Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

turn left john

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

turn back and to the left john

corrected that for ya

Anyhoo any discussion of “well it was just tape” is pretty disingenuous given the tight windows NASCAR has now, plus the impact small changes can make on speedway aero in any case. Once I heard it was tape there, my thought was “oh to kick more air out around the car, naturally.”

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I mean “it’s just tape” doesn’t hold much water seeing as Denny drove through the field twice and Kyle could pick off five spots per restart, while pretty much every other car besides Chastain was stuck in place.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Those two cars were visibly faster throughout the race.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Yeah I've seen other people on social media taking the but it's just a piece of tape defense and I'm just like do you really think they'd do it if it didn't give them an advantage? Teams just don't do illegal poo poo for fun. Obviously they were aware that a few thousandths of tape infront of the wheel openings gave them some significant aero advantage.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
They talked about it on Door Bumper Clear, not to keep bringing it up, and apparently just calling it "tape" didn't really do it justice. Even with the Chase Elliott conspiracies, for NASCAR to just throw out results for two big name drivers there had to be some pretty egregious shenanigans going on. Curious to see how it changes the pre-race inspection because it sounds like it was pretty drat clever, whatever they pulled off.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mischief posted:

They talked about it on Door Bumper Clear, not to keep bringing it up, and apparently just calling it "tape" didn't really do it justice. Even with the Chase Elliott conspiracies, for NASCAR to just throw out results for two big name drivers there had to be some pretty egregious shenanigans going on. Curious to see how it changes the pre-race inspection because it sounds like it was pretty drat clever, whatever they pulled off.

The only thing I'd argue is that if a "bit of tape", no matter how clever, can have that much effect on performance, then the cars are way too aero-dependent and they should go back to the old days of boxy 1980s bodies.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

dennyk posted:

The only thing I'd argue is that if a "bit of tape", no matter how clever, can have that much effect on performance, then the cars are way too aero-dependent and they should go back to the old days of boxy 1980s bodies.

They should cause it’s cool but I think it means the cars flip over too much and cause things like broken spines which is mostly bad.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I can't remember the term they used for the tape but it sounded like it was more similar to a firm plastic sheet than anything and they were covering up ducts/aero on the front and back.

Whatever it was, it worked.

Elephanthead posted:

They should cause it’s cool but I think it means the cars flip over too much and cause things like broken spines which is mostly bad.

Bring back the Skoal 33 and just race 40+ of them. Should end well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mischief posted:

Bring back the Skoal 33 and just race 40+ of them. Should end well.

Specifically, the one they has with the spoiler that retracted, I presume?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Elephanthead posted:

unhook the deck lid so it's like a giant air brake, problem solved

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Lol Chastain tried the Mario Kart shortcut strategy

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Good race, glad Chastain’s move didn’t ruin Reddicks race.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

indy road course has some flaws

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
An entertaining finish, Trackhouse and the Dinger lookin good there at the end, I thought he might get away with another one there for a second. I moved away from the SW vista deck this year in favor of the penthouse seats, it looks like box 6 or so is the place to be over there. This wraps up my biggest race weekend of the year, having attended all 3 events at IMS this weekend. I'm exhausted.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Dinger came out of that car on noodle legs, he did not look okay at all.

I don't know why they run that part of the country in the dead loving heat of summer but here we are. He's easily healthier than any of us ITT and today kicked his rear end.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

mischief posted:

I don't know why they run that part of the country in the dead loving heat of summer but here we are. He's easily healthier than any of us ITT and today kicked his rear end.

well all his cooling poo poo broke and he was out of water was the main thing

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

kidcoelacanth posted:

well all his cooling poo poo broke and he was out of water was the main thing

And he raced yesterday

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

mischief posted:

it was only 84 degrees out according to the broadcast

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Oh, absolutely heard that he had a stack of issues. Some of them run the helmet, lots of them are moving to the suit. For him once it broke he was basically driving around in saran wrap and out of water in his bottle. I'm sure it was miserable.

Doesn't change the fact that Indiana is a poo poo hole. :v:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

mischief posted:

It's actually pretty nice here. And very cheap!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mischief posted:

Oh, absolutely heard that he had a stack of issues. Some of them run the helmet, lots of them are moving to the suit. For him once it broke he was basically driving around in saran wrap and out of water in his bottle. I'm sure it was miserable.

Well go ahead and make a list of places Nascar races that are not poo poo holes.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well go ahead and make a list of places Nascar races that are not poo poo holes.

hmm... sonoma?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Club ticket deposits are live for Chicago: https://fevo.us/fv-offer--20220715-QHT-1638/

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Let's go, Bubba!!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Race was good? At Michigan?

Booth was good? Without Rick Allen?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Race was decent, and booth was decent. Now maybe Letarte could learn to shut up every once in a while.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ungratek posted:

Race was decent, and booth was decent. Now maybe Letarte could learn to shut up every once in a while.

I kind of like hearing Letarte about 3 times per race, or so, say, Now watch, watch what this car does he's the only car going low in 3 & 4...except this time, of course. It's like without fail he goes to point something out that never happens again.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
He had a rude nickname for a reason.

I appreciate his enthusiasm but holy poo poo, are we looking at the same race?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Chastain drives way over his head. Be surprised if he even makes the Round of 8 at this point

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Man Bell needed 1-2 more laps

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Ungratek posted:

Chastain drives way over his head.

What does this mean?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Weather seemed nice, attendance looked awful, and also looked like they were deliberately keeping the camera from the stands. Also curious that Harvick implied something about the car liking the track better as the sun went down.

Hard to measure if the daytime track is better anyway, new car lol

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Richmond was a good race. It's nice to get one in that doesn't have a billion cautions and lots of bullshit things happening. Last stage was run hard from start to finish and Harvick held off Buescher, then Bell (barely).

Next week:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Ungratek posted:

Man Bell needed 1-2 more laps

That 20 car was hauling rear end there at the end. Decent race. Had a good little nap in the middle.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

camoseven posted:

What does this mean?

He's wrecking someone every week. Isolated they can be chalked up as "racing incidents" but its him every week so he's putting his car into places where he shouldn't.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ungratek posted:

He's wrecking someone every week. Isolated they can be chalked up as "racing incidents" but its him every week so he's putting his car into places where he shouldn't.

It's not good when the rest of the field has adopted the phrase "getting Chastained". I'm sure there are other guys that drive a little too hard when they shouldn't be and it doesn't help that Chastain is usually near the front and has been pretty prominent this season so every time something happens its going to get attention but overall I'd say he just doesn't seem to have a dimmer switch. The power comes on and it's at 100% the whole race with no backing off. I would think it's something he'll learn over time but I guess we'll see.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
Going bowling with the Iceman this week!

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'll be surprised if Kvyat's car finishes the race without breaking, but Kimi should have good equipment. Gonna be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Who’s idea was it to put Larson in the 88 car? :heritage: