Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

The Grumbles posted:

The maddening thing is, I was here from the start, and still have no idea what's going on.

ever since shadowkeep they've really boosted how much story goes on in the seasonal content

so if the last you played was beyond light/season of hunt, there was three other seasons (chosen, splicer, lost) that (re)introduced characters or had huge huuuuge plot developments.

Like Savathun was heavily set up in season of the Lost, but even that was building off hunt/chosen/splicer. So, no, sure you played at the start but skipping an entire year+ puts you far closer to the 'new player' camp than the veteran camp.

This wouldn't really be a problem if the content was still in the game though, like there's a lot, but you could catch up... but it's not. And that's what's really dumb. And Bungie's insistence on dumping you into cutscenes or missions on load in. I mean that's just aggressively bad and annoying, even for people who never stopped playing!

There's probably story recaps floating around on youtube or reddit or whatever but I'll try to give a cliff notes:

Chosen: The Hive God of War, Xivu Arath invaded the Cabal homeworld off-screen, and kicked the poo poo out of them. Calus' daughter, Caiatl, who is the current Empress, led a fleet of refugees to Earth. Calus and Caiatl hate each other. Due to Cabal politics, she couldn't just ask for an alliance with humanity, but had to demand subjugation- we spend the season kicking the crap out of the militaristic hardliners in ritual conflict until Caiatl has enough justification/power to be able to concede to an alliance with humanity. There were also some psions from a splinter group who tried to assassinate Zavala, but Crow (I'm assuming you know him from Hunt) saved him, though Zavala found out he's reborn Uldren (Crow still doesn't know his history at this point). Caiatl also absolutely bodies on the psions, look up this cutscene she rocks so hard.

Osiris is sus the whole time. We find a derelict Red Legion Cabal vessel that Calus had been running experiments on the Scorn in, trying to find a way to commune with the Darkness. He'd been using the Crown of Sorrow, the Hive artifact from the raid of the same name, and succeeded. Especially relevant to this season (season of the haunted)

Splicer: The Vex put the Last City into a super simulation of endless night, causing a crisis. We contacted Mithraax, an Eliksni who'd been trying to establish a House of Light, allied to humanity and worships the Traveler, for help. In exchange, a community of refugee Eliksni were allowed to establish themselves in the City (in the ruins of the final boss fight from the Scourge of the Past raid). Mithraax is a Splicer, but not the crazy Siva splicers from Rise of Iron- instead he can use technology to interface with the Light, and sends us into the Vex network in a retrowave Tron trip to gently caress them up.

However, Lakshmi-2, leader of the FWC faction, goes on a bit of a racist bender and riles up citizens who aren't happy with Eliksni being in the city and there's some kerfuffles. (She's also influenced by Savathun) Eventually we stop the endless night simulation, but Lakshmi opens a Vex portal into the city, and Saint-14 and Mithraaks are total bros (look up the cutscenes from this season, both this last one and the Eliksni view of Saint-14), and Lakshmi dies hilariously and the other factions gently caress off. Osiris status: mega sussy

Lost: Vanguard and Saint-14 follow Osiris to the Dreaming City, where they and Mara Sov have an intervention for Osiris' sussyness addiction. Except Osiris is actually Savathun! and has been since Beyond Light/Hunt/Sagira's death (look up this cutscene from some amazing mocap). She traps herself in a big crystal (or was it Mara who traps her? can't remember). Anyway she offers a bargain- remove Savathun's worm, and she'll return the real Osiris. Mara plans on doing this, but she'll also try to kill Savathun too, since w/o the worm she'll be mortal.

But she'll need us to find some of her techeuns (tech witches, you guardians call them) to do the ritual, and they were scattered into the ascendant plane when Xivu Arath attacked them. Also, Xivu is officially working with the Pyramid fleet, and is hunting Savathun on its behalf, since Sav betrayed them. Xivu has moved Hive forces into the Solar system, and is having a mega dust up with Caiatl's Cabal, but that's all off screen. Crow has an extended tantrum because nobody will let him talk to Savathun- Osiris was a mentor to him for the past year so finding out it was actually Savathun the whole time is a bit of a headscrew, and also Mara and Petra keep being weird to him. Eventually he does manage to talk to Sav in her crystal time out jail (we also have some talks with her) where she uses the Deepsight power (expanded on in the WQ campaign) to forcefully slam Uldren's memories back into Crow. He understandably freaks out and goes on a sabbatical.

