Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Green Goblin…WHO WAS ON CRACK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LA media getting saucy
https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1499626858899337220

Really long setup but Westbrook has been channeling his inner Dom Toretto in all his press conferences so he had to get that generic answer out of the way

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 4, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

yesssss
https://twitter.com/BrendenNunesNBA/status/1499919687118843905

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DeMarcus Cousins is BACK

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lol even Magic thinks only 2 of the 3 are top 75

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's very odd seeing a large contingent of Kings media personalities alternating between "we got the best player in the trade. Look how much better the team is" and "Fox and Sabonis need some help there just isn't anything else on the roster"

Both statements can be true at the same time but it's also just a bunch of empty talk around the team just spinning its wheels

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 6, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh no Omri my beautiful boy please stop

https://twitter.com/Casspi18/status/1500344349330190337

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Socks on sand???

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EPL 3.0
https://twitter.com/mccannsportslaw/status/1500985708714024961?s=21

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings social media is wild right now with people trying to out smug one another about who was right over the Halliburton trade

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

iamsosmrt posted:

Is piss-poor management a curse? Outside of like that infamous Lakers series 20 years ago, the majority of Kings failures seem a little too consciously self-inflicted to be curse worthy. Admittedly I haven't followed them closely, have they had a lot of strokes of genuine bad luck outside of maybe lottery balls not falling their way?

Prior to Fox they hadn't jumped up in the lottery in a very long time. Maybe never even once in the Sacramento era? Bagley was the first time they drafted in the top 3 since Billy Owens. But of course they made their own bad luck in the lottery with bad picks.

Most of the Kings woes stems from bad decisions compounding on themselves. You can pretty much trace the pattern of bad decisions back to the source like a Rube Goldberg machine of misery.

The Maloofs go broke like the mini-Trump knockoffs they were playing at because of the real estate bubble burst

The Maloofs were trying to sell the team and Vivek was a hail mary attempt at putting together an ownership group. He was relatively cash poor and had to bring in a hodgepodge of various other minority owners to put together a rich enough offer to match Seattle's.

Vivek came in and made a bunch of bad decisions. Hiring PDA was absolutely one of them because hiring a corporate brown noser who loved playing politics was just a horrendous fit next to a tech bro who thinks he can figure out anything.

The minority owners create a circus of their own. Mark Mastrov was the first name brought in. He didn't have the capital to be the lead owner and probably was a bit pissy about that and wanted to be treated as someone more than just silent money. Other minority owners start demanding things like being allowed into the draft war room and also tried calling other teams on their own to make trades. PDA is too busy playing games with Vivek to tighten up the operations and Vivek is a tech bro that thinks chaos is a good thing

PDA and Chris Mullin hate Mike Malone and orchestrate his firing as soon as Cousins got meningitis. Vivek assumed Mullin would step into the void after all that criticism but apparently never learned in the corporate world that the dude doing all the complaining about someone isn't going to be the one to assume responsibility and fix stuff. Mullin is now on the outs and Vivek has to scramble

Minority owners are pissed. Rumblings and Kings record are so bad George Karl was hired as a hail mary to fix things. George Karl sucks.

Karl hates Cousins, minority owners are running wild and hate Vivek, team hates the front office. Vivek brings in Vlade to be a "bridge builder". Charismatic guy with clout who people love and respect. PDA instantly bristles and tries to keep Vlade out of the loop. Eventually PDA gets canned and Vlade fully assumes those responsibilities. Vlade freezes out the minority owners and finally brings some order to the front office, but does that by surrounding himself by a very small circle of people, one of which is his handsome but unqualified best friend.

Vlade sucks at his job and makes such decisions as the Cousins trade, Papa John, the salary dump with the Sixers that cost us pick swaps and a first in exchange for cap room that we weren't able to use on like our first 3 targets and instead spent on Kosta Koufos and a one year rental of Rajon Rondo, etc. Just bad at his job and doesn't know the minutiae of the CBA.

Vivek, still smarting from the last front office debacle and the STAUKAS? memes, remains comparatively hands off. Vlade is running the show. Vlade is also bad at his job and after the previous laughed at gently caress-ups is given an experienced baby sitter. Eventually this baby sitter becomes Brandon Williams. Vlade drafts Bagley over Luka. Brandon Williams is a HUGE Bagley fan. A bunch of explanations can be given to that but I won't bother

The Kings have their first glimmer of success in forever. But Joerger gets into it with Brandon Williams over Bagley not doing much and Luka looking amazing. Joerger is prickly and didn't squash the beef when Vlade asked him to and instead made a spectacle during practice. At the end of the season Vivek rewards Vlade by giving him an extension and taking off his training wheels. Vlade has the freedom to fire both Brandon Williams and Joerger and does so in large part to him hating team drama

Vivek realizes Vlade is actually kind of bad at his job and his big moves all failed. Vlade gets pushed out. Monte is hired.

