Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

And to think they were worried about the jumpy trucks screwing up the garden all these years

And to think, we thought it absurd that one of the Porsche Cup cars ended up there yesterday :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

WindyMan posted:

Pagenaud single-handedly cancels the Long Beach Grand Prix by crashing into the fountain flowerbed

Well, it's a good thing Newgarden won since that's just what they're gonna need there.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

HA! I laughed when I saw that during the race, but that makes it even better :xd:

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Went to Long Beach yesterday for my first non Indy 500 race. It was quite civilized compared to the shitshow of Indy. Didn’t see any replays of Herta’s crash, did he just lose control of the car and send it into the wall?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yep just went too deep into turn 9 and understeered into the wall.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

And to think, we thought it absurd that one of the Porsche Cup cars ended up there yesterday :colbert:

I saw that one last night, he wasn't even put there, he just drove straight into it through sheer incompetence.

That entire race in fact made the Ginetta Jrs look smart.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Something is weird with the grip level on the IMS warmup lane, and they are working thru the night to fix it: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...les/7391505001/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The thread is pretty slow when the discord is busy, and it was def busy today with everything. So to everyone, you should definitely get in the discord if you havent already. Its time!!

Watch practice with us tomorrow!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

The thread is pretty slow when the discord is busy, and it was def busy today with everything. So to everyone, you should definitely get in the discord if you havent already. Its time!!

Watch practice with us tomorrow!

the Discord is good, but not everyone checks it, so cross-posting some of the news or notes would also be appreciated :unsmith:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

the Discord is good, but not everyone checks it, so cross-posting some of the news or notes would also be appreciated :unsmith:

This :)

I did see the spin from Power coming out of the pits, that would not have been fun

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pandemic is over. Fast Friday suite confirmed and another one in the works for Carb day. Free days off work since my boss will be there too. :getin: sucks that they don’t do the freedom 100 anymore but I get why.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

That was a pretty fun race! NBC’s coverage isn’t the worst but leaves a bit to be desired. Are most of the thread followers here chatting in discord? Every time I open discord I feel old as poo poo.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah most of the daily chat is on the discord now.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

ScooterMcTiny posted:

That was a pretty fun race! NBC’s coverage isn’t the worst but leaves a bit to be desired. Are most of the thread followers here chatting in discord? Every time I open discord I feel old as poo poo.

Come feel old as poo poo with us! :)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
lmao Lundgaard

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
So the only way to watch Saturday qualifying is on loving Peacock?! gently caress you and die, NBC. Trying to shake everyone down for content that should be on broadcast TV.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Carpenter and Jimmie, oval buds for life

Spent Fast Friday in the DRR suite, which is situated directly behind the pylon. Never had the pleasure before, it was pretty dope. Glad to see my dude Sato lookin fast.

Also, where the discord at?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Reynold posted:

Also, where the discord at?

Discord: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

:tviv:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
I really enjoyed this new qualifying format. And seeing Rick Mears pacing the fast six before the final shootout was freaking cool even if it only was 100mph.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Fastest pole speed, even if it isn't the fastest qualifying run speed

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It appears milk gimp has been purged from YouTube. I'm sure one of you degenerates has it, if so, post it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It appears milk gimp has been purged from YouTube. I'm sure one of you degenerates has it, if so, post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bjovDS6zEs&t=1478s

But, really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fSiHbZK8F8

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So 5 bux to watch the race live in Indy on peacocks

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Elephanthead posted:

So 5 bux to watch the race live in Indy on peacocks

Just bought this, 5 bucks easier than trying to track down a decent pirate stream.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Maybe Indy today will be better than Monaco was (not that it's that difficult)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

AHEM...

Indycar Championship Leader Marcus Ericsson

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my main takeaway from this indy 500 is that peacock sucks rear end

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On one hand, as someone who would need to put up a giant loving external antenna to pick up NBC and refuses to pay for cable TV, $5/mo for Peacock to avoid that for the only thing I can't easily get live any other way is a steal.

On the other hand I would gladly pay more just to never see another ad break.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

:siren: INDY 500 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR CONTROVERSY! :siren:

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/1531635165067464705

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
lmao

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/1531642387570868225?s=20&t=gPONTm3P8K55ysLk7r2YuQ

this is a sampling of retweets on his feed, and there are A LOT, so Jenna isn't wrong here.

https://twitter.com/RealJeffChaney/status/1531401536789676033?s=20&t=oDkwAeoFI3w3vrKoj_6y_g
https://twitter.com/JTayF1/status/1531401410671267840?s=20&t=oDkwAeoFI3w3vrKoj_6y_g
https://twitter.com/Jake_Wilson98/status/1531400212400439296?s=20&t=oDkwAeoFI3w3vrKoj_6y_g

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I've not seen the race itself (because some oval office spoiled me on it) but Malukas finished on the lead lap and Jimmie, who is barely a rookie by any remotely sane measure appears to have hosed it into a wall.

What's even going on here?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

I've not seen the race itself (because some oval office spoiled me on it) but Malukas finished on the lead lap and Jimmie, who is barely a rookie by any remotely sane measure appears to have hosed it into a wall.

What's even going on here?

Rookie of the year isn't based purely on finishing position:

quote:

The award is voted on by a panel of judges, which is composed of selected members of the media, historians, and a handful of other experts. The voting takes place the night of the race (or the morning after), and does not necessarily go to the highest-finishing rookie. Noteworthy accomplishments during qualifying, regardless of the respective race result, have frequently been a factor in voting. A rookie who competitively runs up front during the race, passes many cars, and/or leads laps (but ultimately drops out) can also garner consideration over another rookie who finished higher, but did so merely by surviving attrition. Other contributing attributes can include personal attitude, sportsmanship, professionalism, and interaction with driver coaches, fans, and media.

People melt down every year the award goes to someone other than the highest finishing rookie, like with Alonso.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

your friend wicka posted:

Rookie of the year isn't based purely on finishing position:

People melt down every year the award goes to someone other than the highest finishing rookie, like with Alonso.

Makes sense, though while Malukas didn't really do anything spectacular, I'm still not really sure what Jimmy did that was much better other than starting one position higher, leading two random laps solely due to off-sequence pit stop shenanigans, and then crashing at the end of the race to set up a red flag and GWC finish that almost cost his teammate the win. Maybe it was the latter that gave him the edge? :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reminder about the caliber of driver that was last shafted on ROY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lqHxWKyoJI

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Good sendoff to Belle Isle.

Gee RLLR is pretty bad. Perhaps Takuma Sato wasn't actually the problem Graham.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Frond posted:

Good sendoff to Belle Isle.

Gee RLLR is pretty bad. Perhaps Takuma Sato wasn't actually the problem Graham.

Graham saying it was an "uncharacteristic mistake" was a loud, hearty lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Graham has a real high opinion of himself for someone who's basically Lance Stroll with way more experience.