Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I kinda wish they had gone with the horse-head keeper of secrets model. I do like how they animated it though. The Slaanesh stuff has a sort of unnatural grace to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

How is the AI in these games? I remember thinking when TWW1 came out that there was no way it would be able to handle the unit variety and options.

It's generally fine and will give a nice experience so long as you don't actively try to abuse it with cheesy tactics. It is certainly possible to abuse how the ai works and break it over you knee, but if you just bring a normal army and fight normally, it will do a decent job of putting up a fight.

If you find it too easy you can turn up the difficulty which basically give it a bunch of cheats.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I get that the realms of Chaos need their campaign mechanics for the new "Vortex" campaign or whatever it's called, but I hope the full map will still feature them. It would be cool if all the factions could access and fight in them. Maybe Chaos factions are able to hold territory in the Chaos Realms and non-chaos factions can only sack or raze settlements before retreating. However they are implemented, I really hope access to them isn't limited to the WH3 factions.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Minenfeld! posted:

Right. Thanks for the explanation. I suppose it is deliberately confusing for someone not initiated into the setting at first. Basically this means no ghosts in these TW games.

Vampire Counts have a couple ghost units + ghost hero. I think Vampire Coast (Vampire pirates, different from Vampire Counts) might also have 1 or 2 ghost units. But no faction made entirely of ghosts, no.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If you have 1 then you've probably got the lion's share of ghost units in that one with the Vampire Counts. You will be able to play them in 3 once the full map gets released a few months after release.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kazzah posted:

THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HAT WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD

... pale in comparison to the magnificence of the Chorfs.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just ally another Ogre tribe and get a cannon from them. Checkmate.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lord Koth posted:

This is talking about MP.

Then it's only a problem for the less than 5% of people who click on the MP button.

Jokes aside, I wonder if lowering the rate of fire and making it just stupidly slow would be a decent way of balancing it. Assuming it's suitably expensive, it might become a bit of a white elephant for the Ogres where if they don't stay behind and protect it, it gets easily shut down by fast units. If they do stay behind then they probably get shot to pieces/lose the domination battle.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Just expect a giant skeleton with a huge hat that fucks up everything he touches and loses all the time, probably with really strong magic (that he'll gently caress up casting) and typical vampire count minions (who will betray him). His starting location will be right by a toilet so you can immediately start giving him a swirly.

Basically a stronger, but less competent Skeletor.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Do we even know anything definitive about this?

Not yet. CA is supposedly going to release more information + roadmap shortly after launch.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
While Ogres look cool as hell, I think CA really missed a golden opportunity by making them sound basically like Orcs. Just imagine if they had gone full Hunnic/Mongolian, we could have had Ogre throat singing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

You rear end in a top hat, I just dribbled coffee all over my chin.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The story for Warhammer is everyone is fighting everyone forever.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Unless the rating board also told them to charge 4 dollars instead of 1 or whatever, it's hard to view it as a good faith effort regardless.

It works out to be roughly 1 dollar per game because the same pack carries forward from 1 to 3 (and maybe further into Age of Sigmar but we don't need to stir that pot)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If you care about Legend's opinion, he gives WH3 an 8.5. His main complaint is the campaign mechanics which he finds to be actively annoying and frustrating and cannot be ignored like the vortex can. He predicts that there's a chance the campaign might get patched or reworked to be less frustrating, but the real saving grace is going to be the next mortal empires campaign.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is for to know (about the campaign being annoying). I have to wonder if they are planning really big things for IE and they built the base game to be an objective-oriented campaign for those that like that. Then IE will be the gigantic sandbox that people like me prefer.

The current campaign seems to actively punish the player for empire building. The larger your territory, the more rifts and demon invasions you have to deal with everywhere. Ironically the best way to win is just sit on two provinces and focus on the chaos realm objectives and "disable" the campaign. Then you can focus on empire building without the campaign suddenly ending, but you still have to deal with closing all the rifts that pop up.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It makes me think some of the first mods might be ones that increase the cooldown between rifts to 500 turns or something so you don't have to deal with them.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Scott Forstall posted:

Crazier than that, they old pop up every 30 turns or so before you finish the campaign but once you do, they pop up all the time. To Legend’s point, the game kinda punishes you for completing the campaign. There’s no traits or bonuses gained for gathering the souls either. Kinda wild. He and a few other content creators gave feedback but nothing so far.

