Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Hmm do you get the Orgres pre order if you buy a steam cdkey from one of the legit sega approved places?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Winklebottom posted:

also he looks like this

MYAH

yeah yeah he got an updated model but this one is better

close to perfection:

+ hat made of tiny skulls
+ staff made of tiny skulls
+ clothes include tiny skulls on chains
+ own head is a skull

- missed opportunity for the sword to be made of tiny skulls/bones

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 14, 2022

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
In tabletop what makes a legendary caster powerful? They cast the same spells as a basic wizard right?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Water is usually a big one. I don't know if they still do it, but most TW games have a constantly rendered layer of water beneath the ground layer, even on a 100% land map. If you can take the minor visual hit, turning Anisotropic from 16x to 8x can make a big performance difference.

Water isn’t a setting anymore ;(

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Vagabong posted:

All the campaign story stuff is really well put together, which makes it even more confusing that CA decided to have it be a prequel to the much more narratively weaker first game.

They are probably going to do different start dates, probably bundled with DLC (like 3k did). It’s a great idea because it can move factions and characters around to keep things fresh.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Muscle Tracer posted:

What the gently caress is it about the campaign map that uses up so much GPU? Every 'end turn' sends my graphics card wheezing and groaning, yet the actual battles seem to run with like half as much GPU. Is this just insanely poor optimizaiton? What the gently caress?

daemon bitcoin mining

I get ~60 FPS on Ultra Unit Sizes with mostly high settings on a 1080 TI in battles at 1440p which is frankly the best performance in battle I've never seen in total war game (better than 3k even which ran about the same FPS for me but at 1080p). So the battles I'm pretty happy with. I did have to knock down the textures from ultra to high to get over the 50 -> 60 FPS hump, it wanted to default textures to Ultra for my 1080ti.

Anti-Hero posted:

I’ve never played a Total War game. The last “modern” RTS games I played were XCOM 1 & 2 and…uh….Company of Heroes 1. I like the aesthetic of Warhammer, is diving into the 3rd one viable or would I need to consider playing the first two titles?

3 has the most well put together total war tutorial which is cool. There isn't really any narrative you miss out by jumping straight to 3. The best recommending new player Total War games are Shogun2, Three Kingdoms and now Warhammer 3. If you like the Warhammer theme the best of those 3, then give Warhammer 3 a try on steam. Just make sure you check how it preforms on your PC during your 2 hour steam refund window.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 17, 2022

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Turn Fog to low 10000x to improve your campaign map meltdowns. It gave me like 15fps

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Other than the tutorial, are there any good total war guides I can watch online? Either for Warhammer or Three Kingdoms.

For Three Kingdoms - user Serious Trivia is your holy grail. From general guides, period lore, battles mechanics, to literal step by step early game openers, ect.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV2U5Ov1FXfALwZ5-EcVN5usNl-VX4yQy
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV2U5Ov1FXfD7b6DVMxxe49UAh2gSqkfA
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV2U5Ov1FXfBg_xaB9kqGDggvELoK15wn

For Warhammer - user Party Elite has a great series covering the game mechanics from A to Z
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwVftHdWAdHNOJ-PMquSZMVVAGWIq2TVQ

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Omnicarus posted:

No performance problems on my 1080ti but for some reason the UI is more fuzzy at 1440p than it is in WH2

At 1440p it defaults the UI scaling to 200%, try turning it down to about 160%

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Frog Act posted:

How can I actually tell whether my yin and yang are balanced? I don’t see an obvious UI element anywhere, is it just a matter of manually counting ranged / melee units and trying to keep them roughly equal?

I think it’s one of the hold spacebar options - you can also toggle it to be visible all the time

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Griz posted:

that's 100% fixable by setting it to windowed

If you set it to windowed for 1440p all the loving buttons are missalinged, like I have to click like 1/4 of an inch off the actual button wtf

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Reik posted:

Do you have multiple monitors? I think it's related to DPI or display size settings.

Apparently if you just set to windowed mode, it gives you that crazy missalinged buttons, close game, restart, now its fixed. ok then

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
its a shame that outposts don't give you access to other faction's heroes. i want a patriarch of kesliv in every army, their is one variant of their voice acting that is absolutely incredible and makes me laugh out loud every time

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Koramei posted:

Is there a way to unlock the camera lock during battles? I turn it off in every total war game but can't seem to find the option in this one.

