Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Really, most of the game is about who has the best hat when you think about it.

THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HAT WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
One hundred and twelve gigs of DEMON ASSES

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I once had a rebellion by a Vamp Coast general. I was trying to use the office system to BS my way into all the buffs without having a bunch of standing armies, and this required me to take all his troops away... which led to him rebelling and somehow spawning a bunch of new high-level poo poo, right on top of Sartosa while Aranessa was off killing elves. It didn't quite kill the campaign, but I wound up abandoning it later.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The way they implemented it last time was that Game 2 got a separate blood DLC, which was free to anyone who owned the first. Also, it released alongside ME (so, four weeks after launch). I imagine we'll have to have a few bloodless weeks this go around to.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Ogres, my lord

Every turn, forever

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Does it unlock in 3 hours or 27 hours and do I want to play Cathay or the big red demon guy or the make your own demon guy?

It unlocks in 2.75 hours, in eastern Australia, dunno about the rest of the world

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

man some of these siege maps are gorgeous but kairos just got stuck on nothing and wouldn't move while he got melted by towers. have had several pathing issues, if they've made improvements to pathing AI it's hard to notice.

Yeah I wish they made some of the passages wider, I keep getting this thing where I can't drag a unit box into the space I want

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I don't like the Prince Battles much either, but: you can set which capture-point you want your reinforcements to spawn at, there's some arrows in the spawn box to cycle through them all.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just saw a Kislevite general named Evgeni Koshka which I'm pretty sure means Eugene Pussy

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
As far as I can tell, absolutely every Ogre income building pays for itself in 10 turns

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Lucinice posted:

Hey when I use reveal faction intentions as Tzeentch where do I actually see that information?

On the main screen, there are these faint lines coming out of all the enemy armies, kind of like the coloured lines you get out of ranged units to show where they're aiming.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've got mixed feelings.

On the one hand, sending out an army to have a bunch of high-stakes fights is not an inherently bad idea. The problem with these games has always been that the campaign-map side can undermine the battle side, in that once you unlock all the cool high-tier units, you have such an economic and defensive might that you stop getting into desperate, do-or-die battles, and you never see all those cool toys pushed to their limits. So they get around this by spawning in high-level armies for you to fight, and this time you have to go get them, instead of having them spawn next to your undefended towns.

I think the problems come from the execution. The portals open just a little too often, and the penalties for having your LL away are too severe - in my Goldtooth campaign, Zhao Ming has decided to ignore the soul-race and send everything he's got into the mountains, and I've got one stack to hold him back. A lot of other people have said it, but: there really should be some reward for claiming a soul (other than "the campaign doesn't get turned off on turn 150"). It doesn't have to be huge; even just 10 turns of public order and anticorruption, like you got from the vortex rituals, to undo some of the harm from having your best forces on tour. I feel like they tried to fix this by reducing the Supply Lines penalty, and weakening the red-line skills (so a veteran general's army isn't that much better than a newly-raised one). In theory, this should make it easier to have more stacks earlier - but they also gave most of the factions pretty weak economies to begin with, which undoes most of the good.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is a war-wagon a technical?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oh man, doesn't Repanse give her whole stack fire damage? Need to take her up north once IE drops.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just got the "win 50 battles in a single campaign" cheevo in my first battle of a new campaign.

I mean, it's not a particularly novel bug, but it rules that it was literally battle #1. As Skarbrand, no less.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The cannon aren't firing because they don't want to wake up all the sleeping soldiers

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I haven't played Ham 3 in a couple days but that's because my PC is dead and in hell

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oh that's still in, I just got the "win a battle outnumbered 10 to 1" cheevo, while only being outnumbered 2:1. I was fighting dorfs as Kugath, so it genuinely was a bit dicey, but I have no idea how the game misread that situation. It was a quest battle; maybe their reinforcements got counted more than once somehow.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Arghy posted:

TW2 wasn't like that, i got over 1k hours in it but almost no achievements because i used mods from day 1.

You must play the game in a majorly weird way because I also used mods from day 1 and got heaps of cheevos. How'd you keep all your heroes under level 20?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Was it a quest battle, by any chance?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Kinda

They changed it so that if you beat a faction at the Forge they lose all their souls, so you can basically take part in the race at your leisure. Also mods are in, so you can turn off a lot of the more annoying features. Still a lot of problems with faction balance, sieges, autoresolve, and so on.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Man, they must be totally rebuilding the last 2 years of TW2 updates or something

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
the Nothing on the roadmap is a standin for the Giant Update, where CA will rework all giants into useable, B-tier units

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Greenskins vs ogres is gonna be rough

