Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

I just finished watching Babylon 5 for the first time in the B5 Blind Watch thread, and now I'm jumping in to Deep Space Nine. I've seen most of TNG, Picard, Discovery, and some of the movies, but I'm not any sort of expert on Star Trek lore. This one's been on my watch list for awhile, so I've really been looking forward to getting into it.

s01e01 & 02 – The Emissary, Parts 1 & 2
  • I like this throwback to Borg Picard
  • So drat, Picard killed the protag's wife
  • okay but like why do you need a real fishing pole in the holodeck?
  • DS9 has been wrecked by Cardassians. We really are starting from scratch. I love this grungier feel instead of the typical
  • Okay I immediately like Kira
  • lmao holy gently caress at Odo's incorporial defense or whatever that was
  • Sisko's first official act is to arrest a child to basically use as a hostage against Quark
  • Sisko's current task is to help Bajor join the Federation. DS9 is a Bajoran station.
  • Opaka, the Kai, is the Bajoran religious leader and the only thing holding everything together. She tells Sisko that he's going to be the Emissary and shows him the Tear of the Prophet.
  • This orb is one of nine that fell on Bajor, the Cardassians have the other eight. Sisko needs to find the Celestial Temple, where the orbs came from.
  • Bashir is the ignorant chief medical officer. He's smitten with Dax, a Trill symbiote who had a male body previously.
  • Dax touches the orb and has a vision of the moment that she was implanted with the symbiote from Curzon Dax
  • just after the Enterprise leaves, Dukat, the previous Prefect of Bajor, arrives. He knows that Sisko has the orb.
  • that Sisko frown lmao
  • Lots of weird stuff has happened in the Denorios Belt – a Kai had an apparent vision there and the orbs seem to have come from there
  • so Odo is basically a Terminator-esque shapeshifter
  • I love DS9's jankey equipment
  • Sisko and Dax fall into some kind of wormhole that leads to the Gamma quadrant. On their way back, they land on some kind of planet (?) that both of them perceive differently. Sisko starts communicating with incorporeal beings who appear to exist outside of time and space.
  • Having a functional wormhole by DS9 would be a significant boon to the Bajorans
  • Odo was found in the Denorios Belt and doesn't know anything about his species
  • Dukat goes through the wormhole, the aliens get pissed off and shut it down
  • A battle breaks out
  • Bashir gets his chance to prove himself
  • The wormhole opens back up, everything ends well. The aliens will allow people to use to wormhole, so Bajor will become a trading and exploration hub.

I will say that so far I'm really digging this. I tend to gravitate towards shows with politics and psycho/spiritual themes, so this is all right up my alley and I can see why it's been recommended to me before. I'd go so far as to say that the pilot has been more captivating than anything in TNG.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I watched all of ds9 for the first time over 2016-2018 and spoiler: it's good

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
You're gonna enjoy the ride. Best Star Trek by loving miles (o'brien).

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I hadn't really thought of the Terminator comparison with Odo before. Huh.

"Nice bike. Hmmph."

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s01e03 – Past Prologue
  • First introduction to Garak. Might be a spy, definitely a tailor.
  • Bashir is so excited about Garak :buddy:
  • A Bajoran ship gets pursued by Caassians into Barjorn space. He gets beamed to DS9 as his ship explodes. He's Tahna Los and he knows Kira. He's allegedly a Kohn-ma terrorist. He and Kira were in the resistance together.
  • I like this complication of divided loyalties that's starting to crop up.
  • So Kira just jumped a few levels and went to the Admiral about all of this which is surely going to end well
  • And of course Tahna sees her as a sellout
  • Lursa and B'Etor show up. Tahna's up to some shady dealings with them.
  • No surprise that Tahna is using Kira
  • I love how oblivious Bashir is
  • The Duras sisters are selling Tahna bilitrium. He already has one, so he can use both to make a bomb
  • I like the little touch of the Duras sisters facing opposite directions when they beam in so they can’t be ambushed
  • hell yeah, wormhole fight

s01e04 – A Man Alone
  • I think the trans overtones of Dax’s character are really interesting and seems to be pretty well handled for the time
  • The man Odo got into a fight with is Ibudan, a smuggler and murderer. He has amnesty under the Bajoran Provisional Government
  • Aaaand Ibudan just got murdered
  • Keiko wants DS9 to open a school
  • looks like Odo’s getting framed. Lmao his alibi is that he was in a pail
  • of course Ferengi education is just capitalism
  • Odo was head of security under the Cardassians
  • Ibudan was doing some kind of medical experimentation
  • Odo’s quarters got wrecked and he’s becoming the target of a mob
  • Ibudan was making a clone. He murdered the clone so he could fake his death and pin it on Odo.
  • ahahahahah @ Odo posing as a chair
  • “Killing your own clone is murder” apparently
  • aw yay, Keiko’s school is slowly coming together

