Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Legend was just asked what the most he's leveled up in one battle is, and he said ten :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The lack of blood in combat in 3 is hilarious given that that Khorne realm has literal rivers, lakes, and fountains full of blood

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The dice ones are stupidly easy but I don't bother even trying with the other ones, I really should just mod them out

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm a dumbass who spent $60 just to play The Empire after I got WH2 so I can see why they havent dropped the price permanently yet

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Have they said anything about Katarin and Kostaltyn still having their rivalry mechanic in Immortal Empires?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

drat I might actually pick grombrindal if he starts within elf punching distance.

An early game where I get to roast elves sounds like a good-rear end time, unless they take away his Irondrakes in which case I'm boycotting the game

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I would love the Luminark if it didn't decide to just not fire half the time

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Chemtrailologist posted:

This was a cool post. Thanks for the answers everyone.

Seconding this, those were fun to read

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/wlz8ym/new_menu/

Looks like the new main menu leaked. Can anyone translate the... Chinese, I think? I'm sure it's the usual new game, continue etc. but still

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2_XEj_ZRz4

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I love that your second lord is just named Knife

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Cardboard Fox posted:

I've always wanted to be better at using direct line firing units like Irondrakes, Ratling Guns, and Handgunners. My go to ranged unit is always bows because they can arc fire over your troops and walls.

Lately, I've been testing the Dwarf fllamethrower units in vs AI mode and am having a bit too much fun, but I'm hitting a lot of my front line melee guys with friendly fire. Since you can't just place these ranged units behind your melee line, I was trying to come up with the best formation before the battle, and then figure out how to get the most usage out of them once the melee line has charged.

I came up with this formation with the Dwarfs:

The Irondrakes can't be put behind the Longbeards because they'll just do too much friendly fire, and I don't like placing them in front for the initial charge because 80 range and their slow speed will not give me enough time to get my melee units in front. Instead, I can put them to the side, make the line wider, and charge the melee line in.

It's been pretty successful in vs AI mode against orcs.

During combat:

This is where the problems begin. I can still fire on the Orcs from the side, but I take some friendly fire damage and I don't think I do maximum damage. If I decide to move them into the Orc line to fire from behind, I waste way too much time, and I can be put in a bad situation if this was a real battle with cavalry and monster units.

Use lords and heroes to blob up enemy units then torch them with impunity

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I might be weird in that I quite enjoyed the big sigmar statue map, because I liked the fights that happened over the little sunken roads with the raised embankments on either side and that was always where I set up my force.

Yeah that map is fine, once they reworked it so the middle wasn't just solid goddamn forest it became way more fun

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I try to snuff out Skaven as quick as I can, generally. Fighting a Clan Skyre doomstack every few turns is awful

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

John Mirra posted:

Just wrapped up the Huntsmarshall's campaign and it's one of the most fun in the game. Building up your squad of merry heroes is fun and you have to pick your targets well due to the escalating threat mechanic.

Also, Markus Wulfhart and two other heroes buff the poo poo out of huntsmen and I would grind low to medium armies to dust before they ever reached me. Using the skill that lets you put your entire army in the vanguard deployment zone is amazing as well.

It's so good, just steadily expanding and getting units sent to you on the way instead of building up your provinces is such a nice change for the Empire

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I've only played Cathay a bit but the low upkeep building seems pretty essential, letting an army stay there for nearly nothing is extremely good

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Haven't they been reiterating the same game engine for like a decade now? It's hard to imagine them pulling off something like 40k or WW1 compared to their current games.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

This all looks cool as hell, except the Empire Spearmen being one of the RoRs is kinda meh. I hope they have something more exciting than just expert charge deflect or unbreakable.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It follows the tradition of Archaon's invasion barely making it past a single Kislev settlement in TW2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'll probably play her first when the DLC drops