Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

rotor posted:

bring back the 12" powerbook imo

this is correct

13-14" is fine but not ideal

work gave me a 15" precision and its too drat big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got a big laptop b/c i have an ipad for the plane

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the IT head asked me like six months ago whether I wanted a 13" i5 laptop or a 15" i7 laptop and I was the only tech guy to ask for the 13" i5 because I don't plan on ever using the loving thing when I still have a three-year-old i7 desktop at the office that I remote into and an M1 macbook air that's faster than the 15" i7

plus this way there's never a work device that's on my network

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Work gave me a 17" zbook as a workstation replacement OP which is fine, except in exchange they took the ultralight my team used to have for travel.

Nobody involved in this decision has ever tried to fly with a 17" laptop or seen the reality of finding somewhere to use one at a race track.

*E* Also it has an octa-core Xeon in it so the battery life can charitably be described as poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just got an X1 Yoga which is 14", the Gen6 and not the new one because I ordered it in October lol.

It's a nice size for getting stuff done, full size keyboard and a display that's readable at 1920x1200. A bit too big to use as an actual tablet, but really for making notes or diagrams it's about perfect. If I still traveled, 12" is even nicer. Miss my X32 :allears:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have an old x201 bopping around and man i wish it was faster cause it's so nice, but it drags a bit these days. that keyboard

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I miss palmtop computers. smartphones just aren’t the same.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Silver Alicorn posted:

I miss palmtop computers. smartphones just aren’t the same.

its because they dont have keyboards

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I know right!! I’d give my nuts away for a sharp zaurus clamshell with like an IPS screen, integrated WiFi/5G and modern software

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

rotor posted:

i was at an old job and one of the guys kept getting lost in the IT system and passed over for a new laptop for like 18 months and finally a VP wrote an angry email to IT telling them to get him "the best" laptop and they panicked and just bought him the most expensive one, which was one of those comedy lenovo 17" laptops with the little slide out monitor and the guy was just like :negative: cause what's he gonna do other than just fuckin live with it?

there are so many ways to take 'the best' that I'd have loved to be in IT for that. I'd have spent a whole afternoon just looking for the biggest way to waste money on some excessively expensive laptop that it's just ridiculous. Like a dual quatro wielding lappy with a bunch of m.2 slots packed for something like data processing jobs would absolutely make me so happy to charge the company for.

Something like 'most useful' would be such a better choice of words.

For the topic. I've liked a couple 15 inch laptops, but smaller and I think it is a personal bother of mine to have them not be able to be set on my lap without holding my legs closer than I want. I do most stuff on a 17 that's almost always on a desk with room for extra stuff unless I'll be in a car for hours and then it sits on my lap and I can recline a bit and clack away.

rotor posted:

After my Droid2 I really was annoyed for a long time about not having the slide out keyboard. even thumb typing real keys is better than touchscreen in my opinion. I just wish I could get that phone to work and put Arch on it and I'd carry it around all day wifi'd to my current phone and do most stuff from it.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

15" is too big, 13" is too small, a nice girthy 14" is just right

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i told IT i needed a new linux laptop. they presented no options and promptly ordered a surface laptop, which (a) exists!? and (b) won't run linux without a custom kernel compile.

gj IT.

thankfully it has now been replaced with a thinkpad

lmbo

yeah, there's the surface pro tablets, the surface books, and the surface laptops. the firmware on those drat things is a loving disaster. a small subset of our users have surface devices (management fuckin' loves them) and we get far more complaints about weird buggy behavior on those than on the multitude of dell laptops and desktops we have. it's (almost) never bad enough that they get fed up and say "gently caress this, give me something else" but it's still a pain in the butt having to tell them to hold power and volume long enough to do a hard reboot or some such poo poo.

also had at least two surface pros develop a fatal firmware problem that rendered the device totally unbootable, even to usb.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

Good news! You can get an Astro or Cosmo

Someone should...