Google for debug camera for war3 and see if that is what you want

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

By the way everyone is having multi-minute load times between each battle even installed on a SSD right? not just me?

No, something must be up on your end. You might want to try out userbenchmark.com to see how your components are running, it can give you good insight.

I load into battles in like 15 seconds with a many many year old SSD. And when we play 3 player campaigns we have one guy with a 5+ year old SSD and we still load into battles in like 30 seconds.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has anyone gotten into multiplayer campaigns yet? how do they run?

I'm pretty far into the special coop 3 player Kislev one, it runs fine. It seems hard as poo poo though wow, we were down to 1 turn for the initial 15 turn limit mission and almost lost.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 22, 2022

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Whats the deal with the god specific demon units that have special names? Like I just fought a nurgle army with a plagberear unit named Qxcfascac Lord of Vomit. It wasn't a lord or anything, but a regular unit.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is there a Warhammer 2 mod that expands the pools of names for Lords and Heroes?

In Warhammer 3 the amount of repetition of character names is crazy. I want to expand it and I figured I'd get a head-start by looking at an old Warhammer 2 mod that does the same thing. Only problem is I can't find a Warhammer 2 mod that does this, which surprises me. Anyone know of an existing mod that expands the name pool? Or knows what tables control the names?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Honestly I think things like roads and growth and walls should be removed and never return. They are all so beneficial that they are basically required, so you actually remove meaningful choices by having them.

3k limiting growth by having big buildings take large # of turns was the right way to go. Growth exists to make tiering up cities for high level troops and buildings take time, but you can do the same thing with just turns required to build. Then you cut out all the priddly crap like +10 growth buildings or upgrades which are not exciting.

It’s the same concept with character ranks. 30 levels of minuscule +4% stats doesn’t feel important. 3ks system of 10 levels where every level mattered was a big improvement. Then you don’t need to build a huge skill tree padded with rinky dink upgrades, but a lower number of more important ones.

I don’t expect any of this to actually change in Warhammer, but man, there were so many great design decisions in 3k it really makes going back to Warhammer tough. If only they could port the expanded multiplayer campaign features to 3k.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
hmm anyone got suggestions for effective unit choices when fighting ogre vs ogre? i seem to take the most casualties when fighting other ogre factions. obviously this is because ogres are da best but i'm hoping to make only MY ogres da best.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I wouldn't mind the AI being suicidal as long as it has a full stack. I've got vague memories from Rome 1 where the AI would attack with a couple of peasant units and that sucks, but as long as there's a full army then they should just go for it no matter the odds.

We play these games to have battles not to pass turns waiting for the AI to build siege equipment or to chase them around the map.

I'd like for siege maps and settlement battles to go. It's been, what, 12 years now? They can't get the AI to work and they're never ever going to. They're fine for multiplayer but they don't and have never worked in campaign. Scrap 'em. Make some defensive terrain battles where the defender starts out with a good position near a choke point or something.

I know it'll never happen from CA's side but maybe someone can mod them out.

Did you play 3k? siege battles worked pretty well in that game, the AI was fun to play against. I’m never going to say the AI was “good” because it doesn’t need to be good, just fun to play against.

Edit: they could solve two problems at once by making the AI defense towers pre built in different variations. That way you could have the same map, but with a different experience depending on how that variant has its towers laid out. Let the AI build barricades mid match thats fine.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 16, 2022

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Muscle Tracer posted:

They don't, and it is. I've always felt that the key to balancing both was to adjust the cost of things in MP, so if something is "too good" you just make it cost more. But, well, that would be easy and make sense!

They do split the balancing, there are MP specific gold cost and unit limits.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Foul Fowl posted:

the 3d map is cool but the amount of jank and fiddly clicking and percentages of movement and amount of actors on the map is, to me, not enjoyable. i'd happily take an abstracted approach to terrain to get rid of all that stuff but that is never going to happen in ten million years.

