Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I didn't mind Vortex but I absolutely hate the Chaos realm mechanics in this, just makes things an absolute chore to play. I finished one campaign and never plan on finishing another unless they make serious changes to it.

The rough edges and lack of polish I can get over but I'm just not having any fun with campaigns in this one. I'm also pretty sick of settlement battles already, I get what they were going for with the new siege stuff but it just falls on its face for me. I want to fight field battles, sieges were already tedious and are still tedious, just more involved now.

Overall I think I'm pretty unhappy with the state of the game at launch now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Packinham posted:

I think Reddit is right and they have right to be, this isn’t a new game, WH2 and WH3 are essentially just expansion packs. This is the third game they have made where almost all the mechanics, factions and everything else has been done.

It is worse in almost every way, performance, gameplay, bugs. Like, I’m not going to flip out like Reddit is doing, I’m just going to wait. That said, this was a total faceplant with the hyped third game in a series. It’s totally fixable, I’m just worried it’s going to take far too long to get to parity with WH2 because there is no real reason to play WH3 right now.

Yeah I agree with your take on III. It's just not fun to me and seems worse than II in nearly every way. There are a few QOL additions contrasted against many regressions, bugs and poor design choices. It turns out that I don't enjoy Chaos factions anywhere near as much as I thought and the campaign itself sucks. Too much unfun bullshit and tweaking dumb stuff like negative traits doesn't make them a good idea in the first place. I also don't like most of the changes to settlement and siege mechanics, good ideas that were poorly executed.

Warhammer II had it's tedium for sure but generally I had the motivation to keep playing in one form or another. Even Vortex had it's moments and at least you could largely ignore the race or checkmate a faction if they made it before you. Anyways yeah I keep checking the thread periodically but can't be bothered with the current state of the game.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really dislike the Chaos realms, I don't know how they're ever going to make that "fun" to go through. The art design is off the charts but they're loving miserable to interact with. I get that it's thematically accurate, unfortunately I already have one lovely job to deal with in life and I'm not looking for more in my leisure time.

The roadmap is fine, I am nursing tennis elbow for awhile anyway so whatever but a lot of this stuff was so obvious and that's why many people are frustrated.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Not sure I like Nkari on Ulthuan proper, tbh. Close, yes, but like with Grom and Ulthuan I'd rather start close but still have some buildup before going after my campaign enemy.

I like it, makes sense from the books/lore since NKari is obsessed with the twins and helps shake up the donut.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

TK biggest problem is the early game and having enough oomph to be able to actually push over Orcs and lizards and such when your army is still like 12 cards of basic skeleton spears with no ability to spin up a secondary army for the first dozen turns. Once you start getting enough constructs to matter the problems level out some. I feel like if they upped the caps and gave you some free recruitment on Nehekaran Warriors, horse archers, and other T2 gubbins to help beef up your initial army while you tech up it would go a long way too helping them out. Give them a second generic lord from the word go or a way to unlock it in the first 4-5 turns like when they wipe out their first rival.

I don't normally have an issue with the early game, it's pretty easy to survive until you get your second army because the AI is brain dead. It just makes the early turns boring circuits of recruiting chaff and waiting. What's lacking is some form of early AP. Skarbrand would be really annoying to deal with because he has so much mass and is overpowered as hell but he's due for a nerf at some point.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

Ammo having to replenish is one of my most wanted campaign changes.

That sounds really boring to be honest. The game has enough stuff slowing campaigns down as it is, we don’t need more reasons to sit around twiddling thumbs for ammo of all things. The campaign layer is at its best when its thin IMO.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hope this and the DLC go on sale for the "relaunch" on the 23rd. I played the Gamepass version when it came out since it was like $80 + taxes in our crazy canadian dollars.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I sort of flick through videos from Legend, Turin and Enticity. GB of Grudges I will actually watch a full video because he streamlines his stuff and respects your time. Turin I watch a lot less of now because I don't like the Domination format at all, land battles are much more enjoyable to watch someone play. I understand it's better for them with tournament stuff but as a viewer I don't care, Domination just isn't very fun to watch. Legend's stuff is good but way too long so I just sort of get little tidbits and watch his disaster battles.

Oh and MercytheMad can be fun once in awhile, gets into costume and whatnot.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Third World Reagan posted:

Watch me go in from every angle at once with 4-5 armies and never once have to deal with a barricade since I am not trying to funnel my forces into a single path.