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i have an xps 13 for work and its okay but the screen is a little too small
a 15" is like carrying around a shipping barge under your arm
the 14" thinkpad from 2014 that refuses to die is just right

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

14” crew hell yeah.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
14 inches is the correct size for a laptop computer.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dioxazine posted:

still out of stock :negative:

i keep wishing I got the pro when I had the chance :sigh:

personally I'd get a 14", but work gave be a 16" intel mbp and it's a nice work machine. it's almost the same physical size as the 2015 mbp

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Agile Vector posted:

i keep wishing I got the pro when I had the chance :sigh:

next time they're available you should snap one up. i use mine all the time for lightweight stuff. i even built the racket language suite on it and it didn't take too long

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like 13, 14 is ok. I like small so if I’m flying or lugging it it’s not gargantuan. it’s going to sit docked somewhere (lid closed sorry Jonny) 90% of its life.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i told IT i needed a new linux laptop. they presented no options and promptly ordered a surface laptop, which (a) exists!? and (b) won't run linux without a custom kernel compile.

gj IT.

thankfully it has now been replaced with a thinkpad

They actually made the correct choice. You were meant to run linux in WSL

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
running windows and then linux on top in whatever dumb container crap that is seems like the worst of both worlds.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Getting a laptop at my new job. Our IT department will only buy Dell and Apple, and won't buy any XPS laptop for some dumb reason. They have to buy "business machines", which means 17" workstation lapfuckers that weigh 7 pounds. Really puts the "table" in "portable".

I tried to push them into getting me an XPS 13, which is the correct laptop for anybody who's not doing an apple.

The said "no exceptions, it's ~*PoLiCy*~." So guess what, now I'm doing an apple.
:negative:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

The said "no exceptions, it's ~*PoLiCy*~." So guess what, now I'm doing an apple.

sounds like your IT department is smarter than you friend

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Poopernickel posted:

Getting a laptop at my new job. Our IT department will only buy Dell and Apple, and won't buy any XPS laptop for some dumb reason. They have to buy "business machines", which means 17" workstation lapfuckers that weigh 7 pounds. Really puts the "table" in "portable".

I tried to push them into getting me an XPS 13, which is the correct laptop for anybody who's not doing an apple.

enjoy your i9 laptop from three years ago

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

just get a 11" ipads professional with the logitech keeb case

fits my needs

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
That's me, the 11" professional

It's my height

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
14" is the right midpoint imo
get yourself a nice 14" Thinkpad

even Apple's come around and is making 14" now

$newjob recently got me a 16" MBP and it hasn't been too bad, since it's basically just on my desk all the time. once I have to start going places again it's gonna be a little unwieldy

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Poopernickel posted:

it is pretty bullshit that dell doesnt make the precision in 13" for people who want a high end machine but dont want the gamer branding

they do come in 15", though. still too big, but they arent all 17"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
does dell do the extended next-business-day warranties on the XPS line? that's a big factor for some IT depts

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm guessing they don't do the precision at 13" b/c it probably gets hard to pack the ten-key onto a 13" laptop

"who uses the ten-key on a laptop?" they're out there and in my last position i had people specifically requesting the dell precision over the surface laptop (eughhh loving surfaces :barf:) because they wanted that ten-key

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

does dell do the extended next-business-day warranties on the XPS line? that's a big factor for some IT depts

yes. in terms of business poo poo the XPS line is slotted in-between latitude and precision, but they all share hardware and design so working on any of them is pretty similar

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Inspirons are ugly and fail the one hand open test

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
The precision 5760 and the XPS 17 are the same device with different part choices. same with the precision 5560 and xps 15.

dell sales weenies get more commission on the precisions so they will steer your purchasing department there

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho it sucks cause no 12th gen chips in the xps or precisions yet

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

inspirons are a little too heavy, as well

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

dioxazine posted:

inspirons are a little too heavy, as well

lift weights.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

the latitude 55x1 and precision 35x0 the same chassis also

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

15 op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

sorry I meant latitudes but I guess inspirons are just as bad, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lattitudes are bad but inspirons are super bad and vostros are basically just plastic slabs you pay money for but do nothing