I could see them experimenting with the risk style map again. Possibly in a Saga game with a narrower scope. Or in 3k2

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

A shame, almost, that you cannot peasant railgun your way to moving an army halfway across the continent by swapping the units between a daisy chain of lords.

you could indeed do something very much like that in three kingdoms, provided you had a huge number of deployable armies in that turn

Panfilo posted:

I'm fine with the way army movement works. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater by dumbing the the whole thing down. There's better ways of addressing things like whack a mole: passive movement buffs in friendly territory, support buildings that buff local movement, AI behavior that has a % chance to make suboptimal decisions or has their vision adjusted, etc.

I'd like to see more granular difficulty settings too. So you can different iterations of aggression, numbers, and strength.

Regarding AI focus on the player there just needs to be a trait that has the AI biased towards the player, other minor factions or other major factions.

There is going to be a LOT of mod flexibility on AI difficulty in the campaign, CA really improved the framework of how factions work on the campaign map. 3k introduced the concept of 'potential' for factions, which gave faction specific bonuses specific to both difficulty level AND the faction within x and y 'potential' score. These could be adjusted at the start of a game depending on the player faction (so you could have specific rivalries).

In WH3 CA has added a bunch of new tables that monitor all sorts of variables like player has x settlements, player has x allies, turns elapsed, undiscovered factions, ect. (tons more) that allows the scaling of 'potential' beyond just the start of game, it can now adjust itself mid campaign.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 27, 2022

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Collapsing Farts posted:

i cant play dinosaurs or rats yet so it cant possibly be good

If 1.1 includes Steam Workshop I'm sure a faction unlocker will be one of the first things on there. Plenty of rat factions and at least one lizardman faction on the current map!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Collapsing Farts posted:

I'd like some sort of nude mod, which made all the units fully nude, with no clothes

Three kingdoms is the game for you then. I’d say 50% of the workshop mods are titty mods

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Chucat posted:

The funniest change I didn't see documented was that they changed the recommended first campaign from Kislev/Daemon Prince to Cathay.

wow, good for them on actually changing that. They should keep that up for all future patches/dlc.

In Three Kingdoms for example some of the "Recommended" first time campaigns eventually became hard as balls after patches and dlc, but the Recommended tag remained the same

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If anyone else is sick of seeing the same drat names duplicated for Lords and Heroes in Warhammer3, I made a mod that adds like 3,500+ lore appropriate names.

It was pretty funny to see a machine learning algorithm learn how to make Ogre names, but I reviewed all of them to make sure nothing too crazy went in. I really like the Nurgle names the most I think. Some factions have double or triple the amount of names from the vanilla game. This is just for first names for now, eventually I want to expand to last names/family names as well.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2789887182

Some samples:
names_ksl_kislev Andrada
names_ksl_kislev Olga
names_ksl_kislev Nikodem
names_ksl_kislev Nikifor
names_ksl_kislev Natalia

names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Shumdy
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Morglum
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Largug
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Kruga
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Gouger
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Gogrutt
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Bladubb

names_kho_khorne Khar'asmoday'ulak
names_kho_khorne Khorg'asmdeus'remakht
names_kho_khorne G'astaroth'ihlulan

names_tze_tzeentch Zaz'hystaspes
names_tze_tzeentch Polyperchon'phaos
names_tze_tzeentch Sparatocos'eel

names_sla_slaanesh Lolillian'li
names_sla_slaanesh Fel'eva
names_sla_slaanesh Vi'trillian

names_nur_nurgle Garrottllious
names_nur_nurgle Morphificpuss
names_nur_nurgle Bilefitchglut

names_nor_norsca Baldomar
names_nor_norsca Baldovin
names_nor_norsca Basina
names_nor_norsca Helewidis
names_nor_norsca Helmfrid
names_nor_norsca Helmo

names_cth_cathay Jia Li
names_cth_cathay Jiao
names_cth_cathay Liling
names_cth_cathay Liu

names_skv_skaven Krricht
names_skv_skaven Rasknitt
names_skv_skaven Feskit
names_skv_skaven Skabbicus

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 5, 2022

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone know if they fixed monogod chaos lords not being able to ascend (at rank 20 or whatever) in multiplayer campaigns?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If anyone is starting a new multiplayer campaign and they will be new to a faction you might want to try out my mod here. This adds the early game events back into multiplayer. In multiplayer you miss out on the first 10 turns of events that give you a little bit of lore and guidance on how factions play (you don't even get the HOW THEY PLAY event wtf). This mod restores those as events. It also fixes a multiplayer bug where chaos heralds can't become exalted at level 15.

