought 1 (already owning in on Epic... guess I can't just claim a refund for 1 after installing Mortal Empires?). Fun to be playing somewhere other than the Old World for once. I just seem to getting mission after mission playing as Tyrion, crazy in comparison to the previous game. But fun. Not sure if I like that Ogres just popped up between High and Dark Elf territory and I can just go in and buy them? Probably helps having some tough guys in the army, though.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've only started playing Mortal Empires lately, and as Alarielle I think I've alienated the entire world, nearly everyone hates me and I'm having to murder my way across Ulthuan! I did watch some of that Legend fella's take on the campaign and I basically did the complete opposite of his smart playing - he never took the Sword of Khaine and so he stayed friends with his neighbours and confederated allies much more easily. He also had an economy whereas I can't trade with anyone. Have I basically screwed myself out of the campaign?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Dramicus posted:

I would never say a campaign is unwinnable, you've just made it harder on yourself and will have to expand a little more deliberately (slow and steady) and take fewer risks. Ulthuan is a fantastic economic base and once you have all of it, the campaign will essentially have been won, it will just be a matter of time.

Its hard to see, I played a few more turns and was getting hit on 3 sides which is a slog. One of the other things I learned from watching the stream was that conquering the north of Ulthuan can be a trap as I'm now getting invading armies appearing there every few turns. While it's not too difficult since the AI isn't coordinating attacks and has let me kill Malekith, Morathi and Hellebron one by one it's just never-ending. With nobody that will trade, the economic base isn't so useful. Still it was a good run, I can use what I learnt in another campaign - and I least I've had the fun of using the crazy powerful sword. The others were probably right to team up against me!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've not played much dwarfs, do they have the ability to rush/teleport with an Anvil of Doom? That was their only non-shooting tactic in the tabletop game.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mordja posted:

Considering they're ostensibly a full regiment of actual vampires, it is kinda weird how quickly they fold.

Yikes every time I've fought them I thought they were just a slightly good unit, didn't realise they were meant to be something a little bit scary to fight!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've been having a very fun game as Crone and got to Ulthuan to find some Wood Elves had taken about a third of it. Am army of Sisters on dragon, Ariel, Treeman and one unit of archers has been attacking me at Griffon Gate, and I don't think I can actually win this defence no matter what? The Sisters have the Sword of Khaine, I've tried the fight a couple of times, the second time I nearly killed them and they just recover health, repeatedly? I've even raised a Death Sorceress to leach them and a Black Ark to blitz the archers (who can stand between my defence towers out of range of my crossbows) but just can't kill the dragon... might have to send the file as a disaster to the old Legend..

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Ah, it'll just help encourage him to take his rightful throne

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Vizuyos posted:

My first Total War Warhammer game was with Karl because I knew absolutely nothing about Warhammer lore or anything, but as best as I could tell, Karl got the Warhammer and was probably a good beginner learn-the-game faction

What was your reaction when you got to the battle where he's all "yeah I've had this sick Warhammer all along but I've been choosing not to use it this whole time"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Gonkish posted:

EDIT: Also:

It's missing the layer of skulls that permeates the entire planet's crust

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Does anyone think there is likely to be a patch for WH2 at the same time?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I remember seeing some posts about how Malus is even nastier in TWH3 but I'm still playing TW2 and occasionally he'll appear near my weak settlements and I've not been able to find a way to beat him as I can't get my powerful stacks over in time. I can use the settlement garrisons and maybe a spare lord to destroy his entire army, but he can just kill everything else like it's nothing. I got him down to maybe 700 HP in my last try and he just did an explosion thing (summoning his Daemon I guess) and went back to full health. Do I just have to accept he'll destroy that settlement and I have to recall my other armies to beat him while he does whatever he wants for a few turns?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Ways I beat Malus back in WH2:

Army losses kicks in before he can transform

OR

He transforms so I spread my remaining (usually few, badly hurt) units to the four corners of the map until his health draining debuff eventually kills him.

Tough cookie.

Thanks (and Kanos too), sounds like there's some options. I was surprised that he never suffered from army losses, maybe I just need to be more conservative with my ammo. I think the worst thing was he started the battle on about half health, and I'd always known the health bar to have the line on it meaning that's the maximum he can heal back up to, plus he's meant to take damage himself... but no actually none of that matters and he can just head back up as high as he wants.

