Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Tenebrais posted:

The Visibomb does put a lot of extra level design pressure on, though. There's a lot of stuff that thing can break.

Oltanis Orbit, for example, where right use of the Visibomb can unlock one of the Gold Bolts very early. I eventually use it to get the Lights Out Skill Point for Oltanis as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

My first two-world video!

Video 11 - Pokitaru, Orxon (2)

COMMENTARY
(29:33) | NO COMMENTARY

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pokitaru was the first level that really got me stuck when I first played this as a kid. It was the way the swarming enemies take two hits that did it. That's why the suck cannon is so effective, it can one-shot them with no ammo limit.
Honestly the whole rest of this act is a step-up in difficulty, though that is at least in part because back then I had come to rely on the Blaster as my main workhorse gun and here is where it starts to drop off in usefulness in favour of explosives.

The reason that infobot chase section is so notorious for speedrunners is because the last several planets are all geared around getting Ratchet onto Orxon - if you can get that infobot as Clank then you can completely skip going to Pokitaru and possibly also Gaspar. If I recall correctly the community managed to get to six of the seven checkpoints, but also found a completely different way to skip the whole section so it's a bit of a moot point now, aside from the glory of solving it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

The reason that infobot chase section is so notorious for speedrunners is because the last several planets are all geared around getting Ratchet onto Orxon - if you can get that infobot as Clank then you can completely skip going to Pokitaru and possibly also Gaspar. If I recall correctly the community managed to get to six of the seven checkpoints, but also found a completely different way to skip the whole section so it's a bit of a moot point now, aside from the glory of solving it.
I linked a video about that a couple weeks back actually. The Pokiskip where taking a fifteen minute side trip was seen as potentially faster than actually doing Gaspar/Pokitaru.

berryjon posted:

Ah, I misread what you wrote. Yes, the Pokiskip*, still missing a way to get to the second waypoint. I thought you said you needed the Grindboots on Pokitaru, not to get past Poki/Gasp.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqS-ohYDedk - This is a video describing what we're talking about, and the efforts people have gone through to try and get around it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 12 - Hoven

COMMENTARY
(25:06) | NO COMMENTARY

Ice Physics!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This isn't the only planet with ice physics, there's an ice section on Oltanis too.

It's kind of funny to see Raritanium being treated as actually rare in this game. It's all over the place in the later games once it starts getting used as an upgrade material.
Although even now it's like the only item you get from an NPC without having to pay them or trade something.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Hell yeah Infra is amazing. I loved that game. Hell of a polarizing experience so be warned. Devs have been working on their open sewer spinoff for years now so god knows when we'll get the infra dlc. Or a sequel

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

This isn't the only planet with ice physics, there's an ice section on Oltanis too.

*facepalm* Right, forgot about that. It's amazing how many mechanics only get a one or two-of in the game. Giant Clank? 2 uses. Ice Physics? 2 uses. Turret section? ... 3, I think. Flying? 3. Hoverboards. 2. Grind Rails - lots actually.

mortons stork posted:

Hell yeah Infra is amazing. I loved that game. Hell of a polarizing experience so be warned. Devs have been working on their open sewer spinoff for years now so god knows when we'll get the infra dlc. Or a sequel

Watch Selenic Martian's LP here.. Highly recommended.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 13 - Gemlik Base

COMMENTARY
(24:03) | NO COMMENTARY

It's time to put Qwark down for good!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So I guess Qwark can just breathe in space huh

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The man's ego is so dense he has his own atmosphere!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 14 - Oltanis

COMMENTARY
(24:57) | NO COMMENTARY

In this level, Speedball and myself talk about the great weakness of Ratchet and Clank. When you get one without the other.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Those tesla claw bots are a lot easier to handle once you discover they can't aim down and can just duck under their beams.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Those tesla claw bots are a lot easier to handle once you discover they can't aim down and can just duck under their beams.

no comment

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
To be fair, ducking is an almost vestigial mechanic. I cannot for the life of me think of another example where it would be useful except as in the combos for jumping or throwong the wrench

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Yeah, the game is built around jumping, not going lower. So ducking under a shot like that is... unintuitive.

