Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I found a luxury RV in almost pristine shape while scavenging at a campground last week. I'm legitimately unsure of how the person actually got it where it was parked, because there was no way to get it out from between all those trees. Eventually it was torn up enough, just trying to make a wide turn, that it stopped running altogether. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Well, if you needed a personal reason to vendetta the hell's raiders, there you go. The feds were just slow to react to these fallout esque yee-haws. In typical fashion.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I was under the impression Gray burnt his body honestly.

That's our demonstration of how dangerous bleeding is, it seems. Tad had the same problem as Gray way back when, but he didn't have a healthy person to feed him water and bandage him and such. RIP.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Donkringel posted:

I think WG needs to pulp Tad, right? Or else he will reanimate? Or is that only Ferals?

Gray pulped Tad and then burned the body. The Refugee Center's forst quest taught us that it's Walking Dead rules - all people and large animals come back as zombies when they die, even if they weren't feral.

Insects and small animals seem to be exempt, as do small parts of humans, like severed hands or heads. It seems there are limits to zombification.

You can properly bury people, but you need a coffin, you can't just dump a corpse in the ground.

HeyItsKasey posted:

Genesis 3:1
Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, “uwu’”

I've added this to the OP with a link to your post, please let me know if you'd rather I didn't.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 15, 2022

HeyItsKasey
Aug 24, 2020

You ever want to just be a sea slug?
I'm honored that you like my goofy satan drawing enough to showcase it in the op!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

RIP Tad, he didn't stand a chance.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The generation for stats and skills of random NPCs is rather wild (as we've seen by now) but dang Tad was one of the lucky finds imo. Dude's with his mom now :smith:

Also this reminds me of a newspaper article I found. Not sure if we have actually taken a look at such in-game lore items so I'd rather ask you, worm girl, if it's okay to link the image itt

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly I think that's fine, people are going to be variably good at the apocalypse or not.

Still, RIP. One bad mistake and he's just gone.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

So did the ambush pull you out of the area map and into this cell with the tree on the road with no warning? Or was it an encounter that you found and played out for narrative? I am just really curious. That could have been a really scary ambush if there was more than one bandit involved and there was no way to see it coming.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
there is no such thing as being on the area map, all travel is done locally. It's why vehicles are so useful.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

StillFullyTerrible posted:

there is no such thing as being on the area map, all travel is done locally. It's why vehicles are so useful.

Oh I saw a zoomed out view in some posts and assumed it was a world map ala Qud.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Traveling via roads can be really fast, but it can also be so friggin' annoying. If there's a hostile enemy just inside the treeline at the edge of the road, but far enough away that it won't aggro onto you, the auto travel system will stop you every time it disappears and reappears from behind the trees again. So a single zombie dog hanging out on a fallen log can stop you upwards of 10 times if you hit the vision past the trees just right.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
You can see these types of encounters coming if you are checking your big area map frequently (npcs within so many grids of you show up on the map, bandits are bright red and if you play with auto map notes on there will be a big "ROADBLOCK" note), but if your just going down a long straightaway your probably not checking and the first hint of it will be the trees over the road. And if your going fast as gently caress, it takes time to slow down and stop, so you may have to choose between slamming into it or having to swerve off the road into the bush to avoid it by the time you notice.

It's a nasty encounter if your caught off-guard, but can usually be easily avoided.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Tin Tim posted:

Also this reminds me of a newspaper article I found. Not sure if we have actually taken a look at such in-game lore items so I'd rather ask you, worm girl, if it's okay to link the image itt

We have peeked at a few. I don't mind as long as it's not revealing the endgame progression stuff we haven't looked at. TY for asking!

Phrosphor posted:

So did the ambush pull you out of the area map and into this cell with the tree on the road with no warning? Or was it an encounter that you found and played out for narrative? I am just really curious. That could have been a really scary ambush if there was more than one bandit involved and there was no way to see it coming.

I saw the ambush coming as easily as the other posters said, but I wanted to fall into it anyway just to see how it shook out.

The big zoomed out map screen is more like your map screen in most games where you can check it and look around on it, but you can't move or do anything there, mostly. There is an autotravel system (not fast travel) but I usually don't use it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

This newspaper article reminded me of Tad and his story :smith:

I think it's a pretty solid piece of in-game writing in regards to being realistic and triggering an emotional response from the player. Like I don't want to oversell it but little pieces like this remind you that all the scary zombs you've been killing used to be people and makes you think a bit about the events going on in the game

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 17, 2022

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

We come to, covered in blood and muscles aching from exertion. This happens sometimes.

I just wanted to show this area off because it is the PERFECT place to use a spear. You can (e)xamine the fence to climb over it, and zombies can't. They're stuck trying to bash it down. The spear goes through the slats so we can stab them from the other side, we can funnel them through the broken down part at the top left, and if things get bad (IE we get to half stamina and there are more than a couple left), we have two avenues of escape that won't eat our stamina: The broken window on the right, and the ladder on the left.

I'll try to show this kind of juking a bit better when the opportunity presents itself. It's an awesome way to win fights that you couldn't win with a regular weapon, and many of the techniques are still applicable even if you don't have reach.

There is something evil in the dumpster. What was it...?

Ah yes.

Enemies can hide in dumpsters and boxes too. They mostly don't do it on purpose, but sometimes you can be caught by surprise.

Father Kelly waves us over. He's saying something, but we have our earplugs in. It's a good idea, though. We can climb the fence and fight the damned from the safe side.

marloss zealot posted:

His eyes lie vacant and spittle foams in his mouth, as he recites from the hymns in rapturous ecstasy.

We defeat our opponent and turn around to speak with the Father.

There was never anyone back here but us.

We find what we must have been looking for. It's a craft shop. They sold handmade glassware in the front, and back here they had their home and workshop.

Unfortunately there's little of use here. We're after tools to get a vehicle up and running. Still, it's nice to know what the Lord has laid out for us, should we need it.

Moving north through the town, we shove an armchair into a doorway and brace ourselves for another wave.

Moving onto or off of furniture or other obstacles takes a lot of time, so putting furniture between us and them gives us more opportunities to poke at them before they get here. Don't work hard, work smart!

It works, but the pain is blinding. We'll have to go home and rest before continuing.