It's not that they are difficult, they are just too frequent and not very enjoyable to me.

The wheel picker has given me Mannfred as my first campaign, going to be fun!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

In my Archaon campaign I managed to wear Malus down by tarpitting him with chaos spawn and then peppering him with pink horrors and my Tzeench sorcerer spamming blue fire, but man he is by far the most annoying LL to kill. Theoretically you can just kite him around and let the constant damage from the possession wear himself out, but once he gets his mount that's a hell of a lot easier said than done especially if you have a bunch of infantry left on the field.

I usually deal with Malus by getting him to transform then kiting him around and hitting him with spirit leech, ranged, etc. He's a terror if you are melee heavy but if you know you're going to be interacting with him in the early game then it's usually pretty easy to plan around.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
What should I be doing as N'Kari? I killed Chrace and Avelorn just goes nuts on Saphery. It seems like your cults take way too many resources to setup early on. Do I just go after Cothique? I hit a wall with Eltharion and it just feels like my replenishment is terrible. Just feels awful to play this faction after Belakor or Archaon.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok I asked this awhile ago but it got buried in patch chat and Festus nonsense - how am I supposed to be playing N'Kari in IE? I'm generally fine with most of the difficult starts but for some reason Slaanesh is just baffling to me. Should I be killing the elves? Vassalizing them? My early units are mostly sandpaper and getting access to Chaos Warriors will take awhile. What is the general flow for this campaign? Should I be establishing a bunch of cults? My replenishment is godawful and the elves have a lot of ranged stuff so even manual battles are leaving me with a lot of downtime. I can kill off Chrace but then Avelorn usually nukes Saphery and I'm left to deal with Eltharion or worse, go pay Avelorn a visit which would not be fun with those gates. Everything about this campaign seems absurdly slow except the actual battles.

I don't know what it is but I can't wrap my head around how I'm intended to play this faction. Maybe I should fart around with it in RoC but I hate RoC :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Noir89 posted:

Ok in front of the computer now! From memory, I just headed south-east after taking Chrace, taking out Cothique, then Yvresse one after another. Saphery died fast but I might have lucked out in that the Dark Elves that start in the north held off for a long while. I made sure to make friends with them to keep my northern border safe. Liberal use of forests and a bait lord to get the AI out of the cities was probably the most important part, the second is to foster good relations and NAPs with every none-HE on Ulthuan, even if you plan to kill them later. Focus on murdering the HE first. I did'nt really sack anything, but my build priority was growth/cash in a balance and targeted units/garrisons second(Daemonettes and cav basically). I always slapped the corruption commandment down first to get my corruption up for PO, even if it is less cash I felt it was more important to be able to focus on killing HE. I alternated the main building chain for bonus corruption/cheaper infrastructure when it was time to upgrade.

If you do the attack from multiple angles tactic on settlements, and lead with N'kari so the AI bunches up for sweet daemonette flanking bonuses, your demons just cut through anything in no time. Just make sure to tie up any ranged ASAP, you can almost always get some fiends or cav behind the enemy since everyone is so fast.

After eating up every eastern Ulthuan faction, I had to send my second lord home to fend off Moussilon but basically standing N'kari in the open against one and a half Lothern stack and winning a rather tough fight right on the border to the Eataine province opened them up. After I got Lothern itself, it was basically a mopup of Tyrion and Allariel one after another. For me at least the other HE factions on eastern Ulthuan was busy with Count Noctilus and he even won and conquered all of them, it would probably be alot harder if he hadn't so I might have gotten lucky if that is not the standard outcome.

Units I used a mix of cav and daemonettes, my starting Fiends(lost my charios somewhere) and a bunch of marauders as chaff basically, nothing to fancy. Whenever I got around 5-6k income I got another stack up and running to help with defence/expansion and the most I did outside Ulthuan before I got it all was sack Mousillon and Lyonesse with my third lord when I got the opportunity. Tech I focused on the first Perfume first, then picker up Enriching Toil in the second, and then mostly unit upkeep/bonus techs when those opened up.

Edit: Oh I should add, the only vassalizing I have done was recreate Saphery as one and starting a bunch of cults then dominating Morathi. I picked up the Empire as well for fun but that was after all the HE factions where dead.

Edit edit: Oh right, another important part about getting corruption up. If you summon a disciple stack in a corrupted province it's a full stack. So when launching a new invasion summoning one to help out can really tip the odds and catch the AI offguard!