My poor Pigbarter, lynchpin of Imrik's eastern empire! Also can anyone advise how I can get trade routes going with Imrik in Mortal Empires? I have tons of trade goods but no trade routes, can't make trade agreements with anyone except some vamps who won't a veot...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Vizuyos posted:

The one time I tried Tomb Kings in WH2, the minor faction I started at war with somehow dragged Malus into the war and he rolled up on me just a handful of turns in

I wiped out his whole army, but couldn't quite break his leadership, and it turns out whatever regen abilities he's got can outlast eight units of skeletons slamming him from all directions :skeltal:

Yeep that sounds familiar! I retried the fight against Malus that I had been struggling with and drafted the RoR White Lion unit and just broke him before he went mad. He and one unit survived so I went after him with my survivors, and after he unleashed the beast the fight was reduced to my Archmage with 6 White Lions vs Malus Darkblade. His speed was slightly higher than hers but I just had to flee around the map for a few minutes with him snapping at her heels until his health slowly drained away. Thanks, thread!

Epilogue: I don't know if it's just coincidence or just the AI being really smart, but the Lizardmen popped up a few turns later and stole his last two settlements after I'd done all the hard work. Classic coldbloodedness!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
After dealing with Malus, I now have exactly the same problem with Tyrion who decided to invade... only this time he really is unkillable because all my armies have been given flaming attacks because I made the unforgiveable mistake of doing the quests that have come up for Imrik. I think it's something like 95% total resistance to every attack. No even Ogres are exempt! Guess I just have to pray for army losses once again...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I was playing what will probably be my final Mortal Empires campaign as Imrik, and it's just insane that even though I own all of Ulthuan, most of Bretonnia and many other locations, I can't trade with anyone except a single lizardmen faction. So I saved my game and abandoned my capital city, hoping that it would somehow make one of my actual good cities into the capital to get me some trade routes, like, say, the capital of Caledor of the entire High Elf race maybe. Sadly, after letting the next turn load this cunning ploy did not work, so I just exited the game and accepted my fate. So I reloaded today, and totally did not realise that I loaded the autosave where I'd deleted my best city with all the good stuff in it. Played an hour or so before I realised... and yeah, that's enough for me from that campaign! All I had to do to win was blow up about 40 of Grimgrog's cities, I think I can live without completing that one little thing.

So building on Vasudus's question, when I get TWH3, is it worth playing any of the normal campaigns? Or should I just dive into Immortal Empires, headfirst...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Alctel posted:

Maybe I'm just bad at the game but I basically never use magic

I'm a couple of hundred hours in and just noticed by the magic bit there was a little arrow and it let me select stuff from my Mage's secondary lore. I'd been picking all these fancy high elf mages that came with bonus spells but not even realising I could use them for god knows how long. Maybe I have a bit of a blind spot there, it took me a looong time to realise how to cast spells in the first place back with my first empire amber wizard, I even had to Google it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Communist Thoughts posted:

my LL and the enemy lord standing next to eachother not attacking or animating, ignoring all attack orders until i made him move somewhere else then redid the attack order

I've seen this a fair bit in 2, the most egregious example was an enemy unit wholly surrounded by my troops in an almost perfect circle, routing, and taking zero damage for several minutes. Eventually I told the surrounding units to move away and attack again and the fleeing unit started taking damage but who knows how long the AI was sneaking in a bit of cheeky invulnerability...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Vizuyos posted:

If it's going to punish you that hard for diplomatic mishaps it should really put a warning in, learning the specifics of how Reliability works the hard way sucks

Yeah I've fallen foul of this a few times, since you can have separate NAPs and trade agreements you'd think the latter wouldn't cover aggression but who knows

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Aww dangit I bought the Nakai DLC from cdkeys today, not had the redemption code sent through to me yet. drat this never ending tide of DLC and the never ending search to get it as cheaply as possible...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Small question on TWH2 and the distinction between short and long campaign victory conditions... if the long conditions say you must wait for Archaon to show up and beat him, then do you actually have to wait for the cutscene and then go chase him down, you wouldn't just win if the previous Chaos invasion was beaten, would you? Just asking as I won he short campaign with Markus, am one major city away from completing all other long campaign conditions, and Chaos are all dead... but I can't be bothered to go chase for that one final city if I'm going to then have to wait an unknown number of turns just for the cut-scene to play, let alone slogging to the ends of the earth just to find and kill Archaon... think short campaign victory is probably a good place to stop otherwise!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In my Ikit Klaw game, I confederated Queek and then the next turn one of the many overblown stacks the AI had developed instantly revolted on me before I even realised what was happening - of course that was the stack with all the good stuff too. Wow, what a mechanic.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think it's finally time to buy 3. Best price looks to be £25, might as well. Well done Sega, from giving 1 away on Epic Games a while back, to me buying all three games and a bunch of DLC. Even paid for 1 on Steam since cross-platform don't mean jack. Immortal Empires looks like it's good enough to play these days wonder if I can dive right in from 2 without any tutorial or start campaigns...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've played through about 50 turns as Cathay now and haven't had a single minor settlement battle; I have been autoresolving where possible but I'm definitely glad that fights have been the usual battlefields.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Kanos posted:

I have absolutely never understood wanting the map to be physically bigger. Literally the worst parts of the game are when you have to spend two or three turns slogging an army through a giant empty province with nothing happening. It's why anyone doing anything in Norsca loving sucked in TWW1 and TWW2 because the provinces were the size of jupiter.