Slaanesh is the only realm worth going to, and not for the soul but for the exit bonuses. And apparently CA had much lower bonuses at one stage of development but testers would never bother taking them. So CA massively boosted the bonuses. They need to do that for the other 3 as well, along with a completion bonus once you do capture the soul.

The weird thing is that they totally have leaned into giving the player "you won, here's a stupidly good trait, go hog wild" in the past, like with Norsca's campaign. Have they just forgotten, or what?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

I think the idea is that Be'lakor being your bitch is the reward

That would be more of a reward if he didn't have the skill tree of a generic empire captain.

Edit: If anything the Boris unlock is the best reward and you don't even need to get close to finishing the campaign to do it.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 15, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

neonchameleon posted:

And having rifts open post-campaign is a fairly major bonus if you're already the major power as it gives you cross-map access. As long as you can keep yourself safe. I don't want to think about Skarbrand teleporting half way across the map every four or five turns. That said it should be much bigger, and not just Be'lakor. And Be'lakor should really be unlocked.

It remains to be seen just how useful they are compared to how annoying the demon armies they spawn are, but I see how it could facilitate conquest.

As for Be'lakor, it probably doesn't fit with the narrative or anything, but it would be rad if getting him let you recruit chaos units or something. I guess just having him is lore-breaking in the first place, so why not go all out and let you have a chaos army as Kislev or something.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

V for Vegas posted:

So the pre load opens 48 hours before the release time right?

Supposedly preload starts tomorrow (the 15th).

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Scott Forstall posted:

Hold the 3 main Kislev settlements for 10 turns, then he is available.

And you can use him for the rest of the campaign in addition to getting a new campaign with him.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

I think there's also a special battle involved after holding all three settlements.

Also, afterward you get the choice to set Boris up with one of the cities and he acts as an independent faction (no idea why you'd choose this) or get him to join your forces.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hope if they do Ungol they are more than just shirtless light cavalry. We've got enough marauder cavalry as it is. Make them interesing and unique, base them off the Xiongnu or something.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Why would you base them off an ancient empire on the border of China instead of the various Turkic peoples that interacted (and importantly also mixed with, alot of the early Cossacks as well as some noble families were of Tatar descent) with Russia and the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth and even their predecessors. If you are to actually stick to the the Tatar/Siberian/Kazakh* thing that was kind of set up in the RPG sourcebook (though also giving them elements from Russian folklore like the baba yaga stuff), then they should draw visually from that (and no, those were not shirtless light cavalry), not the Xiongnu.

*Though to be honest there's elements from the prologue, and that short story which make me apprehensive about this and it's possible they may have decided to drop that aspect of it and characterize them more as distinctly Slavic Cossacks. Though we'll see when it actually comes time, I just hope it doesn't end up like that.

Whatever they base them off of, I just hope we don't get more shirtless light cav. I picked Xiongnu because they have cool armor and cool hats.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This poor horse has seen some poo poo

Fresh out of the realm of Slaanesh.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Besides the ton of potential mortal lords for the Chaos factions, what units are there? I’m seeing the Mutalith Vortex Beast, Chaos Warshrine, Chaos Ogres and the Slaughterbrute on a list of 8th edition WoC units. There are a few god-aligned Nurgle and Khorne models, but they were introduced in the End Times, and I don’t think CA has been clear how they’ll handle that. They could always add specific god-flavored WoC and Norse units to each god’s roster. There have been plenty of dlc units that were relatively boring but filled a role on certain underpopulated rungs of the tech ladder, but they’ll want to add some flashy stuff too.

They could easily add more god-specific Chaos warriors and Marauders. Even if there aren't necessarily any rules for Chaos Warriors of Nurgle, for example, it really isn't a stretch to take inspiration from the Plague Guard, or just what the Mark of Nurgle does for champions and extrapolate it to a unit.

They would be inventing the unit in a very strict sense, but it is probably the shortest "stretch" they could make and they would be an opportunity to make them look cool as hell.

Edit: Actually, you know what would be rad? If you could get "Mark of ____" banners that you could slap onto units and the mark would change the stats and appearance of the unit. So you slap a mark of Khorne on some chaos warriors and they become chaos warriors of Khorne, same deal with the other gods. That could be really fun.
Or it could work a little like the scrap upgrades for Orcs, where each type of unit has some specific marks/gifts you can apply to them for some sort of cost.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 15, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

It seems like that only happened with Tzeentch for whatever reason though. The Slaanesh marauders and Khorne Chaos warriors have pretty distinct look and aren't just a recolor.