In a dream, the Lord tells us where to find what we need. In the morning, we set our feet on the path and lo, a humvee that actually works.

The humvee is a brick shithouse. It's built on heavy frames, which have 150 HP and provide 30 damage reduction to all parts mounted on the same tile. Additionally, it's mostly covered in military composite armor plating, which protects all parts on the tile from direct impacts and attacks in the same way player armor does - in this case it provides 60 protection from all sources and 105 protection from bullets.

There's no armor on the doors or windows, but they're reinforced. They won't hold up long against a hulk and they're usually the first thing to break if something goes wrong, but this thing is many times more secure than an ordinary car. Oh, and there's a machine gun mounted on the roof.

The M240 is a medium machine gun widely used by the United States and other NATO countries. It fires 7.62 NATO, which as we've discussed is a high-performance rifle round that's also used in single-fire guns by marksmen. These calibers are hard to remember, but if we're talking about the US Army's rifle rounds, you can usually remember that 5.56 is smaller, cheaper, and easier, and 7.62 is a bigger bullet that goes farther, hits harder, and costs more.

As a medium machine gun, the M240 is too big to really wander around with unless you want to act like Rambo and waste all your ammo like the guy in the video above. It needs a bipod or turret mount to be effective, however as you can see it is much more powerful than something like Gray's M16. The real problem is that if 7.62 was expensive before the Cataclysm, it's precious beyond measure now, and this thing will go through belts of it faster than you might believe.

We've seen some automated turret enemies, but this isn't one of those. The gun is on a turret mount which means we can fire it from the driver's seat, but it won't shoot stuff for us without direct input. They should probably change these so that you have to actually be manning the gun (and not driving) to do stuff like that, but for now we can just assume it's got some kind of dashboard control or something.

The vehicle's tank is leaking and will need to be replaced, but there is enough fuel at least in the short term.

Humvees have diesel engines, and this one's full of JP8. JP8 is kerosene-based fuel that stands in for both diesel and jet fuel, and also runs a bunch of heavy machinery. This is done mostly for logistics - it's a whole lot simpler if all your vehicles and aircraft need the same kind of gas.

Diesel is superior to gasoline if you're crafty, but inferior if you're just scavenging. Many gas stations don't have a diesel pump, or if they do there's only one and it's often broken or empty. There are fewer diesel vehicles around to siphon, so running out can be a big hassle. Diesel is also slightly louder.

On the other hand, gasoline offers worse fuel economy, and while you can cook up biodiesel if you have a ton of skill, the right books, and a really good chemistry setup, you'll only ever find gasoline.

There's a museum here, a testament to the accomplishments of this vulgar world. We spy a sword in one of the display cases.

A very big sword.

Let's GOOOOOOO

The weight of the blade is nothing to us.

We walk openly through the town, calling out to the damned.

Who can stand against the faithful? What shield can the sinful raise that will guard them from the wrath of heaven? What are they whose names are not written in the book of life but chaff to be beaten out of the world?

God sets a mighty stone in our path, and commands us, "Smash it."

"Thy will be done, Lord."

God's light reaches from one end of Thorndike to the other. It creeps under every stone and flies over every cloud. There is nowhere the damned may hide from it.

We walk barefoot on a sea of blood as wide as Galilee.

"Mother?"

No. Of course not.

The zweihander is incredible. This is probably going to be our main weapon for the rest of the run, it's that good. Most hits do over forty damage, with crits ranging as high as sixty, and that number will only shoot up as we build skill. I'm literally just pushing the shopping cart around town, holding tab, and watching everything get mulched.

Father Kelly is scarier in melee than Gray thanks to his boosted dexterity. Gray's better equipped and has higher skills, but their strength is equal and Gray is badly held back by his poor stat spread. Kelly is only wearing a leather touring suit here, which provides fairly minimal armor and doesn't protect his head at all. This dude is a beast.

The streets of Thorndike are quiet. A few lone damned still wander here and there, but for the most part, the town has been purged.

We find another military vehicle. This one is equipped with two smaller machine guns. In all, we've found four humvees and this armored car. Any one of these would make an excellent vehicle, but with some ingenuity we may be able to take parts from each.

The M249 is a light machine gun. This one fires 5.56, which is pretty plentiful if you look around. Light is a relative term here - it's quite a bit chonkier than Gray's M16, but being a machine gun, it takes ammo belts and can dump lead all day long.

It's perfectly feasable to carry these guns around and shoot things with them, though they perform worse than assault rifles unless you use a bipod. In CDDA, if a gun has a bipod (you can check by looking at its gun mods), you can use them next to a flat surface like a table or windowsill, or you can go prone with ("). Your character will automatically deploy the bipod and you'll get a massive reduction in recoil. Turret mounts negate all recoil, so that's even better.

We also discover a sniper rifle. We've never cared for guns, but this could come in handy.

The M110A1 is a sniper rifle chambered in 7.62 NATO. This one comes with an adjustable stock, a scope, and a suppressor, which is awesome. We've discussed 7.62 a few times before so I don't need to go over it again, suffice to say I am real happy to have this thing, especially for a road trip. It has a maximum range of 60 tiles, so if we see something we reeeeally don't want to fight, we can still take it out with relative ease, provided we can find ammo for it.

Our one remaining problem is that we do not have an arc welder to do the automotive work we need. We lack the skills to make one, and neither the scrap yard, nor the dump or electronics shop have any. The hardware stores are also lacking. We suppose there might be one in a garage or basement, but the search will be tedious.

This house is a mess!

Much better.

Thank God for sorting zones.

We know next to nothing about electronics, but we have a book that details plans for a makeshift arc welder. We spend a few hours on simple crafts - first we make antennae out of butter knives with our hacksaw, then we move on to more complex tasks.

After making what is essentially a few pairs of leads connected to bare wires, we feel confident we can build our own arc welder following the schematic.

This should probably be harder to do. The missing proficiencies will make it a bit of a pain to get done, but as long as we can scrounge up more materials than we need (some will be wasted whenever we fail our crafting roll), we can brute force it in short order.

These broken consoles can be taken apart for the necessary power converters.

The device is soon finished, but according to the schematic, it is useless without welding rods.

We can make use of the craft shop for this.