Part of Monte's pitch is that he can get this team back into the playoffs without a massive rebuild. Can build around Fox and have success. Whether he actually believes this or it was just what he said in the interview to get the job, this is what Monte's career is tied to now. The consecutive losing streak places added pressure.

Monte opts to keep Fox instead of trading him for parts and starting over around Haliburton. Fox and Sabonis is now the way forward for the team, who isn't very good right now.

I will say that Monte hasn't sacrificed any picks, and with the team being so bad we have a chance of breaking the cycle if we have some lottery luck. Also he'll have an opportunity to select his own coach. Most likely though we'll stay in the 6-8 range, if we don't trade it for some experienced help, and go into next season with a team built around Fox, Sabonis, Barnes, and maybe Jerami Grant.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 8, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

iamsosmrt posted:

drat, is that a list you had written down somewhere else? I was generally familiar with most of it, but I hadn't seen it all summed up like that. Thanks for sharing. I wish you the best of NBA luck, would be happy for you if the Kings win a title.

no just stuff I've kept in my head over the years. I'm an encyclopedia of misery

also it brings me more comfort believing that this is a logical continual chain of events that just need to be broken instead of the team being forever cursed.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 8, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Its a euro thing. We had an exchange about it a few pages back maybe a couple weeks ago. These guys were playing AAU together and see the euros as interlopers taking spots their friends could have. It’s very chauvinistic

Luka was an AAU baller too?!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spacebump's point is that Luka hates Gobert too so it's not a strictly Euro thing

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Does Russell Westbrook know that continually and publicly telling people to not call him Westbrick because it bothers him isn't going to make the problem any better?

It's a full on Streisand Effect going on now

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 9, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there a reason it has to be more complicated than maybe he just isn't that fun or pleasant to be around? I have to assume some dudes in the NBA are just sort of lame and people don't like them much.

When the pandemic started there were all those pieces talking about how annoying he was to be around for even his own teammates and him becoming Typhoid Mary was just another thing to add to the pile

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sabonis participating in the stealth tank

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://twitter.com/sbn_ricky/status/1501600409223409664?s=21

Bronny james is Looking like a Lonzo ball, Alex Caruso, Danny Green type of player

A player The Lakers send away?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings twitter is fighting itself over the definition of "win now move" and smugness over Fox being good again. Season has broken everyone.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I still like Fox but his flaws have been exposed and the Kings best player putting up big stats on a losing team is a song we've heard a bunch before. The people dissecting Monte's speech to prove it wasn't a win now move are missing the point that we traded a very young, cheap, continually improving asset who is flexible enough to work in any direction the team chooses to build around two more expensive and flawed players. Even if picks weren't given up or theoretical trove of young assets relinquished, the team is locked in the direction of...winning around this core. The fact that we are still losing a bunch and haven't lost ground on a tank effort seems to be a feature to these people and not a bug.

Seriously though, we have our top 3 players on the team and playing and we are still losing games. I know the rest of the roster is thin and the excuse is Monte isn't done and we still have a pick coming. But if you are below .500 with your core all playing then you probably don't have a good core. Long term hope still rests on us hitting it out of the park in the draft and getting a good coach which is the same place we were 2 months ago.

Also all this talk about Sabonis unlocking Fox is a bit over stated. Fox is playing well now because Haliburton is gone and he's the lead ball handler now. There is some fun synergy between the two of them on PNRs where they are both rolling to the hoop at once. But most of their PNRs seem to start well within the arc only this isn't a Nash/Amare or CP3/Chandler automatic lob. A lot of success seems to come from other teams not realizing they just need an extra guy in there to clog the paint or both defenders can just drop back

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 10, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

I do think that move was way more about making the playoffs next season, not this season. That's still a win-now move though, your setting your core and there's not a whole lot else that's going to happen barring a drafted guy blowing up or finding a gem somewhere.

What you really want to see is a stretch coming up real soon where they start putting things together, even if it doesn't amount to anything but with only like 14 games left in the season the clock is really ticking.

You play them together and try to get them to click...and they don't. Draft pick is still preserved but that's a bad and worrying look because 20 some games is actually a good amount of time to see something. Or they do click but the team still loses, which goes back to my original point. Or they click and the Kings win meaningless games at the end of the season again and now are drafting at the back end of the lottery again. Also not ideal.

