Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Legend's main grief with WH3 was the realm of chaos and the portal mechanics being an incredibly boring slog, and in that respect he's completely right- considering player retention post release, I don't think this is an especially Hot Take either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
The minor settlement changes in WH3 also means that the vast majority of your encounters are likely to be a siege battle of some variety, and while some of the minor settlements are pretty fun, I don't know if making already rare field battles even rarer was worth the addition.

The game does appear to be getting better though, and I truly hope that IE gets a long and healthy life and that the botched release didn't kill its long term potential

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
village of the tiger men sounds like something made up by a map maker very far from the place in question, like the equivalent of an ocean map's Here There Be Dragons

I bet if you go there and actually talk to the locals they'll be real confused and tell you their town is called Shropshire or something

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Eastbound Spider posted:

Do we know how big the file size of the immoral empires update will be?

No, but I promise you'll be downloading, unpacking and installing the entire thing every time they change even a line of code

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
tbh a malagor doomstack can basically be him alone with a single unit that's good at hiding. After the beastmen update i did a campaign that was pretty much just malagor flying above everyone, soloing armies with near infinite flocks of doom

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Oh no, IE release date is getting dangerously close and I have no idea what faction I want to start with D:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Summon the Elector Counts.

I couldn't have said it better myself

Considering taking a vacation day on wed just to play this dumb game for a workday++

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4kADTggu2c

So apparently there's a neat lil bug where you can copy your LL's to get multiple clones of unique, stat-wide boosting lords or I guess bring LL's into other factions from turn 1

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Eltharion's greatest challenge yet, A-posing Kostaltyn on a manticore.

hey, it's still wysiwyg so i'll allow it

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Picked up my L/VH ghorst campaign again and obviously kept doing well since he's a beast, expanding all the way to the tomb kings eastern border and up towards the northern chaos wastes, chewing right throught the orks, ogres and kugath with no real opposition to speak of

Decided to branch off and go east with a couple of armies. My zombie horde struggled a bit with a bog standard cathay stack of jade warriors and crossbowmen and some artillery pieces, but going up basically the same army led by Zhao Ming was like running into a brick wall. The jade warriors are almost as tanky as my zombies, which isn't really an issue as I'll win that war of attrition with regen and magic--- except the crossbowmen mega prioritize my lords and let me tell you, a corpse cart lasts MAYBE three volleys against 7 units of crossbowmen

I guess it's time to at minimum double up on stacks if I want to get through without becoming even deader. This is the first time I play against a teched and leveled up Cathay- I blew through them so quickly as Sniktch that they never really got any good stacks up and running, so I had no idea how tanky a faction they really are, they just never break

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 4, 2022

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Haha, finally get the AI to attack me in a siege defense that'd be real fun to play, and the game crashes every single time at the exact same point, around 2 minutes in- though I can't seem to see what specific action done by me or the AI causes it. Oh well, a shame, at least I can auto resolve it and still win. No mods, no steam files needing verification. I guess it's just ~IE beta~

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Private Speech posted:

Maybe it's a driver, lack of ram/vram or overheating issue? I didn't have a single in-battle crash yet myself. What is your system like?

If you're willing to upload the save I'd be happy to try if it happens to me too.

Sure! I actually made a save file so I could check it out further at a later point. I think this is the first time I've actually experienced a crash since about wh3 release, so I assume it should be pretty consistently reproducible

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12m01U3714ZFisKazd32JI6A24cBJnPog/view?usp=sharing

If anyone wants a golden order campaign that's going fairly swimmingly, be my guest :v:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
The AI definitely does cheat, mostly in ways to make it interesting to play against, but the empire also has unique vassalization mechanics that doesn't take into consideration relative strength between its factions.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Woah, so Josh Brolin is based on the foot squire unit card?!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I only have the sisters of twilight DLC for wood elves, but Drycha is always such an immense pain to fight in the early game as any of the neighboring factions that I'm tempted to buy the old WE DLC just to inflict some of that pain back on the AI

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Lawdog69 posted:

Are empire confederation mechanics broken? In my Gelt game I am at 10 loyalty with several factions but I’m not getting the confederation dilemma. In fact I’m not getting any way to spend my prestige, I have 23,000 prestige now lol.

