Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

echinopsis posted:

is usb-c usb-3?

not necessarily! you can totally do usb2 over usb-c. which i found out the hard way a while back lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yeah the apple usb-c cables that came in the box for charging before they were magsafe are all usb2. but of course not even all usb3 usb-c cables can deliver the 140W you need to charge an intel 16". so usb is all hosed forever and – i've said this before and i will continue to scream it until it happens – if we're going to standardise around a single connector and just put whatever through it, it should be a 6.35mm (¼") jack. it's time tested, can carry enough electricity to fry a choir, is obvious when you have multiple rings on there so at least you have a chance of getting the right cable, it's indestructible, there's already a zillion of them, you can insert them from *any* angle, not just 2, they are satisfying, very cyberpunk and cool.

and yes there are lots of devices that are thinner than 6.35mm but guess what there are lots of options

- make them thicker
- make a pop-out panel that opens at an angle
- do a bulge
- use magnets and indents to connect to it on one side only, that would look sick
- make like a sphincter that goes all the way through the device, capturing the ring tip, idk, also would look pretty great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like usb-c is really flexible and useful in a lot of different situations

standardising the connector and nothing else at all was genius really

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

chaosbreather posted:

- make like a sphincter that goes all the way through the device, capturing the ring tip, idk, also would look pretty great

vcr phone charger cleaner

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how the gently caress does USB3 work???

Excuse me, this topic is about USB-C, which is almost completely, but not entirely, separate from USB 3.

E;F,B

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
on one hand, 1/8 - 1/4" connectors are bad because you'll always momentarily short the tip and rings to ground on insertion. On the other, we can easily control power delivery and such these days to hold off on delivering until a little handshake happens

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i choose turtle

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Jonny 290 posted:

usb3 sucks and this is why

dont even start to think that you can splice them up

ofc jonny rejecting the beauty of modern engineering stuffing 5 cables into one standard cable that all aliexpress vendors can make with equal (okay, varying, bur equal on average!) levels of incompetence

computers have been boring for too long. usb c has made things exciting again. sometimes your gadget will catch fire, sometimes not! it's a crazy gamble which!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

ofc jonny rejecting the beauty of modern engineering stuffing 5 cables into one standard cable that all aliexpress vendors can make with equal (okay, varying, bur equal on average!) levels of incompetence

computers have been boring for too long. usb c has made things exciting again. sometimes your gadget will catch fire, sometimes not! it's a crazy gamble which!

i was looking into using usbc for the power brick and connector for a 50 watt speaker at work, and was kinda surprised at how expensive all the associated electronics to make that work are. i asked the ee guy if there were any alternative ics or anything that we could afford, and he said “yeah we could just remove all that junk and just send 50 watts straight out the adapter and that’s way cheaper. but the downside is it will immediately fry anything else that you plug into this adapter, like a phone. your call”

im thinking that type of usbc power adapter probably actually exists out there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

alixpress roulette

fart simpson posted:

im thinking that type of usbc power adapter probably actually exists out there

just put a sticker on it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

usb3 sucks and this is why

after watching a vertistasium video and discovering how power really flows, looking at cables like this kind of confuse me. thinking of signals passing down wires works but is too simplistic

because on some level this is extremely engineered electric field fuckin manipulation. its ... something else wow

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the return of firewire

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Sagebrush posted:

The wackest rear end poo poo to me is that -- if I did the math right -- the individual bits in a 10gbps cable are 3 centimeters apart. A 3 meter cable operating at maximum speed is storing about 1 kilobit of data in a delay line.

you might enjoy this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcJSW7Rprio

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

i just found an article that says my iphone 8 will be able to get ios 16. this makes me happy cause i don't want to buy another iphone until they use usb-c

cool post about usb c

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

is this seriously a normal usbc cable and not some weirdo "usbc compliant" industrial monstrosity?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

you can run that through your fish tank and cosplay an undersea cable

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://twitter.com/tubetimeus/status/1125926941469462528?s=21&t=H9iZVor5qeqz7R0Sru3VXA

more in thread.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
classic move to just put the entirety of usb2 in there on top of everything else

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

you can run that through your fish tank and cosplay an undersea cable

a decent gauge USB 3 cable is probably HO scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

~Coxy posted:

a decent gauge USB 3 cable is probably HO scale

i don't care how decent it is, do not use a USB cable to measure your mom's weight