Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Randarkman posted:

So as far as we are aware, the way it works with Ogre mercs now is that when there's an Ogre camp (their movable major settlements) in a province, whoever's in that province can recruit Ogre units from that camp?

I think so? The area may be a radius a la Black Arks instead of province-wide but that's my understanding. No more "ogres, my lord" and pop-up camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
On one hand cannon being good at the seemingly intended use-case of shooting large monsters is good. (Its a bit silly how little I want cannon in most playthroughs, because gunpowder infantry does that job better in every way). On the other, yeah, that was pretty ridiculous and shows how effective stacking effects like accuracy and reload speed through chevrons can be.

I can't tell if the problem is the unit, how it interacts with experience ranks, or both.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Azran posted:

VC actually got a rework that made all units and heroes accessible earlier, got a new start pos for Kemmler and the whole bloodline system + reworked tech tree. They still need some more stuff, though. There's no point to 2/3s of their regular lord, for instance.

Given the quality of their reworks so far, I expect Norsca and WoC to get a decent amount of love at some point in the future.

They got a rework but no DLC, unlike all the other WH1 races, eg Wulfhart, Grom, Thorek, Repanse, or even DLC races like the Sisters or Taurox.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 16, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Have faith in Nagash, friend.

Oh yeah, I'm sure we will get at least one VCounts DLC for 3, just commenting that they, Norsca, and WOC were the only WH1 race to not get a WH2 DLC.

My guess is Neferata for one DLC and Nagash as some new faction/race.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm trying to finish a bretonnia vortex campaign before this comes out and man this ain't happening.
After 100+ turns of tomb King hell war I've just crossed half the chivalry needed

Each reinforcing lord/army earns chivalry separately from the main army, though I think they get less. Also, Bretonnia doesn't get a supply line penalty for some reason. These two facts combined mean that 2armies of 10 units each costs about as much as 1 army of 20 units, but earns substantially more chivalry. 3 armies of 7 units each earn even more. Also, each lord and hero will need babysitting for Vow progress, so you might as well start earlier. And lastly, reinforcing an army will eventually earn the reinforcing lord the "savior" trait which increases chivalry and army-wide charge bonus.

Drown the enemy in reinforcements. Just watch out for Sniktch, Skaven ambush stance will gently caress you up fast that way. Once he is off the table, you can easily win the Vortex campaign in under 100 turns.

Dramicus posted:

Though at the point it's functionally just the same as the regeneration trait.
Unless I'm missing something about how it works, the barrier regenerates substantially faster than HP gained from regen and won't regenerate while in combat. Regeneration is much better for sustained combat, whereas barriers are better for hit and run attacks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I would assume so. It's not like they have any hidden AI secrets to unleash. Giving them stat bonuses is how they make it very hard. They release the same game with a different skin every year and they're not about to stop now.

They could rework how difficulty bonuses are distributed, though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Ultra is the unit size that the game is best balanced on or at least it was in wh2.

No, it wasn't. That size was large. I believe SFO might have balanced for ultra though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
As Katarin, starting at war with Kislev enemies that gives you a huge supporter penalty every time you fight them while also having a quest to beat Kostaltyn to 50 supporters is rough.

But hey I have Praag and Kislev under control now at least!

I kind of like the single huge city province and 4x minor oblast province dynamic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

I thought there was supposed to be 3Ks autoformations when you click and drag but it doesn't seem to be a thing

Also that it was meant to save your last formation with that army and its not doing that either. Am I crazy?

It seemingly does for field battles. I've had a few saved formations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cobra Lionfist posted:

I don't think so, I had the same thing after landing Cathay's flyers.

Also feel like I'm one of the only people starting with Cathay. The Western Province campaign has been fun so far. Confederated two parts of the wall and they've got good army upkeep bonuses to station an army there. Was swimming in money at the start as all the campaign objectives are intuitive stuff you do anyway.

Portals just opened so looking forward to checking them out.

e:typo

Yeah I started as Kislev because a) I've wanted to play them for ages and b) they seemed like they'd be the easiest to just really go wild and jump into the new mechanics without worrying too much. Cathay is probably up next. Maybe a demon campaign.