...and often the giant empty province can have attrition so you go half speed in encampment or raid stance so now it's five or six turns :cheers:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Anyone know if there's a mod that will stop the camera zooming to the territory of everyone that contacts you? It's so jerky and most the time I'm just saying no thanks to them, so I'd rather not see the camera just swinging all over the place for no reason.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So in my Kairos campaign I've now kicked the crap out of Oxyotl and taken the whole of the South Pole for myself, and it amuses me to think of a world where everyone is too terrified to go past about 40 degrees south for fear of the demon pole

In my campaign I sent a slann with an expeditionary force of several bastilodons down to the south pole not knowing they would need to rescue Oxy from Kairos but it went pretty well! Interesting to see the view from the other side...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The other reason to execute captives is to get the executioner trait, -3 enemy leadership is a nice little sideboost.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lol yeah I'll be adding that to my epic account along with TWH1 riiight away. Shame it isn't Steam, I don't have that one and would quite like to give Woodies a go.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Fun little bug - Skarbrand has managed to acquire Malagor's defeat trait after we beat up some vampires together. Go team?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've got lots of experience in civ 6 and the AI can just about handle it, sometimes, but generally only succeeds through overwhelming help. You are infinitely more likely to get conquered early on at high difficulty levels as the AI will simply march its troops at you and there can be no way to beat them while you set up your first city. In TW3 the AI doesn't seem to revolve around every powerful AI constantly trying to destroy you, and there are always easy pickings somewhere. But I am comparing the hard civ difficulties to the normal TW3 difficulties so maybe it gets stupid like that as well.

Civ also introduces tons of weird niche ways to play and the AI either can't do them at all, or will focus on it to the exclusion of everything else. I hope you like the rock band jingle because rocking out is basically the #1 AI priority from turn 200 onwards.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
...does that mod still let you do the same actions it stops the AI from using?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Playing as chaos, I had one of Cathay's main cities revolt, and I think the game generated a caravan, that's not normal is it? Not complaining since it's very easy to build up a small stack that can win and I got a good $8K for my trouble, but not sure if bug or feature...

I assume with skaven denial there's some magic at work so it's not just the empire who convince themselves they don't exist. They should be careful though, if they trick a waaaagh into believing they aren't real, then there's a pretty good chance they might just poof out of existence...

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 6, 2022

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Well there didn't seem to be a normal rebel army, that was the only thing I could find to bonk!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Ooh yeah I can see why you think that, I was phoneposting before, so not explaining properly. I captured the enemy city, then control caused it to revolt while it was in my clutches, and the rebel army was a caravan. Yeah, don't think that's meant to happen!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah Endgame scenarios seem a bit whack, I've only had the Waaagh one so far so it seems doubly worse as it's all double stacks of Orcs, which yeah does get a bit tiresome.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I put off starting the Nkari campaign cos I heard that the cultist management is a bit too much, is that not quite right? My last 2 campaigns have been chaos, maybe something different next and then the big naughty daemon lady (?)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has anyone else noticed battles on the campaign map not quite lining up with the battle map?

Badlands greenskin battles in brettonian grasslands, cathay settlements in norsca?

I thought it was meant to be fixed in the last patch (ha!) but I do remember getting a Tomb King city defence instead of a Cathayan one the other day.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Pretty cool that tww3 has 5 factions that desperately need a dlc meant for another race.

Holy crap are the mono god factions anemic. One legendary lord choice, one generic, and one hero.

True and quite silly. I played the Skarbrand campaign before buying the two WoC DLC, and I had a sneaky watch of a streamer's campaign and their armies were full of marauder horsemen, chosen etc. and other units. Still quite samey but nice to have more variety! Plus I got an early mission in the campaign to recruit an Exalted Hero which I could never fulfil. I just reloaded the game now I have the DLC and it would definitely have made it a more enjoyable campaign. Not that it was bad though.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Did the old quote but forget to go back and edit!