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone made a mash-up of René Auberjonois's lines from Always Sunny as Odo? I've only seen the series once and it was a long time ago but I could see it working.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s01e05 – Babel
  • Poor O’Brien
  • I haven’t mentioned it before, but the set design is a lot more interesting than TNG. TNG always seemed like it was just the bridge, a hall, and a room or two
  • I don’t think I ever realized that the food is just replicated. So you really could just make it at home.
  • Oh poo poo, first signs of some Babel shenanigans
  • I bet the moral of the story is that the crew needs to learn how to communicate :v:
  • the most unrealistic part of this episode is that everyone believes in the virus :colbert:
  • the device that introduced the virus is Cardassian tech
  • I’m really curious, what does Quark take for payment? I thought I remembered from TNG that the Federation at large doesn’t really use currency anymore
  • It’s actually probably a Bajoran scheme from when DS9 was built
  • The creator of the virus is dead, but his assistant is still around
  • Jaheel tries to escape, might accidentally blow up while attached to DS9
  • Kira just doing straight-up biological assault on the medical director
  • and Quark to the rescue!

s01e06 – Captive Pursuit

• Quark is allegedly a sexual harasser
  • A ship comes through the wormhole after pursuing a Federation scout. It’s first contact with a new species. His name is Tosk.
  • Tosk might’ve been on the run
  • Odo poses as a painting and catches Tosk attempting to break into a security junction
  • some people show up presumably looking for Tosk
  • Interesting that the cop never uses a gun
  • Sisko offers Tosk asylum, Tosk refuses
  • O’Brien bends the rules to let Tosk go into captivity and he tosses his badge on the way out
  • jk it was a fakeout and O’Brien helps Tosk escape the hunt
  • Tosk tells O’Brien to “die with honor” which seems like both a species saying and an ominous prediction
  • and Sisko actually helped behind the scenes

Still really digging the show. I already like it more than any other Trek series I've watched. My friend who's a big DS9 nerd is coming over tonight, so I might be watching more later.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

discoukulele posted:

s01e05 – Babel
  • Poor O’Brien
  • I haven’t mentioned it before, but the set design is a lot more interesting than TNG. TNG always seemed like it was just the bridge, a hall, and a room or two
  • I don’t think I ever realized that the food is just replicated. So you really could just make it at home.
  • Oh poo poo, first signs of some Babel shenanigans
  • I bet the moral of the story is that the crew needs to learn how to communicate :v:
  • the most unrealistic part of this episode is that everyone believes in the virus :colbert:
  • the device that introduced the virus is Cardassian tech
  • I’m really curious, what does Quark take for payment? I thought I remembered from TNG that the Federation at large doesn’t really use currency anymore
  • It’s actually probably a Bajoran scheme from when DS9 was built
  • The creator of the virus is dead, but his assistant is still around
  • Jaheel tries to escape, might accidentally blow up while attached to DS9
  • Kira just doing straight-up biological assault on the medical director
  • and Quark to the rescue!

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Lmao :perfect:

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s01e06 - Q-Less
  • It's Q!
  • I'm always paranoid now that literally any prop could be Odo
  • Ferenie ear job
  • Q is an incredibly abusive ex
  • Lmao at Vash's failed attempt being an auctioneer
  • Did they forget to put Dad's dots on her face for this scene on the bridge?
  • So the antique was an embryo that fled into the wormhole

s01e07 - Dax
  • Dax gets kidnapped. Bashir tries to save her but throws himself into a wall
  • Dax killed a guy and is a traitor allegedly
  • Technically the last Dax may have done it so there's a bunch of legalese
  • And of course Bashir gets owned in his testimony
  • My friend and I love the cranky judge
  • Omg it was the wife lol
  • And Dax has been protecting her. They'd had an affair.
  • anyways, i do love the depth we've gotten with Dax this episode and with Trill lore

s01e08 - The Passenger
  • Bashir and Mira follow an sos to a damaged ship. They were transporting a prisoner.
  • "But in the one with the racktejino machine" lmao
  • Theres a Kobliad plot!
  • Vantika just hacked DS9
  • Odo attempted to resign
  • and now we're playing a game of werewolf/mafia
  • Bashir's actor is just so unbelievable as evil for me lmao
  • Omg and his struggle to turn off the shields lmao
  • And Vantika's consciousness gets imprisoned
  • And everyone's okay with witnessing an extrajudicial a murder