Thanks for writing this up, I'll try to use it as a bit of a template on the weekend!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok gently caress the N'Kari campaign, I'm really sick of this bullshit. No replenishment and it takes forever to get cults going because devotees are scarce even if you repeatedly sack. Avelorn destroys Saphery every time within 12 turns then sweeps north to attack me and the Dark Elf faction there. Yvresse war decs or Cothique brings them into a war with me. It doesn't matter how good I am at the battles, I can't handle multiple 20 stacks from Avelorn and Yvresse on two fronts. No economy for a second stack, can't spawn a devotee army because all of my devotees are used already. I've done every battle flawlessly I've tried the advice from both posts and can't get this going, it is a really stupid campaign that seems like you need to thread the needle or you can't get off the ground at all. This really needs a balance pass, you need more devotees per victory or more replenishment so that you can be more aggressive. Or enough money for another loving stack.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

How do you play N'kari? Seems like I should build tall and use agents to mark factions a lot, but that feels really passive and boring.

N'Kari is one of the harder campaigns in my opinion, it's very frustrating and random unless you just play on Normal and paint Ulthuan. If you don't spam agents then Avelorn usually dumpsters Saphery and Yvresse/Tyrion kill off the Orks then one or all go after you which is a game over. You can vassalize Cothique for awhile as a buffer but they have high racial resistance and IMO it's a waste of time. I've had one lucky campaign start where the stars aligned and I was able to get a foothold but it is a slow and really boring campaign even if that happens. It's one redeeming factor is that the battles themselves are super fun but N'Kari is tissue paper so be careful, don't square him off against Tyrion or something unless you've got a surround.

I used to do Imrik campaigns for fun on L/VH in Warhammer 2 and N'Kari is just a really flawed campaign right now. It's hard for all of the wrong reasons unlike say Mannfred which is a challenging start but ultimately pretty fair. Slaanesh and Empire both need a lot of tweaking, their faction mechanics are semi-broken and annoying to deal with.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

With Settra in IE I discovered an early expansion gimmick you can do. At around turn 6 you get a dilemma to get a hero, pick the Necrotect. Manfred controls Ka Sabar, rather than capture it outright you instead wait till he's 2 turns away and sack it. Jump back to replenish a bit then next turn come back and raze it. Use the Necrotect to "scout" the ruins which does nothing but has a 100% success chance and this triggers Invocation of Ptra.

Then buy the special Necrotect and use it to colonize the ruins. Viola, you now have a tier 3 major settlement at like turn 8 which can build an oasis (growth money and public order all in one). Easy enough to follow up and crush the vampires afterwards.

I'm playing a Settra IE campaign and never got the dilemma, I remember this from TW2. Also Mannfred spent like 10 turns dancing around the desert just outside of movement range and also seems to know exactly where my ambushes are placed, I almost restarted the campaign out of exasperation.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hryme posted:

Minor settlement battles are a plague. I really hope they rework this. I am not interested in doing millions of them every campaign.

I modded them into field battles, they just aren't fun at all. My own fault for complaining about sieges, be careful what you wish for.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

KPC_Mammon posted:

What is the best way to use ogre camps? They seem very limited, especially early game.

I'm forcing myself to try the faction but they really gross me out. Having to choose between guy too fat to get up and guy so hungry he ate his own hands is really unpleasant and off-putting. Why do goons like them so much?

Ogres are in a lovely place right now in SP and MP, I wish I hadn't even bothered with the DLC but I guess hope springs eternal that CA might fix them in two years or whatever. Camps are loving annoying to deal with due to lack of mobility (absurd that they can't be moved) and their lords are awful. They are somewhat fun in combat against the AI but the campaigns are a slog and in MP you will lose a majority of your matches with them.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm still going to mod out minor settlement battles entirely but so far so good on the rest of the changes. One thing I didn't like was the change to Oxyotl's teleport having a one turn cooldown. It's loving fun and campaign only, who cares? Looking forward to finally playing Dwarves again.

Factions that need love:

- I still think Ogres need to be a Horde faction with settlements, their campaign is just odd
- Vampire Coast needs a minor refresh at some point, maybe a DLC
- Nurgle still needs some love

Overall though I think the patch will cure the vast majority of issues I've been running into.

quote:

and Drycha catches a small nerf and literally no fixes to her quests lol

Blargh, I totally missed that one.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
They really want Giants into the multiplayer meta but any decent player will bring a few missile units and focus them down fast. Hell the AI is pretty decent at this now even.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I haven't done a Kislev campaign since the patch but it definitely needed some tuning, I will back him on that. It's barely manageable by veteran players on Normal, let alone higher difficulties where you have to thread the needle and get lucky. Thematic but it's not a super rewarding campaign.