Once we find the Techeuns, the plot stops in its tracks because this season got extended like hell due to Witch Queen being delayed. But! We got the Bungie 30th anniversary (paid) content, which included wacky gameshow adventures with Xur and the Starhorse, and an extended Goonies reference dungeon, and a bunch of Halo (and Marathon) reference weapons and armour. Also we hunted pumpkin headed hive withe Crow's ghost, Glint, in the Halloween event, that was kind of fun.

In the very last week of this six month season, the most critical plot event of the entire year happens, and is only in the game for that one week before going away forever. Anyway the ritual to remove Savathun's worm goes off without a hitch, but when Mara tries to shank Savathun, she teleports away, swapping in Osiris' comatose body. Find out more in the Witch Queen campaign!

Anyway there's also Season of the Risen, which was released with and takes place concurrently with/shortly after Witch Queen. It's still in the game so you can experience it. Then comes season of the Haunted, and the next season will start in like two weeks, but we know nothing about it. All these seasons, and 19 whenever that is, will stick around until the next major expansion, Lightfall, releases sometime in 2023 probably.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hey that’s really helpful, thank you!

I was given an item that seems to let me activate the first season of the WQ era, but I have no idea how to find or activate it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mazerunner, that was an excellent summary. :five:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Somebody help me out here. I have my Candescent armor all glowed up but only one roll good enough to merit a MWK. if I've completed the event and done all the challenges, whats the best way to grind up silver leaves until my armor is perfect?

im ghost-Modding Resilience, Armor focusing Recovery (because it costs the most mod energy), and rerolling in hopes of high Discipline so I can have a "perfect" Warlovk build. Am I doing it right or is there a better avenue?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

Somebody help me out here. I have my Candescent armor all glowed up but only one roll good enough to merit a MWK. if I've completed the event and done all the challenges, whats the best way to grind up silver leaves until my armor is perfect?

im ghost-Modding Resilience, Armor focusing Recovery (because it costs the most mod energy), and rerolling in hopes of high Discipline so I can have a "perfect" Warlovk build. Am I doing it right or is there a better avenue?

I dunno if the witch queen mission checkpoint trick still works, but absent that the fastest way to get leaves is to stumble into an in process final wave altar of sorrows. ~20 when the boss goes down.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Running from public event to public event in LDZ gets you 20 pretty quickly.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I really do not understand why umbrals need to exist, doing anything useful with them is gated behind some other currency. Instead you just have literal pieces of poo poo to clog up you inventory and postmaster.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

I really do not understand why umbrals need to exist, doing anything useful with them is gated behind some other currency. Instead you just have literal pieces of poo poo to clog up you inventory and postmaster.

You can guarantee a seasonal world drop gun for 10 leg shards! This is great.

And if that’s too much of a burden just pop them at the normal cryptarch then bro, you’re literally inventing a problem here

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Running the Fallen S.A.B.E.R strike for the first time yesterday reminded me how cool the Warmind architecture was and now I miss Mars.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

They are good for clogging up your engram inventory so you can so the exotic postmaster trick easily at the end of each season.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Draga posted:

Running the Fallen S.A.B.E.R strike for the first time yesterday reminded me how cool the Warmind architecture was and now I miss Mars.

Rasputin/SIVA are overdue another plot beat, it's up in the air if it's a rasputin/WOTM season coming up or not. Everybody seems to think it's kingsfall but it could go either way imo.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I wish they left that secret room on the way to the boss, that was cool.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Many are saying “King’s Fail” in anticipation of them bringing back the long, overly mechanical raid with the bad gun drops, which also now has champions.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Many are saying “King’s Fail” in anticipation of them bringing back the long, overly mechanical raid with the bad gun drops, which also now has champions.