Also, I need names for Frost Maidens because so far every one has been named Evelina, most of them with the last name Bebchuk. Its challenging.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

canada jezus posted:

Empire or dwarfs for Kislev allies? Unit wise i mean. I kind of feel like i want 4 thunderers.
You already get Streltsi who are basically thunderers without shields but better melee stats. I'd go for Empire and their better artillery.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

How do you manage Kislev's devotion minigame? Your opponent ticks up overtime but you can only get points while the invocation is running, which needs devotion, and you're losing both in the early game because you're fighting kislevites

is the answer that it's bad because I feel like that's the answer

I think the idea is that the priest guy ends up being pretty strong in that regard. I'm hoping my gets better once I secure my provinces and I can start fighting chaos. I did lose the race to the first two points though

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Scott Forstall posted:

My kislev question - does the income from farms bonus for the hallowed wood stack? Like should each of the 4 settlements in the eastern oblast have a farm and a forest to maximize income?
No. The bonus from hallowed woods applies only to the local region, not province. They are like bretonnian farms in that regard. So if you're going to have a hallowed wood, you want a farm in that same region. I haven't decided if I need garrison buildings in all of my lands yet. Probably, but I'm not sure. But if you do, that gives you two free slots per settlement, which means one gets farms+hallowed wood, another gets both recruitment buildings, and the last two get churches and markets. I think that's how I'm going to build it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

Warhammer 3 changes the default to Ultra from Large and looks to be balanced around that.
Is there any way to change that after campaign start? Mine defaulted to medium and it doesn't seem to change. The battle map runs fine so I think ultra would be good, its just the campaign itself.

Also, fuuuck, Mannfred started winning the war against the Empire and I think I need to help them out. That's making it very hard to attack the demons, Mannfred!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Traditionally you've had to start a new campaign to get the effect of a different unit scale. There's really not much of a reason for it anymore as it's kind of just a multiplier to entity numbers and health, but maybe it'd be too much because of save data on unit health and numbers being in absolute numbers rather than percentages.
poo poo. Oh well. Guess I'm stuck with it for now.

Also, ran into some kind of bug with Katarin's quest battle. My Streltsi just sit in place and refuse to move which makes getting attacked by a bunch of flamers of Tzeench a lot harder! I suppose I'll deal with that one later on once I have some higher tier units.

Last thought; I appreciate that the armored kossar units remain viable instead of just lines of streltsi/ice guard. They have better melee stats that streltsi and do more ranged damage, albeit with less range, ammo, and AP. Also they get more research to keep them viable late game. I think I might go with a line of 2 each of Streltsi and both armored kossar variants (maybe 4 streltsi, 2 shielded ones) and use Ice Guard with katarin's army and regular kossars with everyone else. We'll see, I'm pretty money-starved.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How do snow leopards fare against armored chariots? I tried picking a fight with vampires and let the Norscans have some pressure taken off so now I've got two stacks with about 10 chariots each coming my way and I really don't have a good counter. Katarin has some ice guard glaives that she is bringing up but probably not fast enough.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah the Baersonlings can be nasty. They are currently my main nemesis since I just don't have the ability to fight two full fronts yet, especially not when they can send more than two stacks at the same time.

E: and Praag is a great city. Those are some nice landmarks. I'm excited to see what Erengrad offers once I can finally look to confederating them.

E2: by the way, apparently there is a bug with supply lines. Disbanded lords do not decrease the penalty like they should. Moreover, if you hire them again, the penalty is reapplied. So go suicide any spare lords you get from confederation!

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 19, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

genericnick posted:

When I disbanded an army earlier the penalty vanished. Is that a display error?

Yes. Your income didnt change when that happened, made harder to notice because of how income updates.

E: I think I need to scrap my Katarin run and either play something else or try again. I recruited at least 4 lords to deal with short-term incursions, plus generally messed up my overall build. I still think I'll take the Slaanesh circle of gluttony buff: increasing growth by 100/turn and 40k cash is really nice. Maybe.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 19, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like specifically as kislev they have a tremendous amount of options for slowing stuff down, frostbite, ice sheet, and the bitterness of winter all stack together, so you can make it so that units can barely move. Ice sheet IMO is a top tier spell for them because it's dirt cheap, really spammable, and has a massive effect area, you can basically use it to take armies apart and it lets you get maximum use out of your ranged firepower before closing to melee.
Ice sheet also provides a dirt cheap way to keep a missile resist and MDef buff up a lot of the time.

I've been running an Ice Witch and Tempest Frost Maiden per army and ideally two patriarchs, one with the stamina regen chant. The hybrid units eat through stamina oiled crazy.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 20, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah I need a new graphics card badly. loving bitcoin.

