Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
It’s the state departments passport. It just has your picture in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The Stamp completionist suicide run

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiny Timbs posted:

i can't believe nobody wants to option my script for "An American Pedophile"

Keep the title but rework it into a song parody that'd probably annoy the hell out of Green Day.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Keep the title but rework it into a song parody that'd probably annoy the hell out of Green Day.

It’s the same song though?

It works with either title.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PurpleXVI posted:

https://x.com/wartranslated/status/1797960025266098565

This seems highly dubious, especially considering the source(as in Russia, not as in the Wartranslated account that seems generally pretty rigorous in proving what it posts), and probably a bit unethical if true, but deeply funny if they're phone scamming Russians to fund their defense against Russia's war.

hello yes your ukraine draft notice is here.

am i going to the front??

no, you are going to a call center!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PurpleXVI posted:

https://x.com/wartranslated/status/1797960025266098565

This seems highly dubious, especially considering the source(as in Russia, not as in the Wartranslated account that seems generally pretty rigorous in proving what it posts), and probably a bit unethical if true, but deeply funny if they're phone scamming Russians to fund their defense against Russia's war.

"We're calling you about your tankie's extended warranty."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.ft.com/content/f7a34e3e-bce9-4db9-ac49-a092f382c526

quote:

Russia-China gas pipeline deal stalls over Beijing’s price demands

Power of Siberia 2 project would offer lifeline to exporter Gazprom as Moscow’s dependence on its neighbour grows

The people familiar with the matter said China had asked to pay close to Russia’s heavily subsidised domestic prices and would only commit to buying a small fraction of the pipeline’s planned annual capacity of 50bn cubic metres of gas.

Approval for the pipeline would transform the dire fortunes of Gazprom, Russia’s state gas export monopoly, by linking the Chinese market to gasfields in western Russia that once supplied Europe.

Gazprom suffered a loss of Rbs629bn ($6.9bn) last year, its biggest in at least a quarter of a century, amid plummeting gas sales to Europe, which has had greater success than expected in diversifying away from Russian energy.

Russia’s failure to secure the deal underscores how the war in Ukraine has made China the senior partner in the countries’ relationship, according to Alexander Gabuev, director of the Carnegie Russia Eurasia Center in Berlin.

“China could need Russian gas strategically as a secure source of supply not based on maritime routes that would be affected in case of a maritime conflict around Taiwan or the South China Sea,” Gabuev said. “But to make that worthwhile, China really needs a very cheap price and flexible obligations.”

China’s demand for imported gas is expected to reach about 250 bcm by 2030, up from less than 170 bcm in 2023, according to a paper published by Columbia’s CGEP in May.

That paper said the 2030 level of demand could still be largely or entirely met through existing contracts for pipeline supply and for liquefied natural gas. However, by 2040, the gap between China’s import demand and existing commitments would reach 150 bcm, it said.

“China believes time’s on its side. It has room to wait to squeeze the best conditions out of the Russians and wait for attention on the China-Russia relationship to move elsewhere,” he said. “The pipeline can be built rather quickly, since the gasfields are already developed. Ultimately the Russians don’t have any other option to market this gas.”

Before the war in Ukraine, Gazprom relied on selling gas to Europe at high prices in order to subsidise Russia’s domestic market.

China already pays Russia less for gas than to its other suppliers, with an average price of $4.4 per million British thermal units, compared with $10 for Myanmar and $5 for Uzbekistan, the CGEP researchers calculated from 2019-21 customs data.

Failure to agree increased supplies to China would be a hefty further blow. An unreleased report by a major Russian bank, seen by the Financial Times, recently excluded Power of Siberia 2 from its baseline forecast for Gazprom. That reduced the company’s expected profit for 2029 — when the bank expected the project to launch — by almost 15 per cent.