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

discoukulele posted:

• Poor O’Brien

:mmmhmm:

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s01e09 - Move Along Home

Watched this one with my friend last night, so I wasn't really actively taking notes. LOL'd hard at the Wadi making a beeline for Quark at the beginning. The rest of it was so cheesy (the hop scotch puzzle :wtc:), but whatever, it was fun. Dax's dots continue to be inconsistent. Speaking of Dax, I love that the Wadi were like "oh, no one was ever actually in danger" even though Dax almost broke her leg.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

discoukulele posted:

s01e09 - Move Along Home

Watched this one with my friend last night, so I wasn't really actively taking notes. LOL'd hard at the Wadi making a beeline for Quark at the beginning. The rest of it was so cheesy (the hop scotch puzzle :wtc:), but whatever, it was fun. Dax's dots continue to be inconsistent. Speaking of Dax, I love that the Wadi were like "oh, no one was ever actually in danger" even though Dax almost broke her leg.

Its generally considered one of the worst episodes in DS9 but I disagree, the cast has fun with it and Avery Brooks in the hop scotch scene is to into it to not feel some joy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Move Along Home is one of those 'bad but loving hilarious' episodes by most consensus. Also do love how Sisko gets into it and you can definitely tell he's a dad.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

discoukulele posted:

• Poor O’Brien

Evergreen post.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s01e11 - The Nagus
  • the fire caverns sound more interesting to me tbqh
  • The Grand Nagus has arrived for some reason
  • lmao O’Brien has to be a sub
  • Gonna be a Ferengi business conference to discuss the Gamma quadrant in Quark’s bar
  • “I’m stupid? You’re the one not going to school!” :iceburn:
  • Quark got selected to be the new Grand Nagus
  • Nog and James have friendship issues
  • Quark survives an assassination attempt
  • aw James helps Nog study
  • Quark almost gets spaced
  • So Nagus didn’t actually die and this was all a test for his son :rolleyes:

s01e12 - Vortex
  • so Quark’s looking for a buyer for a faberge egg
  • and luckily Odo was hidden in plain sight
  • One of the dudes who was locked up after the botched business deal claims to know other Changelings
  • So weird dude was lying the whole time about knowing anything about Changelings, it was all a plot to rescue his daughter
  • And now his daughter is being forced on Odo
  • Oh nm, she’s getting shipped off to Vulcan. Dodged that bullet.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Sorry I've been away for a bit; I got sick and had life stuff happen, but I'm still very much invested in this show, so let's get to it.

S01e13 – Battle Lines
  • It's the return of the Kai!
  • more prophecy talk, foreshadowing about the wormhole
  • Opaka gives O'Brien some sort of religiously-significant jewelry for his daughter
  • the team goes through the wormhole. Opaka is testing a prophecy.
  • they get shot down by a satellite
  • uh, was not expecting Opaka to get killed off so fast
  • and that could lead to a diplomatic crisis, obvioussly
  • The meet the leader of the Ennis. They're at war with the Nol-Ennis. This is some kind of penal colony.
  • Opaka the White!
  • Something biomechanical happened to her
  • Everyone else who died in this shootout seems to come back. Apparently that happens all the time and it's part of their punishment.
  • Sisko tries to get the two sides to agree to a ceasefire and then he'll help everyone escape the planet.
  • Kira has to confront her own violent nature and Bajor needs to learn peace
  • and peace talks go about as you'd expect
  • People who come back become dependent on the microbes so no one who has died can leave
  • Opaka has been prophesied to come here to help the two sides heal
  • Opaka says she'll cross paths with Sisko again.

