Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Xander77 posted:

A lot of people (including myself) have fond memories of this series. The art style is still fairly neat.

Here's a challenge though - upon completion of the first game, try to describe either main character without mentioning their nationality and profession.

I think that's common to most adventure game protagonists. An empty vessel for solving puzzles and delivering snark :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I was browsing the local second-hand shop for any cool books, and in a pretty cool coincidence, I found a copy of The Sleeping Dragon for the OG xbox! I grabbed it, and now I'm hoping my old console hasn't given up the ghost in the many years it has spent in various cupboards :D

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

The Voynich Manuscript was the first thing I thought of, when we heard Vernon talk about a manuscript for the first time. I won't say I'm disappointed I was right (I'll reserve that for predicting the ancient key-and-paper puzzle when Nico found the pencil) but it's a bit of a small let-down to see a plot-point coming that far off.

Still, I'm relieved to see that the game is still very much a classic adventure game! I vaguely remember it being described as more of a puzzle platformer back in the day, and that's what kept me away from it. Hopefully my old Xbox is somewhere in my parents' attic, so I can play along :D

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

So the old xbox still works (sorta; the power button is borked), and it's able to read the disc! But my word, the load times are atrocious! From powering the console on, to actually being able to play is at least 5 minutes :stonk:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I've had a busy few weeks, so I'm only just now catching up with the LP, but the block pushing puzzle in this episode was really awful, and was obvious padding. Setting aside the absurdity of George hauling around cubic-meter sized hunks of stone like it's nothing, it's just a bad puzzle! The goat puzzle in BS1 was infamous for its absurdity and obtuseness, but it was still something that required you to engage your brain. This block puzzle? The solution is painfully obvious, and requires nothing of you other than a willingness to waste precious minutes of your life. Urgh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Thanks for the effort, RBD! It's been a blast following you playing these classics :) I've only just started on BS4, but I think I can say already now, that I'll be giving 5's credits video a miss :D