We ground fabrication to 3, applied science to 1, and electronics to 2 to get this far. If you can't get your hands on books, it's sometimes a good idea to just craft stuff with requirements equal to or higher than your skill level and see how far you can get by grinding. Many useful recipes are auto-learned, and it's satisfying seeing your crafting options open up as you go.

We take a walk in the woods, looking for clay.

Gray lives near a river so there's lots of clay, but we have to go roam around in the forest, and it's not a sure thing.

Eventually, we find what we seek.

"Come, my son, it is safe now."

Young Isaac balks at the stairs. Try as we might, we cannot get him to ascend. Perhaps for now Isaac's place is in the basement.

I'm not sure what's up here. I usually have no problem leading animals up and down stairs, and as far as I can tell these ones line up on the Z level. I can use debug to fix this, but I guess be careful where you stash your robot.

We load the kiln and prepare our workspace. We've made a crucible from the clay we collected, and tongs were simple to find, now we simply need something to serve as an anvil...

As always, the Lord provides.

You'll need a proper anvil to make complex items, but a boulder works well enough for our purposes. we (G)rab it and roll it inside.

Perfect.

We return to the museum while waiting for our charcoal to cook. There are displays of armor here, and while we are protected by our faith, it is true that God helps those who help themselves.

There are other weapons here, but none seem as sturdy as our own. Our sword is special, God must laid it there for us to use in our holy mission.

Always check your weapons! As Gray saw, most medieval weapons have two or three fake/shoddy variants.

There is quite the collection here.

Quite the collection indeed...

This helmet is quite a bit easier to wear.

Head encumbrance used to not do anything, but now it applies a pretty sharp penalty to your defenses. The kabuto reduces our dodge and block ability by 15%, the galea is low enough that it doesn't affect it at all, and the protection is comparable.

For now, we will wear the greco-roman armor. It reminds us of Cornelius, the centurion who was the first gentile to be brought to God. It was his bravery in hearing the voice of God, seeking out Peter, and embracing the unknown that brought the Christian faith to the entire world. He sets a good example.

The o-yoroi is better, strictly speaking, but it has 5% less coverage than the bell cuirass, which means we'd want to wear it over a gambeson or something, and it's going to get too hot for that pretty soon here. The problem with this setup is that the leather arm guards have fairly low coverage comparatively, but for now that shouldn't be a problem. We'll re-evaluate as we go.

We found these pants some time ago in a house, they'll protect our legs underneath our greaves.

We begin gathering parts for our vehicle. This APC is too damaged to drive, but it has several useful parts. Mounted on its exterior are small cameras which feed to a display in the operator's seat. When powered, anyone sitting there would have a 360 degree view of the APC, useful for a vehicle without windows. There's also some sort of grenade launcher on top.

The Mk 19 grenade launcher is basically what happens when someone asks, "What if a machine gun shot grenades?" The answer is absolute chaos. The 40x53mm grenades it fires are basically gigantic shotgun slugs, and most types explode on impact. They're not the biggest booms in town, but they're great for taking out vehicles and armored targets. In our case that really means robots and juggernauts. Ammo is scarce, but this thing was meant to be used sparingly anyway.

We also stop to chop up some of the damned we dispatched the other day. Their flesh is mostly worthless, but their bones can be made into glue, and we'll need a lot of it.

Bone glue is really easy to make and is used to repair vehicle parts that aren't made of metal, like the dashboard and tires.

Butchering humans is bad if you're not a psychopath or a cannibal (and we are both), but anyone can hack up zombies. Per the devs, they're too different from humans for it to trigger the same traumatic response, though it is gross.

Many of the cars in this town have solar panels. These will be essential, and we'll need extras as they're quite fragile.

We finish our welding rods, but there's still much to do. We first cut the door and part of the frame from one of the spare humvees - the frame beneath the driver's seat is nearly destroyed in the one we've selected, and we would rather not fall through the floorboards when it finally gives way.

This can happen, and yes you get run over by your own car if it's moving.

We'll need this workbench.

You can deconstruct these with the (*) menu, which turns them into a portable object.

And the kitchenette from this RV.

We conclude that we'll need more space than the humvee provides, and so we tear the rear boards off and begin welding on more frame pieces.

We need mechanics to 4 to install solar panels. We probably don't need to go all out with this humvee, but if we have to grind our skill anyway, we may as well do it up right.

We take a moment to sit with Isaac in the park.

He eventually wandered up the stairs on his own. It's weird because the dog and the cow will follow me just fine if I leash them.

Our heart nearly bursts with joy when he asks us for money. Thank you, Isaac, for giving us this chance to be charitable.

While taking a break from welding, we decide our old dress shoes are not suited to our new life as a traveling priest.

"HAAA hahaha!"

Heelies increase our walking speed by 16 and our running speed by 5 while we're on hard surfaces like pavement or wood, but will cause us to trip and fall and just have a generally bad time in melee. It takes 500 moves to pop the wheels in and out so they're not terribly useful mid-combat, but they're great for exploring and can allow you to casually walk away from enemies while shooting at them without getting tired.

There's a profession that starts with the skater trait, which allows you to skate faster and suffer fewer penalties in combat, but this will probably be moved to proficiencies before long. If you didn't start with the trait, there's currently no way to get it.

Eventually, we assemble something that will suit the Lord's purpose. It has plentiful room for cargo, a workbench, interior lighting, and a kitchen unit. The rear cab seals completely, meaning we will be hidden from the prying eyes of our enemies, but we can use the security cameras we've salvaged to ensure that none escape our own sight.

We intend to live here for some time, so the vehicle will need to provide for us. There is a faucet on the kitchen unit, we can hook a 60 gallon tank up to store clean water without wasting interior space, and the charging station under our seat can power any number of appliances. For now, we'll install an M249 light machine gun on the roof, which can be used to punish the wicked without getting out of our seat.

It isn't perfect, there are many things we need, but it will keep us safe on our journey.

This is what the community calls a deathmobile, and it's loving awesome. Cataclysm has a lot to recommend it, but I think the vehicle system is really something that no other game out there can really deliver on in the same way. The fact that we can use this to make a believable shopping cart, pirate ship, wheelbarrow, car, bike, motorcycle, scooter, or whatever else is really incredible. It feels like playing with legos once you get the hang of it, and the sky really is the limit now that helicopters are in.