I really missed those little curated intro events, especially when you don't get the little flyover introduction in multiplayer either.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2790877630

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Insurrectionist posted:

'Close victory' lmao

What difficulty you on?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Warhammer creating a multi game series that feeds content into one game after the other kind of broke expectations for Three Kingdoms. It was never going to FEEL like it got the same support because Warhammer got DLC for two games but everyones brain turned that into a single game. That plus the overall game industry trend to push GAMES AS A SERVICE THAT LIVE FOREVERRRR has slowly infiltrated everyone's expectations.

Plus the 3k DLC was truly bizarre. The first DLC was for a period of time hundreds of years in the future where all the main characters from the game are dead. No one wanted it, and it set a bad tone right off the bat.Then all the future DLC began straining the limits of the engine in all sorts of ways as they attempted to go very story heavy with tons of scripting, which has never worked very well in TW games. And all the DLC's best features were included in free patches, so you didn't even need to buy the DLC. It was seriously like opposite day every time CA made a decision for 3k DLC. They clearly put tons of effort into the DLCs but it didn't show (aka work right) and I'm sure the DLC sales were very poor and that's why they pulled the plug.

Ironically they could have put out an infinite number of low effort art only DLCs that just added more unique characters and they could have sold that poo poo for 10 years.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 22, 2022

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
There are problems with the synchronized kill/attack moves in vanilla, and the blood DLC impacts those. I'm sure that's why the blood dlc isn't out yet.

Those times where your lord vs an enemy lord just fart around and turn 90 degrees or whatever are happening because its trying to fire off matched animations and it isn't working right.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The bugs and stuff suck but I’ll deal with it provided the multiplayer campaign improvements stick for all future titles.

poo poo I’d pay 60bux for a re-release of 3k with all dlc if it had the 8 player multiplayer and simultaneous turns

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Third World Reagan posted:

While we are at it make max army size 15 units or less.

you can make that change yourself right now, all TW games in fact. the AI and player are both effected. You just need to start a game, save it on turn 0. Then use the extremely old but somehow still functional ESF editor to edit your save. It's worked since Napoleon with some tweaks. I think these 5 year old reddit instructions should still work for WH3:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/72vqx6/anyone_know_if_editsf_will_work_with_warhammer_2/

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 1, 2022

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dude, nice. Thanks for the heads up, Orkkin is good stuff

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tirranek posted:

It would be dumb but very on theme to have Bretonnian cavalry get antsy and suffer "Primal Instincts" "Honor Demands It!" if they're left alone too long.

I wonder if some of the overhaul mods back in 2 have done this already. It could easily be built using the current system of status effects and triggers/disable flags. I never got into SFO 2 so I'm not sure

You can give units an attribute that would make them rampage if they have not charged in X many seconds, or rampage and auto attack if they are within x many feet of an enemy and not charging for too long. Then turn off once they engage in melee

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
they won't care if trash people buy it, only that it sells. Medieval 3 will 100% be future title in the series.

There simply isn't another historical time period that compares in popularity.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Silly to try and make giants more attractive by giving them missile resistance. I mean that helps but still why pick a giant over any other large monster (ogres or other factions)? They should give giants something else that makes them special like increased splash attack or something

The change for non lord greater deamons spells is great

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd be totally cool with every ogre RoR just being maneaters following a different race fighting style.

Agreed, I need to see ogres with tomb king style headdresses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Reik posted:

Can you boot up a co-op multiplayer campaign with one of the players missing? If so, does AI take over the second faction you're in a forced military alliance with?

Start from scratch no, I don't think so.

But you can continue a multiplayer game with less than the # of starting humans I believe and the AI does take over. So if you started with 3 it will let you launch a rehost with 2. But I'm not sure it will let you start an originally 2 player one with just a solo person.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 21, 2022