Also, these are the same enemies fought on Veldin back in the prologue level.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 15 - Quartu (1)

COMMENTARY
(11:21) | NO COMMENTARY

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
This level is as good a time as any to bring up the music, which I like the best in this game out of the three PS2 ones. It has a lot of character and just varies a lot in both genre and style. Quartu's wah wah pedaled guitars (they are guitars right?) are a stand-out to me all these years later.
Overall I think this game is where the composer got to be most audacious, the soundtrack is very distinctive in creating this atmosphere that's sometimes dark and foreboding, sometimes funky and fun, sometimes ominous, and often weird.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I like how Clank forgot that the whole reason Ratchet was pissed off with him in the first place was because it was Clank who fell for Quark's deception, not Ratchet. Granted, Ratchet doesn't bring the fact up either not even in a calm "You know, I haven't forgotten the time you nearly got us killed" reminder.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 16 - Kalebo III

COMMENTARY
(22:17) | NO COMMENTARY

Today, I do some races. Next time? I break the game thanks to said races.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Correction: The Glove of Doom is a gauntlet that releases man-eating robots named Agents of Doom, the punching glove weapon is known as the Walloper.

Also I love how the old man is like "I picked the wrong guy...."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Chimera-gui posted:

Correction: The Glove of Doom is a gauntlet that releases man-eating robots named Agents of Doom, the punching glove weapon is known as the Walloper.

Also I love how the old man is like "I picked the wrong guy...."

The Agents of Doom are actually a six-pack of the Gadgetbots that Clank manipulates, set to ATTACK!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 17 - Collectathon 1

COMMENTARY
(44:11) | NO COMMENTARY

It begins!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 18 - Collectathon 2

COMMENTARY
(27:00) | NO COMMENTARY

I've reached the end of my commentary backlog, so if anyone wants to help me finish this out, I've got three more Collection videos, three more Main videos, and the final NG+/All Weapons/Specials video. Join me at https://discord.gg/6YqnDaBT (and this is a 7 day invite) if you want to. Primary recording sessions are on Saturday/Sunday at 6PM Mountain, but I can be flexible.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Naughty Dog actually did try to reboot Jak and Daxter after Uncharted but they realized that they were doing so for marketing reasons rather than being genuinely passionate about the project and they felt like they were doing a disservice to to what they believed fans wanted which led to the reboot getting scrapped and team creating The Last of Us.

Also the Plumber became Insomniac's favorite running joke, appearing in every game to make meta jokes to the point Kalon and Ape started calling him God.

Also the decline in mascot platformers wasn't so much a decline in mascot characters in general but more a decline in platformers as a genre altogether. Microsoft did not want Master Chief as the X Box's mascot because had a generic armored soldier design, no discernible personality and Halo's age rating which was why they initially pushed Blinx the Time Sweeper as their console's mascot until he proved unpopular.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Sorry for the delay, I ran out of commentary, and all my co-commentators decided to go on vacation at the same time.

Video 19 - Collectathon 3

COMMENTARY
(33:52) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Almost done the Collectathon videos. Then we're back to the game itself.

Video 20 - Collectathon 4

COMMENTARY
(21:50) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The last Collection Video!

Video 21 - Collectathon 5

COMMENTARY
(19:49) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Guess what? We're out of the Collection Videos, and it's back to the plot!

Video 22 - Quartu (2)

COMMENTARY
(14:01) | NO COMMENTARY

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And now Ratchet has a personal stake and thus reason to want Drek dead whereas before Ratchet was, by his own admission, gunning for Quark while Drek would've been taken down with him.

It was only after Quark was cast to Oltanis in humiliation that Ratchet accepted that Drek needed to be stopped after seeing the damage Drek had done to Gorda City even then it more out of duty to Clank than a vendetta like with Quark.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Sorry for the technical issues.

Video 23 - Drek's Fleet

COMMENTARY
(27:26) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 24 - Veldin

COMMENTARY
(41:39) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 24 - New Game Plus and Extras

COMMENTARY
(27:23)

In which I use the RYNO to its best effect, clear out a boss with stupid speed, and then go through and in the extras video, show off all the stuff that you get in NG+, like the other Gold Weapons, and the special extras. The last video is presented without commentary as there's a lot of talking in by people in the extras. (EDIT: And I just fixed the Link to NG+ Video, sorry!)

berryjon fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 3, 2022

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't remember how I scraped together the bolts to do it, but I actually did manage to buy the RYNO before Veldin the first time I played this game. Used it to tear apart Drek; I never actually fought a challenging version of the final boss until the second time I played through, whenever that was!

Drek is still my favourite of the Ratchet and Clank villains, I think. He's more genuinely evil than Qwark or Nefarious, and not as melodramatic as the plots in the PS3 games (and I only played as far as Crack In Time so I couldn't comment on anything after that). Maybe it's just that being the first game it set the benchmark for me, but none of the other plots since managed to measure up in terms of what the bad guy was trying to do (even if the other game's plots are all better in other ways).
And I still crack a smile at the cash register noise when Drek talks about how he's in it for the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
This was the only game in the series I played growing up and I still enjoy it.