A functional deathmobile is a must-have for a lot of playthroughs, though we've seen how Gray has done just fine without one. I usually start with a security van, which is one tile narrower than this, but humvees were what we had so humvees are what we're using. We've extended the rear of this thing one space back and added stow boards and a hatch to seal the back. This way, we can sleep in there and zombies won't see us and try to get in.

As beefy as this thing is, it's still pretty barebones as deathmobiles go. Some people put forges, freezers, science labs, and whatever else they can get in theirs. You can also stick rams, chainsaws, spikes, and all kinds of other things on. We'll build this one up as we go, but we are missing some key tools and I would prefer to move the story along for now.

The dev team recognizes that deathmobiles are tons of fun, but they do introduce a few problems. The meta in this game is usually to get a deathmobile off the ground and then leave your base behind pretty much forever. There are very few advantages to living in one place, and eventually you'll explore all the areas around your home and want to move anyway, so why not live on the go? To that end, they're looking into ways to make stationary bases and faction camps better and more interesting, and they're also looking at making automotive work more difficult if you're alone and don't have access to a proper garage. It is kind of bananas that the Padre just sawed the back off a military humvee, stuck on an extended cab that he made out of random poo poo, and turned it into a better vehicle than any the military had in just a couple of days using a homemade arc welder that runs on laptop batteries.

Our deathmobile is very well armored and built pretty solidly, but it isn't invulnerable. A determined hulk or juggernaut could get in here, and even regular zombies could eventually break the windshield. Even if they couldn't, we're still running on tires. 32 inch armored tires, sure, but those aren't invincible and if they get too damaged, the thing won't work. Zombies never give up or get tired, so if your murdertruck gets mobbed, you can be in a lot of trouble. That's why we have multiple exits, and that's we will still be somewhat careful around hordes.

As we pack up our humvee, we realize the shopping cart won't fit. We can't very well leave it behind!

I switched our arm guards for some chainmail sleeves. They have a bit of encumbrance, but they come in at 90 coverage, which should be much better for us. Also please note that Father Kelly is no longer wearing his cassock, he's now dressed as a roman centurion with sunglasses and heelies.

Using our newfound welding skills, we prepare a foldable frame and basket, replacing our old cart's non-folding parts with them.

After that, we pack everything into our vehicle. With Isaac securely buckled in, we depart on our pilgrimage, driving out of a Thorndike that was much quieter than the one we arrived in.

Far from our parish (though perhaps the whole world is our parish now), we find what God has commanded us to find. Within a patch of forest, new life blooms.

We will once more return to Eden, this time to strike down the serpent and partake of a new fruit.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 17, 2022

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
The blessings seem to be just raining down on Father Kelly, praise be

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Question can we use 7.62mm in the M40 and M240 without doing anything with it or we have to belt it for the Machine guns?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh fuuuuuuuuuuck, a Steel Zweihander!

I've only gotten lucky and found a Zweihander that wasn't from a lovely material(we've seen budget steel but not the other one I know of, is it a spoiler to mention it?) only once, but I was a loving god of destruction even with mediocre melee skills. You can scythe through hordes of so many enemy types with it so easily that it's barely even funny. It's easy to feel invulnerable and go: "psh, yeah, I can take that :smug:" when you meet something you should know better than to tangle with.

Also that deathmobile rules.

Does CDDA have any capacity for non-procgen maps? Like if, say, someone wanted to map out the Great Lakes or their neighbourhood or something of that sort? It could be cool to explore some "real" locations(real in the sense that the tiles and shop locations correspond to the real world).

And when the Zweihander wants blood, is there a morale boost for indulging it? :v: It would be kind of cool if "playing along" with your hallucinations could give you morale boosts, meaning you'd sometimes have a reason to do "illogical" things even when you, the player, knew a hallucinated thing wasn't really there.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

ChaosDragon posted:

Question can we use 7.62mm in the M40 and M240 without doing anything with it or we have to belt it for the Machine guns?

It only takes ammo belts, we can't use loose rounds or magazines. The belts are made out of 7.62 rounds and .308 ammo belt linkage. We get to keep the linkage after we fire so if we find a box of 7.62 or reload the rounds after we shoot them, we could put them back on a belt.

Tin Tim posted:

I think it's a pretty solid piece of in-game writing in regards to being realistic and triggering an emotional response from the player. Like I don't want to oversell it but little pieces like this remind you that all the scary zombs you've been killing used to be people and makes you think a bit about the events going on in the game

A lot of the lore around ferals and stuff is new-ish (it was always in there but we didn't have ferals like we have now, and their role was very much just "people went crazy and did stupid things before they turned into zombies") and you can feel some of the writers' frustrations about living through the last ten years. Zombie stories can't help but be political and the idea of losing friends and loved ones to one inexplicable mass psychosis or another is certainly relatable, especially since CDDA makes it clear that no one's really immune. How sane could Gray possibly be, building pirate ships and willingly fighting hundreds of terrifying monsters like that?

worm girl fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 17, 2022

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I would've thought a different song for the Father finding a zweihander...

God drat I need to either fix my stat spread or something about how I'm playing, I play more cautiously than you've been playing Gray and the Father and I lose a character every other day it feels like.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think you can also butcher humans with no morale penalty if you just have the Cannibal trait. At least that how its seems to be working with my spiritual cannibal (no psychopath).

What's the best way to get clay from the ground? Just dig up the tile with a shovel?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh fuuuuuuuuuuck, a Steel Zweihander!

I've only gotten lucky and found a Zweihander that wasn't from a lovely material(we've seen budget steel but not the other one I know of, is it a spoiler to mention it?) only once, but I was a loving god of destruction even with mediocre melee skills. You can scythe through hordes of so many enemy types with it so easily that it's barely even funny. It's easy to feel invulnerable and go: "psh, yeah, I can take that :smug:" when you meet something you should know better than to tangle with.

Also that deathmobile rules.

Does CDDA have any capacity for non-procgen maps? Like if, say, someone wanted to map out the Great Lakes or their neighbourhood or something of that sort? It could be cool to explore some "real" locations(real in the sense that the tiles and shop locations correspond to the real world).

And when the Zweihander wants blood, is there a morale boost for indulging it? :v: It would be kind of cool if "playing along" with your hallucinations could give you morale boosts, meaning you'd sometimes have a reason to do "illogical" things even when you, the player, knew a hallucinated thing wasn't really there.