Cliff's notes: China's squeezing Russia on gas prices and exports, which is liable to hurt Russia whether they cave to the demands or not, since China's in a position to shrug off the lack of a deal for much longer. Gazprom's loss last year is already close to 2% of Russia's federal budget for 2023 based on the numbers I can find, so not a completely meaningless amount. Probably pinchy for Russia if it gets worse.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Blyatinum Coverage

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Would be a perfect title, if the current one weren’t also perfect.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

quote:

$4.4 per million British thermal units
:pseudo:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

cr0y posted:

Blyatinum Coverage

some forum users have custom platinum icons; posters in this thread should have a custom "Blyatinum User" icon tooltip.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Why not?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bennyfactor posted:

some forum users have custom platinum icons; posters in this thread should have a custom "Blyatinum User" icon tooltip.

Or at least me, anyway

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cost per unit energy is a better way to price gas than by volume (pressure, temperature, and density undefined).
Million BTU is a funny unit though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

B33rChiller posted:

Cost per unit energy is a better way to price gas than by volume (pressure, temperature, and density undefined).
Million BTU is a funny unit though.

One could say it's the ideal way

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How many perfectly spherical frictionless cows per unit of time could an idealized Baltic/Arctic empire move to an eastern Asian nation, assuming a perfectly straight, frictionless pipeline?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

canyoneer posted:

One could say it's the ideal way

Boooooo

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

A.o.D. posted:

How many perfectly spherical frictionless cows per unit of time could an idealized Baltic/Arctic empire move to an eastern Asian nation, assuming a perfectly straight, frictionless pipeline?

Herefords, or Murray Greys?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Fearless posted:

Herefords, or Murray Greys?

Belted Galloways

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A.o.D. posted:

Forty-two.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/f7a34e3e-bce9-4db9-ac49-a092f382c526

Cliff's notes: China's squeezing Russia on gas prices and exports, which is liable to hurt Russia whether they cave to the demands or not, since China's in a position to shrug off the lack of a deal for much longer. Gazprom's loss last year is already close to 2% of Russia's federal budget for 2023 based on the numbers I can find, so not a completely meaningless amount. Probably pinchy for Russia if it gets worse.

China: you can sell to us at a loss and go broke slowly or you can not sell to us and go broke faster.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Realpolitik always sounds great until someone starts getting real with you.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/33837

quote:

Putin promises quid-pro-quo arming of his allies over Western weapons supplied to Ukraine

In a rare video conference with Western journalists, Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday threatened to arm those countries sympathetic to the Kremlin and which were in striking distance of targets in the West, in retaliation for Ukraine’s allies supplying long-range missiles to Kyiv.

“If someone thinks it is possible to supply such weapons to a warzone to attack our territory and create problems for us, why don’t we have the right to supply weapons of the same class to regions of the world where there will be strikes on sensitive facilities of those [Western] countries?” Putin asked.

“That is, the response can be asymmetric,” he continued. “We will think about it.”

On the one hand I'm wondering how much Russia really has left to spare to distribute to its various allies. Secondly this seems like a good way to make the West give Ukraine even more and bigger weapons.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Realpolitik always sounds great until someone starts getting real with you.

Relationship without limits, ladies and gentlemen.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

PurpleXVI posted:

On the one hand I'm wondering how much Russia really has left to spare to distribute to its various allies. Secondly this seems like a good way to make the West give Ukraine even more and bigger weapons.

I mean weapons he gives to other pariah states that are at least somewhat more restrained in their use means fewer weapons being lobbed at Ukraine.

And potentially, those weapons are sold back to Russia in a few years time at a markup.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

A.o.D. posted:

Around 66 billion per year.

quote:

the pipeline’s planned annual capacity of 50bn cubic metres of gas.

quote:

Morphological traits, volume and area were measured or calculated for the 64 Holstein dairy cows (Table 2). Mean (±1 SD) volume and area of cows was 0.76 (±0.07) m3 and 6.84 (±0.45) m2, respectively.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0168169919313456

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/33872

quote:

VIDEO: Drones Destroy Critical Russian Tugboat Near Crimea Coast

Ukraine’s Main Directorate of Intelligence destroyed a critical tugboat the Kremlin needs to move heavy military equipment and supplies from Russia to the Crimean Peninsula.