Having flashbacks to multiple wipes to the Deathsisters because the chosen ball dunker kept falling off the platforming section.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’m actually hoping it’s KF because I think that WotM is already pretty tightly designed and KF would benefit more from some selective editing and updating like they did with VoG

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Maybe clean up Golgoroth a little, seems like everybody had wildly different strategies for him which made it hard to get teams on the same page.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'm going to toss a quick quarter down the wishing well:

It'd be nice if the three different flavors of anti-Champion Enhanced Rounds available did something neat for vanilla purposes, rather than JUST Anti-Barrier with its awesome shield and knight piercing effects; BIGTIME stun and stagger for Unstoppable, and Overload needs to do something like a very angry EMP grenade.

I think that's part of what makes Champions such a curio rather than "Oh, wow, this is neat mechanically!" Anti-Barrier is a SHOE IN selection for my seasonal artifact, but the others are kinda like "Eh, IF I run a dungeon like that I may respec."

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Waffle House posted:

It'd be nice if the three different flavors of anti-Champion Enhanced Rounds available did something neat for vanilla purposes, rather than JUST Anti-Barrier with its awesome shield and knight piercing effects; BIGTIME stun and stagger for Unstoppable, and Overload needs to do something like a very angry EMP grenade.

Overload does actually have universal benefits. Enemies that are affected by overload deal 25% less damage and can’t use certain special abilities.

I think Unstoppable rounds always stagger enemies but I’m not completely sure

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Esoterickk did a whole video on why they tend to use overload rounds even outside of champ content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b3cPqSTgsU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
At one point overload prevented the spores in Presage from activating, which I discovered after sitting there shooting it for 30 seconds straight. So they technically do something to non champions.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Champions get a lot more bearable when you get artifice arms and equip all 3 mods at once and then it's just picking weapons which you would be doing anyway

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have found hitting any champ with Lament til they die to work very well.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The champ mods have applications outside of champion specific content and even (used to/still do) interact in PVP spaces.

Barrier let's you ignore hyrda and knight shields and a few other things.

Overload is a mini suppressor and like something else.

I think both interacted with titan barricade at one point. Not sure if they still do.

Like I specifically recall running glassway back in the day and slapping barrier on just to ignore those giant shields.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I miss Season of Energy Accelerant. Completely ignoring champ mechanics and deleting them entirely with a single Crownsplitter heavy attack was the best :allears:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

You can guarantee a seasonal world drop gun for 10 leg shards! This is great.

And if that’s too much of a burden just pop them at the normal cryptarch then bro, you’re literally inventing a problem here
Oh boy, seasonal world drops that I'll just turn back into shards or shove into my bank to turn into shards later! Having to go to either is a nuisance as they clog up my inventory and cause my postmaster to fill up with more stupid bullshit I don't care about. Like legendary engrams for no good reason.

Like, I am definitely being a bit weird, but I find everything about managing loot in this game so incredibly tiresome. My inventory is constantly filling up, my post master is constantly filling up, my bank is constantly filling up, I feel like I should be caring about rolls and stats, but it all feels annoying because it doesn't feel like there's definitive answers to what I should actually be keeping. It feels like everything about the game's UI makes this process as annoying as possible.

I just want to shoot stuff and make numbers go up. Crafted guns are a good idea the honestly do still need improvements, but it's kind of hosed that not everything is a crafted gun so I can stop worry about throwing away the wrong copy.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have found hitting any champ with Lament til they die to work very well.

to be fair this works with most things

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wrath of the Machine is the perfect raid just for the Siege Engine, or "Death Zamboni" as we guardians call it

Fallen raids are inherently the best because they're a breath of fresh air from the constant "eternal space gods seek to unweave us from the chrono-ontological fabric of reality!!!" threats we face. Every Fallen raid is just us banging some pots and pans together as we shoo them out of our dumpsters before they find any cool gear. Get outta here you, GIT, GITTT!! *bang clang clang*

After killing a BDSM Daddy we literally run through the inside of the Last City wall, emerging on top to realize the Fallen have built a mobile artillery machine that uses the Wall as a railway

It comes to life, belching flames and lightning bolts as it tries to run us down in a nightmare mashup of North by Northwest and Mad Max Fury Road

We blow it up so hard that the Fallen have to air drop replacement parts and a fresh new nuclear warhead

Realizing the only way to take this thing out permanently is to power it up and drive it right off the wall, we ctrl-z the damage by carrying the parts back to the zamboni

The Fallen get wise and they flip to page 1, first sentence of the Eliksni Guide to Warfare - Airdrop a TANK on the problem

Menacingly labeled a "Perfected" Walker, we peel the legs and cut the neck off that bitch and bring our zamboni parts home

We board the ship, find Captain Meksis and tell him to gently caress off with our Exotic Swords (on loan from Shaxx). We are the captains now.