Hell I just need a whole new computer.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah that Slaaneshi guy is really good at temptation it seems

Yeah those rewards are actually tempting in the short term. I like it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

This is what I was talking about with kossar spam earlier. You need so many damned armies as Kislev just to keep Kislev intact that you'd best get used to spamming T1 archers because that's what you can afford!
If you could disband lords this would be much less of an issue. Kislev eventually gets great global recruitment effects and so just summoning an emergency boyar and a half stack should be enough to stop any invasion. Sadly, you can't actually do that.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you replace a lord do you get the penalty of both? I had to recruit a boyar I don't really want to keep around. If I can replace him with an Ice Witch it would be ideal, but I'm not sure that's worth an additional 4% upkeep penalty. Same with whenever I get Boris, if I can replace the boyar with him instead it would work a lot better. I could deal with just never recruiting that boyar again.

E: suppose I could just recruit the witch, transfer all the troops, and get the boyar killed instead. That would probably be worth a few turns if the upkeep.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I generally like the idea of the more focused campaigns as contrasted with the ME style sandbox and am glad there will be both. On the other hand, holy hell Tzeentch's realm feels like rear end. The way your movement just stops every time you portal is maddening and about the only way I can see doing this is to find the route to the proper teleporter (and I'll be honest, I'm struggling to see those icons sometimes) and then just go back to the beginning and save scum it. It honestly wouldn't be bad if you could move faster.

On the other hand I suppose it guarantees every LL will get the campaigner trait.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Raygereio posted:

I don't think auto-resolve for sieges takes towers into consideration at all though. One or two turns of sieging worth of attrition can turn a defeat into an easy win for the auto-resolve.

About Kislev: I've had two false starts now and I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it would be a fun, challenging campaign, were it not for the Realm of Chaos mechanic.
I don't really see a way how I can send Katarin's army off to fetch a soul. When I do, the one other army I can afford can't really fight the multiple fronts with Norscans, various demons and that one Ulricdamned Empire faction that backstabbed me in one campaign.:argh:
By the time Katarin comes back, she has a nasty trait with something like -20 control, so she's useless for a bunch more turns because everywhere she goes I just get more rebellions.
How many rifts in are you talking about? I'm admittedly only on my 1st one on my second try as Katarin but it's working out well so far and I haven't felt pressured to need her. When she comes back I'm planning on making Manny gently caress off (currently thinking about taking and just giving the province, maybe keeping Drakenhof, to the dumbass Ostermarkers) and confederate Erengrad, ideally both before the next set of rifts.

Basically: you want to only recruit basic kossars, and you can do that without a recruitment building. Kislev itself should get the market green building and the two +growth green building (and you'll demolish one of them one you're upgraded to t3, though I haven't decided whether the -recruit cost or -building cost and time is better). I blitzed the Roppsmenn and killed the ogre tribe that settles near Jakova. Rushing Praag was a bit dicey timing-wise, and I probably should have gotten another boyar earlier. But I recruited one as soon as i took the eastern oblast and started building up another army. That was enough to keep the Baersonlings off me while Katarin took Praag and then turn back to finish the Baersonlings in the northern oblast off with the help of my second stack. I confederated the Kislev faction up that way too. I probably should have taken out the Baersonlings first and then moved to Praag but oh well.

Then the rifts popped up, with Praag and two oblasts under my control and two stacks of mostly kossars. Sent Katarin to the rifts and the other guy to close. Also could have sacked/razed the Baersonlings north but the Dwarfs were beating me to it.

The plan for both oblasts is to have two settlements of church/market, one of both recruitment buildings, and one of farm/grove. Resources probably replace a church. The purpose of all of this is to get maximum money for kossar spam.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Kinda disappointed that the skill and tech trees are all so bland, feels like a step back from game 2.
The red line and some blue line skills are definitely less impactful than they were which I mostly like. They are still useful and strong but not as near-mandatory as before. Red lines feel like they are 50-75% as powerful as before.

Overall they seem to have turned down a bit of power creep.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

That's... kind of whack. Very whack, in fact.
How does a city being blockaded *gain* supplies ? If anything, cities should start with N supply (500 per growth tier ?) and lose 500 per turn besieged...
Stockpiling supplies and scavenging in the city. Medieval cities and walls were not really "battle ready" at any given time and had a bunch of temporary repairs and additions made every time they looked like they were going to be attacked. I assume that's the abstraction.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 22, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I like the idea of having to traverse the Chaos realms and fight some demons to teleport. So to teleport, you lose your army for a turn or two at least while you cross the realm and get some attrition so you lose something through teleport. And as far as being on the receiving end; you could have warnings for a turn before someone comes out. Also if the portals had a much smaller chaos corruption effect and where more or less permanent so you could plan around them map-wise.