It's not as flashy as blowing up a warship, but dunking on logistics matters, too. Also has a bit of detail on the ATACMS strike on that port earlier.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

"If you don't stop doing the thing I don't like, I'm going to do the thing I was going to do anyhow."

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bless you, my child, for this gift you have given me. :cheersdoge:

Quote is not edit, damnit.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

quote:

Critical Russian Tugboat

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/33872

It's not as flashy as blowing up a warship, but dunking on logistics matters, too. Also has a bit of detail on the ATACMS strike on that port earlier.

Tug boats are the secret pride of the Russian fleet, few of their remaining capital ships are operational without a few tugs to carry them to battle

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

PurpleXVI posted:

That's a pretty lame threat. Between that and the constant DPRK-style "WE HAVE NUKES" threats that everyone just ignores now, I think Putin is starting to realize that he's running out of options.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jimmy Smuts posted:

That's a pretty lame threat. Between that and the constant DPRK-style "WE HAVE NUKES" threats that everyone just ignores now, I think Putin is starting to realize that he's running out of options.

Its especially lame because the Russian plan is 'If you authorize US made weapons to strike us, we'll strike EU targets."

Go ahead. Do it. Make our day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kmFQmzBwtU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Russian warships headed to Caribbean for drills as tensions rise over Ukraine, US officials say

quote:

The U.S. has been tracking Russian warships and aircraft that are expected to arrive in the Caribbean for a military exercise in the coming weeks, in a Russian show of force as tensions rise over Western military support for Ukraine, U.S. officials said Wednesday.

The ships also are expected possibly to make port calls in Venezuela and Cuba, as Russia establishes a Western Hemisphere military presence that the senior Biden administration officials said was notable but not concerning. The exercise, which will be monitored by the U.S. military, will involve a “handful” of Russian ships and support vessels, the two officials said.

It's not just nuclear power, it's the true global projection of nuclear power!!

quote:

Despite Russia not notifying the U.S. — which countries often do to avoid miscalculation — the officials said militaries all over the globe have the right to conduct exercises in international waters and do so regularly. For example, on Friday about 20 NATO countries including the U.S. will begin BALTOPS 24, a major naval and air exercise in the Baltic region near Russia.

Just ignore the "we own the Baltic" rhetoric being smashed with a sledgehammer while they bring a handful of vessels to the Caribbean for ~reasons~

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Just ignore the "we own the Baltic" rhetoric being smashed with a sledgehammer while they bring a handful of vessels to the Caribbean for ~reasons~

How many of them will sink or get attacked by bears on the way.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Its especially lame because the Russian plan is 'If you authorize US made weapons to strike us, we'll strike EU targets."

Go ahead. Do it. Make our day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kmFQmzBwtU

Like they haven't already been providing weapons overtly or covertly to every authoritarian fuckface on the globe that they think will annoy western nations for the last century or so.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just don't buy that Russia's defence export industry has more than a couple of decades left in it.

Do you live in the Middle East and want free stuff to fight the US? Iran will give you whatver.
Are you India? Yeah okay you are stuck with Russia kit for a while but your strategic aim is to displace that reliance with domestic industry?
China? A little like India but you are at the bit of the curve where domestic designs and industry have almost totally displaced Russia.
Are you Nicholas Maduro or Miguel Bermúdez? You want US sanctions lifted, not missiles.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Like they haven't already been providing weapons overtly or covertly to every authoritarian fuckface on the globe that they think will annoy western nations for the last century or so.

For real. Until they're giving the Houthis ICBMs pre-programmed to hit DC or some poo poo how is this any different from what they're already doing?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alchenar posted:

Are you India? Yeah okay you are stuck with Russia kit for a while but your strategic aim is to displace that reliance with domestic industry?

My understanding is that India's domestic military industries are in constant crisis due to internal corruption and political fuckery so they keep looking to buy foreign in the hopes of actually ending up with any weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cythereal posted:

My understanding is that India's domestic military industries are in constant crisis due to internal corruption and political fuckery so they keep looking to buy foreign in the hopes of actually ending up with any weapons.

India's defense procurement is the only contender in the world that are clown-shoes enough to make Canada's look like sensible loafers.