Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"
Cons: whoever designed this Tzeench realm of chaos deserves a slap in the head

Pros: I have 2 Hellpit abominations and 2 warpfire cannons in my chaos armies and I've never felt better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"

toasterwarrior posted:

Do you get corrupted by getting the Tzeentchian boons in his realm? I assume not, it feels like you need to get them in order to scope out your path to the Daemon Prince.

Finding the correct path is easy enough. My issue is mostly how clunky traversing the portals feels: you lose your movement for accidentally picking a boon, you lose your movement after entering a portal and you can't interact with a portal if any army is too close to it (which tends to happen way too often)

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

You can get Demon Prince up to 45% phys resistance and 160 armor. Would be good if every demon faction wasn't soaked with magic damage and armor piercing

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

I remember TW 2 and the vortex campaign being tedious, not good, unfun experience. Skaven roster was what it was, but the economy was close to what Nurgle has now. You couldn't autoresolve a single battle against lizardmen as even with three stacks the odds were heavily against you. Food mechanics were awful and you had to raid your own provinces to stay in green. I resolved my money problems by having one lord sail the seas hunting treasure islands. Played it through precisely twice, first with Queek, then much later again with Tehenhauin.

Am... am I the weird one? I like the new siege maps. They are much more stimulating and theres so much going on vs the old cubes and boxes and singular walls and streets you neer got to walk.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Adding to this, I played the campaign with demon prince, once and don't know if I want to do it again with other factions any time soon. Cathay and Kislev bore me and Nurgle's start is so hellishly painful the first twenty turns sucked all joy out of me. Maybe N'kari. N'kari seems cool.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

My favorite is the random Kurgan warlord called Soren Kalsarikannit, or as translated Soren "Drank his pants off"

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Having observed several faction wars events, I'm of the opinion that dwarves indeed suck hard in mp domination or land battle. They usually get defeated in the first or second round of the event and have never made it to the final round. It's not because their units are found to be lacking, it is because they are predictable as gently caress. You don't have proper army variety when playing dwarves. Also, factions like skaven hard counter them. Other factions that are predictable (like Brettonia) have mobility on their side so they at least fare a lil better.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Multiplayer is a good measure of flat balance overall. It tells us that dwarves are a bottom tier faction.

Now don't get me wrong, I think this is precisely as it should be. Dwarves are supposed to be trash. Everything is just as it should be. Stunties are the faction for people who find afk clickers too challenging.

Queek is the true warlord-master of the Eight Peaks.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

Are there any units in the goblin or skaven melee lines that can go toe to toe with dwarf warriors?

Maybe stormvermin? Rat ogres I guess. But like, normal rats or gobbos, I don't think so? They go from utter trash to "acceptable infantry for a human to use, at the circus" and none of them even touch dwarfs on sheer resiliance.

Yes? Big uns, black orks and nasty skulkers are the go to picks when you battle against dwarves. Trolls too. Add a nightgoblin fanatic and you have a proper hammer.

With skaven it gets trickier as stormvermin are a poor hammer and are more meant to be your line holders. You want to use infantry to push through (disclaimer:don't) you use plague monks, cencer bearers and death runners. Death runners are devastating against dwarves.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Carcer posted:

Unlike other t1 orcs and golbins you can't turn your back on them as dwarfs. Otherwise no not really.

I wouldn't say skulkers can go toe to toe, that implies a straight up fight. I don't think night goblins, even with fanatics, can win a straight up brawl with dwarf warriors either.

Skulker is a flanking unit. If you deploy it to the frontlines without support from boiz or regular goblins you are just being Arghy

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Grimorg. Always Grimog

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

This thread has reached reddit levels of bad

Slaneeshi nobody stares at a snake and calls it an introduction trailer and nobody bats an eye

but when the famboy favorite doesn't punch at least 5 Grimgrogs everyone loses their minds

I think I'm going to try Azazel first.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

I'm here for that sweet Slaneesh propaganda.

Sexy Festus/Villich art where?