We've probably seen the other kinds in passing somewhere and I've explained the idea of janky weapons, so I wouldn't consider the other crappy metals a spoiler, have at it.

Unfortunately world mapgen doesn't have that kind of thing yet, though some work has been done toward making a few different biomes, and there's been talk of someday having that expressed in a single game world. Personally I would love it if there was an actual ocean to the east, and an accurate map of Delaware or something would be wild.

Currently hallucinations are just annoying and sometimes confusing or funny. When I was working on the car there was a lot of "OK is that an actual police bot coming toward me or can I keep welding this door?" I think dropping little rewards for roleplaying would be a super welcome change, as would weighting hallucinations toward stuff that's actually supposed to be in the area so they're harder to ignore.

Galick posted:

I would've thought a different song for the Father finding a zweihander...

God drat I need to either fix my stat spread or something about how I'm playing, I play more cautiously than you've been playing Gray and the Father and I lose a character every other day it feels like.

Mistakes were made, I forgot about that song! And IMO just grab 12 str, 12 dex, a handgun, and either a real sword or a shillelagh and you can faceroll your way into summer. Also before you have 2 melee you are going to suck poo poo in combat so figure out a way to practice it early if you didn't start with it.

I can't stress enough how much easier it is to play as Kelly than Gray. Kelly just wanders around holding tab and slaughtering stuff for the most part, especially now, and playing Gray has always been a tense experience. I think part of it is that I was relying on the old bashing weapon/strength meta and bash has seen some much-needed nerfs while cut really has been improved a lot.

dervinosdoom posted:

I think you can also butcher humans with no morale penalty if you just have the Cannibal trait. At least that how its seems to be working with my spiritual cannibal (no psychopath).

What's the best way to get clay from the ground? Just dig up the tile with a shovel?

Thanks! I edited my post and went back and changed what it said in Kelly's first post as well. I remember it being different at some point, but I can't find reference to it in a pull request. Perhaps I'm going feral IRL.

As for clay, go into the build menu (*) and select "extract clay" if there's a patch of it on the ground next to you.

If you can't find any clay patches, you can also just dig deep holes and you will randomly find some. That's a shitload of labor to get very little clay though, you're better off searching for a patch in the woods even though it's more work for you the player.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 17, 2022

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The zweihander is actually one of the worst "weapons of war" in the game, because of the way that stamina usage and weapon speed are based on the size and weight of your weapon, but the damage output is just an arbitrary number someone stuck on there. As far as I can tell none of the people responsible for weapon balance properly take this into account, so the majority of heavy weapons are fairly weak because they have a big stamina penalty without a comparatively increased damage output over time. There are a few outliers, but the heavier swords such as the longsword, zweihander and nodachi are particularly weak, which is a shame because they're loving cool. These weapons still work, but they're just worse than other similar weapons which don't pay the huge premium for being too heavy.

The game never actually tells you that heavier weapons have this stamina penalty, so it's not surprising that people don't realise that it doesn't exist.

worm girl posted:

I can't stress enough how much easier it is to play as Kelly than Gray. Kelly just wanders around holding tab and slaughtering stuff for the most part, especially now, and playing Gray has always been a tense experience. I think part of it is that I was relying on the old bashing weapon/strength meta and bash has seen some much-needed nerfs while cut really has been improved a lot.

I think weakpoints do help cut weapons perform better, but I still don't see a great reason to use cut over bash / pierce unless your build is specifically bad with the latter (no strength / skill respectively)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

worm girl posted:

We've probably seen the other kinds in passing somewhere and I've explained the idea of janky weapons, so I wouldn't consider the other crappy metals a spoiler, have at it.

Sweet! If you're inattentive, "Budget Steel" usually gets revealed when your weapon works more as a bludgeon than as a cutting weapon, but there's something worse... aluminium. One time I thought I'd found a good Zweihander, went "HO HO HO, WE'RE GONNA FIGHT SOME ZOMBIES," went out and took a swing and... bonk. Bonk? Bonk bonk bonk. I swear I would've been more efficient with a stick!

RabidWeasel posted:

The zweihander is actually one of the worst "weapons of war" in the game,

You're not allowed to slander my darling like that.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

RabidWeasel posted:

The zweihander is actually one of the worst "weapons of war" in the game, because of the way that stamina usage and weapon speed are based on the size and weight of your weapon, but the damage output is just an arbitrary number someone stuck on there. As far as I can tell none of the people responsible for weapon balance properly take this into account, so the majority of heavy weapons are fairly weak because they have a big stamina penalty without a comparatively increased damage output over time. There are a few outliers, but the heavier swords such as the longsword, zweihander and nodachi are particularly weak, which is a shame because they're loving cool. These weapons still work, but they're just worse than other similar weapons which don't pay the huge premium for being too heavy.

The game never actually tells you that heavier weapons have this stamina penalty, so it's not surprising that people don't realise that it doesn't exist.

I think weakpoints do help cut weapons perform better, but I still don't see a great reason to use cut over bash / pierce unless your build is specifically bad with the latter (no strength / skill respectively)

that sounds like they're balanced to do Big Numbers at the cost of low overall dps, making it a situational tradeoff in an attempt to avoid having being one weapon be the optimal answer to every question?

just that the rest of the game isn't really balanced to put the player in a whole lot of situations where a heavy weapon is ideal, because you can't just dodgeroll out of combat and burn a town portal scroll to recharge your stamina on The Elemental Plane of Power-Naps

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
...h... heelys...

A Roman centurion more-or-less with a zweihander and heelys. And he's terrifying. This is amazing.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

RabidWeasel posted:

They make up for it by having decent bash damage which is further helped from the flat bash bonus from your strength, which allows for better coverage against moderately armored enemies, and strength reduces stamina drain for heavy weapons. Kelly can swing about 11 times per bar of stamina and does ~45 on a normal hit and ~62 on a crit, which is more than acceptable for a reach weapon with brutal strike IMO.

I think the zweihander might still fall flat against a juggernaut, but I'm eager to see how it scales up with our skill. I took a year-ish break from the game and the weapon meta seems to have changed a lot in that time. It used to be you'd just grab a cudgel and go bananas on juggernauts, almost all cut weapons stopped working entirely in like mid summer, and stab was kind of lame until you hit 7 or 8 skill, at which point a combat knife became the strongest thing around.