Northern Provinces though, rebuild the gate and go take the fight to them. Works every game.

I still hate the N'Kari campaign despite loving the backstory/lore.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

BadOptics posted:

Definitely gonna give this one a go

My two UI go twos are:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=27905661 <---Replaces chevrons with numbers/XP circle

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=27905661 <---Makes the building icons become more complex as you upgrade

What mod is the XP/circles one? The link isn't working.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

BadOptics posted:

Hmm...they were working but seems like they broke even for me. It's "EXPERIENCE RANKS" by Addan Deith. The other is Building Progression Icons III by Spartan VI. If you filter by UI and most subscribed in the workshop you'll find them on the first page.

Edit: See if this link works ---> https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2790566124

That one worked, thanks man appreciate it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
2.2 bug - Boris never gets his armour from the second quest despite successfully finishing it. Tried multiple times with different campaigns ugh. I will say that the Boris campaign is the best Kislev one. I sail back and take Praag, Hellpit then just shore up the flanks and settle in for awhile to deal with the many threats coming. I’ve figured out the key to Kislev campaigns is to not waste money developing minor settlements. They are impossible to defend (even more so now) and the money they make isn’t worth the risk of sack/loss. I let Katarina deal with stuff to the south and Kost to the west, eventually you can deal with them when it’s safer.

Boris with a stack of bears is totally nuts. I just absolutely demolished a high level Archaon stack like it was nothing.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man if you wreck Malekith early as Grombrindal you can just roll over everything else. I nap'd Alith Anar, the Drowned left me alone for the first 40 turns and Taurox is off somewhere to the south bumping up against Morathi. Hellebron was loving annoying to take out but 4 thunderers dropped her quick. The only annoying part as Grombrindal is clearing out the lovely Norscan settlements up north. They're all red but somehow you'll get Valkia or etc summoning a full stack of wreckers from a tier 1 turd. The AIs cheats are just nuts sometimes. Khatep tried to take my southern settlement but I destroyed him with a hastily recruited lord and the garrison settlement. He wanted peace so I took it and got a nap to cover me for awhile. This campaign is basically over, I'm nearly Tier 4 and my economy is rolling strong, I have most of the DE stuff and I'm clearing east to Sigvald and have a new stack to the south.

Starting a Settra campaign as soon as this is done. Can't wait to chase Mannfred's stacks around the desert just outside of my movement range for 20 turns.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh man, I had a nightmare campaign as Grombrindal. I managed to knock off Malekith quickly, but I had to deal with Valkia and her Norsca vassal sending a few stacks at me all the time (which did have a side benefit of keeping Hellbron at arm's length while I turtled in Naggarond), Cylostra sending a few stacks at me every few turns, and Taurox being at some annoying spot in the mountains where he was hard to get to but kept sending stacks of junk at me to die. I want to start a new game as him once we get another patch.

Yeah early on Cylostra ended up going to war with Alith Anar and the other DE minors so she basically ignored me, I think that was pretty key. I was able to deal with Valkia pretty easily, it's just annoying playing whack a mole with those inhospitable settlements up top. I ended up razing them all to the ground but of course stuff manages to pop up anyway. The biggest surprise so far was that Malus Darkblade randomly appeared near where the Ogres start, one of those "Hag Graef re-emerges!" events, not sure if it was a rebellion or whatever because I wasn't really watching that front. He was a pain in the rear end, recruited up a full stack in 2 turns and he's a nightmare to deal with as Dwarves since you can't kite him easily.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
MercytheMad, LegendofTotalWar, Turin, Zerkovich, ItalianSpartacus (when he doesnt ramble) and HeirofCarthage are all in my Warhammer youtube subs.