Seems like the ideal scenario would have been the Kings make the playin and could pretend they made the playoffs, everything else is just rationalization

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

I dunno, Wolves won a bunch of meaningless games last season and it actually got them in a nice place to start this season, and I think it helped the FO target some specific players that have helped them round into a playoff-team. I mean, this is a first round out team, so this isn't magic, but if you're basically going to be stuck with your core for the next 3 years I'd rather have a promising end to the season at the expense of a handful of draft spots.

At this point I don't think the Kings are getting back into the play-in unless they go on an absolute tear.

Kings have had win streaks at the end of the season before it's fool's gold that drops us a couple of lottery spots. The difference between Franz Wagner and Davion Mitchell if you will. Hype and momentum going into the season doesn't work on its own either because we've had that too

It actually worked for the Wolves (and Suns) because they have a better core than the Kings have had

I get trading for Sabonis now to see what a Fox and Sabonis pairing looks like was part of the appeal. But you don't really need an up close look to see what you need to put around those two players. They are open books at this point. You didn't need 20 games to figure out that you need shooting, defense, and shooting around those two.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 10, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

iamsosmrt posted:

How would you feel if they began a blatant "Process" I guess more in the vein of OKC at this point? It sucks that they've seemingly cratered the value of their top existing assets at this point but in any case it feels like they need a major culture overhaul to get some positive momentum and goodwill.

I've always been ok with Monte not blatantly Processing because there have been plenty of examples of teams that didn't go that route and managed to rebuild around what they had. Part of that belief was in Monte swooping in to get a distressed asset at a discount to put around Fox and (later on) Haliburton. Unfortunately, the distressed asset turned out to be Fox and he had to trade his most valuable asset to execute his plan. A plan that we shouldn't expect to start seeing fruit from until his third year. You could argue tearing down to studs wouldn't have taken that much longer to get to the same place.

As for now, they've got possible but narrow path to improvement. People keep citing Chicago as a blueprint but there is no way Sacramento will ever have an off-season where they land a DeMar DeRozan, Lonzo Ball, and Alex Caruso. They have to hit big in the draft and that #6 spot they have now seems very precarious and one meaningless win streak away from blowing. Maybe they can trade Holmes for something, but his value is probably in the toilet after this season and doubtful he can build it back up playing backup C to Sabonis.

Honestly, just ride out the next 2 years and if it fails not only will Sabonis be gone but so will Monte. As much as it would suck seeing the team continually fail, it would probably help the reputation of the organization to let Monte do his thing for 4 years and blatantly fail so maybe the next round of candidates don't get scared off.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 10, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

new phone who dis in real life

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

a new study bible! posted:

Ben Simmons quit the Sixers the same way I quit Total Wine.

The Sixers are that gym membership you hate and are trying to escape

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 11, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Maestro posted:

Ben Simmons talk is bad enough, but football too now?

What if I told you baseball...IS BACK

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don’t kink shame me

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://streamable.com/unp8ee

https://streamable.com/stoo9l

https://streamable.com/kipp08

https://streamable.com/qys0gp

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 11, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1502114102923214877

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

lol
https://twitter.com/AngryKlaySZN11/status/1502114517488005123

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Two things Kyrie hates
vaccine mandates and philly fans

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If this doesn’t end with Ben Simmons dunking to knock the Sixers out in Game 7 then something is broken in this simulation we are in

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I mean aren’t the Kings better then Lakers currently?

what? no! never think that

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well as equally bad then?

Record wise the Kings are comfortably behind the Lakers. Medium term prospects you could argue the Kings come out ahead but barring some lottery luck or an uncharacteristically amazing off-season they'll most likely still be the same mediocre team they've always been until they blow it up.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Seems like just yesterday Phoenix was considered a weak 2 seed

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Extremely funny for the people who said these sort of things to pretend that it was some mythical other person.

I thought the Suns weren’t legit championship contenders last season but I also know that I know jack poo poo about how teams will do which is why I never participate in any of those prediction poll games or gamble and quite frequently say my takes are horrible

I also thought Paul was washed at the end of his Houston stint but I don’t think that was a horrible position to have at the time. The wonders of vegan diets weren’t yet fully comprehended

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 14, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lol if Vivek and Broke Boy are coming for your franchise

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My thing with Miami was that regardless of seeding or regular season record they would be a pain in the rear end playoff matchup. But they’ve been legit good and have the #1 seed. Unless Butler gets too ridiculously locked in that’s a scary team to face without home court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

I don't know about Snyder, but often teams hire coaches to do scouting or consulting when they loser their job so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Back before Thibs got rehired he basically spent his year dicking around dropping in on every teams’ practice