I'm aware there's one medieval weapon in particular we haven't seen yet that is supposed to be king poo poo right now, but we've had bad luck finding the medieval weaponry books.

silentsnack posted:

that sounds like they're balanced to do Big Numbers at the cost of low overall dps, making it a situational tradeoff in an attempt to avoid having being one weapon be the optimal answer to every question?

just that the rest of the game isn't really balanced to put the player in a whole lot of situations where a heavy weapon is ideal, because you can't just dodgeroll out of combat and burn a town portal scroll to recharge your stamina on The Elemental Plane of Power-Naps

You sort of can, actually. Ladders, doors, stairs, fences, and vehicles are all available as points of egress that you should always keep close behind you. It's often a really good idea to run away when you're at like 3/5 stamina bars, break line of sight, and catch your breath. The zombies aren't exactly going anywhere, and most of them are bad at following.

It's also very easy to keep a combat knife or something on you in case you need to switch to a weapon that costs less stamina or does a different type of damage. If your weapon has good parry, you can also pass turns with (.) and you'll recover stamina fairly quickly unless your character has bad cardio or something.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 17, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think I know which weapon worm speaks of, and it slaps hard against zombies

Also keeping a sheathed knife and holstered pistol is a great plan for when things go WHOOPS bad, because bare hands against the undead is a bad idea.

For people considering weapons as well please note because it can be easily missed but: The Zweihander is good because of brutal strike which can stun a zombie and shove it, and even though it is a sword, note that it has "Reach" meaning you can tab zombies away from outside most zombies grasping claws*

*not applicable against juggernauts, hulks, and grabbers as already seen in previous lp sessions

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 17, 2022

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I think strength reducing stamina consumption got removed a while ago, I vaguely remember testing this at some point and unless I'm misremembering your stamina consumption doesn't vary with strength.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

worm girl posted:

I saw the ambush coming as easily as the other posters said, but I wanted to fall into it anyway just to see how it shook out.

The big zoomed out map screen is more like your map screen in most games where you can check it and look around on it, but you can't move or do anything there, mostly. There is an autotravel system (not fast travel) but I usually don't use it.

Awesome, thank you so much for confirming. I think I know what my issue is. I think I had this game confused with something else - Neo Scavenger I think it is called?

The level of simulation here is nuts, it's really impressive, reminds of Dwarf Fortress levels of skin/muscle/bone layering.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

RabidWeasel posted:

I think strength reducing stamina consumption got removed a while ago, I vaguely remember testing this at some point and unless I'm misremembering your stamina consumption doesn't vary with strength.

Good catch. It looks like they changed how stamina consumption in melee works back in August. It now uses the jsonized limb system, which at a glance seems to only account for encumbrance and traits. I'll test it later and if you're right I'll go back and make edits.

That is pretty weird if so. What exactly is strength supposed to be good for if not that? It seems like dex is now the best stat hands down.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Carry weight, block power, hp and bonus melee damage are the primary things I can think of off the top of my head.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Picayune posted:

...h... heelys...

A Roman centurion more-or-less with a zweihander and heelys. And he's terrifying. This is amazing.

Yeah, before we get too bogged down in sword talk, can we just appreciate this image :allears:

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

worm girl posted:

Also please note that Father Kelly is no longer wearing his cassock, he's now dressed as a roman centurion with sunglasses and heelies.

Ave Caesar.

I'm loving the LP so far, CDDA is always an amazing read!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Picayune posted:

...h... heelys...

Heelys would explain why the Roman road system was so well developed for the time...

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

i think it got removed when they added the athletics skill, but don't quote me on that.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

We don a gas mask before approaching. Something tells us this will be more challenging than the last garden we visited.

fungal tendril posted:

A long and delicate-looking tendril with a sharp tip.

Whiplike roots push up out of the ground and lash at us from quite a distance away. One of the saved bars our path. This is a test, and we will prove ourself worthy.

Our blade makes short work of them.

fungaloid shambler posted:

A large white fungus, a bulging gray stalk supporting a bloom at the top. Spores float from its gills and tendrils extend from the base. Chunks of rock, metal, bone, and wood are held by tendrils as a kind of armor.

Fungaloids are mostly harmless. They wander around spreading spores, which causes the ground and any zombies or plant matter to become moldy. Shamblers like this one are a bit tougher and can fight, but they're not exactly a threat.

Tendrils can pop up wherever and attack from a distance. They don't hit hard, but there are a lot of them and they continually respawn.

We dispatch one of the roots, scattering pollen as we go.

These spores will also infect you if they touch you and you don't have environmental protection on your mouth and eyes. Most fungal monsters create some when they die, and so do the fungal shrubs and mounds lying around.

We hack our way through the garden like a jungle explorer. Blooming vines and twining branches spring up everywhere to block our path, protecting the serpent.

This fungal tower is responsible for the tendrils, as well as a lot of the other crap around here. It's stationary and mostly just grows defenses around itself.

Closer now, we find our way blocked by thorns. We slash at them, but they regrow almost as fast as we can cut them away. The length of our blade allows us the occasional chance to strike at the serpent without getting closer to the other thorns.

The hedgerows kind of hurt. Using a reach weapon lets us stay at this outside corner so that only one can hurt us at a time.

The serpent hisses and rattles as we strike it again and again. We are come avenge the original sin, deceiver!

Clearing the thorns is exhausting work.

At last, the serpent collapses.

Of COURSE it would have two more heads!

The towers grow hedgerows and tendrils, the spires I think are growing the fungal masses and fungal tangles that block our path.

We take the blood of the first serpent. We will likely need more, but we cannot stay here much longer.

More roots (serpent tails?) arise to bite us, but we bite back.

We come away feeling unbearably itchy. Oh no!

The enemies here aren't extremely dangerous, but -60% speed sure is.

Smelling and tasting mushrooms is a sure sign we have a fungal infection, if itchy skin wasn't proof enough.

We strip off our mask to eat the serpent's blood and discover the source of our failure: the gas mask is damaged! We're not sure if this happened during the fighting or if we were foolish enough to forget to check it beforehand.

The blood is delicious, but we need more.