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The greatest issue with skaven at launch wasn't the food mechanics. I didn't mind those. No, the issue was the fricking autoresolve. I had to fight every battle against lizardmen as even against broken armies and wall-less settlements the game showed skaven armies losing decisively.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

That Pontus meme pic, but it's LegendOfTotalWar screaming not wanting to play with the newly fixed elfconomy,

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Iamgoofball posted:

I don't understand all the Nakai hate; my buddy plays vanilla Nakai snd steamrolls the map on vh/legendary pretty reliably

he's been incredibly shocked by all the nakai and nakai adjacent buffs in TW3 so far and thinks they are complete overkill

One issue is that he is a non-pick in multiplayer where none of his bonuses properly apply. Add the fact that he is a large entity with a relatively slow moving speed, when every opponent knows to bring Anti-large (because you got dinos) and you have wasted funds on a lord that's more of a sitting duck. He supposedly debuffs enemy single entities but tends to lose duels against other slow foot lords because his stats suck, lol.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Give Grimgror the nuke when facing the dwarves.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

No I mean like a real nuke, just like Ikit has. Then whenever someone decides to play dwarves and they face Grimrog they realize they shoudn't.

And it'll be good.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Arghy posted:

I'm on turn 66 and i'm getting dog piled pretty hard by orks and skaven, queek actually took 8 peaks and is now sending waves of rats into my defensive rune lord armies while thorgrim wipes out the vampires. It's getting pretty tense because grimgog has threatened to come multiple times but he appears to be distracted somewhere in the dark lands. I had an insane fight with 3 vampire stacks that only turned when my drakefires got a flank on the zombie mass and let loose

I fought a 2 stack with lovely units with my walled 14 unit garrison and loving wow. You can't defend poo poo, i tried the battle 3 times eventually turtling and i just could not kill units fast enough before my defenders got overwhelmed and routed. Until there's a mod don't count on defending a walled minor against a 20 stack. Dawi are super hosed because they don't have any ability to punish blobs unless they add a runesmith with rune of wrath to the roster otherwise the AI will just push past your units and capture the point. You should be able to dedicate a fortress settlement with another garrison building because walls are a total joke.

Everything-all is as it should be

Horned Rat has seen-blessed the thread.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

On a serious note I've learned with Ku'gath that defending settlements isn't worth the funds or the effort. The enemy will manage a force big enough to crush your unwalled settlements 90% of time so the point of defense isn't to rely on expensive defensive building slots that are slow to build and lovely, but to create a buffer zone deep enough that the invading armies never get to the valuable starting provinces where all the good stuff is before your armies intercept.

There's this one minor settlement on the border of Cathay I use as my frontier that has changed hands about 10 times now. few times by ogres, then the cathay, and now finally it was krumped by greenskin giga-waaaagh.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Carcer posted:

I'm pretty certain if actual dwarves saw how arghy used them they'd shave whatever hair he had on his body and then chuck him into a skaven hole.

This is how the Gob-lobber was invented.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Sinatrapod posted:

I hate their hats so much.

Sir, this is Total war, Warhat 3 thread. Please issue a correction immediately, sir

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

AI Noctilus is doing some weird poo poo: he has +10 settlements in turn 100 on vh and none of the major ones are above tier 3.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Dandywalken posted:

Much like Arghy's posts, now that I think about it......

This is heresy. This is grudging

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Tiler Kiwi posted:

he's got such stupidity high leadership that he can withstand army losses, too

on top of that, he's the most generic idiot dwarf in existence. uparmored little poo poo with the sole personality trait of revanchism, more of a haunt of the past than the actual ghosts he mopes with, united with them in an act of tedious self veneration that is more incestuously masturbatory than a slaaneshi cult. and i don't like his color scheme neither.

Queek alt spotted

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Third World Reagan posted:

I recommend not to play dwarves or lizardmen as they teach you bad habits in gameplay and posting

What if instead of having Arghy... You had two? One for dwarves, one for lizards

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

They got this all screwed up:

Total war warhammer 3: Dead game? No, new updates!

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

First time playing Kislev, ever (Kostaltyn RoC Very hard). I really, really like the hybrid units combined with the unbreakable mechanic. With proper management and formation, even a tier one kossar stack can pull above it's weight. And that's basically how the entire campaign went. Nothing but kossars. I like spearmanii, I like kossars. I kinda hosed up my opening moves with Kostaltyn and didn't occupy Erengrad until turn 50 or something. Big mistake. Instead I waged war in far North and ended up doing the same diplomatic play I did with Kairos where only way to peace was to completely obliterate every other warring faction. There were norscans, skaven, chaos armies and loving wood elves everywhere. Investing in buildings was waste of time. War happened with several stacks of tier 1 kossars. I didn't see positive income till turn 70 or so and all the money came from sacking dark fortresses and destroying armies. I lost my capital 3 or four times in the process. By the time I finally confederated with Kataryn chaos had nothing left and I was number one in strength by wide margin. Kislev needs the minor settlement battles back. Without them the campaign start is hell. Probably the hardest campaign I've played since TW2 Skarsnik. This is the closest one can get to feel the original Medieval Total war 2 experience