S01e14 – The Storyteller
  • Sisko is hosting negotiations between the Paqu and Navot as O'brien and Bashir head off on an odd couple journey to address a medical issue in a village on Bajor
  • and of course Nog has eyes for the Paqu Tetrarch
  • The Sirah is dying and he's the only person who can protect the village from the Dal'Rok
  • So the Dal'Rok is some kind of smoke monster
  • The Sirah collapses and the Dal'Rok attacks, so it's not just some sort of psychodrama ritual like I suspected (unless it is? idk)
  • O'Brien takes part in the whole ritual and the village is safe for another year. Then the Sirah collapses for real. The village names O'Brien the new Sirah.
  • lmao and lil' Sisko and Nog are fighting over the Tetrarch
  • Pog pretends to murder Odo (it's oatmeal). Odo walks in and it's awkward af.
  • The Sirah's apprentice tries to assassinate O'Brien since he's an imposter. He exlains that this is all psychodrama (duh!) performed with smoke and mirrors.
  • O'Brien does his little storytelling ritual. The apprentice steps in and claims his title.

e: also, I was trying to think about how I'd rank the characters at this point, and really I like everyone so far. My friend who's really into the show says that everyone changes by the end, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the personal arcs that are going to develop.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 7, 2022

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

discoukulele posted:

e: also, I was trying to think about how I'd rank the characters at this point, and really I like everyone so far. My friend who's really into the show says that everyone changes by the end, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the personal arcs that are going to develop.
DS9 is the only show I can think of where I sincerely like all of the main characters. There's literally nobody I don't like in there and that's rare.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Woebin posted:

DS9 is the only show I can think of where I sincerely like all of the main characters. There's literally nobody I don't like in there and that's rare.

Even the characters you're supposed to hate are likeable.

Battle Lines always struck me as basically Hell as a team deathmatch server gone bad. Also pondering considering later episodes; they're in the Gamma Quadrant, did make me wonder if the particularly poetic and sadistic punishment for two groups who just won't behave might be the Dominion's work, or maybe just a rather poor but amusing allegory for what things like the Yugoslav wars look like from the perspective of Western media with no comprehension or knowledge of the history involved.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

DS9 is the one where the actors' real names sound more sci-fi than their characters' names do.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
My laptop died on me so I had issues being able to type up notes, but now that they're resolved, I'm transcribing my handwritten ones and I'm about to fire up the season 1 finale. So there'll be a megapost incoming.

Hell yeah, lets wrap this season up.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s01e15 - In Progress
So, my laptop died while I had my notes for this in a text file. But I remember liking it. Basically Kira connects with a holdout on one of Bajor’s moons that’s getting imminent domained for energy and Jake and Nog did capitalism.

s01e16 - If Wishes Were Horses
  • “all of these hu-mahns coming aboard”
  • Quark wats to expand his holo services into more family-friendly stuff
  • lmao and Rumplestiltskin just showed up
  • lmao and a Sportsman followed Jake home while a clearly holo-Dax shows up
  • apparently this is all due to plasma blah blah blah
  • this has happened before and it was a harbinger of dooooooom
  • and the trick is to just not believe in it

s01e17 - The Foresaken
  • DS9 is getting visited by ambassadors and Bashir got put in charge of keeping them out of Sisko’s hair
  • OH MY GOD IT’S LWAXANA TROI! I love her so much. She’s like my star trek gay icon.
  • A probe comes through the wormhole
  • This scene with Lwaxana and Odo lmfao
  • and now they’re stuck in a lift together, gently caress yesss
  • the program from the probe seems to be affecting the computer’s demeanor and is probably causing all of these issues
  • aaaahahah (four hours later) “but enough about me”.
  • Aw we finally get a little more of Odo’s backstory
  • lmao they just reused the “fired comin at ya” effect from the last episode
  • Aw, Odo and Lwaxana’s storyline ended up being really sweet

s01e18 - Dramatis Personae
  • So the Valerians are moving through DS9, Kira has problems with that because they supplied weapons to the Cardassians. Of course she gets shot down and I feel like one day that’s going to bite everyone in the rear end.
  • A Klingon shows up briefly after his ship blows up after coming through the wormhole
  • Odo has a Havana Syndrome moment and loses some of his memory
  • Tensions rising between the Federation and Bajor
  • So I’m assuming all of this might have to do with whatever the Klingons were looking for because everyone’s being really OTT right now
  • Odo knows what’s up.
  • so yeah, the Kingons brought back an energy matrix that causes people to play out the downfall of an ancient race