I used to like GB of Grudges but he just spams way too much low quality content now so going to unsub. I don't need a video a day man, chill out.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Chad Jihad posted:

And yet Legend remains popular!!!1

Legend does this a lot but he also does a bit of everything. His campaigns and certain disaster battles tend to be optimized so you'll see him doing the lord/hero dance to waste ammo but I've also seen plenty of videos where it's not an option and he plays "normally". He varies up his stuff enough that I am rarely bored.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone actually fixed the Warhammer III making the GPU space heat your office issue? I never experienced this with WH2. I tried a framerate cap at 60fps last night but it didn't help. I've tried dropping settings and etc. It's really weird, WH2 can run all day and it's fine, WH3 makes my entire PC fan curve ramp up to turbine engine. I have a well ventilated case, room ambient is fine, AIO cooler for the CPU and the GPU is an eVGA 3080ti. I know they run a bit hot at load but this is way worse than most other games.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

Fog was a huge, huge culprit for me. I'd recommend downloading one of the mods that disable that poo poo on the campaign map which seems to be approaching crysis levels of unoptimized performance

Hmm ok, I'll look into that thanks. I'm tired of the office upstairs feeling like a sauna after two turns in IE.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Played a Thorek campaign on VH and it was a real clusterfuck. I made the mistake of expanding north and east simultaneously, I got into a hellwar on all fronts with Kroq-gar, Khalida, Skaven, Kairos and Queek. Thank god Teclis was on my side because otherwise it would've been campaign over. It took like 40 turns to sort out that mess, Queek can get hosed with his bullshit stacks that spawn in a turn. After that I went further east, destroyed Ku'gath and bailed out Imrik from Grimgor. Chaos invasion triggered and I joined the ordertide with Ungrim and etc. I ended up going the distance and winning the long campaign, crisis was just vampires and they died before I even saw them. Super fun campaign, Ironbrows stack is fantastic and I made fun armies with flame cannons and poo poo for my secondary stacks. The only lovely thing is clearing out Kairos in the south, the entire wasteland is red and replenishment takes forever. What a boring slog that part was. I don't know how Oxyotl keeps dying so early in campaign, I don't think I've ever seen him survive 30 turns.

After that I did a Settra campaign because it's been awhile. I was worried about Tomb Kings with their old growth problems but that's all fixed. Man they are in a great place right now, perfect balance and such a chill campaign where you can really feel the momentum building up. It was a very breezy campaign and a ton of fun, you really get to use all of their units at various tiers now instead of fielding chaff for 75 turns. I had a ton of fun with the chariots this time too. I got the pyramid crisis which felt appropriate and wow that was a real challenge.

I'm thinking of giving Ku'gath a shot, never played him before. I'm worried I spoiled myself by doing Festus first.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Any tips for an Ogre campaign? I know that camps are where you get your real units, that I should keep one at my main recruitment hub, and to aggressively put them down in places where I will conquer/farm as I expand and to tear them down once I've taken their host provinces. I think I should be keeping some of them in key chokepoints, was it?

Keep one near your main province to use as a recruitment hub and use the rest as forward bases to reduce upkeep and for economy if you've safely cleared a front.

Are you doing Greasus in IE? Get rid of Ghorst ASAP. Ku'Gath is not a big deal but if you let Ghorst start rolling he will come up north and start creating issues. Sometimes you get lucky and he fights with Ku'Gath instead but most of the time I find he goes up north. He usually gets a NAP with Zhao Ming but if he doesn't then he might go that way instead which makes your life easier. Definitely do not get a NAP with Ghorst by the way, you will piss off almost every other faction and get unnecessary wardecs later on. You might have to deal with Grimgor and other threats so you really don't want your southern front being eaten by VC. After that you can deal with Ku'Gath to end the annoying plagues and reassess. Sometimes you might already be in a hellwar with Grimgor, he's all over the place with where he expands to.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 2, 2022

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Alctel posted:

Franz is a pretty hard start now, I think gelt is easier if you want to get eased into empire a lil more forgivingly

Yeah I agree. Franz has to frantically defend 3-4 fronts whereas Gelt has a very easy start with a minor to dispatch and a great choke point fort. With Gelt you just take out the ork minor then head over immediately to get the Vampire Counts before they snowball, sometimes waiting to tech up a bit first for more mortars. After that you typically deal with Drycha and just chill out for the rest of the campaign doing whatever you want. I usually wait to confederate Franz and the others until they have abused the AIs growth/resource cheats for awhile. The most annoying part of the campaign is dealing with Festus due to his plagues, the AI factions can't seem to deal with him so he usually survives unfortunately.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wood Elves are really micro intensive and have a bizarre roster so definitely not for newcomers.