Let's not overlook that Meksis was originally supposed to be standing proudly atop the Zamboni, blaring away on a flaming double-necked guitar

Our work complete, we pilot the Siege Engine along the wall, mowing down any remaining Fallen, bursting through the end of their artillery railway, jumping to safety, and watching from below as the Siege Engine topples into the sea, never to be seen again (???????)

They even felt the need to give us LOOT for doing this!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

Oh boy, seasonal world drops that I'll just turn back into shards or shove into my bank to turn into shards later! Having to go to either is a nuisance as they clog up my inventory and cause my postmaster to fill up with more stupid bullshit I don't care about. Like legendary engrams for no good reason.

Like, I am definitely being a bit weird, but I find everything about managing loot in this game so incredibly tiresome. My inventory is constantly filling up, my post master is constantly filling up, my bank is constantly filling up, I feel like I should be caring about rolls and stats, but it all feels annoying because it doesn't feel like there's definitive answers to what I should actually be keeping. It feels like everything about the game's UI makes this process as annoying as possible.

I just want to shoot stuff and make numbers go up. Crafted guns are a good idea the honestly do still need improvements, but it's kind of hosed that not everything is a crafted gun so I can stop worry about throwing away the wrong copy.

Maybe just let it go to the postmaster, overflow, and constantly be deleting itself? If you don't care about getting new drops just let the auto-dismantle system do its thing!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

I mean this in the nicest possible way: bro play a different game

Destiny is forever limited by the idea of the 9 on character slots, the vault, and the postmaster

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Maybe just let it go to the postmaster, overflow, and constantly be deleting itself? If you don't care about getting new drops just let the auto-dismantle system do its thing!

Or this, but this is kinda big “spouse to a future divorcee” energy, acting like you’re accepting the inherent flaws when in reality they are unbearable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just wish they'd fix the thing where if your engrams are full then non-engram drops go to the postmaster instead of inventory even if you have open slots

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

haveblue posted:

I just wish they'd fix the thing where if your engrams are full then non-engram drops go to the postmaster instead of inventory even if you have open slots

I've noticed that, legendary drops that are not even engrams act like engrams when the engrams are full which is weird.
I usually just go straight to Rahool and decrypt the lot, it's no biggie.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I think it's time for another breach loading grenade launcher season bungo pls. We all have wave frames now which used to be hella rare and they're even Craftable and super accessible to even the newest of New lights and we have a stasis one and good kinetic options from the 30th anniversary and the solar one is dropping like hotcakes from strikes. The only rare grenade launcher anymore is like that void one ( or I haven't Googled how to farm it)

Please give us another season of the grenade launcher so I can run around with grenade Launchers in all 3 slots.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only void GLs available right now are Orewing's Maul (Iron Banner) and Truthteller (world drop)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Those arent Sunset, but they aren't really available, either. Orewing is out of rotation (and IB is not active), and Truthteller is only available from Xur or Dares of Eternity + Paraversal Haul

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Bust Rodd posted:

I watched several videos on it and saw some conflicting advice. Some were saying to pick two stats in one bracket, ghost mod roll one, spark the other, and hope for a spike in the stat you want from the other bracket.

Others said to roll a stat from one bracket, spark a stat from the other bracket, and hope for a favorable spike.

I want class stat and resilience on top and discipline on bottom so I've just been rolling and sparking various combinations of those three stats across many pieces and i figure that once i'm done I'll use one of those third party services and hope there's a combo in there that will get me to 100/100/80 or better.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Overload does actually have universal benefits. Enemies that are affected by overload deal 25% less damage and can’t use certain special abilities.