s01e19 - Duet
  • A Cardassian shows up in medical with Kalla-ora, which may link him to a labor camp
  • He was a filing clerk at the camp
  • I haven’t mentioned this before but the way that Sisko always turns his head hard to the right to talk into his transmitter isn’t very ergonomic
  • Oh poo poo, the Cardassian is actually Gul Darhe’el, “The Butcher of Gallitep”
  • but wait, no he’s not, apparently that guy is dead and this guy had facial alteration surgery.
  • lmao I love this actor’s “oh gently caress I’ve been caught” inflection
  • So he really was the clerk who was powerless to intervene and this was all a ploy to get punished for his role and bring the truth about Gallitep to light
  • he gets shanked by a Bajoran and Kira has a “not all Cardassians are evil” character moment.

s01e20 - In The Hands of the Prophets
  • Vedek Winn shows up in Keiko’s class and accuses her of blasphemy for not teaching the Bajoran spiritual explanation for the wormhole
  • Vedek Winn is from an orthodox order and might be next in line for Kai
  • Apparently the Prophets are upset with Keiko and there’s lowkey threads about what might happen if she doesn’t recant
  • Ensign Aquino went missing and probably melted
  • Keiko responds to the situation by teaching about Galileo
  • The Bajorans appear to be staging a sick-out over the whole ordeal
  • Aquino was actually shot somewhere else.
  • more members of the orthodox order show up
  • oh gently caress the school got bombed
  • Vedek Winn orchestrated a plot for Neela to assassinate Bareil (another person in line for Kai) and all of the school stuff was an attempt to get him in the right place, but the DS9 crew doesn’t have enough evidence to prove a link with Winn.

I've really enjoyed the first season overall. It did start to drag a bit in the way that first seasons tend to. But I didn't really feel like any episodes were outright bad. I really enjoyed the finale, though, and I hope to see more of that kind of intrigue in the future.

Definitely stoked for season 2!

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 19, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Noh-Jay Consortium, that's always fun to bring up.

If Wishes Were Horses is a quietly significant one, it's where Sisko gets his iconic baseball. IIRC, the clock he builds in Dramatis Personae also remains on his desk.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I loved the episode where Sisko just gets really into building his clock. Absolute gold.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
lmao I thought the entire clock thing was a byproduct of the energy vortex and I kept waiting for the reveal that it's not a clock but some kind of doomsday orrery :downs:

That's awesome that it carries forward, I'm gonna keep an eye out for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

discoukulele posted:

lmao I thought the entire clock thing was a byproduct of the energy vortex and I kept waiting for the reveal that it's not a clock but some kind of doomsday orrery :downs:

That's awesome that it carries forward, I'm gonna keep an eye out for it.

Pft, that's actually a fair guess. It's kinda tricky to figure out without context that the episode basically has characters possessed by members of the ruling class of a long-gone civilisation basically going full Shakespeare in their plots, schemes and obsessions at the expense of actually dealing with reality, Sisko's 'character' being obsessed with trivial hobbies while ignoring everything going on around him. Dax meanwhile is implied to be a senile elder, though I also like the interpretation that given Odo was iirc immune to it due to his anatomy being completely alien, the dual-brained Trill symbiont meant the effect didn't work quite right and manifested as apparent senility.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dax meanwhile is implied to be a senile elder, though I also like the interpretation that given Odo was iirc immune to it due to his anatomy being completely alien, the dual-brained Trill symbiont meant the effect didn't work quite right and manifested as apparent senility.[/spoiler]

Huh, I never thought of that, and considering the quality of writing, unlike Disco and (hopefully no longer) Picard, I wouldn't be shocked if that was the intent.

Another thing about that episode, (and I am hardly the first to point this out): It would've worked a lot better later on, after the main characters were more established, so their peculiar behaviors would be more at odds with who we know them to be. Or, (and this is something I don't think I've seen anyone mention), they could have made it so the role that each one took on was a sort of perversion or whatnot of who they actually are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Huh, I never thought of that, and considering the quality of writing, unlike Disco and (hopefully no longer) Picard, I wouldn't be shocked if that was the intent.

Another thing about that episode, (and I am hardly the first to point this out): It would've worked a lot better later on, after the main characters were more established, so their peculiar behaviors would be more at odds with who we know them to be. Or, (and this is something I don't think I've seen anyone mention), they could have made it so the role that each one took on was a sort of perversion or whatnot of who they actually are.

