Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's also a point of pride that ours, Polish, came just years after the US (course, it didn't last long).

I had that repeated to me a lot when I was growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

There's something of a constitution age dick measuring game internationally, mainly because of America.

For its sake we ignore that older constitutions also tend to be markedly worse than modern ones as legal frameworks.

Constitution of Pylyp Orlyk is very old. It also never went into effect, is more than a little anti-semitic, and has some ...interesting... takes on history.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The worst part is how many crazies import their idea about what is in the constitution from misunderstood American idiots. No buddy, we don't have constitutional right to own weapons and that's good.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-court-greenlights-brussels-power-to-cut-funds-over-rule-of-law-concerns/

CJEU has ruled that EU funding may be cut over rule-of-law concerns, as expected.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How American would you guys say this veggie mix is?

In Poland baked potato=USA. And corn.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 16, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That looks alright, to be frank. I may be biased since I spent my first year working by making myself dinners from random Hortex bags and sausage.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mokotow posted:

In Poland baked potato=USA.
Well, corn, green beans, and potatoes are from America, so pretty American.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Something feels off about that non-brocolli, but I can't quite place it.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
trick question, Americans don't eat vegetables

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
No Ranch; Not American, afaik.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's the opposite of fake veggie burgers, and all of that is made from pink chicken slime?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

According to a quick search, broccoli is the most popular vegetable in the US and I don't think cauliflower is a good replacement at all.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Mokotow posted:

Potatoes don't belong in a frozen vegetable medley. The cauliflower should also be broccoli but that one I'll let slide.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I remember those things being one of my main dishes before dark ages of parenthood. Just throw them on a pan, add some fish sticks or maybe bacon and dinner for two was done.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Mexican Mix is superior, imo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Mexican Mix is superior, imo.

Hortex Italian is nice too.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Kind of surprised you guys know Hortex :confused:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's odd to see cauliflower in place of broccoli. It's even odder to see potato chunks in a frozen vegetable medley.

I'd probably buy it if was available at my local supermarket though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Cheapest frozen vegetable brand here. Our largest supermarket chain is Lithuanian, and that way we get a lot of food imported from Poland.

Fun fact, there’s a tiny supermarket chain that styles itself as if for rich people, and they also sell Hortex. For like €2.50/bag.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

szary posted:

trick question, Americans don't eat vegetables

It's funny because there's an American stereotype that Eastern European countries eat a diet of potatoes, turnips, beets, pork, and pretty much nothing else.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That’s way too many ingredients, to represent an average meal here.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s way too many ingredients, to represent an average meal here.

And not nearly enough bread or cereals. (Grechka!)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Potatoes in the mixed frozen packs is pure scam, so are carrots

Just buy separate packs of brocolli, of cauliflower and green beans for pure value

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I actually ate at a lot of Polish restaurants when I lived in England just to avoid British food. Also Polish specialty stores were the only place I could find sauerkraut on that wretched island.

OddObserver posted:

Americans assume the Soviets stole all the bread and cereals when they left.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

waydownLo posted:

Just saying, maybe there’s not that much inherent virtue in having an old constitution.

From last page but reading this I thought about the US and laughed.

Xarn posted:

The worst part is how many crazies import their idea about what is in the constitution from misunderstood American idiots. No buddy, we don't have constitutional right to own weapons and that's good.

This happens all the time in Poland. 'People should have free healthcare' 'So why does private hc work so well in America?'. I heard this very line lots of times. Even from one Slovakian lady living in New York.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Terminally Bored posted:

'People should have free healthcare' 'So why does private hc work so well in America?'. I heard this very line lots of times. Even from one Slovakian lady living in New York.

:dafuq:

I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

I'd say in Belarus it's pretty much 50/50 between Russian and Polish brands when it comes to frozen vegetables. Poltino is another brand that comes to mind.

OddObserver posted:

There's also Hawaiian Mix with rice!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Oh it's very simple, really. I respond with 'So why so few Americans can actually afford it?' and then the other person tells me that poors deserve it because they're lazy or it's only the minorities that can't afford it. I stopped talking about it at all.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

It comes from seeing news stories about how the super-well-funded clinics for the super-rich do cool things like Surgery on a Grape and then mistakenly thinking that's available to everyone, because America is Paradise You See.