I think Unstoppable rounds always stagger enemies but I’m not completely sure

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Esoterickk did a whole video on why they tend to use overload rounds even outside of champ content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b3cPqSTgsU

*fumbles pocket for another quarter and thumbs it into the wishing well*

If it required a YouTuber's explanation to illustrate the benefits, then the game feature may not "feel" to players like it's intrinsically desirable enough at face value to achieve simple mass acknowledgement of benefit, like you have with Anti-Barrier. I hate neat features feeling under-serving, too, like I really do enjoy the fact that I can tune my guns in any ballistic direction I please, it just doesn't feel like I have as much incentive to pursue these as I do anti-barrier rounds.

I'm going to pie in the sky some quick stupid loving obstreperous Waffle House fanboy bullshit that hopefully isn't too bold of me. These all presume the benefits are being delivered via seasonal artifact:

Unstoppable:
* Reminds me of High Caliber Rounds rounds. Obviously this is for large, armored, plodding targets like Colossi, Ogres, Brigs, and Minotaurs.
- Stagger is obviously the name of the game here, especially on large enemies, which canonically it feels like what this spec is for. I like that, and it would even work on smaller enemies.
- It probably already does work this way, but it feels like anything with Unstoppable should enjoy Major and Boss Spec boons. It sounds flavorful to make it stack with the actual weapon mod, too.
- Small impact++ benefit for weapons governed by this perk from your seasonal artifact. (unless this becomes more popular than just via artifact!)
- Flinch++ benefit, HCR style for any weapons governed by this perk from your seasonal artifact. (unless this becomes more popular than just via artifact!) This would be neat and encourage its use in Crucible, albeit at a reduced rate?
- Should be able to stun lock big and little things alike with enough concentrated fire, for certain boss enemies this might be very necessary to keep them restrained, lest they cast a wipe spell.

Overload:
* This almost reminds me of an EMP round, from the sound of it. They are clearly for suppression, rather than have piercing or staggering effects.
- Tractor Cannon-esque suppression effects?
- I do like its -25% damage debuff effects, I did not realize that was a boon. For canon purposes it may be prudent to note whether these are "+p" (overpressure ammunition) kind of overloaded or "+light/elemental" overloaded, either of those work for purposes of name-nuance dynamics.
- It would be awesome if this were more universally applicable, and were more innately obvious the KIND of attacks it prevented; I think there's something to be said that it isn't as simple as "prevents ranged attacks except basic, i.e. wizards can still shoot anal lightning at you, but can't Choking Cloud you" for example. There should be a glow effect applied, akin to the Finisher eligibility glow, that indicates that the target is Overloaded to this effect.
- I almost want to say this one is too bold, but if it prevents certain attacks from triggering, that might be useful for negating certain challenging moments in raids or vs. bosses if the fireteam or guardian hits a certain "hit saturation." Certain bosses might REQUIRE this kind of suppression as well, or else they launch a guaranteed wipe; so strong they HAVE to be put down this way or else you're on a challenge++ that borders on suicidal.

Later it might be neat to simply offer these as an additional weapon perk slot so you could tune per-gun.

** I just thought of this while trying to stretch my imagination, and it's pretty niche, but it would be neat if Lumina's rounds made it so you could walk safely across certain hazards if you aimed it at the floor, like putting a jacket down so you could cross over a puddle.

I am very much enjoying applying for Bungie careers still, a friend who works at Blizzard noticed their hiring page exploding, although Austin is pretty far away from the Sound...

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Waffle House posted:

I am very much enjoying applying for Bungie careers still, a friend who works at Blizzard noticed their hiring page exploding, although Austin is pretty far away from the Sound...

I doubt Bungie is planning on expanding their workforce on Destiny much, probably those are all going towards the like four other games they have in development right now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I'd be surprised if they aren't hiring for Destiny still, they admitted a couple of years ago that the team post-split was far too small and came under ridiculous pressure for shadowkeep and BL

They got a lot of Netease money (100m) in 2019 and now 3.7b from Sony. They're absolutely using that money to expand Destiny dev on top of their unannounced projects

Considerable amount of openings for Destiny dev here, those positions will likely take multiple applicants each https://careers.bungie.com/jobs

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Pirate Jet posted:

I doubt Bungie is planning on expanding their workforce on Destiny much, probably those are all going towards the like four other games they have in development right now.

It's difficult for me to imagine actually being interviewed with my relevant experience, but the prospect, passions afoot, and implied company tickles me enough to keep trying. If they have *more* games they're working on, I'm interested to see what they're doing.