Yeah, it makes me think they might have run out of time with a couple of the units. The Slaanesh stuff in general is really well done and extensively changed. The Tzeench stuff outside the blue/pink horrors is mostly just recolors.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

To be fair, I don't think there's all that much to pull from in 8th ed. Tzeentch in general has always seemed to me to have the least model representation, with Khorne and Nurgle getting all the love.

There's nothing stopping them from having the Tzeentch stuff have weird blue crystals or lots of eyes on them. Even something basic like swapping the skulls on the Doom knights for large eyes would have worked.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Tzeentch is all about trickery and plots within plots. It's hard to be sneaky and tricky if you've got a gazillion eyes or crystals growing out of your body. Tzeenntch cults, along with Slaanesh, tend to be the best at subverting and sneaking into human and elf societies, because they tend to be the least mutated.

Tzeentch just uses polymorph magic to conceal whatever needs to be hidden. Guy looks totally normal, convinces you to do something you shouldn't then when you realize what you've done, bam, he's got 50 eyes and he's cackling.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

Does anyone know which units can't be recruited through the outpost mechanic on the WH3 map? Are DLC units like rattling gunners available?

Everything is recruitable. You are only limited by:

1) The buildings the ally has. So if they can't recruit steam tanks, neither can you.

2) Allegiance points. Each unit you recruit from an ally costs some special currency that you generate from being allied to, and doing missions for them. Also some buildings generate them too, like the Grand Embassy for Cathay.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

V for Vegas posted:

The actual download is only 65GB. It unpacks to 120GB.

It will still need to decrypt on launch day. Could take up to 30 minutes depending on your system.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
To me the idea of playing Chaos without Chaos warriors is a bit like playing wood elves without elves. I mean, yeah, you can have a tree army if you want but you are missing an important and iconic part of the faction.

I'm not worried about it though because there's certainly going to be "Chaos Warriors for all chaos factions" mods that will resolve this.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

Given the quality of their reworks so far, I expect Norsca and WoC to get a decent amount of love at some point in the future.

I'm sure they will get a great rework, but just having the allied outpost system for Norsca will almost make them a new faction on it's own. Being able to get friendly with Demon factions and recruit demons would totally change the way they play.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

They got a rework but no DLC, unlike all the other WH1 races, eg Wulfhart, Grom, Thorek, Repanse, or even DLC races like the Sisters.

Have faith in Nagash, friend.

tithin posted:

Is there any indication of how the old Chaos invasion is going to work in Mortal empires 3, given the new poo poo that's been added to differentiate the chaos factions?

I am sort of presuming that it's going to remain the same - I haven't kept up with the roster changes, but none of the new chaos factions have subsumed anything from the OG Chaos roster, right?

Short answer is we don't know. The new chaos factions are considered very much separate from Warriors of Chaos by the devs, so in theory we will have another new rework for Archaeon and friends. So who knows what's in store.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ultrachrist posted:

I also noticed that neither of the first 2 games are on gamepass (or even the windows store?), so I wonder how that will work with the giant cross-game map.

It probably means gamepass just won't get it. It's highly likely that it's only available to people who own the previous two games.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think if they had just given Tzeentch a higher ward %, it would have been too powerful as the units would take less damage across their entire lifespan. So they came up with the regenerating shields as a way to give them damage reduction that can be overwhelmed.

I do expect the barriers to get hit with a nerf bat or two. Maybe drastically reducing the hp of the barrier, but making them regen faster might work.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

The easiest way to balance the barrier is to just do the same thing they did with healing and put a cap on amount regenerated per battle. It's basically the same problem, so the same solution should work fine.

Though at the point it's functionally just the same as the regeneration trait.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

queeb posted:

im guessing the gamepass version doesnt let me mess around with ogres right? im gonna save myself the 80 bucks and just play on that for now until the big map comes out.

Keep in mind, Ogres are only "free" now. If you buy the game later you will also have to pay for them separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Without fail, I swear to god, every time a game releases that I'm interested in I get a full day of meetings that I can't be absent from. At least I finish at 4 I guess.