Same sources that are always going on about NHS waiting times.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I remember there's this one brand of cherry leaf herbal tea I used to buy from a Polish food store in Manchester (along with rye bread, Christ almighty do the English not understand the joys of rye bread so it was impossible to find anywhere else) that is probably my favorite tea ever but I can't remember what it was called.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

US healthcare has some specific benefits, such as the rapid development and availability of new medical tech/methods (primarily to people who can afford it), and physician training, which remains incredibly aggressive and selective compared to a lot of other systems. These are entwined with, but not entirely caused by, the private healthcare system. Looking in from outside, though, or through the lens of experiences abroad, people in other systems can see that US healthcare offers some incredible advantages (again, limited to the people who can afford it), and they can attribute it just to the system not being public (which is itself a simplification). It's true that some of those advantages would be compromised in the transition to the capacity of a full public system, or would require seismic refactoring and reinvestment...which is what should actually happen.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

When the public healthcare fails due to underfunding and paying out of pocket for basic things becomes the norm I get why people might look at worse systems, especially with 5% of paycheck already going into trash (judging by Russia)

szary
Mar 12, 2014

fatherboxx posted:

When the public healthcare fails due to underfunding and paying out of pocket for basic things becomes the norm I get why people might look at worse systems, especially with 5% of paycheck already going into trash (judging by Russia)

Same in Poland, a broken leg or cancer won't put you in debt for life, but on the other hand waiting times times are so long that you either pay out of pocket or your "super urgent!!" procedure gets scheduled for 2025 and you'll be treated like poo poo at the hospital.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

szary posted:

Same in Poland, a broken leg or cancer won't put you in debt for life, but on the other hand waiting times times are so long that you either pay out of pocket or your "super urgent!!" procedure gets scheduled for 2025 and you'll be treated like poo poo at the hospital.

The thing about US is that waiting times still suck. Not 2025 kind of suck, but it still takes forever because extra capacity = more expenses = less profit. (Of course a public system would probably get the same result due to inadequate funding).

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Speaking of constitutions, there is/was a fair amount of very tedious drama around the Latvian constitution and continuous attempts by nationalists and conservatives to constitutionally ban legal recognition of same sex unions of any kind.

Currently it's based on an article amended in 2006 that defines marriage as strictly heterosexual and a constitutional preamble from 2014 which attempts to codify the weird mismash of beliefs that some folks unironically call dzīvesziņa (life wisdom, but a quick search suggests "historical life experiences and moral convictions" as an academical take on the term). I'm not smart enough to criticise the preamble competently, but it's a fairly transparent attempt to codify the ideas that Latvian and Livonian are the majority cultures (I'd prefer to leave the exact interpretation to smarter people) and that the state ideology should be drawing on an interpretation of Christianity with Latvian characteristics.

Encouragingly, a recent petition to demand further constitutional amendments to more explicitlyk reject same-sex unions has been stuck at 20k out of 155k needed signatures for months now and a constitutional court ruling has ordered the legislature to figure out recognition of same-sex unions. Which may actually happen.

Edit: I forgot that two prior petitions for recognition of same-sex unions were rejected by the parliamentary committee. So this adds a layer of irony.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 16, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I remember there's this one brand of cherry leaf herbal tea I used to buy from a Polish food store in Manchester (along with rye bread, Christ almighty do the English not understand the joys of rye bread so it was impossible to find anywhere else) that is probably my favorite tea ever but I can't remember what it was called.

Funnily enough, a smarmy Southampton Asda is the only supermarket where I’ve ever seen a factory sandwich with rye bread.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Seems reasonably close. Broccoli is definitely preferable to cauliflower. I usually see green beans either by themselves or in a mix like this one though:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
As a famous German philosopher may have once said: A life without rye bread is possible, but pointless.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

a podcast for cats posted:

Speaking of constitutions, there is/was a fair amount of very tedious drama around the Latvian constitution and continuous attempts by nationalists and conservatives to constitutionally ban legal recognition of same sex unions of any kind.

Oh you have those fuckers too? I still don't get what makes people so broke brained about same sex marriages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

Oh you have those fuckers too? I still don't get what makes people so broke brained about same sex marriages.

Yeah, like half of our ruling coalition, with addition support in the opposition. It’s completely incoherent xenophobia, which is why the political support is clustered around populist and right-wing parties, which care about bigot vote.

a podcast for cats posted:

a constitutional preamble from 2014 which attempts to codify the weird mismash of beliefs that some folks unironically call dzīvesziņa

I have Opinions ™️ about the preamble to our constitution. As far as I’m concerned, it’s an overtly xenophobic attempt to politely define Latvia as a nationalist ethnostate, which amusingly forgets that we’re supposed to be a secular country.

At least I’ll have my bread and circuses when the civil union law project goes to other ministries and the parliament.

Another cool thing out of Latvian law is tikumība. Good loving luck finding a coherent definition (because existence of one is an epistemological impossibility), what is there to say about explaining it to a foreigner (unless there’s idk, the exact same verbiage in Lithuanian constitution or something).