Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Zaroff posted:

Well that was an ending! Susarro was killed, Petra got away and George, Nico and Bruno stopped the machine.

And nothing else happened after that….

They probably went to the pub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Broken Sword 4 is installed and I thought that I was going to have a horror story with compatibility after reading through some of the common issues with trying to play it on more modern-day machines. The game seems to be working fine, I'll get around to starting it within the next couple of weeks.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's Play: Broken Sword - The Angel Of Death

When a mysterious and beautiful woman rushes into George Stobbart’s office, pleading for help, he cannot know that he will be inextricably drawn into terrifying conspiracy, and a desperate search for a nefarious artifact of great and terrible power. For George, it looks like the world needs saving. Again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Holy cow that comment at 21:42, George!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Holy cow that comment at 21:42, George!

I've just completed a test run for the next update, it seems like stories about horrific deaths are going to be a common theme.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

George and Anna Maria have reached the hotel but they're not out of danger just yet.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

George's anecdotes about his life reminds me of Ellis from L4D2.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A fairly short update, this is the second half of our time in Hotel Alfonso. This game really hasn't aged well, in order to play the game initially without it being a juddering mess I had to change the compatibility as well as adjust a couple of settings in the config files. That seemed to work for the first couple of updates but with this update, the performance level dropped dramatically and I've had to make even more changes to try and smooth things out. I may have to do some more digging around under the hood if things don't improve.

Samovar posted:

George's anecdotes about his life reminds me of Ellis from L4D2.

I don't think that I have ever played this. I remember getting this for free on one of the rare occasions where Steam gave games away.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Juanita don't get all thirsty for George, he's kind of a moron.
Also that cop is going above and beyond the call of duty in being a dickhead, yes officer i'll be sure to leave any kidnap victims to languish when I could help.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I’m kinda impressed Juanita knew to write the door code on the paper rather than something like Help!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

By popular demand posted:

Juanita don't get all thirsty for George, he's kind of a moron.
Also that cop is going above and beyond the call of duty in being a dickhead, yes officer i'll be sure to leave any kidnap victims to languish when I could help.

In other words, a realistic depiction of a NYPD officer?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'd love to know Mr. Alfonso's background and how he has that accent but he still uses words like 'tannoy'.

It does seem like as he's gotten older, George is more cognizant of his own moral failings at least a tiny bit. Not sure if that affected his decision to get out of patent law and into a more honest profession like running a bail bond service (though possibly he's become a criminal defense attorney who offers bail; it's hard to tell).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Zaroff posted:

I’m kinda impressed Juanita knew to write the door code on the paper rather than something like Help!

I'm more impressed she was able to write anything legible with her hands tied beneath her legs like that.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just pushed a dumpster and the game has completely locked up. George is just staring into space, animations are still happening but the controls aren't working at all.

Samovar posted:

I'm more impressed she was able to write anything legible with her hands tied beneath her legs like that.

:eyepop:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Enabling windowed mode was the fix. Turning down the graphics was also mentioned but it didn't do anything, it didn't do anything for the performance issues either.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George goes to see a man about his "Special Salami". I've been suffering from a bad cold this past week and I'm still recovering from it so I will sound a little different in this recording.

I should warn you that we are at a meat packing factory and there is some imagery of dead animals in this game, nothing gory but I know that this is something that some people will still be sensitive about. I also give a vocal warning at some point as there is something else that isn't gory, but some people will still be sensitive about that as well.

Kangra posted:

I'd love to know Mr. Alfonso's background and how he has that accent but he still uses words like 'tannoy'.

It does seem like as he's gotten older, George is more cognizant of his own moral failings at least a tiny bit. Not sure if that affected his decision to get out of patent law and into a more honest profession like running a bail bond service (though possibly he's become a criminal defense attorney who offers bail; it's hard to tell).

Tannoy is still a pretty common term in England, at least where I live. George definitely seems to have calmed down a little, hopefully seeing Nico in the last game made him realise that he had some more growing up to do.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

George finds salami spicy? Jesus, I knew he were from the mid-West, but get a hold of yourself, boy!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

People often find my salami too spicy:heysexy:

I should go see the doctor.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I’m sure there’s an alternate take somewhere where George pushes the cabinet into the bonecrusher, it grinds open the door and the manuscript and precious MP3 player get ground to shreds…

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, so far this game is feeling a lot more Max Payne than Broken Sword to me. But hey, I'm still interested to see where it goes.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This segment was initially going to be very short but I didn't factor in all of the reading time. While George and Anna Maria examine the manuscript more carefully in an attempt to decipher its contents, George also tries to repair his friendship with Virgil. If you want to skip the reading on screen and\or would prefer to read the images in full off screen you can find a link to the pages edited together here: https://imgur.com/a/3sDajOS. I have put timestamps in the description if you want to skip past the reading sections in the video, the end of the first reading segment is around 23:20 and the end of the second is around 27:35.