We repair our mask and take an antifungal pill. We won't feel better immediately, but eventually the itching should stop.

We return to the garden, resolute in our purpose.

We can cut through the fungal mass, but eventually they get converted to fungal walls and those are impassible and our zweihander isn't enough to smash them.

The fight wears on longer than we'd hoped it would, and we're getting too tired to continue.

This is probably down to our super slowness allowing the hedgerows to grow back faster than they did the first time.

Our armor is strong, but the thorns drive us back.

We drive some distance away, bind our wounds, and decide to rest and try again tomorrow.

It's very important that we drive away here. The reality bubble extends 2.5 tiles on the world map around the player, and everything within that space is "live", that means enemies in that area will walk around and do whatever it is they do. With fungal stuff, that means it's constantly spitting out spores and will rapidly grow out of control if you try to sleep next to it. If it's outside your reality bubble, it won't grow at all.

It's a very poorly balanced system and it's long been something the devs want to change. There are plans to make it be sort of vaguely simulated even when out of the bubble, and for expansion to require the intake of biomass which could then be spent on growth or on producing/promoting workers or defenders like the tendrils and fungaloids.

Some stuff is partially simulated outside the reality bubble. Crops grow, monsters evolve, if you have hordes enabled they travel overland in sort of a simulated way. Places aren't totally trapped in amber while you're gone.

We return, eager to get back to it.

The serpent's many tails spring up to block our way. We are lashed from every direction, and no matter how many we strike down, there are always more.

Our stamina sucks extra hard because we have a gas mask on, which slows stamina regen.

We easily get beyond the garden to catch our breath. There is one more strategy available to us, though we are loathe to resort to it.

Above all else, the garden fears the flame.

The serpent tries to stop us, but we set a few fires and retreat to let them burn.

The sight fills us with the most uncanny sorrow.

At least one cherub has escaped

The serpent's twin heads are immune to the flames, but the path to them is clear.

This happened in like 10 minutes.

We circle the pair, waiting for our opportunity.

God turns a baleful eye to us. How dare we sully the garden!

We will need to work quickly, it will not be safe here for long.

Our mounted M249 light machine gun spits a storm of bullets at the serpent, laying it low. We run in to claim our prize.

We claim it, and return to our humvee.

Had to grab it quick before it burned!

Once again, bliss overtakes us, and we feel something change.

We've tasted the blood and the seed, but whither the fruit?

We close the curtains on our windows and activate the cameras. Outside, a storm of flying blades slice through the poor cherubim, unaware of our presence within the vehicle.

We will rest here and prepare a pizza.

Portal storm enemies will leave you alone if you're in a car and they can't see you. All you need to put up curtains in a car window or door is a sheet, so it's recommended you grab some if you're traveling.

We decide to drive in search of fruit. perhaps climbing this radio tower will show us the way.

Buzzing insects surround the tower. What is this...?

We stand in the shadow of something that strains even our battered imagination. A wasp nest of unbelievable proportions has been built on the radio tower. Bones and scraps lie scattered around, remnants of the insects' meals.

I love the shadow here.

Someone, a military pilot, we must assume, was brought here and devoured. His equipment lies in shreds on the grass.

Fascinating.

We attempt to scale the tower. God gave man dominion over all the beasts of the earth, so they had better clear a path!

The paper walls here are thinner. We cut our way inside and discover cells with immature wasps in them.

Perhaps offended by our presence, many of the adult wasps attempt to stop us, but we simply bat them out of the air.

We feel nothing as we skewer their queen.

Our goggles do not reveal the wasps to us through the paper walls as we thought they might, perhaps it's because they aren't warm-blooded. We also can't find any exterior access - the top of the tower is swallowed up by the hive and there's no way to get a view from high up.

That's exactly why. I'm so mad that Kelly found this and not Gray!

This map is really cool. Super dangerous, but we're well prepared for it.

We drive along the coast, looking for another gate to the garden.

It's a long trip and we come up emptyhanded. We may wish to return to Thorndike and consider our options.

We find a dead woman by the side of the road. She's wearing very little. The damned take nothing when they kill, this was the work of mortal men.

We say a prayer for the fallen and get to work doing what we can for her.

Jerky isn't as shelf-stable as dehydrated meat, but you don't need any fancy equipment to make it.

No part of her is wasted, we may at least say that much.

The seed we planted may yet bear fruit, but it's a while off.

We decide to plant seeds acquired on our recent journey as well.

I'm not sure what these grow into. They're fungal seeds, not marloss seeds.

We decide to return to the first garden we visited. Perhaps there's something there we missed.

Aha!

I feel like a dope for missing this, in my defense the screen is completely covered in a haze of spores.

The fruit is ours.

"As we celebrate this Eucharist, we ask God to forgive our trespasses and guide us through these times of tribulation."

"It is a felony to remove this unit from your local Save-Mart."

"Amen."

It takes a few tries, but we are finally able to partake of the fruit.

What is this? Did we...fall asleep? There is a bush in front of the altar.

We take a bite, and then we are gone.

we take a moment to evaluate. innumerable minds look out through a single set of eyes, a galaxy compressed to a single point.

the local guide called itself father kelly. It killed another, and assumed its identity. we will make use of its thought and form.

Note that our profession at the top of our character sheet no longer says Priest. Something has fundamentally changed about our character, and there is no going back.

it realizes there is still more fruit before it, and it is compelled to partake.

ihere is consensus: this guide will do. we adjust its - our - body. if it is to be the shepherd, the sheep must recognize it.

We have begun to mutate.

it continues to eat, and we spread our mycelia throughout its flesh until the two are wholly interwoven.

Welcome to mutations! We've seen NPCs with them, but we've never had any ourselves until now. Mycus is one of the many routes you can take to become something other than human in CDDA. We will be exploring the others in due time.

Being wet now upsets our character much less than it used to, and he gains 1 innate cut and 2 innate bash armor with 100% coverage on his whole body. He also looks loving disgusting because he's turned into a walking mold monster. Most NPCs will now be very afraid of him.

He will continue to mutate occasionally from now on, though it will happen more slowly as time passes.

as the guide sleeps, it dreams our thoughts.

like all life, we were simpler once. how many untold eons did we ride the portal storms before the first thoughts bloomed in our network? we must have been individual before we were a collective, and then a simple devourer before we became so much more.

we stretch through the guide's tangled neurons, thinking its thoughts. the guide's tiny perspective echoes out into the local network, informing our identity even as it is absorbed into the greater whole.

we once were lost, but now we are found.