Feels bad I guess I have to conquer the empire the old fashioned way.

I managed to get one of my electors to give up a minor city with obscene amounts of gold, and that somehow seemed to make it all come unstuck and electoral events started happening again. ymmv

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Bretonnia is fun for a bit but they're so micro intensive that I always retire their campaigns way earlier than I do other factions

Repanse has a fun campaign in tw2, but i imagine she gets stomped in the new IE hellpit, though I could be wrong

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

thats fukken badass

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
gonna be chorfed out of my mind imo

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

I'm not sure what mechanics they're going to give chorfs to make them fun. All their poo poo is basically the same as a dwarf but looks evil. Hopefully CA are going wild on making up new units.

I suspect it'll be like dwarfs but more monstrous units in the roster, a unique lore of magic and a smattering of orc and goblin auxillaries for some non-dwarfy flavour. maybe toss in a hobgoblin or something, maybe do some variety of DE slavery mechanics

Ravenfood posted:

At 1:05 on the trailer, there is an elf on the left with some elaborate red armor and helmet. Who is that?

it's a dragon prince cav model

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 16, 2023

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
When you use one of those mods that change spawn location, what happens to your original spawn? Does it turn into a ruined settlement or does some new faction get it?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Dandywalken posted:

Army soloers are cringe imo

Cringe Lords

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If Khorne cares not where the blood flows from, but only that it does, shouldn't the Greenskins be some of his biggest proponents?

Maybe to an extent, but I suspect that the blood which flows in an active act of worship to khorne, gives the blood god a whole lot more juice than a random act of violence or workplace accident. For an ork, krumpin is just their nine to five, and they love their job

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I was blessed with the perfect map while fighting dwarfs around the northern world's edge mountains

None of those silly terrain features that just get in the way of a good, honest battle

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
According to legend of total war (grain of salt, obviously), they still have half a dozen DLCs planned, and Sega is supposedly breathing down their neck to focus exclusively on total war after the Hyenas debacle

If CA survives long enough, all hopes are probably pinned on Total War: 40k doing well

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
On the flip side, age of sigmar has zero cultural penetration and they'd have to work a lot harder to get people through the door, even if the game would probably be easier to make

I don't know if CA is actually up to the task of making a good 40k: total war, but enough people would probably still pick it up on brand recognition alone

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
If they actually wanted people to buy a historical title, they should have just made another medieval game :colbert:

But in seriousness, I don't think Troy, Brittania and Pharaoh sold poorly because they were historically themed, but because they were half-baked budget entries. Pharaoh especially is weird; a full priced game no-one asked for, set in an impressively niche setting, poorly made. How did they expect to make money on this thing?

I would just love to read a post mortem on it. If they wrote one themselves and put it out for sale, it'd probably outsell the game

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Thanqol posted:

They gave Troy away *for free* on the Epic store at launch, which indicated a catastrophic lack of faith in the project.

Very possibly, but I also imagine epic paid them a handsome sum for it, so I would imagine troy actually earned them more than it would have otherwise

I suspect epic ended up being the losing party to that particular deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

I watched an LP of it by one of the Total Warhammer streamers I love, and the whole game very much feels like it's made for existing fans of AoS. Every unit is constantly referred to in their full name as Stormcast Adjudicator Hunters with Fuckyourmom Bows or whatever the hell, no one ever tells you what anything even *is* in terms that someone unfamiliar with AoS would understand, and the story drops you straight into the middle of anything without telling you what anything is, where they are, what they're fighting for, or who they're fighting against.

The gameplay seems... fine. It's functional for what it does. It's nothing special compared to other games of its ilk (and it very much wants to be in the Dawn of War 2 vein).

A complaint I saw a lot is just people getting horrendously confused by units and abilities when trying to decide in the heat of the moment what unit they need right now and what they can do, and everything has those dumb trademark-proof GW names. If you just want Dude With Crossbow, good luck figuring that out!

All I wanted from Frontier was the ability to walk around in my little spaceship and instead they made that turd