Yeah, it's kinda like how one of the first season TNG episodes had the 'everyone gets space drugged' bit which doesn't really work when you barely know the characters as is, but I suppose it just kinda goes with the first season of a Trek show that's still finding its feet and rehashing standard Trek gimmicks.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
for that matter, The Naked Time is only episode 4 of the original series. I guess that makes it a tradition

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

In TOS and TNG the idea was basically stripping away their inhibitions so you get a look at who they are deep down.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Yeah, that definitely threw me as a first timer. I was getting the impression that everyone was becoming twisted, extreme versions of themselves (Kira's anti-Cardassian paranoia, O'Brien's loyalty, etc), so the fact that they were taking on characteristics of specific people from the past went way over my head.

'bout to settle in and start Season 2 this evening :woop:

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 22, 2022

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Very pleased with the lack of nonconsensual alien pregnancy in this season 2 opener.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

The Sci-Fi Wi-Fi > Star Trek: The best series is the one with a lack of nonconsensual alien pregnancy

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s02e01 – The Homecoming
  • Quark helps Odo crack a smuggling ring
  • Quark meets with a Boslec captain who got a Bajoran earring from a Cardassian to deliver to Bajor. Quark gives it to Kira.
  • The earring belongs to Li Nalas, resistance leader and POW on Cardassia IV
  • Bajor is falling into factional fighting
  • The Alliance for Global Unity, aka The Circle, a Bajoran extremist group, is leaving graffiti on DS9
  • Kira and O’Brien discover that there are dozens of Bajoran POWs (there weren’t supposed to be any more). A prison breakout ensures, they rescue Li Nalas, the Cardassians apologize.
  • Minister Jaro shows up. Kira gets reprimanded for almost causing a war.
  • Quark gets assaulted by members of The Circle
  • Li Nalas tries to sneak off. His story is all a myth and he doesn’t want to be a leader. He becomes the new Bajoran liaison and Kira is dismissed and recalled to Bajor.

s02e02 – The Circle
  • The Circle attacked a minister, Li Nalas is actually on DS9 for his own safety
  • Sisko gets Circle graffiti on his door
  • I love this scene with Kira and Odo. And now the whole gang is here!
  • Li is a Navarch who answers to the Prophets
  • Kira goes to Bareil’s monastery which houses the 3rd orb (Prophecy & Change). She has an orb vision.
  • Quark leanrs that the Circle is heavily armed and getting supplies from the Kressari. Quark and Odo officially team up.
  • A Bajoran coup’s a-brewin’
  • Vedek Winn shows up at the monastery. Having grown up Southern Baptist in Texas, I know this woman. She’s got strong “bless your heart” energy.
  • Kira gets kidnapped by the Circle
  • The Cardassian’s are actually behind the Kressari
  • Jark and Winn team up & he’s going to make her the new Kai
  • Everyone’s prepping for a fight

s02e03 – The Siege
Didn’t really take notes during this episode because I was too busy watching it. I thought it was masterfully done. I feel like everything’s finally coming together in this show, and all of the principal cast got to have their own moments. Kira’s orb vision from the previous episode got fulfilled. Vedek Winn is going to be leading the investigation into the Cardassian/Kressari shipments to the Circle and I imagine she’s going to handle the evidence like -

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Li Nalais is a favourite minor character of mine for being basically all too aware he was made a hero for what amounted to a lucky accident, he's in over his head, but he's going to try his damndest to do his job anyway, and tries to leverage that undeserved reputation to help with it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Yeah I like him too. Always good to see Benjamin Horn.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

discoukulele posted:

[*] Vedek Winn shows up at the monastery. Having grown up Southern Baptist in Texas, I know this woman. She’s got strong “bless your heart” energy.

If you love to hate her now, you are in for a treat for most of the rest of the series.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If you love to hate her now, you are in for a treat for most of the rest of the series.

lmao gently caress yes

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Can't wait to see your reaction to so many episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Seriously. If you think think the juiciness is ramping up rapidly now, just wait till you get to season 3. :getin:

You'll probably see a lot more people posting replies too. As good as DS9 is out of the gate, there's not really a whole lot to talk about quite yet, relatively speaking. For now it's mostly just, "show is good."

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 23, 2022