Samovar posted:

George finds salami spicy? Jesus, I knew he were from the mid-West, but get a hold of yourself, boy!

I know people in England who would find salami too spicy.

People often find my salami too spicy:heysexy:

I should go see the doctor.

Speak to Virgil, he might put in a good word.

Zaroff posted:

I’m sure there’s an alternate take somewhere where George pushes the cabinet into the bonecrusher, it grinds open the door and the manuscript and precious MP3 player get ground to shreds…

I can't remember seeing anything about that but if you can find something I'd be interested.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, so far this game is feeling a lot more Max Payne than Broken Sword to me. But hey, I'm still interested to see where it goes.

I can only remember the first Max Payne so this is a little over my head. Graphics or mechanically?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I can't remember seeing anything about that but if you can find something I'd be interested.

Sorry - that’s just my facetiousness coming out about how lucky George was to push the filing cabinet and have the manuscript nicely fall out to the ground rather than into the grinder :)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

In... What way?!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I can only remember the first Max Payne so this is a little over my head. Graphics or mechanically?
OK, so definitely not in terms of gunplay and bullet time, but the setting and graphics are really standng out to me.
This one so far has been constrained to a gloomy downtown setting at night, tons of browns in the colour pallette, and has a very pulp noir sort of feel - the killer dame bringing trouble behind her into our dingy downtown office, mob thugs chasing us through abandoned slums, dingy hotels, and a mob-run slaughterhouse. Contrast this to the first few games, which had relatively bright and colourful graphics, and plenty of jet-setting between varied locales, ancient temples and cathedrals and the like. I'm sure it'll branch out as we get past the first act, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's also the fact the humor took quite a turn to the morbid.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ok, I get it with THAT explanation. I was scared I was going crazy for a second.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George and Anna Maria visit Istanbul where things are awkward from the very start.

The last update was only a couple of days ago but I'll be busy over the next few days due to the school holidays so I'm not sure when the next update will happen exactly. There was another area where the game has a tendency to lock up but I managed to find a workaround that works about 50% of the time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the second half of George and Anna-Maria's jaunt to Topkapi Palace.

The game was running so badly yesterday that I was starting to panic. The slowdown was the worst that I had seen so far, it was so bad that parts of the game were constantly catching up with other parts of the game. Today? Everything has been running more smoothly than ever!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

This update: some puzzles then :heysexy:
And George didn't even have to crawl in sewage this time!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

And George didn't even have to crawl in sewage this time!

Are you talking about Topkapi or about what happened afterwards?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm just referring to the time (second game?) George had to swim in polluted water to distract a guard dog.
Adventure game protagonists have a tendency to get dirty in the least fun usage of the term.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm just referring to the time (second game?) George had to swim in polluted water to distract a guard dog.
Adventure game protagonists have a tendency to get dirty in the least fun usage of the term.

I was also referring to George getting dirty :heysexy:

...I'll get my coat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeesh, some of the floor textures in that session were more than a bit iffy...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It's the morning after, Anna Maria has slipped into something more comfortable and George has his head up his own arse in the clouds.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Nico! It's one thing to disguise oneself as a Nun, but as an Orthodox Nun?! The traditional church in France would not be impressed...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Nico! It's one thing to disguise oneself as a Nun, but as an Orthodox Nun?! The traditional church in France would not be impressed...

George, I've got a feeling we're not in Paris anymore.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

George and Nico visit Rome in an effort to catch up to Anna Maria and find out that there's a distinct lack of Italian people in the centre of the biggest city in Italy.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I guess all the Italians are having their siesta. In some other dimension.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I guess all the Italians are having their siesta. In some other dimension.

They could all be in the Vatican to witness Il Papa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well that was bizarrely farcical.

What was Anna-Marie doing in Phoenix, George? Clearly it was nun-ya business.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 2, 2022