But keeping the portals for faster movement options seems really important to me for the larger map.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

The heal is ok, but I find the +MA better. Even the +Vigor is better when you take them with bear cav.
The +vigor is also really important for your hybrid melee line. Ranged units can chew through vigor fast and being tired makes your relatively serviceable melee fold. The fact that it is tied to an upgrade that gives the patriarch perfect vigor helps too.

I haven't decided on +MA or +heals for a second yet. Or just get one of each.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm not actually sure that the "reveal sigils" option has redundancy protection.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well that could explain how some people are having a very different time with the sigil reveals.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I mean Katarin also uses patriarchs just as much and has the main temple of Ursun in her capitol. It seems more like political disagreements than outright war, especially since it gets resolved peacefully.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The faster you rush them down the fewer fights you have and the more you can mitigate your loss with the Ursun invocation. I barely lost the race to 50 but am easily going to win the rest.

I probably could have won if I had pushed for more churches instead of cash.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

I'm not sure what the point of the Gryphon Legion cavalry is supposed to be in the Kislev roster. They are the same tier as bear cavalry and seem significantly worse in most respects.
I feel like they should have gotten an anti large bonus and war bears an anti infantry one, but that's at a glance. I haven't been able to field them much yet.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, for whatever reason WH has always had a loving ridiculous patching system. One reason I'm not sure I like their "we'll roll out small fixes regularly" strategy.

For instance, I had a small 45min break to play today that I was looking forward to but now, nope, just patching. I mean, I'll survive, but it is a minor irritant.

e: also despite me trying as hard as I can to make steam update automatically it often refuses to do so.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 24, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Twigand Berries posted:

I just did his realm, as Nurgle. Here’s a tip, if you fight your battles there will always be some mortal units to run off the map providing you with a quick auto resolve on the remnants in a second battle to get another reveal. I’ve never seen so many complaints from people who seem to refuse to play half the game.
It may be when you do his realm because every single one of the roaming armies has been composed of demons only on the first time the rifts open.

Also playing out a battle manually because I take 0 casualties on manual and lose almost 20% of my army on autoresolve isn't actually fun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Bear cav are anti large monster killers, Gryphon Legion are anti-infantry shock cav.

Yeah I did some playing with them. Gryphon legion and their 70+ charge damage is pretty hard hitting, and gets buffed a lot more relatively if you use swiftwing. They end up having a weapon strength equal to the bear riders (admittedly off the charge) but have 5x the models.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Hi guys, Warhams 2 question:

I started an Oxylotl campaign (Hard/Hard SFO) on Vortex map, and I'm kind of underwhelmed by him. Seems impossible to make money as I'm just getting constantly swarmed by Rats, Dark Elves, Vikings, and Chaos rebellions (which wouldn't be so bad if it were not for the Hellcannons).

Is it worth buffing Oxy's ranged attack? It seems hard to get him to fire sometimes, as he is so short and can't fire over anybody and I have to micromanage him to plink away at stuff. The missions are easy, I'm just unable to defend my homeland because of the constant swarms and no walls. Should I just abandon the starting province and move somewhere more Dino-Friendly like West Africa or Mexico to use as a base to pursue missions?

Does buffing 'Weapon Strength" actually buff the ranged weapon, or only melee?
You might have better luck in the WH2 thread, especially with an SFO specific question. Because SFO does a fuckton with economy and army balance it really changes things up. The non-SFO version of that campaign doesn't really have much of an issue with money and defense iirc.

As for getting him to fire, he is so stealthy that unless you leave him out to dry for cavalry to swarm, you shouldn't really need him behind allies so he should always have line of sight.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 25, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Kislev's economy isnt helped by the fact that its economy buildings suck rear end. 2000 gold for the tier 2 income building to go up by 50 income (100 to 150) then 4000 gold for another 50 (150 to 200) is loving rear end. They got the growth/PO building right in that it goes 20 => 40 => 60 growth and 1 => 2 => 3 PO for the three tiers so its actually kinda worth it for the extra dosh.

I swear to god there must be some rear end in a top hat at CA who is involved with balancing the economy buildings that thinks the above is fair and balanced. Probably the same guy that tried nerfing port income.
The market building in their capitol slots has no such issue. That goes up by 200/tier and gives a +1% bonus to all markets everywhere, and costs are very reasonable too.

I really think the oblasts are supposed to feel like secondary concerns to these huge jeweled cities.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I haven't conquered a major settlement that isn't a Kislev city yet (well, I did take Hellpit in a previous game but forgot) but can you get t5 recruitment buildings there? If not you're going to be hardcapped to 6 Frost Maidens, 1 base, 2 from research, and 1 each from the t5 ice guard recruitment building.

That certainly makes Ice Witches more useful.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 25, 2022