We're starving. Yesterday's epiphany took a lot out of us. Tears stream from our eyes as we gulp down anything we can get our hands on. To be returned to a state of grace, to be filled with the holy spirit at all times - it is a miracle, unprecedented!

We are welcomed in the garden now.

The angels dance and blow their trumpets, and flowers bloom at their feet.

We need no longer fear infection. God has stripped from us the curse He laid on Adam and Eve.

The lion will lie down with the lamb.

All fungal creatures, including fungal zombies, are now friendly to us. We're all part of the same superorganism. We are still slowed when we get spore-dusted, but breathing the spores doesn't hurt us at all.

We sleep, and when we wake, we recall a passage from the book of Exodus.

"Then the Lord said to Moses: I am going to rain down bread from heaven for you. Each day the people are to go out and gather their daily portion; thus will I test them, to see whether they follow my instructions or not."

We shall eat nothing else, and we shall never want for anything again.

This is actually a huge problem. The wording on these mutations is a little cryptic, but this one basically means we can now only eat Mycus fruit and Marloss seeds/berries/gelatin. The stuff is great food and it never spoils, but we don't have very much of it yet. This mutation is inevitable, but I was hoping it wouldn't happen until later.

This also means that our cannibal days are over. We can't eat people ever again.

We step out of our humvee and find the world changed.

This is why you don't normally want to sleep near fungal patches. For Father Kelly, though, these patches are now our home turf.

Give us this day our daily bread.

When spores land on plants, sometimes they'll turn into Marloss bushes. We can pick the fruit off of these and eat them.

Ma'am.

Some of the fungaloids will very rarely look super cute in this tileset and I laugh whenever I see it. It's just a joke, though I suppose the Mycus could be trying to make them look more inviting to the surviving humans, or maybe Kelly's just hallucinating.

We back the humvee out and head for the woods.

I love that there's a patch of bare asphalt where our car was.

North. If we are to be good stewards, we must lead the colony to additional hosts.

We review our supplies. We'll probably have to donate most of this to charity.

We can't even drink water anymore! the fruit provides for all needs.

As Eden spreads over Earth, we find a bounty laid out before us.

We are reminded of Francis of Assisi, walking through nature with a book in hand, attended by beasts and birds.

We haven't moved, the fungaloids just work really fast. Basically we're just walking them over to the woods and wasting time while they convert everything to Mycus. They don't follow us, but if we stick one corner of our reality bubble in a fungal area, they'll wander through the whole thing and spread fungus as we move the bubble around.

The purpose of all this is to stockpile food so we're not stuck here. The Mycus has basically enslaved Kelly - since it's the only possible source of food for him, he has to help it or he'll starve. It's pretty easy work though, and the food is good.

In a day we've collected enough food for a week.

The angels have worked quickly to spread the garden.

We do our part, leading them to a farm and smashing the fence down.

It isn't long before they arrive.

This converts the corn plants into fungal flower seedlings. I'm not sure if we can eat whatever those grow into or not, but if we can this'll be awesome.

This is what I love about mutations in this game. We're not just a mushroom flavored survivor, our lifestyle and gameplay loop have fundamentally changed because our basic needs are so different now.

They work throughout the night.

With 72 fungaloids on screen it takes over a minute IRL to sleep for 8 hours.

"...Isaac?"

Isaac is gone. His leash lies on the floor - has someone kidnapped him?

"Isaac! My son, where are you?!"

"Has anyone seen poor Isaac?!"

Eventually we spot him, fleeing across the field. We don't understand!

We were stuck on mold duty and had to spend a couple days in the woods. His friendship timer must have run out and he loving untied himself and left. He's afraid of the fungaloids and they're everywhere so he just booked it, and he's way too fast to catch. I lost him very quickly. I'm sorry, everyone.

the guide will require further maturation if it is to carry out our will.

mycus blossoms posted:

We have developed local blossoms. The Mycus must grow.

This mutation makes us randomly cough up a small amount of spores.

We awaken to find one of the cherubs slain. What is this?!

Demons attack the poor things in defiance of God's order. We rush to their defence, sword in hand.

They're coming from over here.

There is a hole in the earth which is not a hole.

we must spread the colony, even at the expense of a guide.

Suddenly, we are a short distance from where we began. We try again and again, but the hole never leads anywhere else.

this is a stable portal, wrapped to itself on this side. we cannot use it to spread, and further experimentation risks damaging our guide.

You should not ever do this. Do you notice how the Father is glowing? There's nothing on our character sheet about it, but that visual effect should be enough to explain that it's bad.

as we fight to protect the colony, we adapt to better protect it.

This will give us a big buff under certain circumstances. We haven't encountered these circumstances yet, but we'll go over it when we do. Otherwise it does nothing.

The peaceful little cherubs are incapable of doing wrong. The demons must be punished!

These slimes are loving up our meal ticket by killing fungaloids, so we gotta deal with 'em.

Slimes hunt by sound. The fungaloids make little "pouf" noises constantly, so the slimes are drawn to them. We holler a bunch and they focus on us instead.

We slay over a hundred demons.

Eventually the greater angels join in, and the garden is pure again.

Now well stocked on food, we decide to go for a drive, looking for souls to save.

We visit this lonesome farmhouse at the end of the road, but find it overgrown and decaying.

"Hello? Is anyone home?"

We clear a barricade leading into the barn and are attacked by one of the damned.

All that ammunition, but she only used one bullet. Such a waste.

She had quite the setup here. Food, weapons, she would have made a fine disciple.

There is a shallow grave marked by a simple memorial behind the barn. We say a solemn prayer and move on.

The farmhouse is in ruins. They must have been squatting here. Oh, if only we'd come sooner...

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Time to unite this besieged world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

RabidWeasel posted:

You were right, by the way, strength makes zero difference. Kelly does have indefatigable but that only goes so far.

I know they were worried about strength being too important, but now I think it's kind of a lame stat compared to dexterity. Strength isn't useless, but dexterity is accuracy, crits, dodging, blocking, aim speed, climbing, balance, and a ton of other things.