Lizardmen are a solid newcomer army, good mixture of quality infantry, great lords, some skirmishers and lots of SEMs. Their infantry can carry you all the way to the end game with red line buffs and support them effectively.

Tyrion is probably the best army for new players in general. I made an absolute mess out of my first campaign with him and still ended up doing fine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Started an Imrik campaign and while he's a beast, the stretch of land you have to defend is bonkers. You need the blue line for Imrik to do a second stack which needs to be defensive and you are constantly traversing huge distances to close the gap on races that have access to the underway stance. I killed Tretch and now I'm fighting with Queek who decided to ignore everyone else and come for me. On top of that I have Grim'gor pushing down constantly from the north and Ghorst is nearly done with his hellwar on the east and will probably be coming this way soon. It's not hard to win battles because the high elves are so good but it's the 20 turns of movement/defense that is grinding me down. It would be a bit more fun if there wasn't so much anti player bias, Grim'gor has three other large opponents he's at war with and he ignores all of that to beeline some Tier 2 settlement constantly. Queek is also at war with like 5 other factions but just wants my lovely little badlands settlement. I don't mind a challenge but this is just tedious.

Meanwhile at the donut, I killed Noctilus and N'Kari with garrisons + half stack while Tyrion and the rest are just sort of milling around.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I dislike the XP change and it exposes some embarrassing unit pathing issues when you watch cavalry run circles around a single entity and fail to do anything to it for two minutes. I don't want to methodically chase everything down and it punishes factions with slower speeds like Nurgle and the Dwarves.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Farecoal posted:

jfc how bad was it in 2 if ranged units are this good now

You could melt multiple armies with AP ranged in checkerboard formation. You probably still can but I haven't tried lately. The AI will actually push up and flank effectively with proper counters now too. In TWW2 they would just throw themselves at the first Lord or SEM you stuck in front of the line. Now they will march in formation, drop flying and summons on weak back line units and so on more consistently. They're better about focusing down high values targets too.

The AI is still terrible compared to most players but it's by design and more fun this way.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man Ku'Gath is really an annoying campaign with a weird starting position. I've done three back to back campaigns with him, just trying to see how things change and it's basically the same nonsense every time. You can barely get out of your starting area before you're met with a lot of bad climate. As an aside, I hate the climate mechanic in general and wish they would get rid of it, you end up with annoying situations like Tzeentch in the south and it takes you 100 turns to kill them due to replenishment nonsense. Anyways, everyone hates Ku'Gath and wardecs as soon as they see you and Ghorst takes like 20 turns to put down while Ogres constantly take your settlements due to lovely garrisons. Nurgle is such a weird faction, I'm fine with the unique recruitment method but the health reduction and costs seem punitive. Their economy really sucks until you start spreading plagues with the +500 favor bit and their growth mechanics are weird. It just feels like it takes way too long to get things going.

Festus is such a better start, Ku'Gath is like 50 turns of misery with a single stack. Someone suggested going south to get the elves and I gave that a shot but Ghorst will takeover your home province in your absence so that's a no-go. If anyone is struggling with Ghorst by the way, he is slow as hell and is usually way behind his army. Just focus him down with your rot flies, Ku'Gath and an exalted hero or whatever. He goes down really fast and its pretty imperative he doesn't make it to your front line. Murder him and bum rush his goofy forest before he respawns with 3 stacks of raised dead.

I hope they revisit a few more of the starting positions like Ku'Gath and make some tweaks.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

the loving worst loving thing about fighting loving ikit loving claw is that not only is he loving tough as loving hell his loving doomwheel means that his loving movement patterns are loving completely loving irregular SO ALL YOUR ARCHERS MISS HALF THEIR SHOTS HE'S TOUGH ENOUGH AS IT IS DON'T MAKE IT ANY HARDER

Spirit leech and some archer spam, he goes down fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't remember who gave me this advice but as Kislev in IE you really don't want to over-expand or build up minors. You want to build up and defend Kislev itself for awhile. If you take some minors that's fine but don't build them up at all or defend them much. Let the AI take them, build them up then sack/re-take them. You cannot lose Kislev itself unless you play very recklessly or just suck at battles. If you're Katarin, I usually go southeast and kill Azhag or at least cripple him pretty badly and leave a minor stack to defend the garrison. First 20 turns are pretty tight. If you start as Boris, just give up the wastelands and move back to Kislev itself. I never played the other dude so I have no idea what his deal is.