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've gone back to Ham 2 for a Norsca campaign, since they're one of the few I never got around to. It's a lot of fun! I consolidated my initial province as Wulfrik and then immediately jumped on Bretonnia. I had like three extremely hairy battles in a row, and was saved mostly by Louen's refusal to recruit proper knights; managed to kill him off around turn 20. Despite their awful campaign mechanics (5 turns to global-recruit basic infantry), Norsca is amazing in battles, their infantry just hit so hard. Anyway literally everything else in Bretonnia has been overrun by Moussilon and Ikit, so I'm now trying to kill of Franz. He's already confederated with Gelt and Talabecland, but I'm in a good position to take Altdorf. I've been majorly neglecting actually razing towns for the gods, should be able to make up for it once Franz is out of the picture. Luckily, all the rest of Norsca has been confederated by one of my friends (who asks me for $2k every now and then but I don't mind too much). I forgot how nice the defeat->confederation mechanic is; if they betray me, I just need to beat their faction leader, and the war basically ends.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My Wulfrick campaign is getting a bit high-stakes. Karl's dead, which means I only need to get my favour up to trigger the ending, but the dark elves have taken over Ulthuan and decided I'm next. My one stack in L'Anguille (the town outside Couronne) just did three defensive battles in a single turn; the AI has this weird thing where it underestimates my forces and only sends in two stacks at a time, when it could have hit it with four at once if it chose. Wulfrick plus the second army are in the south to knock over Tilea and maybe the Awakening for the tech bonuses, so I've got my third stack and am throwing together #4 to hold off the dark elves. Mass-javelins are incredible. I still only hold the one province in Norsca itself.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Nea posted:

was playing thorek in total warhammer 2. i'm not that good at these games, i play on normal and i do alright, i'm maybe getting good enough to play on hard but it really depends on the arm,y and ht Thorek is one of the easier ones for me. I just work well with the dwarves, I love ranged but I need a front line that isn't hot butter to support it, and Thorek's ranged is frankly obscene. Been whooping all up and down the coast, fighting skaven, not having any trouble with it.

Start a war with Ikit Claw.

Fight's going okay. Not great, but alright. And then suddenly half my army vanishes. I forgot which skaven is which, and I'd entirely forgotten about the big bombs. I'd certainly not even deigned to think they were something the AI could get. Holy hell.

gonna... reload that autosave and autoresolve that one i think...

The AI can't make nukes, but like the player they start with 1 in the chamber, and like the player they can't use it in autoresolve battles, so that thing is gonna sit there until Ikit fights a manual battle, and there's only one set of circumstances in which that might happen...

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So the Ham-3-only people can play IE, but only with the WH3 factions?

Honestly, I think that would work

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm currently reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Green Mars and one of the characters is named Nirgal, after the Sumerian god that Nurgle is derived from, it's strange

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Pershing posted:

So I just bought a gaming PC for the first time in a decade. I've always wanted to play TW: Warhammer but it sounds like 3 sucks? If I buy 2 is there DLC that's essential?

2 is the best way to play TW:W currently. The first game functions as DLC for game 2, adding in the mega-campaign (and making the game-1 factions playable there). The DLC situation is complicated (because there's a shitload of it) but basically that's the only essential one. Everything else adds factions (no need to buy until you feel like playing as that particular race) or characters/units to the existing factions. The base-game Skaven are pretty mediocre, so if you're thinking of playing them you might want to grab one of their DLCs, but everything else is whenever.

Note that there's a shitload of free DLC, some of which can only be got by making an account on the CA forums or something like that (including the Brettonian faction). All the game 1 DLC carries over to game 2.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I was very late in trying out Thorek Ironbrow because his whole thing is "don't use the best toys", but holy poo poo; his crossbows max out at like 160 ranged damage.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mr. Grapes! posted:

So I have a few questions:

If I put a '+10% Campaign Map Movement' lackey onto my Wizard and then shove him into the army, does the whole army move faster now or is it useless? What about +50% Captures and that sort of thing? Or does all of that need to go on the leading general.

If I get +3 Experience Levels on Recruiting Knights for 3 turns, does that mean that they get the experience if I pay for them on Turn 3, or only if they actually finish recruiting on Turn 3?

If I put a "Weapon Strength +10%" weapon on my ranged hero like an Empire Witch Hunter, does that actually increase the strength of his gun or just his sword? I know that the stats are dodgy in the upgrade screens because giving a mount tends to lower all the stats when I think that it does not actually lower.

1) I think those buffs get passed onto the army, but I'm not 100% sure.
2) You need to order the recruitment while the buff is active. Any knights that were already in training get no buff; any knights you order during the buff who finish after it expires will still get it.
3) It improves his sword. Things that improve ranged damage (or reduce reload time, essentially the same thing) will always explicitly say so.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Muscle Tracer posted:

Toroidal map mod when

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Too bad Norscans don't know what a wall is.

it's one o them things with fur and tusks, right?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Speaking of Skaven, are warpfire throwers bad? They do a boatload of damage if I can get them to fire, but between their short range and forgetting to turn off skirmish mode they usually only ever get one volley off and spend the rest of the battle scurrying away from everything.

There's a menu somewhere that lets you turn of default-skirmish. Also default-run and default-guardmode, though those are less annoying.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I hope they leave in the thing where you have to sack some Kislevian cities

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I haven't played TK in a while, which of the non-Settras is funnest?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They're also reorganising Sylvania into Northern and Southern, as opposed to the current E/W. Which is a good change; Western Sylvania being broken up by that lake makes Vlad+Izzy starts a bit of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Was there a lore reason to put Taurox in Naggarond, or was that just to slow down the Delf deathball?