Unlike with chaos factions, Kislev campaign mechanics are pretty meh. Mostly it's passive modifiers sprinkled around. Might as well not be there. The Ice court mechanic and the atamans are another layer of clicks and notifications I wish didn't exist. They provide options, but those options do not feel like meaningful choises. Just another layer of modifiers to be thrown into the play.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Dandywalken posted:

Its more of a "Kazuuka" imo :smug:

thread title, drat it

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Total Warhammer 3 - Hats, we've hats, we've the hats

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Heard there's a new dlc coming so checked the store and pre-ordered. CaoCao but dragon is something I def want. Then came here to check the thread and get hyped...

...I suddenly had a flashback. Back in game 2 the TW community got absolutely mad when VCoast included a Legendary Lord who was an "ugly" woman "not established in the lore".

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Naw like the reasons are as far apart as can be, but it's this level of energy that makes TW fans truly unique.

Thread mentioned how Paradox somehow manages to do things correctly and I am wondering 'how'?. They too announced an increase to their prices and how they were reducing their output. The reaction was pretty similar, if not quieter because not many play Paradox games.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Dramicus posted:

They didn't threaten their customers though. In fact they spent an entire year doing free updates to fix the game even though no one bought it.

i mean like, I really love Victoria 3. It's an odd game with janky features, but to me it is one of my favorite games. It's still problematic. Full of special spice that comes with strategy simulators in general. Systems that clash with each other, AI that is overly complex and an idiot at the same time. Got it's first DLC that was widely hated. Reasons? "Too pricey for too little content", "locked free content behind a paywall", "introduced mechanics that the game didn't need while leaving old problematic systems untouched". Mostly negative. It's the same loving discussion we are having right here right now in this thread.

I'm not saying people here don't make proper points - i don't know, dlc is not out yet so can't say how much I overpaid for my package of bugs. More that my point is that there are similarities between the two companies. Similarities that seem like a symptom of something way bigger happening in the entire industry and blaming CA won't help much.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Third World Reagan posted:

I do this almost every patch, but I generally ask the thread what do you think will be a new bug introduced with the patch.

Some times we are way the gently caress off on this game.

so what new bugs do you expect?

I'm feeling bold, units with negative mass

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Does the AI still send it's lord on a solo suicide charge if it is flying? That thing has been a staple since the first game and if they finally fixed it I'm calling it an improvement

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The only campaign I ended up playing after sacrificing 22€ to dead game dev spirits was ...Festus. I tried Yuan Bo, but then watching MP streams gave me an itch to play more Nurgle. Nurgle campaigns on legendary continue until Fun finally manifests, dammit.

Don't get me wrong, got a good look at the new stuff in MP. Crowmen are a solid addition, so are the new lords. The war drum ... It has a point, but I haven't managed to use it yet.

The AI... well, it is no longer self destructively stupid - like how it would rush with dogs and light cav and fliers when it had advantage in mobility, or how it would snipe your lord with archers and artillery to the point of breaking formation. One could point how the old one did not understand formations at all it simply tried to appear like it did. The new one is ... better in this regard, yes. Like, it is fascinating to see this one deploy units and utilize terrain in a manner a good multiplayer veteran would. Been several battles where I was impressed by how the AI used the map to it's advantage. It's no longer running separately acting unit cards, but rather seems to understand it is commanding an army.

...then again, it is so much worse somehow, than the previous one. Like, it creates a solid formation and holds it, but then it has no idea what to do when there is a breach. Flanking is now laughably easy: AI reacts sloppily to fast skirmish units. Sometimes the AI sacrifices units in bad trades to secure a flank or a certain spot in the map. Also had situations where the computer just broke. I had an army that was pretty small, few heroes and SEM. The AI could not grasp what it was facing. It kept marching units in long lines around the map and ignored my units even as I was attacking.

The current Ai is, weirdly, bit like the one in game 1, back when the computer hadn't been designed to do much. Except the current one feels like it is so overly designed that it has too many simultaneous orders to follow and it breaks down instead.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Show me a mod that turns all the factions into variations of Pontus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The funny thing about Ku'gath is that he is sometimes thought to be the best melee lord above all lords in PvP. High melee defense, debuffs attackers, has absurd amount of health and is guarded by the best healing magic the game can offer. I've seen him defeat Skarbrand in 1v1 duel.